Dal Santo

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

This has to be the most entertaining thread of the year ....... well maybe a couple of years.
:lol:

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Great to see that no one is jumping to conclusins after a mid Feb praccy game. :shock:

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
iwantmeseats wrote:As long as he still trots around and refuses to gut run, he will stay exactly where he is. Simply as that. Its up to him.
maybe he can't gut run. not everyone has the aerobic capacity of a riewoldt.

though you can work on it to a degree, it's largely genetics.

so perhaps he's not a gut running midfielder, but a clever half forward.
thats fine, play him as a clever half forward. Currently he is a lazy back pocket....

also big difference between gut running and intensity. Perhaps its the mark waugh in him but he just doesn't have the passion others show....

witout being privvy to the inner workings of his mind, i wouldn't automatically conclude that he is not giving it 100 per cent.

that's a fairly serious charge on a player.

in fact if you have any proof i'll write to the club and ask for his sacking.

Dal_Santos_Gal
Saintsational Legend

good see that nothing has changed from last season, explains why I am never on much.

One pre season game and the knifes are out, I think you lot should worry about that fact we are not even close to a top 4 team instead of sharping the Dal Santo blade.

Oh yes I know I am not being very positive, but when you look at teams like Hawthorn, Geelong, Western Bulldogs and even clubs like Carlton and Richmond... I don't think we come close.

In Ross Get lost!

I am excited to stay at St Kilda and this is a great result for the Club and all our fans. I’m proud to be part of the Saints and am pleased to be playing football with the Clubâ€
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Gilbert=Legend wrote:You rate the nab cup up with the real season, now that really is a joke!!!

As for being able to kick 5 goals in a game, when was the last time he kicked 5 goals in anygame? When was the last time lenny and joey kicked 5 goasl in a game? what about brendon goddard? Sam Fisher?

I would place large money on the fact the last time these players did kick 5 goals in a match would be in there under 9s footy team

All these players are defense or midfielders, so why dont we get rid of them?

Get a f****** brain before you comment
Well actually if Lenny or Joey are poor in their first practice match this year I would look at trading them as well. We cannot have players in our side who arent able to be clearly best on the ground in their first game of the year. Players like that must go. We need to weed them out so we can win those really important NAB cup and practice games.
You're a mean and nasty person P66. shame onyou for shooting fish in a barrel. :lol: :lol:
dal still is useless

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
PJ
SS Life Member

Am I imagining it or does this thread sound like a broken record from last year.

Next thread "Raph makes mistakes" or "Kosi not living up to expectation"

Now there's a couple to really sink the boots into - splitters!!

Think I'd still have all these guys in my team.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Dal_Santos_Gal wrote:One pre season game and the knifes are out, I think you lot should worry about that fact we are not even close to a top 4 team instead of sharping the Dal Santo blade.
yes, i'm more worried about why we had 18 guys behind the ball before brisbane had even scored on saturday night.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Solar wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
iwantmeseats wrote:As long as he still trots around and refuses to gut run, he will stay exactly where he is. Simply as that. Its up to him.

thats fine, play him as a clever half forward. Currently he is a lazy back pocket....

also big difference between gut running and intensity. Perhaps its the mark waugh in him but he just doesn't have the passion others show....

witout being privvy to the inner workings of his mind, i wouldn't automatically conclude that he is not giving it 100 per cent.

sorry will change that to "he comes across as no having the passion others show"

I know that the game means the world to the likes of say BJ or lenny or max because they are intense, bleed for the jumper.... never got that from dal....

ps: not saying he is not, just that this is how it comes across ...

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
Solar wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

sorry will change that to "he comes across as no having the passion others show"

I know that the game means the world to the likes of say BJ or lenny or max because they are intense, bleed for the jumper.... never got that from dal....

i think you might be closer to the truth with the mark waugh analogy. :wink:

Solar
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Solar wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
Solar wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

i think you might be closer to the truth with the mark waugh analogy. :wink:
yet I have seen junior play two of the most guttiest innings I have ever seen....

actions speak louder then words... hell got a feeling BJ learnt that one!

FQF
In richo I trust

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
bigcarl wrote:i think you might be closer to the truth with the mark waugh analogy. :wink:
yet I have seen junior play two of the most guttiest innings I have ever seen....
yeah, but he never looked like he was trying did he.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Solar wrote:
bigcarl wrote:i think you might be closer to the truth with the mark waugh analogy. :wink:
yeah, but he never looked like he was trying did he.
not even then no, I do also wonder about dals football sense. He knows how to get it enough but doesn't seem to be able to stamp himself on a game. Is this work rate? is he getting to enough contests? or does he not hurt the opposition enough with the ball, either running to the right areas or kicking to advantage?

Just remember a turnover that can be bought back to dal marking it, having the opportunity to play on and run the lines... he stopped, looked, looked again then kicked it short. By the time this player disposed of the ball there was numbers back, the lions caused the turnover and they scored on the rebound..... there was heaps of space and opportunity when dal marked that ball.....

just a thought

FQF
In richo I trust

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote:
Dal_Santos_Gal wrote:One pre season game and the knifes are out, I think you lot should worry about that fact we are not even close to a top 4 team instead of sharping the Dal Santo blade.
yes, i'm more worried about why we had 18 guys behind the ball before brisbane had even scored on saturday night.

CHA CHING !!!!

!!

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:Just remember a turnover that can be bought back to dal marking it, having the opportunity to play on and run the lines... he stopped, looked, looked again then kicked it short. By the time this player disposed of the ball there was numbers back, the lions caused the turnover and they scored on the rebound..... there was heaps of space and opportunity when dal marked that ball.....
that chipalotto style of play has infected the whole team, not just dal.

we had 18 guys behind the ball for most of the first half, so (if the incident you are talking about happened then) i'm not surprised he had nowhere to go with it.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Solar wrote:Just remember a turnover that can be bought back to dal marking it, having the opportunity to play on and run the lines... he stopped, looked, looked again then kicked it short. By the time this player disposed of the ball there was numbers back, the lions caused the turnover and they scored on the rebound..... there was heaps of space and opportunity when dal marked that ball.....
that chipalotto style of play has infected the whole team, not just dal.

we had 18 guys behind the ball for most of the first half, so (if the incident you are talking about happened then) i'm not surprised he had nowhere to go with it.
yet in the same match I saw half a dozen times where BJ would take the ball and run with it then dispose of it long and quickly..... maybe it is the game plan, if so it makes him very ineffective

FQF
In richo I trust

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:yet in the same match I saw half a dozen times where BJ would take the ball and run with it then dispose of it long and quickly.
well bj's playing great football and would have been the only one doing that. he's a superstar in the making and his kicking is superb.

as i said earlier in the thread, i'd like to see dal santo on the half forward line (if we are going to have one this season) where he could prove a real handful.

i suspect that he is giving it 100 per cent, but that he might not have the "tank" to be a gut-running midfielder with the ability to burn off the best taggers in the game over 120 minutes of football.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote: dal santo is not an inside player...which unfortunately this forum orgasms' over...
This forum often has no idea what an inside player is. Right up until we started trying to free him up by playing him along the HB line, Nick Dal Santo was an inside player who used the ball in traffic better than many outside players.

Inside does not only mean in and under. Inside wins the ball in traffic, and lays tackles. Exactly how Dal used to approach the game when playing from the packs.

Since trying to move him, he's been unable to command the games as an outsider the way he could on the inside. His defensive coverage is not good, his pace is not run-off-your-man good... and his disposal at full pace in not on the same level as when shimmeying through traffic using his best assets, agility and kicking.

But the point is valid - Nick Dal Santo is neither in a role nor the type of player that the forum loves... unless he does become a superstar, he'll probably have to wait until he plays his 300th game (which he will) to get his due.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

vacuous space wrote:Dal's gotta be the only player in the league who gets ripped by his own club's supporters for a 27 touch effort.
This thread inspired me to actually check out the stats...

27 touches, 18 kicks, 3 clearances, 3 clangers - 70% overall efficiency with 8 marks thrown in. Not BOG, but you'd have thought good enough to not inspire a multipage discussion about why he's not good enough. Only BJ can really say as a Saint that they were hands down better...

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

iwantmeseats wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

CHA CHING !!!!

!!
That's what happens when your defecnce coach takes the helm... all defence.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
Mr X from the West
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:
Solar wrote:yet in the same match I saw half a dozen times where BJ would take the ball and run with it then dispose of it long and quickly.
well bj's playing great football and would have been the only one doing that. he's a superstar in the making and his kicking is superb.

as i said earlier in the thread, i'd like to see dal santo on the half forward line (if we are going to have one this season) where he could prove a real handful.

i suspect that he is giving it 100 per cent, but that he might not have the "tank" to be a gut-running midfielder with the ability to burn off the best taggers in the game over 120 minutes of football.
Big Carl, once again I agree with you. Dal is wasted down back - and he looks and plays like a fish out of water down there. What's more - we don't NEED him to play in the backline. We need some spark in our forward line and he has PROVEN he can supply it - remember the 7 goals he kiCked against Melbourne a few years back - absoluteLy brilliant!

"Blow out the candle I will burn again tomorrow"
jays
Club Player

Mr X from the West wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

Big Carl, once again I agree with you. Dal is wasted down back - and he looks and plays like a fish out of water down there. What's more - we don't NEED him to play in the backline. We need some spark in our forward line and he has PROVEN he can supply it - remember the 7 goals he kiCked against Melbourne a few years back - absoluteLy brilliant!
think your right he needs to be around the goals to be useful

saintwill66
Club Player

Solar wrote: I do also wonder about dals football sense. He knows how to get it enough but doesn't seem to be able to stamp himself on a game. Is this work rate? is he getting to enough contests? or does he not hurt the opposition enough with the ball, either running to the right areas or kicking to advantage?

Just remember a turnover that can be bought back to dal marking it, having the opportunity to play on and run the lines... he stopped, looked, looked again then kicked it short. By the time this player disposed of the ball there was numbers back, the lions caused the turnover and they scored on the rebound..... there was heaps of space and opportunity when dal marked that ball.....
You have defined what prompted me to start this thread Solar. Sure this was just a NAB Cup game that has little bearing on the season proper, as many have commented. The problem as I see it is that Dal Santo displayed the same bad habits in this game that have become characteristic of him in the past 2 years. I have long considered that he could be be an even better player than Simon Black, and so to see him stuff around the way he did last Saturday night was so disappointing.

Maybe he is not being coached right, I don't know, but whatever the reason, he simply has to produce the goods this year. Gaining bucketloads of stats means nothing nowadays, it is what is achieved with the possessions that really count.

At age 25 it is now or never for Nick.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

he does faff around the back flank like hes at his grandmas picnic.
its ok for him to have a quarter-back role i guess. but the saints seem to have an abundance of half-back flankers doing similar things.

what we need is some half-forward flankers that create pressure in our forward line, kick goals and take marks. Oh Aaron Hammil we miss you son.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
vacuous space wrote:Dal's gotta be the only player in the league who gets ripped by his own club's supporters for a 27 touch effort.
This thread inspired me to actually check out the stats...

27 touches, 18 kicks, 3 clearances, 3 clangers - 70% overall efficiency with 8 marks thrown in. Not BOG, but you'd have thought good enough to not inspire a multipage discussion about why he's not good enough. Only BJ can really say as a Saint that they were hands down better...
not trying to bump the thread ...
BAM! where did you get the NAB cup stats from?

Seeya
Dal'sGal26
Club Player

Just get him out of the back line and you would be suprised at how much more effort he will put in!

i <3 the red, white and black

Sainter for LIFE!