The shoe now being on the other foot

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sobraz
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
Sobraz wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Lets go through it then. Judd is the best midfielder in the AFL. Stevens is a very good midfeilder. Murphy is excellent and will only get better and even though some here dont rate Gibbs and that could only be hatred for Carlton, well he is going to be a star. Those last 2 have an extra year now and if either were Saints players they would be rated brownlow favourites. They also have good backups so lets face it that is an excellent midfield.

If you have a great midfield you can make up for ordinary players in other positions and even the 2 you named in the backline are young and improving.
What a load... The midfield of Judd, Murphey and Gibbs is by far thier best... Gibbs is theonly one who is great by foot from that group... It falls away very very quickly after that... Thier second tier is just honest, and the skill level drops dramatically...

Thier highly skilled second level of Stevens and Scotland are both weak footballers who have failed when it counts over and over again....

Judd is not as good as Ablett or Bartell...

A 'great midfield' is a group of 8-12 players who can all rotate through and not miss a beat... Carlton have 3-4 players then a bunch of triers... Big difference IMO....
You lose the arguement straight away by having Bartel ahead of Judd.
I know who i'd take in my team if i had to choose right now....

Judd is the most overrated player this millenium... He is top 20 on the comp... Not in the greatest 100 of all time...

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Sobraz wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Lets go through it then. Judd is the best midfielder in the AFL. Stevens is a very good midfeilder. Murphy is excellent and will only get better and even though some here dont rate Gibbs and that could only be hatred for Carlton, well he is going to be a star. Those last 2 have an extra year now and if either were Saints players they would be rated brownlow favourites. They also have good backups so lets face it that is an excellent midfield.

If you have a great midfield you can make up for ordinary players in other positions and even the 2 you named in the backline are young and improving.
What a load... The midfield of Judd, Murphey and Gibbs is by far thier best... Gibbs is theonly one who is great by foot from that group... It falls away very very quickly after that... Thier second tier is just honest, and the skill level drops dramatically...

Thier highly skilled second level of Stevens and Scotland are both weak footballers who have failed when it counts over and over again....

A 'great midfield' is a group of 8-12 players who can all rotate through and not miss a beat... Carlton have 3-4 players then a bunch of triers... Big difference IMO....

Judd is the most overrated player this millenium... He is top 20 on the comp... Not in the greatest 100 of all time...
I think they are thinking of starting a comedy forum or a lack of knowledge forum. PM one of the admin guys to find out.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
Sobraz wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Sobraz wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I think they are thinking of starting a comedy forum or a lack of knowledge forum. PM one of the admin guys to find out.
Headline act with your dry wit plugger... Dont use any rude words tho else Demetriou or Anderson will sack you...

Richter
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
Richter wrote:Their midfield is ok. But lets compare with us. You name Judd, Stevens, Murphy and Gibbs. IMO Judd is the best, but then we have Lenny, Dal and Goddard who are better than Stevens, with Joey and Ball at least equal to the bottom two. That does not even include Gram and X Clarke. All of our mids are getting to their prime years (24-27) except Lenny. The Blues are still a couple of years away from that.

West Coast had a GREAT midfield - they had the 3 best midfielders of the game at that time. Carlton's are miles off being that. Like others, I'm not holding my breathe to see if the likes of Gibbs and Murphy make the step up.
Firstly you named BJ and Gram and I hope you are right that they make very good midfielders but they havent really even played there yet. Dal seems to play at half back for at least half of the game. X well cannot be serious. I would say our only genuine mids are Bally whose kicking is ordinary, Joey and Lenny with hopes on BJ and Gram. If you look at it that way theirs is better. Its like stats to can wright anything to make an arguement work.

And I dont think I named the WCE. Afterall I didnt say they would win the flag. They have no hope. All I said they could go close to top 4 this year but if not this year they will probably next season.
I mention some of our players to point out that we have potential and depth. Carlton have potential. Gram and X may make it in the midfield. Is there any doubt that BJ will?

The obvious point about WCE is that they had a GREAT midfield to make up for an ordinary forward line. No team with a crap defence can hope to challenge top 4 though IMO.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
fingers
Saintsational Legend

BLues will be vastly improved on last year - but I'm not sure how much of a benchmark last weeks NAB cup game was - the ROOS were terrible. Absolutely terrible.

saintlee
Club Player

fingers wrote:BLues will be vastly improved on last year - but I'm not sure how much of a benchmark last weeks NAB cup game was - the ROOS were terrible. Absolutely terrible.
Yes, as we have seen many times, pre-season form means nothing....nonetheless, the Blues midfield is definately strong, and will only get better in the next couple of years...should be finals contenders

Saints43
Club Player

The obvious point about WCE is that they had a GREAT midfield to make up for an ordinary forward line. No team with a crap defence can hope to challenge top 4 though IMO.
Hawthorn?

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:
Hawthorn?
The Hawks aren't anywhere near the best going 'round, but a backline with Hodge, Brown and Croad in it couldn't be labeled 'crap'.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

How do the crack midfields compare to ours

Hayes------Judd-----------Bartel---------Sewell---------Tuck
Ball---------Murphy--------Ablett---------Mitchell--------Foley
Montagna--Stevens-------Corey---------Lewis----------Deledio
Goddard---Gibbs----------Ling-----------Hodge---------Cotchin
Dal Santo--Carrazzo------Selwood------Bateman------Cousins
Gram------Scotland-------Kelly----------Ladson--------Johnson
Armitage--Bentick--------Rooke---------Ellis-----------Coughlin
Ray--------Simpson-------Enright--------Young--------Tambling

fingers
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:How do the crack midfields compare to ours

And your conclusion Mart?

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

we bat to 6, carlton 4, geelong bat all the way through, hawthorn 6, tigers 5 although all teams beat us for bottom 2 mid's...

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:

we bat to 6, carlton 4, geelong bat all the way through, hawthorn 6, tigers 5 although all teams beat us for bottom 2 mid's...
Id venture to say Carlton bat to 5, as Carazzo won their B/F last year IIRC

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I would suggest they all bat until #8

admittably some better than others.....yes Carrazzo is a definite batsman (midfielder)

I would suggest Geelong is clearly the best....The Ablett/Bartel partnership mixed with Corey, Selwood Ling and Co. is as good a 'top order' as there has been.

Carlton come second for me.....real clss at the top end, VGOP in the middle.

Hawthorn, StK, Bulldogs - who are not mentioned yet (Cooney, Cross, Griffen, Boyd, Gia, Higgins, Aker) would be in the next group.

Richmond behind them.

Then there are a group of teams with solid midfields.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:

Id venture to say Carlton bat to 5, as Carazzo won their B/F last year IIRC
Carazzo is a joke and its like david teague winning their b and f a few years back

carlton have a higher quality in the top 4 however it declines quickly

geelong continue the quality all the way through

hawthorn have a group of hard nut pricks as midfielders

we have a bit of everything however our bottom 2 is cause for concern

2-5 of the tigers should surprise however its not going to be enough to challenge this year

Gracie
Club Player

Great to see the midfields compared like this. Please put doggies in. Hawthorn and Geelong stand out to me. Ladson, Young and Ellis really stepped up in GF when Mitchell was way down. I think we're comparable and am pretty hopeful about Armitage and Ray at this stage.

Gracie

Just beat it. No wants to be defeated
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Carrazzo a joke.......watch some more footy.

He does butcher it a bit......but can definitely get his hands on it, he picked up 40+ IN A GAME LAST YEAR and consistently won a lot of footy in the absence of a fit N.Stevens and C.Judd....he was B&F in a year when a player in their team kicked 99....he must have been OK.
As a 6th mid, he is most definitely handy....

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

My mistake, he won the B&F in 2007....still not a bad feather, and finished fourth in 2008....

500+ possessions in both the last two seasons...

he is not hopeless...

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Silence... you tin plated traitor! How dare you leave St Kilda to coach Carlton?

Is it true Robot Number 35? Are you really coaching their midfield?

Affirmative Will Robinson. Just take a look at how I have reinvented our entire team into gut running robots just like me... we now have the best midfield in the AFL and will Ross' boys a new one this year.

We're dommed William dear boy... doomed. Just look at that delivery to Fevola.

Oh the pain... the pain...

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Carrazzo a joke.......watch some more footy.

He does butcher it a bit......but can definitely get his hands on it, he picked up 40+ IN A GAME LAST YEAR and consistently won a lot of footy in the absence of a fit N.Stevens and C.Judd....he was B&F in a year when a player in their team kicked 99....he must have been OK.
As a 6th mid, he is most definitely handy....
butcher alot...

and it was 2007....

he is not handy....poor man bowden

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

A great comparison - thanks Mart.

Geelong so far ahead its scary but, and yes I know they arent yet, I like to believe that we can somehow return a fit X Clarke/S Fisher to those saints mids rotations.......then I think it certainly puts us only behind Cats, ahead of Blues and equal with Hawks.

Its nice to dream but certainly its something we have up our sleeve a young Carlton doesnt...

“Yeah….nah””
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:A great comparison - thanks Mart.

Geelong so far ahead its scary but, and yes I know they arent yet, I like to believe that we can somehow return a fit X Clarke/S Fisher to those saints mids rotations.......then I think it certainly puts us only behind Cats, ahead of Blues and equal with Hawks.

Its nice to dream but certainly its something we have up our sleeve a young Carlton doesnt...
id like to think we have enough defensive options to blanket at least 2 of the blues top 4 as listed...the other two are not going to win them the game by themselves

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:A great comparison - thanks Mart.

id like to think we have enough defensive options to blanket at least 2 of the blues top 4 as listed...the other two are not going to win them the game by themselves
agree but ultimately it isnt the Blues we are chasing...the question for me when I look at lists like this is : what can we do to improve what we have?

we all agree we fall away in latter rotational stages of our midfield - IF (and its a big one) we get an opportunity to run an X or Fisher through their on a relatively semi regular basis how much does that improve us WITHOUT overly disturbing the back half etc??

Its why I wanted Cosuins - even at 70% he was gold back up.

“Yeah….nah””