Dal Santo

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintwill66
Club Player

Dal Santo

My biggest disappointment from last night's game against the Lions was the lack of improvement by Nick Dal Santo. He is an excitement machine possessed of exquisite foot and hand skills, has pace and agility and at his best has the potential to be a match winner.

But he has failed to take his game to the elite level by his continual inability to read the game - far too often when he gains possession he hesitates, holds up play, gestures to team-mates to come closer for a pass (one of my pet hates in the "modern" game) when he should be thinking 2 or 3 moves ahead and playing-on. Dal Santo is one of the link-men in the St Kilda team structures, but far too often undoes his flashy fancy footwork by indecision.

I sometimes wonder if he is mentally lazy because he regularly drifts out of the game.

2009 looms as a "make-or-break" season for Dal Santo - it is crucial to St Kilda's performance that he contributes at a much higher level than he did in 2008.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

I agree he is at the cross roads but I don't think it is make or break time, I think it is superstar or GOP time, this year will play a large role in determing how much is next contract is worth.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I think we should trade him. Afterall if you cannot take over a game in a practice match in the first game of the year then you must be tradable.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I think that our first game of the NAB cup, is just tiny bit early to abandon hope of any improvement :shock:

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I think we should trade him. Afterall if you cannot take over a game in a practice match in the first game of the year then you must be tradable.
I can see someone else sharing my sentiments of frustration plugger66, I was not on this forum this time last year....do people usually give up on us that quickly?

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:
plugger66 wrote:I think we should trade him. Afterall if you cannot take over a game in a practice match in the first game of the year then you must be tradable.
I can see someone else sharing my sentiments of frustration plugger66, I was not on this forum this time last year....do people usually give up on us that quickly?
Yep...

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

I say he should play FF.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:I agree he is at the cross roads but I don't think it is make or break time, I think it is superstar or GOP time, this year will play a large role in determing how much is next contract is worth.
so you are basing one pre-season game on him being at the cross roads...stating it is make or break time and blah blah blahing about contracts???

dal santo is not an inside player...which unfortunately this forum orgasms' over...

he is an outside player who has an uncanny ability when in possession of clean ball to run amongst clusters of players and find ways out

all it needs is a handball clearance, even a palm off clearance to him and he is away being the twinkle toes that he is

what on earth is the problem with that???

like a key forward needing good delivery to kick bags (unless you are the focal point for 120 mins per match i.e fev) you will not kick too many goals

a quality outsider needs ball from the insiders...

dal santo is nowhere near a gop...and to think so is ridiculous...

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Exactly SP08..

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:
Armoooo wrote:I agree he is at the cross roads but I don't think it is make or break time, I think it is superstar or GOP time, this year will play a large role in determing how much is next contract is worth.
so you are basing one pre-season game on him being at the cross roads...stating it is make or break time and blah blah blahing about contracts???

dal santo is not an inside player...which unfortunately this forum orgasms' over...

he is an outside player who has an uncanny ability when in possession of clean ball to run amongst clusters of players and find ways out

all it needs is a handball clearance, even a palm off clearance to him and he is away being the twinkle toes that he is

like a key forward needing good delivery to kick bags (unless you are the focal point for 120 mins per match i.e fev) you will not kick too many goals

Wait to blow something out of proportion :shock: :shock:

I actually said that it's not make or break time but this season will determine whether or not he will go on to become the superstar we all thought he could be. If he has another average year I don't see any reason why he should be getting paid more than an Adam Schneider or a Clinton Jones when is output hasn't been significantly higher in recent years.

I think you need to calm down and re-read what I wrote. I've just given up on him becoming elite, I don't want him traded or dropped etc. I've just accepted he is what he is, a player who can use the ball very well but doesn't have the aggression to take a game on.

I hope he can get back to his 2005 but I am doubtful he will ever reach it, but I still believe he can be a contributer.

If you still beleive he can become the elite player we thought he would be show me some evidence from the past 3 years where he has really stood up and dominated against a good side...

384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
rogerwa
SS Hall of Fame

if where going to put the blowtorch on anyone i wouldnt leave ball out of it

guts.. 10 out of 10
run & carry...non existant, one out of ten
decision making..one out of ten,gets a free goes back over his mark 10 yrds holds the ball for 5 mins & then does a little up & under that travells 30 yrds to a contest
disposal..as above

may have had a long layoff but needs to be forced/told to move it on as elite midfielders do...its gops that are undecided

clarke...ya gotta at some stage win the ball in a contested situation...any gop can pick up the loose ball across 1/2 back

looks to be another yr of the top 1/2 doz or so carrying the load

herne would be worth watching over the next 2 or 3 weeks...we could do worse

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:

Wait to blow something out of proportion :shock: :shock:

I actually said that it's not make or break time but this season will determine whether or not he will go on to become the superstar we all thought he could be. If he has another average year I don't see any reason why he should be getting paid more than an Adam Schneider or a Clinton Jones when is output hasn't been significantly higher in recent years.

I think you need to calm down and re-read what I wrote. I've just given up on him becoming elite, I don't want him traded or dropped etc. I've just accepted he is what he is, a player who can use the ball very well but doesn't have the aggression to take a game on.

I hope he can get back to his 2005 but I am doubtful he will ever reach it, but I still believe he can be a contributer.

If you still beleive he can become the elite player we thought he would be show me some evidence from the past 3 years where he has really stood up and dominated against a good side...
no need to tell me to calm down...its an internt forum but if that is your idea of moderation well sure

his output is way higher than schnider and jones...again the compare him displays a lack of football knowledge...dal has super footskills...the other two don't

jones might try hard and run around but often nothing real flash comes of it

schnieder should be a better plaayer than he is...im a big fan however at times he goes missing coupling with injuries

the annoying thing is that he is seen to be lazy due to him not getting the hard ball...yes he needed to elarn to play defensively and i believe he has added both games however he is in the side as an outsider...so obviously offensive

you are very quick to write off dal...he needs assistance from players around the ball in contests...much like roo needs decent delivery...

hell goddard doesnt really get the hard ball too often yet he is wanked over on this forum because he kicks it long

its another little fad this forum needs to relinquish...hard contested ball and everyone and long kicking...not everyone does and i designed or instructed to do so

the_D_train
Club Player

ball's disposal by foot last night (From what i saw) looked alot better than what it was last year (minus his half hearted shot at goal).

wasnt as up and under i thought...

TheDomeHero
Club Player

dal was good last night.
i liked that when called-on he chose to stand and wait for a lead.
'play-on? i'll wait for a lead thanks...'

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Have you been taking those brain-booster pills again?

Summed up nicely... :wink:

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:

Have you been taking those brain-booster pills again?

Summed up nicely... :wink:
oh aren't you a darl

TheDomeHero
Club Player

:lol: brain booster pills

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

TheDomeHero wrote::lol: brain booster pills
Actually, they're called Brains' Booster Pills For High Performance Intelligence And Clarity Of Thought.

I think there's a market for them.

TheDomeHero
Club Player

WayneJudson42 wrote:
TheDomeHero wrote::lol: brain booster pills
Actually, they're called Brains' Booster Pills For High Performance Intelligence And Clarity Of Thought.

I think there's a market for them.
you do know that fevola patrols this forum?

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Dal's gotta be the only player in the league who gets ripped by his own club's supporters for a 27 touch effort.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
TheDomeHero
Club Player

i love his attitude:-
takes a mark, called to play-on, no pressure waits for a lead...

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote: no need to tell me to calm down...its an internt forum but if that is your idea of moderation well sure

his output is way higher than schnider and jones...again the compare him displays a lack of football knowledge...dal has super footskills...the other two don't

jones might try hard and run around but often nothing real flash comes of it

schnieder should be a better plaayer than he is...im a big fan however at times he goes missing coupling with injuries

the annoying thing is that he is seen to be lazy due to him not getting the hard ball...yes he needed to elarn to play defensively and i believe he has added both games however he is in the side as an outsider...so obviously offensive

you are very quick to write off dal...he needs assistance from players around the ball in contests...much like roo needs decent delivery...

hell goddard doesnt really get the hard ball too often yet he is wanked over on this forum because he kicks it long

its another little fad this forum needs to relinquish...hard contested ball and everyone and long kicking...not everyone does and i designed or instructed to do so
Sorry if you were offended about the calm down comment, you just came across a bit aggressive.

I'm not comparing Dal Santo and Jone on ability, I am more ocmparing them on their contribution to the team. Jones has certain strengths that Dal lacks and vice versa, I am just saying that he doesn't deserve his repuation of being a top tier saint anymore... again IMO.

I don't 'not rate' Dal Santo because he doesn't win the hard ball or because he's not defensive enough, I always stood up for him when people made those accustations. My problem is he is beaten too often now. He was never accountable but he would always beat his opponent, now it is often him who is beaten. I also think he goes for the hard ball more than he is given credit for.

I really rate Goddard because he seems to have skills of Dal Santo but the aggression and desire to make the most of his talent. Watching the game last night I felt like I was watching a 14 year old Goddard dominate against a bunch of 10 year olds, he just seemed to be able to control play, demand the ball and do those magic things that he does. Dal Santo on the other hand just appears to be another player now unlike the presence he once was.

Now I know that it's not his fault that he is always tagged but surely we are wasting him allowing him to be tagged in the centre. When we chuck him in the middle against a Cameron Ling we essentially lose a man, if Dal Santo were'nt there Ling or K.Cornes would go to a Hayes or a Ball who are better that handling the close attention. If Dal Santo is going to serve us well into the future I think he will have to become a forward flanker where his penetrating kicks can be used to effect.

I haven't given up on Dal Santo, I still believe he is an important part of our team, I just don't expect him to to be a superstar anymore but I hope I'm wrong.

IMO Riewoldt, Sam Fisher, Goddard, Hayes, Montagna and even Ball are all ahead of Dal Santo now.

This isn't based off one NAB cup match, this is based off his past 3 years. Perhaps '04, '05 were simply outliers, years in which he performed above himself and this is the player we have. Nothing wrong with him, still a very good player, just not a player you want to rely on to win you a premiership.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

I just think he's wasted atm. His two great skills re a glorious left foot and an uncanny knack to find space in traffic. Kicking out from FB hardly lets him show these skills off.

All I saw him do lasts night (and all too often last year) was chip a little 30m pass to the pocket when kicking out... and marking, stopping, proping, waiting, calling players to come to him in our obsessive quest of never kicking to a contest...then chippi9ng a 30m pass

Neither of these let Dal be Dal. God, it is such a crime to belt the ball long from FB even if someone isnt 20m in the clear? Can we perhaps put our faith in a ruckman to take a contested mark?

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
EB
Club Player

vacuous space wrote:Dal's gotta be the only player in the league who gets ripped by his own club's supporters for a 27 touch effort.
Jay Nash at Essendon.

Personally I think Dal Santo is harshly marked, a lot of which is to due to his perceived lack of intensity and his potential talent.
That said I still think he could win a bit more contested footy, as there really isn't a place in the game for players who are exclusively "outside". Doesn't really rip apart games either like the REALLY good players do

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

EB wrote:
vacuous space wrote:Dal's gotta be the only player in the league who gets ripped by his own club's supporters for a 27 touch effort.
Jay Nash at Essendon.

Personally I think Dal Santo is harshly marked, a lot of which is to due to his perceived lack of intensity and his potential talent.
That said I still think he could win a bit more contested footy, as there really isn't a place in the game for players who are exclusively "outside". Doesn't really rip apart games either like the REALLY good players do
I dont think fans are ripping into NDS because he gets 27 touches. Its more because his opponent does just as well and kicks a couple of goals.
And I agree with above posts that yes he can pinpoint a 30mt kick to the pocket, but he is so much better than that. That pass should translate into him receiving the third/fourth consecutive possession in the middle.
He has been swooping on loose balls in the backline for a couple of years now, but he doesnt have the same impact in that position as Luke Hodge.
The question is does RL want him to play deep in the backline or is that where he gravitates?
Would love to see him on a forward flank

Seeya