This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

rogerwa
SS Hall of Fame

poor bloody hawthorn only 6000 members in tassie

thank christ we are such a powerfull club on & off the field we dont have to stoop to doing that to survive
thank christ we dont need those 6000 & their 600000 bucks
thank chist we dont need the million + handout from the tassie govenment
thank christ we have a team thats capable of playing anytime anywhere
thank christ we dont have to head off to some distant destination (gold coast)to make ends meet
thank chist we pack out the dome every week & not draw crowds of 22000
thank christ we make chytloads from our homegame corporate functions
thank christ we had the foresight to see that its still a pissy little melbourne suburburn competition & not a high profile national comp run by the corporates
thank christ we didnt end up playing in tassie for nothing when we could have picked up a cool 1/2 mill bucks a game for doing so
thank christ we have the power & profile that we dont end up playing the graveyard shift on a sunday a/noon getting shunned by the tv networks

those responsible for sending our club down the gurglar should not only hang their head in shame but be hung up by the nuts from the hobart town hall

FAIR DINKUM

Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

Deary me! :shock:

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

rog - don't think we are heading down the gurglar mate. understand where you are coming from but no need for extreme panic

we will fly this year

results will create membership

i see a premiership for us this year

#1 Ryder fan
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

If we'd won the 04 flag we'd have had 6000 Tassie members too....

Winning a flag will send your membership through the roof whether you play home games in Tassie, TD or Afghanistan

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

i feel your frustration roger. it's been horrible watching teams like hawthorn sail past us.

but hang in there. with a bit of tweaking and luck we're a chance in 2009.

Mr X from the West
Club Player

Re: 6000

rogerwa wrote:poor bloody hawthorn only 6000 members in tassie

thank christ we are such a powerfull club on & off the field we dont have to stoop to doing that to survive
thank christ we dont have to head off to some distant destination (gold coast)to make ends meet
thank christ we had the foresight to see that its still a pissy little melbourne suburburn competition & not a high profile national comp run by the corporates
thank christ we didnt end up playing in tassie for nothing when we could have picked up a cool 1/2 mill bucks a game for doing so
thank christ we have the power & profile that we dont end up playing the graveyard shift on a sunday a/noon getting shunned by the tv networks

those responsible for sending our club down the gurglar should not only hang their head in shame but be hung up by the nuts from the hobart town hall

FAIR DINKUM
Rog - not really relevent to your post, and I haven't done "the maths", but am I right in suspecting that playing our games during the Sunday graveyard shift will give us better TV coverage over here in the West this year?

"Blow out the candle I will burn again tomorrow"
cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

6000 members might be nice but think back to these glory days...

1 St Kilda 8.16 (64) vs Port Adel 8.12 (60) 2006 16 Aur 4
2 St Kilda 13.15 (93) vs Fremantle 14.10 (94) 2006 5 Aur -1
3 St Kilda 11.15 (81) vs Port Adel 16.8 (104) 2005 11 Aur -23
4 St Kilda 8.11 (59) vs Fremantle 8.10 (58) 2005 2 Aur 1
5 St Kilda 14.7 (91) vs Adelaide 10.8 (68) 2004 19 Aur 23
6 St Kilda 7.5 (47) vs Port Adel 14.9 (93) 2004 14 Aur -46
7 St Kilda 13.17 (95) vs W Bulldogs 3.12 (30) 2003 21 Aur 65
8 St Kilda 7.15 (57) vs Port Adel 15.9 (99) 2003 12 Aur -42

would we have done better at docklands?

jays
Club Player

we were never the best in tassie

ThePunter
Club Player

York Park was never the right move for St Kilda on-field.

It is for Hawthorn, because there is no real adjustment between the MCG and York Park.

While I believe that our results are somewhat coloured by Mark Williams' ability to coach well against us (watch us start to smack Port when they give him the boot after this season), we also did poorly against Freo, who we're 3-0 against at the Docklands, and also beat in Perth last year. We had one comfortable win each against a pitiful Doggies outfit, and an Adelaide side that had just sacked their coach.

Grant Thomas and John Beveridge built a side for a Brisbane 2001-2003 premiership blueprint, and the enclosed spaces of the Docklands. Both utterly incompatible with York Park. Hawthorn, on the other hand, rely on one or two ball winners to get the pill out to a bevy of silky skilled outside players, who love the open space of the MCG, and York Park.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ThePunter wrote:York Park was never the right move for St Kilda on-field.

It is for Hawthorn, because there is no real adjustment between the MCG and York Park.

While I believe that our results are somewhat coloured by Mark Williams' ability to coach well against us (watch us start to smack Port when they give him the boot after this season), we also did poorly against Freo, who we're 3-0 against at the Docklands, and also beat in Perth last year. We had one comfortable win each against a pitiful Doggies outfit, and an Adelaide side that had just sacked their coach.

Grant Thomas and John Beveridge built a side for a Brisbane 2001-2003 premiership blueprint, and the enclosed spaces of the Docklands. Both utterly incompatible with York Park. Hawthorn, on the other hand, rely on one or two ball winners to get the pill out to a bevy of silky skilled outside players, who love the open space of the MCG, and York Park.
I reckon that is one of the great myths about the size of the MCG. They are pretty much the same length but the G is about 8 metres wider. Your Park is similar to Subiaco and AAMI stadium but not really the G.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Let's see how many they get when Tassie has it's own team.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
saintm
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
ThePunter wrote:York Park was never the right move for St Kilda on-field.

I reckon that is one of the great myths about the size of the MCG. They are pretty much the same length but the G is about 8 metres wider. Your Park is similar to Subiaco and AAMI stadium but not really the G.
Believe from the paper that the size of York Park has been altered for the NAB Cup game this week in an attempt to make the scoring rate higher. Dimensions will resemble Telstra Dome!!

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/ ... public_rss

Re the 6000 members in Tassie, they may have won a premiership but they also seem to market very well - I know because I moan about my contribution to their sponsorship every time I seem them!!

Opened my letter box the other day to find Sam Mitchell looking up at me on a reply paid membership application form. I'm gathering that this was part of a statewide membership campaign as I don't live in Launceston. Form included the ability to see just the four Tassie games for the family and cheap footy boots for the kids. Membership offers that you could take up, even if you did not necessarily support Hawthorn but wanted to take the kids to see AFL without the need to travel to Melbourne. Needless to say, Sam has ended up in the recycling but I reluctantly admit that I was rather impressed.
Last edited by saintm on Wed 18 Feb 2009 4:35pm, edited 2 times in total.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Gawd we were crap down at Tassie weren't we?

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Re: 6000

rogerwa wrote:poor bloody hawthorn only 6000 members in tassie

FAIR DINKUM
Please dont take the lords name in vain - you will be accused of racism :D

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
rogerwa
SS Hall of Fame

the graveyard shifts are a bonus for us mr x...ratchyt for the club

with all our fox games no longer will we be clashing with the bloody eagles & dockers as last yr

no doubt seeya in a month or so at the karalee

Mr X from the West
Club Player

rogerwa wrote:the graveyard shifts are a bonus for us mr x...ratchyt for the club

with all our fox games no longer will we be clashing with the bloody eagles & dockers as last yr

no doubt seeya in a month or so at the karalee
No worrries Rog - thanks for responding to my post. See you soon. FQF

"Blow out the candle I will burn again tomorrow"
sainter35
Club Player

Both the previous and current administrations have made their share of mistakes and it's important that we make them accountable for those mistakes but I don't think the decision to stop playing home games in Tasmania was wrong at all.

rogerwa
SS Hall of Fame

sainter35 i can understand yours & others wishes to play all our home games at the dome
we have just gotta be realistic & face the facts that we (beleive it or not i'm one of us) are stone motherless broke & always have been & 2 chyt drawing games at the dome will only exasperate that

we have got to remember we are one of the smallest supported clubs in the comp with membership,sponsorship & corporate crap putting us 10-20 million bucks A YR behind the big boys before the 1st ball is bounced

2 games in tassie brought us 800000 grand with added membership & merchandise its about ONE MILLION BUCKS...playing the dockers & port infront of 22000 we would lose 100 grand or more each game

we have not increased our membership by playing those games in melb in fact the way things are shaping up we may struggle to get 27000 ..thats a drop off of 5000 or 500 grand

for a club that aint got 2 bob to its name to throw away about one & a half million bucks is living in the land of the faries

what happens in 10 yrs time when the huggins stand is condemed...do we leave the pokies & sundry equipment lying around in public open space for kids to climb over & dogs to pyss on

never heard from anyone connected with the club (in the past)or now giving a blueprint of where we expect to be in 10-20-30 yrs time..forget seaford thats only a training base not a home

the afl will have a long term master plan...the question is are we part of it

marksnsparks
Club Player

To echo other posters, flag get members, full stop. Watch all those fair weather Hawk members disappear once their list start getting old. I'm amazed how many Hawks car stickers I see now compared to 3 years ago. Superficial wankers! Plenty of '08 stickers, not many pre '08!

rogerwa
SS Hall of Fame

my beef is not so much with short term onfield results but THE CLUBS FUTURE

10 yrs ago hawth were stone motherless broke & in danger of merging...a few yrs later when an opportunity arose to secure their future they grabbed it with both hands (tassie deal) they didnt weigh themselves down with 4 points here & there they learnt from the past & looked to secure their club

we on the other hand have learnt nothing from the past 130 yrs...our motto was lets grab the 4 points now & STUFF THE CLUBS FUTURE

4-5 yrs ago hawthorn didnt win games in tassie but they kept their eye on the ball

look where they are today & where we are

short term gain =long term pain

those cheap 4 points we were chasing are gunna come back & bite us on the bum bigtime

GrumpyOne

rogerwa wrote:my beef is not so much with short term onfield results but THE CLUBS FUTURE

10 yrs ago hawth were stone motherless broke & in danger of merging...a few yrs later when an opportunity arose to secure their future they grabbed it with both hands (tassie deal) they didnt weigh themselves down with 4 points here & there they learnt from the past & looked to secure their club

we on the other hand have learnt nothing from the past 130 yrs...our motto was lets grab the 4 points now & STUFF THE CLUBS FUTURE

4-5 yrs ago hawthorn didnt win games in tassie but they kept their eye on the ball

look where they are today & where we are

short term gain =long term pain

those cheap 4 points we were chasing are gunna come back & bite us on the bum bigtime
Here's one for the anti-Seafordites to bite on. :wink: I believe that Hawthorn's move to Waverley was more important to them for their future than the Tassie venture.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

I was pretty happy to hear we'd finished up with Tasmania to be fair...

But I assumed we'd keep building our membership in Victoria, we'd build a winning team that played exciting football and our crowds would grow, as would our bottom line.

Oops.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

We have one of the biggest supporter bases in the league so there is no excuse to have one of the smaller memberships.

rogerwa
SS Hall of Fame

waverley...wish you hadnt mentioned that its like standing on my sore toe

with the demise of waverley the afl in their wisdom (their not stupid) packed hawthorn off to the mcg & pyssed us off to the dome with north & foots
worth repeating...pyssed us off to the dome with north & foots

is that where we stand in the eyes of the afl...along side north & foots

if thats the case its a sceary thought

back to waverley...did we have the foresight to dream up such a bold adventurous move or is it only others who look ahead

maybe we did & the afl (its their money) said over our dead body

no real hangup with seaford one way or the other..i dont really give a chyt whether our licence is located out of
st.kilda,cheltnam, moorabbin,waverley,docklands,frankston,seaford,interstate or on the moon

support the licence not where its situated

Shaggy
Club Player

RW - you are correct.

We are negative net assets, negative cash flow and loss making currently.

There are no more pay-outs from Waverley, no Tassie extras and the AFL wants 2 extra teams in Q and NSW regardless of the fate of the Vic teams because that is what the sponsors want.

Tassie should be able to financially save us now but we are not there.

If RL is wrong in his game plan which is seriously boring god help us.
If he wins the flag RL is a messiah. :D

We are in deep shite going into a serious recession.