Could someone please

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Could someone please

I will try to make the AGM tomorrow night but doubt I will be able to make it.
I asked B4E to ask this but he did not reply so could someone please ask the board during general business who decided not to take on Ben Cousins and why.
I believe the members deserve a clear cut answer on this especially when you consider the predicted advantages already gained by Richmond.

Would dearly love to know the response.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Ross Lyon made sure of it. The late November morning after the St Kilda board - mindful of Cousins' decision to rid his body of all meaningful hair, an impending poor financial result and a nervous and heavily back-ended sponsorship agreement - decided that the player was not worth the risk.

The coach called his playing group into a meeting and told them: "If you were relying on a 31-year-old champion to come in and try to win you a premiership, then you are kidding yourselves."

might be some of it
http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/l ... 92458.html

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Ok so If the board says it was Ross's decision then I know who to blame.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I share your pain Fireman.

I WANT to be wrong, I WANT Ben to not relapse...but just be a nice, innefective mid drift through the year....but even then whats he already bought Richmind in memberships?

Some will try and tell its just the Tigers excited about their jnrs coning through - rubbish. Cousins could just about the swager Richmond sorely needs.

“Yeah….nah””
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

I just get a sneaking feeling it might get asked Fireman lol

Hoping to be there so will post the response :-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:I just get a sneaking feeling it might get asked Fireman lol

Hoping to be there so will post the response :-)
Thanks mate, cheers.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:I share your pain Fireman.

I WANT to be wrong, I WANT Ben to not relapse...but just be a nice, innefective mid drift through the year....but even then whats he already bought Richmind in memberships?

Some will try and tell its just the Tigers excited about their jnrs coning through - rubbish. Cousins could just about the swager Richmond sorely needs.
Your sig says you see dumb people, Im tipping you may see a few on stage at the AGM.

VietNam_Saint
Club Player

I'd be sure there would be a few people from here watching the game tonite.

Interesting what Tommy Hafey had to say on the matter.

For mine , I woulda thought the decision ultimatly laid with the Playing group , and realistically ,,, how do we know that it didn't come from there.

At the very least I'd say there thoughts were heard either individually or collectivly.

anyone know more on this ?

What will be next from this club ?
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Might as well ask why we offloaded Russell Greene...what's the point? :?

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

degruch wrote:Might as well ask why we offloaded Russell Greene...what's the point? :?
Maybe the point is what happened 30 years ago has no relevance to now but Club decisions happening now mean everything.

I'm another one that can't just sweep it under the carpet and say whats done is done and move on.

Lets hope this one doesn't bite us on the arse like so many other times.
I'ts even worse when a club like Richmond may rub our noses in it. They have a reputation for being a bit of a Circus like our club.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Winmar7Fan wrote:
degruch wrote:Might as well ask why we offloaded Russell Greene...what's the point? :?
Maybe the point is what happened 30 years ago has no relevance to now but Club decisions happening now mean everything.

I'm another one that can't just sweep it under the carpet and say whats done is done and move on.

I'ts even worse when a club like Richmond may rub our noses in it. They have a reputation for being a bit of a Circus like our club.
Meh, a decision made 30 years ago and a decision made 6 months ago are the same...they are the past. Whether not picking up BC will come back and bite us on the arse as so many fear, will never be tangibly proven, so whats the point in fretting over it.

I'm will RL, he was never the saviour and I'm glad...if anyone was hanging their hat on him making a massive difference, forget it. A team is a team, a club is a club, not an individual.

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

degruch wrote:
Winmar7Fan wrote:

Meh, a decision made 30 years ago and a decision made 6 months ago are the same...they are the past. Whether not picking up BC will come back and bite us on the arse as so many fear, will never be tangibly proven, so whats the point in fretting over it.

I'm will RL, he was never the saviour and I'm glad...if anyone was hanging their hat on him making a massive difference, forget it. A team is a team, a club is a club, not an individual.
Do you seriously think that Club decisions made 30 years ago are no different to 6 months ago? So who we recruited or didn't 6 or 12 months ago has no relevance to now?

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

seriously build a bridge.

the club did its due dilligence and it decided against it. What they found who knows but the found enough to warrant not taking him. Richmond did not complete any due dilligence apart from interviewing the player.

You just have to have a little faith that they know a bit more than us yeah?! That the interests of the club are their first priority and that 1 player does not get you a premiership.

#1 Ryder fan
Winmar7Fan
Club Player

MC Gusto wrote:seriously build a bridge.

the club did its due dilligence and it decided against it. What they found who knows but the found enough to warrant not taking him. Richmond did not complete any due dilligence apart from interviewing the player.

You just have to have a little faith that they know a bit more than us yeah?! That the interests of the club are their first priority and that 1 player does not get you a premiership.
Do we know that? And as far as one player not winning a flag depends on the club. Maybe not Richmond but he is lifting the club in a lot of ways already and he hasn't even played yet.

I know I've got some extra interest in watching tonight than i would've otherwise.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

and yeah no StKilda board has ever made a mistake in the past.
as I wrote to Archie, good decisions dont necessarily win GF's, but poor ones cost you.
At least you are promising me a GF...

Seeya
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

That is never a given and if people on the board are never questioned they could do what they bloody well liked while we sit back helpless.
Do think that is the way to go?
I am not a sheep who builds bridges whenever someone stuffs up, I question the reasoning and take the decision makers to task.
I honestly believe the decision not to take Cousins on board was a seriously bad one and I won't just build a bridge.
It's obvious I won't be going to AGM..just got back from band prac.. a bit tipsy and deadset tired so I hope like hell someone get's them to explain exactly why they made this dreadful decision.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:

That is never a given and if people on the board are never questioned they could do what they bloody well liked while we sit back helpless.
Do think that is the way to go?
I am not a sheep who builds bridges whenever someone stuffs up, I question the reasoning and take the decision makers to task.
I honestly believe the decision not to take Cousins on board was a seriously bad one and I won't just build a bridge.
It's obvious I won't be going to AGM..just got back from band prac.. a bit tipsy and deadset tired so I hope like hell someone get's them to explain exactly why they made this dreadful decision.
OK guys

So every other club passes on him. Including the pies who did the due dilligence, who saw the documentary, who after a lot of considered thought decided against him. YET WE ARE THE ONES THAT MADE THE MISTAKE?

Surely the real question is to why richmond took him as every other club passed?? But no, oh no, it is our boards bad decision because us the fans know so much more

Absolute madness

#1 Ryder fan
SaintHomer
Club Player

for a lot of those that wanted ben cousins to the club (not me), no reason given will ever be enough no matter what they say.

i encourage any questioning of any board, but only if you truly listen to their answer.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

SaintHomer wrote:for a lot of those that wanted ben cousins to the club (not me), no reason given will ever be enough no matter what they say.

i encourage any questioning of any board, but only if you truly listen to their answer.
agreed

#1 Ryder fan
B W and R all over
SS Hall of Fame

MC Gusto wrote: the club did its due dilligence and it decided against it.
What exactly is this due diligence that all the clubs keep spouting?
Seems to be just a corporate wanky term. Wouldn't mind a few details about what it actually involves.

For Collingwood, it seemed to be hiring a private investigator. Did we go to these lengths? Just how thorough was this due diligence?

25 minutes to make a name for yourself like you've never made before.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote:
SaintHomer wrote:for a lot of those that wanted ben cousins to the club (not me), no reason given will ever be enough no matter what they say.

agreed
Looking at the AGM report, someone asked the question and got the usual answer. So...that closes the book then, I guess.

PJ
SS Life Member

Seems like some people around here are clutching at straws.

By all means go to the AGM ask the questions but when you get the same response ask yourself this - Do I believe those that are running the club are doing there best or am I pre disposed to negative paranoia or conspiracy theories?

If your answer is the latter then you really do need some therapy.

Do you follow the St.Kilda F C or the "Ben cousins" F C? I want the playing group, "the team" to win a GF not have another Brownlow medallist for those obsessed with pin up boys.

I'm not talking about following blindly just assessing the facts.

If you can't get over it at the end of the questioning at the AGM then take your paranoia elsewhere.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:Seems like some people around here are clutching at straws.

By all means go to the AGM ask the questions but when you get the same response ask yourself this - Do I believe those that are running the club are doing there best or am I pre disposed to negative paranoia or conspiracy theories?

If your answer is the latter then you really do need some therapy.

Do you follow the St.Kilda F C or the "Ben cousins" F C? I want the playing group, "the team" to win a GF not have another Brownlow medallist for those obsessed with pin up boys.

I'm not talking about following blindly just assessing the facts.

If you can't get over it at the end of the questioning at the AGM then take your paranoia elsewhere.

Snap! Well said my friend. this whole ben cousins 'biggest mistake we ever made' saga ceases to amazes me

#1 Ryder fan