Dal Santo

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

lovedal26
Club Player

i think people should start talking about his form half way into the season.
jeeze supporters are quick to jump him in a nab cup game.
wait for the real season to start people.

nick dal santo #26
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I think Dal Santo is an architect and for that you put him where hes most damaging....IMO getting 10 kick outs from FB a game aint that.

Why not let him loose on a HFF at times rotating also through the midle?

I struggle to understand when we play Geelong that we send him back into defence, still followed by Ling (a very talented junior fwd) who carves us up even more by snagging a few goals (Lings a very good mark).

Why wouldnt you makeLing TRULY have to defend a Dal Santo in our fwd half? Take Ling out of the game for them (he gets 25+ against us usually) and Dal will innevitably touch the ball in a DANGEROUS part of the ground?

As Yabby Jeans said - he ought to be played Fwd of the ball more - NOT stuck in defence.

“Yeah….nah””
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:IWhy not let him loose on a HFF ... As Yabby Jeans said - he ought to be played Fwd of the ball more - NOT stuck in defence.
i agree. we need to think outside of the box a bit more or risk sliding further into medocrity.

and that isn't tolerated at st kilda :wink:

vacuous space
SS Life Member

sunsaint wrote:I dont think fans are ripping into NDS because he gets 27 touches. Its more because his opponent does just as well and kicks a couple of goals.
I don't think he even had a real opponent last night. So I don't know why he's getting trashed on here. It seems that he's getting ripped as much for his reputation as anything he did last night. He seemed to play fine enough to me.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Solar
Saintsational Legend

as some have already said, the problem is he stops, looks, looks and then looks again. Needs to relise that taking on the game and demanding the forward lead towards him through this playing on is alot more effective then waiting 5 minutes for the lead to come.

It's not the long kicking that makes BJ a couple of steps ahead of dal at present but his mindset of taking the game on and kicking it to advantage.

I also agreethat he is wasted down back.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Re: Dal Santo

saintwill66 wrote:My biggest disappointment from last night's game against the Lions was the lack of improvement by Nick Dal Santo. He is an excitement machine possessed of exquisite foot and hand skills, has pace and agility and at his best has the potential to be a match winner.

But he has failed to take his game to the elite level by his continual inability to read the game - far too often when he gains possession he hesitates, holds up play, gestures to team-mates to come closer for a pass (one of my pet hates in the "modern" game) when he should be thinking 2 or 3 moves ahead and playing-on. Dal Santo is one of the link-men in the St Kilda team structures, but far too often undoes his flashy fancy footwork by indecision.

I sometimes wonder if he is mentally lazy because he regularly drifts out of the game.

2009 looms as a "make-or-break" season for Dal Santo - it is crucial to St Kilda's performance that he contributes at a much higher level than he did in 2008.
Get a grip, it was only a practice match. The whole team was sluggish.

Marcus1232
Club Player

Its a nab cup game.
And i know this may come as a shock but in nab cup games u try new things to see if they work.
Sometimes they do sometimes they dont

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Dal isnt ruthless.... I think thats what many want him to improve on... To have that hunger and determination that Ablett, Hodge, Bartell and Judd have... That deep down desire...

He seems like he doesnt believe he is at their level; somewhere that i think many fans percieve he should be... he has the talent to be...

Personally i think his game was ok on the weekend, and he is often unfairly attacked around here (much like Kosi :wink: ).. but he is a slightly frustrating player, cos he has shown so much in the past...

I agree with Teflon and Bigcarl with his value up forward, particularly against guys like Ling, as noted earlier....

Gilbert=Legend

plugger66 wrote:I think we should trade him. Afterall if you cannot take over a game in a practice match in the first game of the year then you must be tradable.
what the f*** are u talking about, why the hell would you trade one of our best players, he had one bad year!!!

After all, would you be getting rid of maguire!!! he didnt do much either and his been a liability for the last 2 years!!! NO

It was the first game of the year.

I tell you what, you talk c@&*, get a football brain before you post any more rubbish

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Gilbert=Legend wrote:
plugger66 wrote:I think we should trade him. Afterall if you cannot take over a game in a practice match in the first game of the year then you must be tradable.
what the f*** are u talking about, why the hell would you trade one of our best players, he had one bad year!!!

After all, would you be getting rid of maguire!!! he didnt do much either and his been a liability for the last 2 years!!! NO

I tell you what, you talk c@&*, get a football brain before you post any more rubbish
I would also get rid of Goose. It was about his 10th game in 3 years and he wasnt good enough to be best on the ground. That in my opinion makes him tradable as well.

Gilbert=Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Gilbert=Legend wrote:

I would also get rid of Goose. It was about his 10th game in 3 years and he wasnt good enough to be best on the ground. That in my opinion makes him tradable as well.
Still, why the hell would you say we should trade a player after 1!!!! average year and again after the first damn game of the season. its just f****** stupid, as i said, get a football brain before you post again

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Solar wrote:as some have already said, the problem is he stops, looks, looks and then looks again. Needs to relise that taking on the game and demanding the forward lead towards him through this playing on is alot more effective then waiting 5 minutes for the lead to come.

It's not the long kicking that makes BJ a couple of steps ahead of dal at present but his mindset of taking the game on and kicking it to advantage.

I also agreethat he is wasted down back.
Bingo we have a winner.
Many times last Sat night he woulld be 15mt in the clear and he would stop. Dead. Wait for play to catch up, then wait for the paint drying 25mt lead up pass. Mind you one of those occassions I saw D Rich close the gap in an eye blink.
And if vacuousspace reckons he had no BL opponent, then that pretty much sums up Dal's "reputation".

Seeya
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Gilbert=Legend wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Gilbert=Legend wrote:

Still, why the hell would you say we should trade a player after 1!!!! average year and again after the first damn game of the season. its just f****** stupid, as i said, get a football brain before you post again
Why wouldnt we try to trade Dal. It was the first game of the year and they had little match practice before this game. He was one our best players and got a lot of the ball but he wasnt the best on the ground and in these type of games I would expect him to kick at least 5-7 goals and he couldnt do that so he isnt worth keeping.

Gilbert=Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Gilbert=Legend wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Gilbert=Legend wrote:

Why wouldnt we try to trade Dal. It was the first game of the year and they had little match practice before this game. He was one our best players and got a lot of the ball but he wasnt the best on the ground and in these type of games I would expect him to kick at least 5-7 goals and he couldnt do that so he isnt worth keeping.
1. Its the first game of the f****** year
2. It was only the bloody NAB cuo which means nothing
3. You never, never say we should trade a player by rating their first game, otherwise, we should have traded hayes u dh

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Gilbert=Legend wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Gilbert=Legend wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Gilbert=Legend wrote:

1. Its the first game of the f****** year
2. It was only the bloody NAB cuo which means nothing
3. You never, never say we should trade a player by rating their first game, otherwise, we should have traded hayes u dh
I rate the NAB cup right up there with the season proper and in some ways it is even more important so for Dal not to be able to kick at least 5 goals even though he was one of our best and had the second most possessions makes him tradable. Afterall most other players who play in Dals position like Joey and Lenny would have kicked at least 5 goals had they played last week.

Gilbert=Legend

You rate the nab cup up with the real season, now that really is a joke!!!

As for being able to kick 5 goals in a game, when was the last time he kicked 5 goals in anygame? When was the last time lenny and joey kicked 5 goasl in a game? what about brendon goddard? Sam Fisher?

I would place large money on the fact the last time these players did kick 5 goals in a match would be in there under 9s footy team

All these players are defense or midfielders, so why dont we get rid of them?

Get a f****** brain before you comment

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Gilbert=Legend wrote:You rate the nab cup up with the real season, now that really is a joke!!!

As for being able to kick 5 goals in a game, when was the last time he kicked 5 goals in anygame? When was the last time lenny and joey kicked 5 goasl in a game? what about brendon goddard? Sam Fisher?

I would place large money on the fact the last time these players did kick 5 goals in a match would be in there under 9s footy team

Well actually if Lenny or Joey are poor in their first practice match this year I would look at trading them as well. We cannot have players in our side who arent able to be clearly best on the ground in their first game of the year. Players like that must go. We need to weed them out so we can win those really important NAB cup and practice games.

Gilbert=Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Gilbert=Legend wrote:You rate the nab cup up with the real season, now that really is a joke!!!

Well actually if Lenny or Joey are poor in their first practice match this year I would look at trading them as well. We cannot have players in our side who arent able to be clearly best on the ground in their first game of the year. Players like that must go. We need to weed them out so we can win those really important NAB cup and practice games.
well you an absoulute idiot then, so will u trade reiwoldt when he has a bad game? fisher when he has a bad game? stevens when he has a bad game? dawson, why isnt he being traded? Ray wasnt best on ground either?

What your saying is that if a player isnt bog we should trade them? um hello, what about the other 43 players who could be below them, hey all going to be traded.

As for nab cup games being important, they are only good for seeing if young players have talent

milney044
Club Player

LOL how many consecutive posts and still no clue that what comes out of pluggers mouth is 100% sarcasm. i don't know how you do it plugger, i would have thought a few more would have caught on by now :wink:

Destiny. It's in our hands.

Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

milney044 wrote:LOL how many consecutive posts and still no clue that what comes out of pluggers mouth is 100% sarcasm. i don't know how you do it plugger, i would have thought a few more would have caught on by now :wink:
Some people just cant cope when there is an abscence of winking smiley faces! rollyeyes rollyeyes exclamation mark

Seeya
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

As long as he still trots around and refuses to gut run, he will stay exactly where he is. Simply as that. Its up to him.

milney044
Club Player

sunsaint wrote:
milney044 wrote:LOL how many consecutive posts and still no clue that what comes out of pluggers mouth is 100% sarcasm. i don't know how you do it plugger, i would have thought a few more would have caught on by now :wink:
Some people just cant cope when there is an abscence of winking smiley faces! rollyeyes rollyeyes exclamation mark
oh, lucky i post on here then :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Destiny. It's in our hands.

Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote:As long as he still trots around and refuses to gut run, he will stay exactly where he is. Simply as that. Its up to him.
maybe he can't gut run. not everyone has the aerobic capacity of a riewoldt.

though you can work on it to a degree, it's largely genetics.

so perhaps he's not a gut running midfielder, but a clever half forward.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:

You're a mean and nasty person P66. shame onyou for shooting fish in a barrel. :lol: :lol:

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
Solar
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
iwantmeseats wrote:As long as he still trots around and refuses to gut run, he will stay exactly where he is. Simply as that. Its up to him.
maybe he can't gut run. not everyone has the aerobic capacity of a riewoldt.

though you can work on it to a degree, it's largely genetics.

so perhaps he's not a gut running midfielder, but a clever half forward.
thats fine, play him as a clever half forward. Currently he is a lazy back pocket....

also big difference between gut running and intensity. Perhaps its the mark waugh in him but he just doesn't have the passion others show....

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith