Saintsational Confidence Indicator - After NAB Cup Week 1

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

In comparing this year with last year, do you think we will finish higher on the laddder, lower on the ladder, or about the same?

Higher
23%
About the same
49%
Lower
28%

Total votes: 79

GrumpyOne

Saintsational Confidence Indicator - After NAB Cup Week 1

Here’s a suggestion for a Saintsational Poll.

One of the major banks runs a “Business Confidence Indicatorâ€

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Yeah done mate.

I went about the same, I still think we're a top 4 team, we're just quite a bit away from the top two.

IMO it will go Geelong, Hawthorn - Daylight - St Kilda, Collingwood, Bulldogs - Daylight- Rest of the league.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Im about the same in wins but not sure where that will put us on the ladder. Maybe a bit lower.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

I think last year's top three were clear cut: Geelong and Hawthorn are comfortably out in front, with the Bulldogs a bit behind them but still well in front of us.

The Dogs could be a slider if confidence drops; conversely, if it all clicks, they're capable of bridging the gap.

We're in the mix for the top four again, simply because there's not outstanding teams below us willing to snaffle us up.

Carlton will improve again, as will Essendon and Richmond. I like the look of all three, but I'd be gutted if we let any of them catch us. Collingwood's kids may take another step forward, but taking Burns out of that team and with Rocca struggling - so many question marks continue to hang. Brisbane's change of coach will probably prevent them from making the leap to top four, but I think they can crack the eight.

Have Adelaide improved or are they slipping? Every year I'm willing to write them off as too old; likewise the Swans. But I think the Crows can 'bite' their slide as players like Van Berlo, Knights, Dangerfield, Douglas, Shirley and Vince improve. On the other hand, it's hard to see the Swans making the eight. The Kangaroos seem to defy expectation each year, but their meek finals performances aren't fooling anyone.

So below is not an awful lot of competition - meaning we can realistically aim for top four and we should expect to be there.

But we have so many thousands of questions marks over every player - perhaps bar Nick Riewoldt and Brendan Goddard - that it's hard to see us being able to win a preliminary final and a grand final.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Was worried at the start of the NAB game - to see regressive football - but after 1/2 time got excited and then found out that Ross allowed SOS to coach for the first 1/2. Very confident - very excited!

Believe or Burn!

esaint66
SS Life Member

About the same i think, bit hard to judge our side when half our lust wasn't there and they were vbeing replaced by rookies.

esaint66
SS Life Member

esaint66 wrote:About the same i think, bit hard to judge our side when half our lust wasn't there and they were vbeing replaced by rookies.

Sorry about the errors, i'm in a hurry to get to my steak :lol:

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:I think last year's top three were clear cut: Geelong and Hawthorn are comfortably out in front, with the Bulldogs a bit behind them but still well in front of us.

The Dogs could be a slider if confidence drops; conversely, if it all clicks, they're capable of bridging the gap.

We're in the mix for the top four again, simply because there's not outstanding teams below us willing to snaffle us up.

Carlton will improve again, as will Essendon and Richmond. I like the look of all three, but I'd be gutted if we let any of them catch us. Collingwood's kids may take another step forward, but taking Burns out of that team and with Rocca struggling - so many question marks continue to hang. Brisbane's change of coach will probably prevent them from making the leap to top four, but I think they can crack the eight.

Have Adelaide improved or are they slipping? Every year I'm willing to write them off as too old; likewise the Swans. But I think the Crows can 'bite' their slide as players like Van Berlo, Knights, Dangerfield, Douglas, Shirley and Vince improve. On the other hand, it's hard to see the Swans making the eight. The Kangaroos seem to defy expectation each year, but their meek finals performances aren't fooling anyone.

So below is not an awful lot of competition - meaning we can realistically aim for top four and we should expect to be there.

But we have so many thousands of questions marks over every player - perhaps bar Nick Riewoldt and Brendan Goddard - that it's hard to see us being able to win a preliminary final and a grand final.
Agree but the bonus for us is the draw and I really don't know how Carlton, Richmond and the Bulldogs are in comparison to our draw.

Yep, I hate this uneven draw where some sides travel far less than others and play better sides twice, but we are stuck with it and this year, although we travel we do appear to have a good draw (apart from playing on Sundays far too often)

I have picked the same, but again I really don't know, or have researched the clubs finishing below us last year and their draw this year

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

I have a rotten feeling about this year, can't explain why.

Whilst our draw looks good, the loss of Harvs, and so many question marks about several players, makes me think we'll finish about 8th.

Then again, it's hard to argue against Ev's analysis that we may fall into a higher spot due to so many other mediocre teams!

Moorabbin Saints
Club Player

Every week I reckon have the exact same poll. It'd make for an interesting graph at the end of the season I reckon. We could closely look at when confidence was high or low.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:I have a rotten feeling about this year, can't explain why.

Whilst our draw looks good, the loss of Harvs, and so many question marks about several players, makes me think we'll finish about 8th.

Then again, it's hard to argue against Ev's analysis that we may fall into a higher spot due to so many other mediocre teams!
harvs isnt a big loss and if he is seen to be we are in trouble

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
groupie1
Club Player

Yeah.. a poll every week would be good... I'll put myself on the line and predict you'll find confidence higher after a win and lower after a loss.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
markinUSA
SS Life Member

Everton,
I really liked your analysis... but I would say that there are a few other players who don't have a question mark over them.
The first player who came to mind was Sam Fisher.

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
groupie1
Club Player

GROUP A: Hayes, Hudghton, Roo, Goddard, Gram, Fisher, King, Blake, Milne - no question marks.

GROUP B: Kozzie, Ball, X, Raph, Gilbert, Schneider, Joey, Dal - question is can they achieve their potential.

GROUP C: Baker, Maguire, Gardiner... do we get them back good as gold?

GROUP D: Armitage, Steven, Jones, Heyne, Lynch, McEvoy... will they put pressure on and make a difference.

Group B is crucial to our success. those are our question marks. We get those guys lift their game, we are as good as any side

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
fingers
Saintsational Legend

esaint66 wrote:About the same i think, bit hard to judge our side when half our lust wasn't there and they were vbeing replaced by rookies.
Is that a new zealand "list"?

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Can't see us stumbling into the top 4 again. We've lost Harvs and we'd be very lucky to have such a good run with injuries again. Can't see much improvement coming from the kids or the coaches.

Teams clearly above us: Geelong, Hawthorn, Bulldogs
Teams at a similar level to us: Collingwood, Sydney, Adelaide, North Melbourne
Teams who could move ahead of us: Carlton, Richmond
Strugglers/rebuilding: Essendon, Melbourne, Fremantle, Port Adelaide, West Coast, Brisbane

We should make the 8, but I don't expect anything to improve on last year.

karnak
Club Player

we'll finish 2nd no doubt in my mind. Lock it in Eddy.

Sam Gilbert you are an EXCITEMENT MACHINE!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:Can't see us stumbling into the top 4 again. We've lost Harvs and we'd be very lucky to have such a good run with injuries again. Can't see much improvement coming from the kids or the coaches.

Teams clearly above us: Geelong, Hawthorn, Bulldogs
Teams at a similar level to us: Collingwood, Sydney, Adelaide, North Melbourne
Teams who could move ahead of us: Carlton, Richmond
Strugglers/rebuilding: Essendon, Melbourne, Fremantle, Port Adelaide, West Coast, Brisbane

We should make the 8, but I don't expect anything to improve on last year.
Hmmm, I don't see Sydney being equal to us, not at all. They will slide this year, quite significantly and enter the rebuilders. North Melb peform well each year in spite of expectation, but I don't think this will be the case this year. I know that it was only a NAB match last week, but still pretty dismal? Adelaide are still waiting on the return of their forwards, they may make a late charge at the eight?

Also, I wish people would realise what a powerful motivator "expectation" is in this kind of scenario. As supporters, expectation is one of our greatest responsibilties. Personally I expect us to improve on last year, I expect the boys to be hungry, I expect success.

ThePunter
Club Player

My ladder at the moment is

Geel
Haw
StK
Carl (remember, one team from outside the eight always makes the top four)
Coll
WB
Adel
Rich
Bris
Syd
PA
NM
Ess
Frem
WCE
Melb

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I realise it was only a NAB practice match, but I would be concerned if I was a bulldogs supporter?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:I realise it was only a NAB practice match, but I would be concerned if I was a bulldogs supporter?
They had a fair few players out. Means nothing to the good sides.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

I actually think the Hawks will slide, reason:

they are still are relatively young side and I think most of the comp at the start of 2008 wouldn't have predicted them to be in the top 4 let alone make and win the GF.

Being the yard-stick of the comp now means that every team will want to knock them off and go even harder at them so I think a lot of the younger players that had a dream run last year are going to find it really tough to play at that level for a sustained period of time so early on in their careers.

North and Swans are predicted to slide every year however based on the theory that if you keep predicting the same thing eventually it is going to happen so I predict North and Swans to leave the eight this year opening up the way for maybe Port Power, Carlton and possibly Richmond.

Actually I think Port Power could be the big improver. Must remember they played in the 2007 GF.

If Goose can make a comeback and still be playing by finals then I think this is huge for us. Just gives some much more option and flexibility down back to the no 2 backline (of the second half of 2008). I've said this before but DAMN dempsters knee.

If Kosi can improve on 2008 and then this is huge for us also.

If the Gilbert can step up then this is super huge for us and it doesn't matter if the experiment doesn't work that would only be a bonus to have a guy that can create play back and forward (Suuuuuuper Huuuuuuge!)

Then throw in either Robbert Eddy or Armo to step up (both would be massive) and a full year from Bally and Bakes then the midfield is starting to look impressive and frees up Gram and BJ to reek havoc.