sorry everyone but i think we can win it

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

sorry everyone but i think we can win it

i really do.

sorry to the doubters - rog et al. Must apologise for my optimism.

i reckon we will do it this year

i reckon bj will take the brownlow and rooey the norm smith

thanks and good night

gusto

#1 Ryder fan
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

:D Please don't apologise :wink:

karnak
Club Player

I totally agree,

I'm always optimistic, but this year it is slightly different. The stars are aligning.

Sam Gilbert you are an EXCITEMENT MACHINE!
markp
Saintsational Legend

I'm in too.... Misson has had the time he needed to sort out the fitness department, Lyon has had the time he needed to reshape the team, star players able to be released into the mid-field, good mix of keen young players pushing for selection, important returns from injury, our prized and early draft picks fit and hitting their prime.... our time is now.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:I'm in too.... Misson has had the time he needed to sort out the fitness department, Lyon has had the time he needed to reshape the team, star players able to be released into the mid-field, good mix of keen young players pushing for selection, important returns from injury, our prized and early draft picks fit and hitting their prime.... our time is now.
WHAT??? Harves has gone, we've recruited no pre-made superstars, injuries and fitness mean absolutely nothing, the dome roof is open and the sky is falling in!!! My great great grandfather supported St Kilda in 1647 and anyone who suggests we'll win is not a real supporter.

Stop talking sense, weirdo

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

i love the saints

#1 Ryder fan
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Is there any other type of Saints supporter :lol:

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

We can win it, i have that feeling this year its different feeling ( although i said this for the past 4-5 years)

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
Winmar7Fan
Club Player

Reminds me of me when I was 15

saintly_safes
Club Player

Winmar7Fan wrote:Reminds me of me when I was 15
Yeah me too, but you have to love their optimism . At what age does youthful enthusiasm & hope turn to desperation & sinnersism?

Richter
SS Life Member

Yep. Ours for the taking!

Go Saints!

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Solar
Saintsational Legend

nup, blues are a monty...

cousins for the brownlow

:roll:

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
degruch
Saintsational Legend

saintly_safes wrote:
Yeah me too, but you have to love their optimism . At what age does youthful enthusiasm & hope turn to desperation & sinnersism?
Sinnersism? You're never gonna make past the year 10 spelling bee.

cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
saintly_safes wrote:
I think you'll find that saintly_safes is talking about a philosophical perspective driven by adherence the 7 deadly sins and how they enhance our lives when you do them well.

Nothing wrong with a bit of Lust, Gluttony, Greed and Sloth. Even wrath is OK in a Jack Bauer kind of way. Envy just gives you something to strive for Pride... if you've done something well why shouldn't you be proud?

And I'm sad to say that the OP is on the money. We'll be doing the Belvedere shuffle in September when it all goes to plan.

saintly_safes
Club Player

degruch wrote:
saintly_safes wrote:
Didn't know how to spell it so I took a guess :oops: As I have said many times spelling & grammer are not my strong points but I think most people understsand what I meant.Cheers saintly_safes :wink:

saintly_safes
Club Player

cowboy18 wrote:
degruch wrote:
saintly_safes wrote:
I think you'll find that saintly_safes is talking about a philosophical perspective driven by adherence the 7 deadly sins and how they enhance our lives when you do them well.

Nothing wrong with a bit of Lust, Gluttony, Greed and Sloth. Even wrath is OK in a Jack Bauer kind of way. Envy just gives you something to strive for Pride... if you've done something well why shouldn't you be proud?

And I'm sad to say that the OP is on the money. We'll be doing the Belvedere shuffle in September when it all goes to plan.
Not exactly sure what the message is here?Dont know who Jack Bauer is?But I get the last line.I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed thats for sure but I actually do admire the young sainters (& old) for their positive approach & enthusiasm.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

well i am in the middle i reckon

i am 30 now have grown up and lived in bayside and been a sainter my whole life. that meant sitting on my dads shoulders in the animal enclosure with my NW #7 beanie all those years ago.

I have optimism this year for a number of reasons. I think quite a few in the playing group are going to step up. I think that the coaching team and players are really starting to gell and some of rossy's plans will really come to fruition. i don't think geelong / hawthorn are really that far ahead of us and i reckon we are in with a red hot chance.

so i wouldn't say i have youthful optimism - i think i have renewed enthusiasm and I believe.

#1 Ryder fan
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

We are no guarantee, and we aren't the favourites, but of course we
can win it!!

We are starting the season on paper as one of the top half dozen sides in the comp. I'm not sure that anyone would have rated the Hawks any higher than the 4th-6th best team a year ago today..

As Lyon said last night, we have a good list which, as it has been for the last five years or so, is built around a core of our golden draft picks of 2000-03: Riewoldt, Kosi, Ball, X, Dal, Goose, Joey, BJ, Chips and Raph - along with a key group of earlier recruits in Max, Blake, Baker, Lenny and Milne.

Yes, we have lost Harves, Gehrig and Hamill over recent seasons. And Stephen King is our only proven first rate recruit since the end of 2003 (Gilbert looked the goods in 2007, but faded last season).

We managed to make the top 4 last year without Hamill and (effectively) Gehrig, with Harves having a weaker season than he had for a few years, with Baker, Goose, X and Raph out for most of the season and Ball less than fully fit. Also, Lenny, Schneider, Joey, Dal and Kosi all had seasons which were significantly below what we know they are capable of.

Imagine if in 2009:
- Raph continues to show the form that he did at the end of 2008
- two out of Ball, X, Baker, Goose get back to reasonable fitness
- two out of Lenny, Joey, Dal, Schneider and Kosi return to their top form
- BJ has the great season he is threatening to have
- two out of Armo, Steven, McEvoy, Geary, Connors, Begley, Dawson, Lynch and Heyne break into the top 22
- Ray delivers something worth receiving
- for once, we don't suffer any season-ending injuries to leading players (over and above Dempster and, perhaps, Allen)

Put all that together and I would call it at least a 20 per cent improvement on the talent we had available during 2008.

Is a 20 per cent improvement enough to lift us to a premiership? It ought to take us close!!

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote:well i am in the middle i reckon

i am 30 now have grown up and lived in bayside and been a sainter my whole life. that meant sitting on my dads shoulders in the animal enclosure with my NW #7 beanie all those years ago.

I have optimism this year for a number of reasons. I think quite a few in the playing group are going to step up. I think that the coaching team and players are really starting to gell and some of rossy's plans will really come to fruition. i don't think geelong / hawthorn are really that far ahead of us and i reckon we are in with a red hot chance.

so i wouldn't say i have youthful optimism - i think i have renewed enthusiasm and I believe.
I am also turning 30 this year, and have grown up following the saints.

Timing is a huge factor and our list seems to have a healthy maturity about them, there is now quite a few 24-25 year olds that should be at a good place mentally and physically. It's about a consistent improvement across the board, you'll see...

Anyway, expectation is my right as a supporter, I expect us to do well...

Winmarvellous
Club Player

I'm 33. And I don't see a premiership in our trophy case at the end of the year. Top 4 at best. Doesn't mean I won't be egging the boys on and hoping against hope they prove me wrong. I love the club, whether we win or not. Just because I don't think we can win it this year (especially with our forward line), doesn't make me less of a supporter.

CaptainRiewoldt
Club Player

Dont see a premiership in 2009??

why NOT?? we are primed!!!!

Obviously it comes down to injuries but come on we will be there in the top 4 vying for the flag dont worry!!!

With maguire, bakes, dawson inclusions we will have the BEST defense in the league.

I am confident in Gilberts foward abilities. Goddard, Montagna, Ball, Dal Santo, Armitage, king, gardiner, ray, Gram WHAT A MIDFIELD!!
the clarke brothers show their true calling at half back finnally both in the park. We have a great fitness team behind us those hamstring and soft tissue injuries are behind us this new team has had us on the right tracvk for over 12 months now!!

I think we will be great this year. In 2004 we were young VERY young and I remember thinking wait until riewoldt, kosi, clarkes, ball, dal, montagna, maguire are all mid twenties with true seasoned bodies.... well its 2009 they ARE PRIMED!!!

i think we forget how good Ball is. Just enjoy the year everyone this could well be it. If its not then ok like hte previous poster said 'WE LOVE STKILDA SAINTS' not if they win the flag its a religion a lifestyle that is unexplainable. Doesnt matter if they win it matters that they do us proud and in this changing times they SURVIVE. Stkilda football club is in the top 100 football clubs (soccer, NFL included) that is something. remember that.

GO SAINTS. be proud!! No reason we cant do it this year. the players are fit we have the cattle NO DOUBT!!

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

I sent battye a 1200-word-count article for this site on this exact subject. Why we didn't make it in '04, where the Cats succeeded where the Saints failed, and so on. Cross-referenced with half a dozen journalistic pieces from both news houses.

It is quickly running out of shelf life. If it doesn't go up soon I'm just going to post it here myself.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:
saintly_safes wrote:

neither will some of those painfully pathetic sth african cricket commentators....i heard one of the say.....runlessness.......ffs :roll: :roll: :roll:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.