WB VS STK SCORES

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Not sure if I would call the conditions perfect, it was hot and windy...and both teams struggled to convert.

Agree with a lot that has been said.

Great to see Luke Ball have a ripper, he deserves it
Bakes should have a good year by the looks, love his passion
Was impressed to see MG give it a go, took some great marks
BJ great as expected
Milne did play, but didn't have a great day out
With McEvoy, the delivery was not fantastic into the forward line
I am still undecided with Gilbert in the forward line, caught glimpses
Last edited by SainterK on Fri 27 Feb 2009 11:32pm, edited 1 time in total.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Thanks to all.

“Yeah….nah””
Sobraz
SS Life Member

Thanks all for the reports...

Great to here Eljay get a few wraps... I recon this kid can really play and will make a very good impact on our team this year... Glad to see he's bulked up abit; hopefully he'll gain the confidence to take them on at the top level....

Good to hear Gards did well also...

cheers again...

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:Thanks all for the reports...

Great to here Eljay get a few wraps... I recon this kid can really play and will make a very good impact on our team this year... Glad to see he's bulked up abit; hopefully he'll gain the confidence to take them on at the top level....

Good to hear Gards did well also...

cheers again...
Eljay works hard, I like the kid...

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
ashjam wrote:Very disappointed in what I saw of Tom Lynch...runs with floppy hands which is a terrible sign..
and a 'ranga to boot.

surely you cannot write him off on one view. he's a big guy and they tend to be slower bloomers.
Maybe he was preparing to take off

Winmarvellous
Club Player

Hope Gardi gets up this year. If Kosi STILL has the yips, it could be a long year indeed.

MasonCJ2
Club Player

McEvoy = Ruckman

Simple as that. I wouldn't stress too much. In fact, Kos is predominantly that as well and will finish up with an Ottens (Richmond) reputation if he doesn't play on the ball more, but the lack of other options is arguably going to hinder his career. Hopefully McEvoy isn't held back from rucking experience for too long - I appreciate the experience and potential of King and Gardiner in the short-term, but big Mac should be getting some decent runs in the next 24 months. I wonder if big Gard can spark us this year?

We are a sniff
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

McEvoy will become a whipping boy soon enough due to him not coming on as quickly as the little forum wants

truth is he will probably take longer and thats fine...we are doing well with key talls both ends of the ground and our ruck stock should last at least another season

of the limited time where he has lead into the right area and had the ball delivered well he has shown super hands for a person so young and a player that tall and somewhat lanky

there is major upside

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

FULLTIME DETAILS - NAB CHALLENGE

ST KILDA 2.1 5.5 7.8 8.13 (61)
WESTERN BULLDOGS 1.3 4.4 5.5 5.5 (35)

Goals: St Kilda: L Ball 2 S Gilbert 2 A McQualter L Hayes N Dal Santo J Gram. Western Bulldogs: S Higgins J Hill L Picken M Lynch D Cross.
Best: St Kilda: L Ball L Montagna Z Dawson N Heyne X Clarke S Gilbert M Gardiner. Western Bulldogs: D Cross N Eagleton J Hill S Higgins D Addison L Picken.
Crowd: 1,200 approx at Princes Park, Melbourne.|
Injuries: Nil.
Reports: Nil.

http://sportal.com.au/mediaplayer/audio ... -back-4725 - Lyon audio

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

stinger wrote:
ashjam wrote:
Eljay Connors will be an AFL player and is very similar to what Matthew Lappin was.

thanks for the report and the comment on ej

i was at the gold coast match and was struggling to remember who he reminded me of with his quick hands and natural football ability.......you are spot on with the comparison to skinny lappin......spot on.......the kid can certainly pla...... :wink: :wink: :wink:
So you were on the GC, disappointed you didn't come and have a drink with us.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
Saints43
Club Player

Hardly any physicality in the second or third quarters (I only got there at quarter time). The last quarter toughened up a bit and we dominated the Dogs without managing to hit the scoreboard. One goal in the quarter.

Zac Dawson won a couple of contests against Brad Johnson. Did pretty well.

Luke Miles has a real go and looks pretty smart. Disposal was questionable but so was everyone elses – both teams. Probably just early season rustiness. Anyway I’m bookmarking Luke as ‘Saints43-great-white-hope’. So that’s the end of him.

Jack Steven can certainly get the ball. Weird running style.

Geary covers the ground as well as anyone. Great runner.

Baker is a smart footy player. Only got burned for pace once by an aboriginal doggie with a number in the 30’s. – not sure who. Makes really good decisions. RL is right when he talks up what a good addition he will be to the team this year.

Lenny & BJ looked absolute class. BJ has a presence on the field. Ball was good. He kicked both sides of the body which is good. Gardiner was good. X looked lively. Ross T is a joy to watch – the reason the crowd cheer his every move is that he is a reminder of the flair that has been drummed out of the club. Kosi was OKish. LFisher is hard at it. Sam Gilbert is the 3rd tall answer. Ray moves well – exactly what we thought we were getting. Dal always seems quiet to me. Eljay handballed smartly a few times.

Is fat-guts Schneider going to make an appearance atany stage this pre-season?

Did anyone else notice Ayce Cordy? What a terrific runner for his height. Really skinny but a great mover.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

MasonCJ2 wrote:McEvoy = Ruckman

Simple as that. I wouldn't stress too much. In fact, Kos is predominantly that as well and will finish up with an Ottens (Richmond) reputation if he doesn't play on the ball more, but the lack of other options is arguably going to hinder his career. Hopefully McEvoy isn't held back from rucking experience for too long - I appreciate the experience and potential of King and Gardiner in the short-term, but big Mac should be getting some decent runs in the next 24 months. I wonder if big Gard can spark us this year?

Agree 100% with this.... It is difficult for a natural forward to play back, and vice versa, yet ruckmen are expected to hold down a key forward position and dominate?!!?...

BigMac is a follower, and will come good when he gets an extended run on the ball...

He may be able to pinch hit forward occasionally, but as a set position its a waste of time...

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Saints43 wrote: Is fat-guts Schneider going to make an appearance atany stage this pre-season?
Haha... :lol: .... but your quite right.. He has been very much under the radar this pre season... I actually forgot about him.... Not one word or pic (even in the background) all summer...

whats the go i wonder?!!?

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:
MasonCJ2 wrote:McEvoy = Ruckman

Agree 100% with this.... It is difficult for a natural forward to play back, and vice versa, yet ruckmen are expected to hold down a key forward position and dominate?!!?...

BigMac is a follower, and will come good when he gets an extended run on the ball...

He may be able to pinch hit forward occasionally, but as a set position its a waste of time...
and look how long it took for ottens to really come into his own

patience is going to be the key with supporters on a players like kosi and big mac...they get thrown around many positions throughou their careers it surely takes long to nail down and become good at one or even two

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Kosi may be a handy follower....but he will not be a good first ruckman unless he learns to improve his ruckwork appreciably.

His tapwork is only so so.....and his positioning of, and use of, his body at a ruck contest is one of the worst going around.

With Ben...give him time . It is way too early to make any calls on a young ruckman.

The plan with Ben is for him to emerge after King and Gardy have reached their use by dates. Until then he can build his body and learn the art of ruckwork.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sat 28 Feb 2009 5:11pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

On Eljay.....he would appear to be the big improver so far this yea compared to last.

This is most promising.

Now not saying he will make it this year....but given another year of growth and weight training on his light frame, with the "football abiity", pace and skill he seems to be exhibiting he will be one to watch in 2010.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Saint Bev wrote:
stinger wrote:
ashjam wrote:
Eljay Connors will be an AFL player and is very similar to what Matthew Lappin was.

thanks for the report and the comment on ej

i was at the gold coast match and was struggling to remember who he reminded me of with his quick hands and natural football ability.......you are spot on with the comparison to skinny lappin......spot on.......the kid can certainly pla...... :wink: :wink: :wink:
So you were on the GC, disappointed you didn't come and have a drink with us.

had dinner at the golf club over the road with my sister in law and her hubby first.....saw a fair number of sainters there doing the same.......interested to see some with this year's social club scarf and cap as well......

...after seeing all the water laying around was more than pleasantly surprised to see the ground in such good nick......and no rain...even though we were under cover in the main stand...put me in a good mood......then the game started....

at half time the missus and her sister wanted to go back to the golf club.....

the side did play better after half time.....well...they could not have played any worse.......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:
Saints43 wrote: Is fat-guts Schneider going to make an appearance atany stage this pre-season?
Haha... :lol: .... but your quite right.. He has been very much under the radar this pre season... I actually forgot about him.... Not one word or pic (even in the background) all summer...

whats the go i wonder?!!?

saw him in the coaches box at the gold coast two weekends ago.....

stinger
Saintsational Legend

from todays age

'Heat, errors take their toll on Dogs

Martin Blake | February 28, 2009

W BULLDOGS 1.3 4.4 5.5 5.5 (35)

GOALS St Kilda: Ball 2, Gilbert 2, McQualter, Hayes, Dal Santo, Gram. Western Bulldogs: Higgins, Hill, Picken, Lynch, Cross.

BEST St Kilda: Ball, Montagna, Dawson, Heyne, Clarke, Gilbert, Gardiner. Western Bulldogs: Cross, Eagleton, Hill, Higgins, Addison, Picken.

CROWD about 1200 at Princes Park.

WESTERN Bulldogs coach Rodney Eade was at a loss to explain a "lamentable" skill level as his team suffered a disappointing practice match defeat by St Kilda at Princes Park last night.

Both teams struggled in debilitating heat and humidity, with Bulldog defender Lindsay Gilbee fainting at half-time and unable to continue. Another Bulldog, Stephen Tiller, complained of dizziness at the long break. Neither appeared to have any lasting effects

"I know it was hot but it was the same for the other team," said Eade. "I don't know if they didn't have enough fluids or what exactly happened."

Each team had 12 interchange players under a prior arrangement between the coaches, and they were used in the conditions. Players on the sidelines donned ice vests and cooled off under giant fans, but St Kilda's plan to carefully monitor individual game time using Champion Data was thwarted when the statistical company had a meltdown and could not provide the information. "We had to 'guesstimate' the time, which was a bit frustrating," said Saints coach Ross Lyon. "It highlights 'be prepared for anything and have a contingency in place'."

St Kilda won the match 8.13 (61) to the Bulldogs' 5.5 (35), holding Eade's team scoreless in the final quarter. But the few spectators on hands bore witness to a dreadful game with numerous skill errors, overuse of handball and few highlights.

"They (skills) were lamentable," said Eade. "I've got no idea. I honestly don't know. Normally a coach in this situation, you've got all the psychological theories and we can wheel them out, can't we, to make excuses. I know the wind was a bit swirly, but the skills were shocking."

Eade cited one incident in which the usually svelte Robert Murphy, playing his first game of the new season, brutalised a kick across goal late in the game. "You don't lose your skill over a pre-season. If you look at most games of the NAB Cup, (they're) higher intensity than this, but there've been a lot of errors. It hit home to me with Robert Murphy. He hasn't done a lot of footy work and he couldn't co-ordinate his leg to kick the ball."

Lyon put the poor standard down to teams fiddling with new strategies, in particular zone defence.

"I think it's where footy's gone a bit," he said. "I watched a bit of Richmond-Collingwood. Everyone's pressing more, there's more zone football and it's forcing more possession, which I think everyone alluded to. Everyone's still trying to crack the code."

St Kilda was marginally more impressive, welcoming back tough defender Steven Baker after a long absence. "He was rapt to be back," said Lyon. "It's been a long haul and we thought he was adequate. It's not an AFL game at its fiercest tempo, but it was reasonable in the conditions. He's taken another step forward and we're trying to get him to round one. I didn't look at him and think, 'He's an injured player and he looks unders'.

"He's a hard nut. We all know that. Opposition small forwards probably don't like playing on him. But he's had a rough road with injury and suspension. To see him come back and have that competitive spirit, he's an important part for us."

The Saints meet Richmond at Shepparton on Friday in another practice match, and hope to bring back skipper Nick Riewoldt from knee surgery. The Bulldogs, who are still without Brownlow medallist Adam Cooney, travel to Sydney.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

what a crap write up by the hun......no mentionof the saints...guess that will be par for the course this year for having the age as a sponsor....

'Lamentable' Western Bulldogs lose scrap

Jon Ralph | February 28, 2009 12:00am
Have your say!Add your comments or read what others are saying

THE Bulldogs' Round 1 side is taking shape after Jason Akermanis, Robert Murphy and Mitch Hahn returned to action in the club's practice match.

The Western Bulldogs lost by 26 points to St Kilda but the result was immaterial in a scrappy, low-quality match played in 32C heat.

The Dogs had only 10 scoring shots for the match and coach Rodney Eade said his team's skills were "lamentable".

Bulldog Lindsay Gilbee, one of the few players to elevate the standard at Visy Park, fainted at halftime in the club's makeshift rooms, while defender Stephen Tiller had a dizzy spell.

Gilbee is expected to recover quickly after slumping to the floor.

Of more lasting significance was Murphy's first game since a serious knee surgery and Akermanis's first hitout since tearing his calf six weeks ago.

A rusty Murphy played limited minutes in the second half and Akermanis was reasonable.
Related Links

Hahn also returned in his first game of the year.

"I think that was the only positive for us, was the fact we gave some guys some game time," Eade said.

"Murph looked like he had to retrain his leg to kick and Hahn and Aker and Tiller and Scott Welsh hadn't done much.

"The wind was a little bit swirly, but the skills were lamentable and most of them weren't under much pressure.

"I have got no idea (why). I honestly don't know. Normally as a coach in this situation we have all these psychological theories and we can reel them out to make excuses."

From such a low-standard game it was impossible to draw concrete conclusions, but defenders Brian Lake and Dale Morris were superb.

Brad Johnson was clearly the best player on the ground in the first half and Shaun Higgins and Daniel Cross were particularly effective in the midfield.

Adam Cooney (groin), Ryan Hargrave (ankle), Tom Williams (ankle) and Callan Ward were all rested.

The Dogs will play Sydney in Western Sydney next week.

Ayce Cordy, so impressive in last week's intra-club game, came on only midway through the third term and had few opportunities.

FULLTIME DETAILS - NAB CHALLENGE

WESTERN BULLDOGS 1.3 4.4 5.5 5.5 (35)

Goals: St Kilda: L Ball 2 S Gilbert 2 A McQualter L Hayes N Dal Santo J Gram. Western Bulldogs: S Higgins J Hill L Picken M Lynch D Cross.
Best: St Kilda: L Ball L Montagna Z Dawson N Heyne X Clarke S Gilbert M Gardiner. Western Bulldogs: D Cross N Eagleton J Hill S Higgins D Addison L Picken.
Crowd: 1,200 approx at Princes Park, Melbourne.|
Injuries: Nil.
Reports: Nil.

"

Quixote
SS Life Member

I just wrote a full page summary, went to post, had been timed-out, logged back in - lost it. :twisted:

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

i went straight after school, made it at about 4.40pm.
as said somewhere before, Jones always had the ball, but he doesnt know what to do with it!
a few times when he got it he hand past it to nobody, or kicked it to a dogs player! you just never know what he will do with it when he gets it! one of the mos frustrating players to watch.

apart from that it was all pretty good, MG took some nice marks and our back line was brilliant, although our forward line on the other hand :oops: ...if the forwards were on fire and used every chance they go i have no doubt we would of got 10 goals extra! but we won, thats all that matters

nice to meet a few people, JoffaBoy, Saint66 and i forgot the others sorry :?

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
GrumpyOne

joffaboy wrote:have to single out Column Begley.
Didn't think Colm was tall enough to earn that nickname. :wink:

ace
Saintsational Legend

Yeah! yeah! footy, footy, footy, but what about the important things.

Given that this is Carlton's ground, did they have Carlton on tank?

Was it served in plastic cups or could you get a tankard?

Has Visy Park really replaced all the seats with cardboard boxes?

Was the final score real, or simply a result of collusion?

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

GrumpyOne wrote:
joffaboy wrote:have to single out Column Begley.
Didn't think Colm was tall enough to earn that nickname. :wink:
A single colm? Rmour has it that he is a pillar of society back in Ireland.

Quix... write it up in note pad, then cut and paste it into the post :wink:

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.