Why Am I Not Worried?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Why Am I Not Worried?

Maybe because it was the NAB Cup? Maybe because a good portion of our best 22 were missing? Maybe because SOS was coaching? Maybe because we kicked 7 goals to their 2 in the second half? Maybe because I saw Goddard played some super football? Maybe because King and Gardy smashed the ruck contests? Maybe because the umpiring was sub-standard at best? Maybe because the "Voss is the Lion's saviour" bandwagon is pumping so hard that it was going to be a given that he would get a good start? Maybe because the clash jumper looked smashing, in my opinion? Maybe because frankly after the first half, we looked the much fitter team?

I could keep going. But what I do know is that we all fancied our premiership chances after we won the 08 NAB Cup, didn't we? But didn't we then go on to learn a valuable footy lesson in the first 12 rounds of the season proper.

Were there negative moments in that game? Without question - but I would rather wait until the first few hit outs of the season proper before I start with the doom and gloom threads.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Good post, agree with everything said.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
sabras
Club Player

not to mention with the way RL coaches the year will be a build up....we will be playing much better footy in round 18 then we play in round 8....

savatage
SS Life Member

Why?? Because you're a rational, logical Saints fan as opposed to 98% of the dickheads that post irrational, negative crap.

StSteven
Club Player

NAB Cup means nothing, zero, not a rats tossbag, not a zac. They are fun if you are winning the games but that does not mean anything either.

TheDomeHero
Club Player

SydneySainter wrote:Why Am I Not Worried?
- because you're a Genius.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I am worried that you are not worried. :wink:

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

add to that the boys were kept to their hotel rooms 2 days leading up to the game due to poor weather...

we will be fine

#1 Ryder fan
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Thw worrying part is that Lyon is still our coach.

Once again, we played his style for the first half and once again, it proved to be pathetic.

Once we changed our style, we looked Ok.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:Thw worrying part is that Lyon is still our coach.

Once again, we played his style for the first half and once again, it proved to be pathetic.

How do you know that? You watched something else.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

assistants coached the first half and Ross the second - 45 to 11 in the second half has me believing again!!!!!

Believe or Burn!

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

sorry but you are an idiot. get some facts. Lyon coached the 2nd half.

PEACE

#1 Ryder fan
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: Why Am I Not Worried?

SydneySainter wrote:Maybe because it was the NAB Cup? Maybe because a good portion of our best 22 were missing? Maybe because SOS was coaching? Maybe because we kicked 7 goals to their 2 in the second half? Maybe because I saw Goddard played some super football? Maybe because King and Gardy smashed the ruck contests? Maybe because the umpiring was sub-standard at best? Maybe because the "Voss is the Lion's saviour" bandwagon is pumping so hard that it was going to be a given that he would get a good start? Maybe because the clash jumper looked smashing, in my opinion? Maybe because frankly after the first half, we looked the much fitter team?

I could keep going. But what I do know is that we all fancied our premiership chances after we won the 08 NAB Cup, didn't we? But didn't we then go on to learn a valuable footy lesson in the first 12 rounds of the season proper.

Were there negative moments in that game? Without question - but I would rather wait until the first few hit outs of the season proper before I start with the doom and gloom threads.

yep.......nailed it....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote:

PEACE
That's hardly relevant.

He coached an entire season last year. He's been drilling this terrible and ineffective playing style into the group for 2 years now.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
MC Gusto wrote:

PEACE
That's hardly relevant.

He coached an entire season last year. He's been drilling this terrible and ineffective playing style into the group for 2 years now.
we'll see mate

we shall see

#1 Ryder fan
Batnoe

rodgerfox wrote:
MC Gusto wrote:

PEACE
That's hardly relevant.

we finished 4th last year

sydney won the flag in 05, i dont care if they played s*** unattractive footy they now have a flag and we dont, ill have any coach that can take us too a flag no matter how boring it might be.

If we win it is not boring perhaps if we had gotten over the line you may have said it was the best game you have ever seen and what a comeback?

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Batnoe wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
MC Gusto wrote:

PEACE
That's hardly relevant.

we finished 4th last year

sydney won the flag in 05, i dont care if they played s*** unattractive footy they now have a flag and we dont, ill have any coach that can take us too a flag no matter how boring it might be.

If we win it is not boring perhaps if we had gotten over the line you may have said it was the best game you have ever seen and what a comeback?
Boring has nothing to do with it.

It's not effective.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

I just have a very bad feeling re this year. I cant be bothered being more specifc, but I wouldnt be surprised to miss the 8 when you look at it sensibly, logically, and without bias.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote:I just have a very bad feeling re this year. I cant be bothered being more specifc, but I wouldnt be surprised to miss the 8 when you look at it sensibly, logically, and without bias.
Please tell me your feelings have nothing to do with a meaningless practice game. There must be more to it than that.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
iwantmeseats wrote:I just have a very bad feeling re this year. I cant be bothered being more specifc, but I wouldnt be surprised to miss the 8 when you look at it sensibly, logically, and without bias.
Please tell me your feelings have nothing to do with a meaningless practice game. There must be more to it than that.
Your right! It most certainly does not have anything to do with the match V Bris. Lordy no.

Im thinking about what we need to do improve versus to the up and comers this year right in the mirror at the moment.

Our use of the ball needs to improve out of sight. Cant say our disposal is up there with the best based on last year. I would have thought we would maybe finish mid pack in that respect? Anyway, it would seem hitting your targets this year, especially on the short kick is going to be of ultra importance.

If the entire comp goes stupid with this er....whadda they call it...clarko's defence , rolling zone or whatever the hell then short kicking and spotting targets is where it will be at!! Essentially this "rolling zone" as they say, is complete bulls*** to me IMHO, its eseentially just good old flooding!

So anyway, my concerns are disposal number one, and also speed through the midfield. Guess time will tell.

Like I said, its just a feeling I have.

I may also just be pessimistic and a touch jaded because I personally hate they way we played alot of games last year. Very boring in places.

One thing I do believe in is hope! So roll on 09.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

we will kill it this year. you watch. the boys are as fit as they have been. they have adopted to the coach and his style. they are feeling confident and believe again.

how do i know this? because i do trust me. there was a lot going on behind the scenes last year. dirty water. all cleared now.

and you rogerfox. you my friend will be proved wrong.

BOOKMARKED

#1 Ryder fan
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote:we will kill it this year. you watch. the boys are as fit as they have been. they have adopted to the coach and his style. they are feeling confident and believe again.

how do i know this? because i do trust me. there was a lot going on behind the scenes last year. dirty water. all cleared now.

and you rogerfox. you my friend will be proved wrong.

BOOKMARKED
I'm with you, the saints are in for a great year!

I understand that sometimes it appears "easier" to underpredict and to play it safe, than to have high hopes and then be bitterly dissapointed...

But the thrill of riding a season totally given over, no playing it safe for me!

ThePunter
Club Player

I saw nothing on Saturday night that would indicate we will have any trouble beating Brisbane in Round 9. They only have Merrett to come back into their KPDs, while Kosi and Riewoldt didn't play. No Hayes in the guts (or Montagna, Baker or Armitage for that matter), and no Maxy or Bakes down back. We were also missing Schneider.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Batnoe wrote:sydney won the flag in 05, i dont care if they played s*** unattractive footy they now have a flag and we dont, ill have any coach that can take us too a flag no matter how boring it might be
i could forgive the boring aspect to our gameplan if it bought us success.

but the plain truth is that the "numbers behind the ball" thing has not improved our results one iota.

it's too taxing on the players and promotes a defensive and negative mindset.
Last edited by bigcarl on Tue 17 Feb 2009 2:58pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ThePunter wrote:I saw nothing on Saturday night that would indicate we will have any trouble beating Brisbane in Round 9. They only have Merrett to come back into their KPDs, while Kosi and Riewoldt didn't play. No Hayes in the guts (or Montagna, Baker or Armitage for that matter), and no Maxy or Bakes down back. We were also missing Schneider.
I saw nothing that would indicate we could beat them either. It was a practice match with both sides having many out. Doesnt have any bearing what so ever on the real stuff.