N Burke and R Harvey cant split them

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:
Winmar7Fan wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
BigMart wrote:What Harves did over 21 years is more than any other player achieved - perhaps by double....

He is without doubt the best EVER!!!!

If you think there has been a more skilful footballer (winning the ball in footy is perhaps the most important skill) I think we should bring out the 97-98 tapes.......or maybe the 92/94 tapes, maybe even the 2003 tapes....
If you think that Harvey, however brilliant he was, was a more skillful player than either Baldock or Stewart then maybe it's time for you to get a copy of the old black and white films from the 60's when Baldock and Stewart were playing.

You've obvioulsy forgotten or never seen what they, especially Baldock was capable of doing.

Afterall, he didn't give himself the nickname of Mr Magic - the football world did that.
Considered by many to have been the greatest ball handler and side-stepper the game has ever seen.

I seem to recall even the modest Robert Harvey marvelling at the Doc's ability to get the footy and avoid being tackled.

They were just before my time but if we go into the most skillful player could either of these two

Play and pinpoint perfectly off left or right foot up to a long distance?

Dominate in the mid field with ferocious tackling ability?

Then go up forward if needed and play tall taking spectacular high flying marks and kick up to 6 goal from up to 60 meters out?

I know a lot of people penalise him because he wasn't as disciplined and as great a club man as Harvey which is a bloody shame because IMO NO ONE could do it all and moved with such grace as Winmar.

I've never seen a player generate so much electricity with a crowd when near the ball. I know I was jumping out of my skin.

When your getting the old 60s Baldock black and white films out also get out the videos of the 80s (and these will be in colour). :wink:
Stewart to Baldock was akin to the Krakouer bros passing to each other.

Baldock played CHF at 5 foot 10inches tall. Every week his opponent was taller than him.

Both players were eqaully adept at left or right foot.
I don't recall either player kicking goals from 60 mtrs out - but then very, very few players were capable of kicking those distances for a variety of reasons including (but not limited to):-
their boots were much more cumbersome than todays
the footy was more often than not waterlogged due to the condition of the ground and weather.

Notwithstanding that it was very common to see Stewart pinpoint dropkick passes to Baldock and others up to 50 yards away.

In terms of courage - neither could be faulted.

So, IMO whilst Nicky had all that you claimed he did, nand is on my list of 10 greatest Saints, he's at a level below Baldock, Lockett, Stewart, and Harvey.
Fair enough I really don't have enough past on Baldock and Stewart but I'm also not saying as far as greatest all time Saints but overall skill and talent and in that department I would rate him higher than Lockett and Harvey.

Even though Harvey and Lockett are totally opposite type players Winmar could play both spots very well. How well could Harvey play FF or Plugger in the Mid field?

Harvey even though he had incredible evasive skills, a consistent ball magnet and longevity could only play off one side and his disposal still wasn't super sharp including shots at goal even though yes his chip passing was good ( I feel I'm going to be shot for this).

I just believe Winmar was talented in almost all areas which is very rare among all champions.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

And that's the beauty of debates/discussions based on opinions.

There is no right or wrong. :)

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:And that's the beauty of debates/discussions based on opinions.

There is no right or wrong. :)
Well said.

mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

And from memory - just to further Winmar7 POV Nicky played two games at FF in 1989 - replacing plugger at the MCG
9 goals Rd 21, 1989
8 goals Rd 20, 1989

He might have made a great FF!!
The trouble was that he was needed at the time - to kick out at FB - mark at CHB - pass to the wing - where he could pick it up and spear a pass to Lockett.

How about those days when he could pick it up at half-back (crowd leaps to their feet) , take a bounce and land it on Pluggers chest 30m out :)

Them were the days - and if you tell that to the young folks they wont believe ya!

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Magic,

I listed Harvey's achievements......did not make them up.....they are NOT opinion......THEY ARE FACT....

He was the BEST PLAYER in the AFL in 1997 and 1998.......do you disagree?????

How does a player in the same competition as - Wayne Carey, Darren Jarman, Michael Voss, Steve Silvagni, Gavin Brown, James Hird, Gary Hocking, Shane Crawford, David Neitz, Gavin Wanganeen, Matthew Richardson, Paul Kelly, Peter Matera, Chris Grant - rate above all of them......by media, umpires, players and coaches........and yet not get rated where he should by his own????? did we take him for granted - he dominated games of footy.....plain and simple

NO he did not take hangers

NO he did not kick bags

He was just BOG every second game

You obviously rate Baldock very highly.......fair enough, he was a legend of footy - I grew up in NW Tasmania and the medal for B&F in my league was named after him so he is not unknown to me, my old man watched him play for Latrobe and East Devonport - and Baldock is the reason I go for the saints - as with a lot of wegiens...

However

I witnessed the entire 21 years of Harves......and often left the ground stunned about how good he was.....actually this happened countless times

I have seen great players.....some as more skilled in certain areas.....but none better than Harves...IMO

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

mbogo wrote:And from memory - just to further Winmar7 POV Nicky played two games at FF in 1989 - replacing plugger at the MCG
9 goals Rd 21, 1989
8 goals Rd 20, 1989

He might have made a great FF!!
The trouble was that he was needed at the time - to kick out at FB - mark at CHB - pass to the wing - where he could pick it up and spear a pass to Lockett.

How about those days when he could pick it up at half-back (crowd leaps to their feet) , take a bounce and land it on Pluggers chest 30m out :)

Them were the days - and if you tell that to the young folks they wont believe ya!
Spot on definitely the most exciting electrifying player to watch IMO and even moved with a lot of grace. If he wasn't playing it took a lot of interest out of the game for me.

He gave me my best memories of football and I have an enormous soft spot for him regardless of any criticism.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Magic,

I listed Harvey's achievements......did not make them up.....they are NOT opinion......THEY ARE FACT....

He was the BEST PLAYER in the AFL in 1997 and 1998.......do you disagree?????

How does a player in the same competition as - Wayne Carey, Darren Jarman, Michael Voss, Steve Silvagni, Gavin Brown, James Hird, Gary Hocking, Shane Crawford, David Neitz, Gavin Wanganeen, Matthew Richardson, Paul Kelly, Peter Matera, Chris Grant - rate above all of them......by media, umpires, players and coaches........and yet not get rated where he should by his own????? did we take him for granted - he dominated games of footy.....plain and simple

NO he did not take hangers

NO he did not kick bags

He was just BOG every second game

You obviously rate Baldock very highly.......fair enough, he was a legend of footy - I grew up in NW Tasmania and the medal for B&F in my league was named after him so he is not unknown to me, my old man watched him play for Latrobe and East Devonport - and Baldock is the reason I go for the saints - as with a lot of wegiens...

However

I witnessed the entire 21 years of Harves......and often left the ground stunned about how good he was.....actually this happened countless times

I have seen great players.....some as more skilled in certain areas.....but none better than Harves...IMO
BigMart,
Nobody, including me, is saying anything derogatory about Harvey. IN FACT everybody has said he was a champion.
Unfortunately you have taken umbrage that not everybody agrees with your opinion (not fact) that he was the 'best ever' saint.

You never saw Baldock or Stewart or the other Tasmanian legend from the era, Verdun Howell, play for us and yet you can categorically state that Harves was better than them?

I never saw Bill Mohr, Neil Roberts, Brian Gleeson, Roy Cazaly, Colin Watson, Dave McNamara, Harold Bray et al play so I'm not in a position to rate them against those I have seen.
But I can repeat that of all the players I've seen play for the Saints (since about 1962) my opinion is that Baldock was the Best, just in front of Plugger and then Stewart/Harvey.

As for Harvey being the Best player in the AFL in 1997/1998, what facts are you basing that on?
Your opinion
My opinion
The Umpire's opinion?

There are absolutely no facts involved here - only opinions. On this subject you seem to have a real problem distinguishing between opinion and fact.

And posting belligerent, sarcastic, bombastic, and insulting replies doesn't turn your opinions into facts.

They are now and always will be only opinions.

bergsone
SS Life Member

I am lucky enough to have seen all the greats from early 60s,got to agree with magic about Baldock,seeing him line up at CHF on often 2 or more opponents and run rings around em was something to behold,a freak.The old footage doesnt do justice to the greats of the game compared to what we have today,butgreat they were .Then again Baldock,Harvey,Lockett,Burke etc all greats,who am I to say who is the best,it is just My Your opinion

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Um....

the fact he won every media award(media), won the AFLPA MVP award (Players), The Brownlow medals (umpires), ALL Aust (past players), B&F Saints coaching panel), Leading Possion winner (talent)...so I just went with popular opinion

If you do not believe he was the best player in that period, the you were not following AFL footy.....

How did you compare Baldock and Harvey.........they played in different eras, against different players in different positions

I find it hard to understand how you made the comparion?????

stinger
Saintsational Legend

bergsone wrote:I am lucky enough to have seen all the greats from early 60s,got to agree with magic about Baldock,seeing him line up at CHF on often 2 or more opponents and run rings around em was something to behold,a freak.The old footage doesnt do justice to the greats of the game compared to what we have today,butgreat they were .Then again Baldock,Harvey,Lockett,Burke etc all greats,who am I to say who is the best,it is just My Your opinion

and we are f****** lucky to be able to say that they all played in our team........ 8-)

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Um....

the fact he won every media award(media), won the AFLPA MVP award (Players), The Brownlow medals (umpires), ALL Aust (past players), B&F Saints coaching panel), Leading Possion winner (talent)...so I just went with popular opinion

If you do not believe he was the best player in that period, the you were not following AFL footy.....

How did you compare Baldock and Harvey.........they played in different eras, against different players in different positions

I find it hard to understand how you made the comparion?????
Why is it so diificult for you to admit that there is a difference between fact and opinion? Just because your opinion is that he was the best ever Saint doesn't make it a fact.
Just because I believe Baldock was the best ever Saint doesn't make it a fact.

The difference is that :-

1.I'm not demanding you accept my opinion on anything, as you seem to be of everyone else.

2. I'm not pretending my opinion is a fact as you seem to be.

3. I'm not personally insulting anybody for having a different opinion then me, as you certainly have done.

As for 1997/1998 I too believe that Harvey was the best player in the AFL As was Plugger in 1987 for similar reasons you have posted re Harvey in 97/98. But waht does that prove in the context of this argument/debate?

What's the problem in admitting you went off 'half-cocked'? The more you protest about it the sillier your position on this becomes, IMO.

But then you probably don't give a shyte because you're not interested in any opinion that is at odds with your own 'opinion-fact'.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

My last word

You keep saying I am passing my opinion on as fact....when I am the one posting actual facts about Harves career to back my argument. (I am not making them up)...history actually says Harvey is the MOST decorated saint to play in any era.....why is that so????

please answer me that....

Why weren't Baldock and Lockett - who would rate 2nd and 4th...

The best you can do is say that - you have seen Baldock play and you THINK he is a better player.....even though there is NO way you can difinitively say that and it is purely an opinion - and IMO a very illogical and football dumb comment.....then again old-timers always grow the legend of their heroes over time.....like Niel Harvey...In 20 years R.Harvey will never have been tackled...

You are the one passing on opinions rather than fact......which is why I will keep throwing Harves career in your face, because it cannot be denied, and is unparalleled by any other saint......

Face facts......and yes Harvey can 'gut run' aswell as other things :roll:

PS. Your nick would suggest you are a big fan.....

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:My last word

You keep saying I am passing my opinion on as fact....when I am the one posting actual facts about Harves career to back my argument. (I am not making them up)...history actually says Harvey is the MOST decorated saint to play in any era.....why is that so????

please answer me that....

Why weren't Baldock and Lockett - who would rate 2nd and 4th...

The best you can do is say that - you have seen Baldock play and you THINK he is a better player.....even though there is NO way you can difinitively say that and it is purely an opinion - and IMO a very illogical and football dumb comment.....then again old-timers always grow the legend of their heroes over time.....like Niel Harvey...In 20 years R.Harvey will never have been tackled...

You are the one passing on opinions rather than fact......which is why I will keep throwing Harves career in your face, because it cannot be denied, and is unparalleled by any other saint......

Face facts......and yes Harvey can 'gut run' aswell as other things :roll:

PS. Your nick would suggest you are a big fan.....
Well obviously I was wrong in thinking you could actually think clearly?

YOu are taking your opinion and using statistics to try and create a fact about your opinion.
Do you understand that?

Nobody else in this thread has the temerity to post that their opinion is the only opinion that is acceptable and 'pretend' that it is a fact.

In this thread you have continually used flawed logic to try and substantiate your assertion that your opinion is a fact.

Under your criteria Bunton, Skilton and Stewart who all won 3 Brownlows as well as other media awards and Club B& F's in a shorter period of actual playing time would be 'better' than Harves.
Keith Grieg, Roy Wright, Greg Williams would be his equal under your same logic.

Rating who is the best player can only ever be a subjective opinion and whenever anybody tries to tell you that it is anything more than an opinion it, IMO, tells you more about that person's 'overinflated opinion of themself' than their ability to distinguiush between fiction and fact.

TassieJones
Club Player

saintbob wrote:
TassieJones wrote:Won't bother weighing into the best ever player debate, but re: the original question there is daylight between Harves and Burke imo, and I am of the opinion that Burke is a hugely underrated player of his era.

I'd pose the question, which of Voss, Hird, Buckley, Ricciuto, West, Crawford, Aker and Cousins would you rate Harves higher than? Myself, all of them, but unquestionably he's at least on the same level as all of them. Which would you rate Burke higher than? West, Aker and Crawf for me, but that'd be it. Not on the same level as Voss, Hird etc.

Best Saints I've seen:
1. Robert Harvey

2. Nicky Winmar
3. Nick Riewoldt
4. Nathan Burke
5.Stewart Loewe
6. Lenny Hayes
7. Spider Everitt
8. Fraser Gehrig
9. Max Hudghton
10. Sam Fisher

(subject to the rest of the careers of Dal Santo, Ball and Goddard)

Plugger's not in your top 10, you must be joking!!!!
Not quite old enough mate, only saw Plugger in Swans colours unfortunately :(

without a doubt he'd be number 1 if I'd been born a few years earlier

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
BigMart wrote:

However

BigMart,
Nobody, including me, is saying anything derogatory about Harvey. IN FACT everybody has said he was a champion.

You never saw Baldock or Stewart or the other Tasmanian legend from the era, Verdun Howell, play for us and yet you can categorically state that Harves was better than them?

I never saw Bill Mohr, Neil Roberts, Brian Gleeson, Roy Cazaly, Colin Watson, Dave McNamara, Harold Bray et al play so I'm not in a position to rate them against those I have seen.
But I can repeat that of all the players I've seen play for the Saints (since about 1962) my opinion is that Baldock was the Best, just in front of Plugger and then Stewart/Harvey.

i saw gleeson and roberts play......both champions...both brownlow medalists.........also saw a lot of howell....he is now a brownlow winner as well.......saw most of baldocks and stewarts games.........including their first and last games in saints colours..used to sit with my dad and the saints committee in those days..........love banger ...yes i agree he is our greatest ever saints player...got to be ...he played a record 21 seasons and was a champion to the end.......was he our most skilled player...?.....no, he was not....he wouldn't even claim to be.......rod owen had more natural skills ...as did winmar . lockett, stewart and baldock.........baldock was the best footballer i have ever seen......yes ..better than ablett, jezza, carey and the most recent pretetenders to that throne, ...matthews, hird and buckley......

people forget that he captain coached latrobe and tasmania whilst he was still a boy........had unbelievable skills..........didn't see him play?????...then you are in no position to comment re his comparative skills and rating......

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Stinger....point taken, but

If he was the best......

Why did he not win more B&F's, A Brownlow, be BOG in more finals.....why is he not more decorated?????.....

ie/ Dick Reynolds, Haydon Bunton, Bob Slilton.....this is the thing I do not understand.........he had a massive reputation the Doc......he was a champion player......however, records will show he was not the best, some people may regard him as the best.....but records will show that other players achieved MANY more feats than Doc......

and to say he was better than any of those, begs the question...

Why did he not achieve them then????

That being said, he was a saint Legend (no issue there) 3*Best and Fairest, Captain of Premiership team and State Rep......and a freak player......but he achieved FAR LESS in a SAINTS jumper than Sir Robert...

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Also stinger.....

It depends what you mean by 'more skilled'.....do you mean better mark, kick, and handball.....or do you consider winning the ball, clean hands, generating play and creating goals with assists as skills of footy......if so.....Harves would be considered amongst the very best.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Also stinger.....

It depends what you mean by 'more skilled'.....do you mean better mark, kick, and handball.....or do you consider winning the ball, clean hands, generating play and creating goals with assists as skills of footy......if so.....Harves would be considered amongst the very best.

the doc was certainly a better kick and mark than banger......both had fantastic quick hands but the doc was sometimes too quick for his teammates as was banger.....baldock was the most skilled ball handler i have ever seen......yes...he created goals...kicked a bag himself too...something banger never really did.......don't get me wrong......i love banger.......he was the heart and soul of the saints for two decades.........our greatest ever saint...imhfo.....but i stand by my earlier comments...the doc was a leader even when he was a boy amongst me....captain-coached his state as a 21 year old from memory.......

plugger told me that banger and cuz made life easy for him......and that banger was the best player he had ever seen...later i heard him say the same thing about paul kelly........i saw them all play...the doc for mine.......others..who i respect say stewart was the best ever.....all a matter of individual opinion.....

re awards....we had howell, morrow, guyatt, murray, stewart, ditterich, smith, griffith, cooper, davis and cowboy all playing in the same side as the doc.....all competing for brownlow votes........if stewart hadn't been playing in the same side the doc would almost certainly have won at least one brownlow...possibly more......

the doc also played injured more times than not.... particularly in the final series of the mid sixties.....those injuries finally cut shor his career.....

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Playing at the highest level for 21 seasons must count for something. I didn't see Baldock or Stewart live, but I'd have the Saints top 4 (in no particular order) as Lockett, Harvey, Baldock and Stewart. Might be a four way tie.
On a separate matter I picked up Harv's book at Chadstone on Saturday for $9. Bargain!

stinger
Saintsational Legend

remboy wrote:didn't see Baldock or Stewart live, but I'd have the Saints top 4 (in no particular order) as Lockett, Harvey, Baldock and Stewart.

most would agree with you.....

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Remboy - you are surely correct!

21 seasons at that level is astonishing by itself....I think people actually took him for granted because he was a part of the furniture - just lock him in for 25 and 4 goal assists and its an OK day....that is the level he operated at.....

Stinger, does that not contradict itself by saying
Baldock was competing against good players......if he was the best he would have beaten them ie/Stewart.......

and remember, we are talking about career as a saint - Baldock's Tassie career is irrelevent (however it does demonstrate his ability - which I do not deny) just that his career only lasted 119 games and 40 of those were played <80% fit....as you agreed,,,

I definitely agree that Doc was a freak as a player - and if he spent more time at peak fitness as a saint he may have been the greatest....but he did not.......his career was 1/3 of Harvey's and I am not talking Longevity...surely you agree Harvey was Brilliant for nearly his entire career
Tony......if you combine his two careers....
Stewart....if you combine his two careers....

IMO 5 brilliant years, beats 2 slightly more than brilliant years....

Anyway thats my take on it.....great topic

For me
1 - Harvey
2 - Lockett
3 - Stewart
4 - Baldock
5 - Winmar
6 - Riewoldt
7 - Burke
8 - Smith
9 - Loewe
10 - Barker

stinger
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:
Stinger, does that not contradict itself by saying
Baldock was competing against good players......if he was the best he would have beaten them ie/Stewart.......

no...of course not ...imho..that is....barassi whitten and ditterich and a heap of the really classey players never won brownlows......they were still better players than most the ones that did in the years they played....

some back chatted umpires...some were simply the best ...but not really rated as fair players.......no one beat baldock on the ground...and he usually had two if not three players marking him.........you should get some of the old tapes......

for the record...i actually remember a game between tasmania and victoria in which john bonney played on stewart...beat him too.......only time i ever saw stewart beaten........who knows he may have been on the piss all night....but bonney was a class player that we never saw the best of in victoria.....never once saw the doc beaten...but the filth centre half back, potter ...went close a few times......

but these are my opinions based on my memories and my ability to rate a footballer......you have your views...neither of us are going to change them.........and that's a good healthy thing......

mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

OK Stinger - and was Bonney playing for the Saints and Stewart for Richmond at the time?
It might have made for a biased memory - and Stewart faded rapidly, didn't he?
A star that shines so bright - or a star that shines brightly for a long time?
Is that what we are arguing about?
BTW I am not sure that some on here actually know how highly we rate our players - other than Matthews and Ablett, maybe Carey there are no modern players who I would rate up with the Saints mentioned here - the top 4.
Surely we have four of the best 10 in the past 50 or so years.
SO maybe a new thread - top ten of the past 50.
Barassi, Whitten, etc.
:lol:

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

mbogo wrote:A star that shines so bright - or a star that shines brightly for a long time?
Is that what we are arguing about?
:lol:
Personally I see a load of difference between 'Best' and 'Greatest'

The argument from my pov was the 'blurring' between opinion and fact.

xxxx was the greatest is an opinion
xxxx was the best is an opinion

Harvey played for 21 seasons and won 2 Brownlows etc are facts that are being used to support an opinion that he was the best/greatest Saint of all time,
whereas my opinion is that whilst Harvey was the 'greatest' Saint of all time I think Baldock was the 'best' Saint of all time.

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

I'm about to turn 22, so only really remember watching the Saints from about 1991-1992. Here is my list of the top 10 Saints players I've had the pleasure of watching....

1. Robert Harvey
2. Tony Lockett
3. Nicky Winmar
4. Nathan Burke
5. Nick Riewoldt (will probably move up to 3 if he maintains his form for a few seasons)
6. Stewart Loewe
7. Peter Everitt
8. Danny Frawley
9. Max Hudghton
10.Andrew Thompson/David Grant/Justin Peckett

The Saints are coming!