Player Summaries Tonight

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Player Summaries Tonight

2 King- Solid as usual, dominated hitouts against inexperienced Lions combination. Showed he should be able to hold down no.1 ruck spot in 2009.
5 McEvoy- Nice early grab but quiet otherwise. Glimpses of promise, but a long way to go.
6 L.Fisher- Contested well, but far from damaging. Nothing to write home about.
14 Ball- Nothing special, but courageous as usual.
15 M.Gardiner- Some good signs, but slow to react. Not sure he's in our best 22, King and Kosi may be better Ruck options.
16 R.Clarke- Hope this was an abberation, because it looked like the bad old days. Lacked poise as he has in the past.
17 Begley- A trier but quiet.
18 Goddard- One of our best, should be played forward. Strength and class shone through.
19 Gilbert- Best on the half-back line, Goddard a better option up forward. Good at times.
21 Heyne- Very impressive, did some nice things.
22 Ray- Quiet and not all that accountable. Did a couple of courageous things though.
25- S.Fisher- Not his best game, but had little help down back.
26- Dal Santo- Same old. Class but not enough drive or impact.
27 Blake- Same story as Chips.
30- Howard- Little game time and will need to improve substantialy on what he dished up.
31 Maguire- Promising, took a couple of good grabs, and could well settle into our back six yet.
32 McQualter- Put his body on the line but didn't do much.
33 Gwilt- Poor really, sloppy and not damaging.
34 Steven- Pretty quiet, did a couple of good things.
37 Connors- Not enough game time for comment.
38 Jones- Barely sighted, don't know how much game time he got.
40 Eddy- All right before injured early.
42 Geary- Very promising, got some grunt and looks a real player.
43 Dawson- Easily our worst. Had the fumbles, gave away frees, and lost marking contests. Won't get a chance with that form.
44 Milne- In our best two or three. Came up with the goods more often than not, we would've lost by 5 goals without him.
45 Miles- A trier with some genuine skill, a significantly better back-up option than Dawson.

Overall in the second half we showed that we can play some good footy when we play vith vigour. Lack of accountability in the first half cost us, as did a fear of adventure. Defence looked a bit worrying, with only Max to come back. We seemed to miss Dempster's composure. Gilbert should be played down back, and Montagna will help.

4/10 for the night, but how much can you take away from a game where both sides were missing multiple stars and we were coached by our assistant.

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
groupie1
Club Player

Thought your thoughts on Heyne and Geary were spot on. I was also impressed by the strength of McEvoy's mark. it's a good early sign being able to take a strong mark like that under pressure.

R Clarke... I've always been a fan. I know he fumbles. He has excellent disposal half the time, dreadful the other. I have a theory he plays better when he runs before he disposes of the ball. when he plays... can I say 'instinctively'... he does the nice stuff. When he has too much time to think or not enough space to attack and run he seems tentative. Enigma. I really wanna see him do well, coz i been defending him for years.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
kp83
Club Player

I thought McEvoy did some nice things in the ruck in the 3rd quarter. Granted he was against another inexperienced ruckman, but he showed that there was something there to build on.

Loved little Jack Steven's tackling and Eljay on very limited time seemed to be able to get the ball and also layed a decent tackle considering everyone comments on how small he is.

older saint
SS Life Member

Wouldn't take too much from the game. Wet conditions made pretty much all the big guys useless. Probably why Bris didn't have a proper ruck.

Thought Heyne was OK and Geary as well. Not really expecting much from experienced players as you do not want them firing in Feb.

Great to see Maguire playing footy but looked like a bloke who hasn't played for a few years. Slow and not reading things very well. It will take time but do nto expect much this year in regards to output. 10 games in the 1s would be a bonus as i would think he is not in our best 22 at the seasons start.

groupie1
Club Player

i agree with that about Goose - he doesn't read it well at all. He needs to play 4 quarters of all pre-season games and then spend 6 weeks in the two's and see how he's traveling then.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
HarveysDeciple

groupie1 wrote:i agree with that about Goose - he doesn't read it well at all. He needs to play 4 quarters of all pre-season games and then spend 6 weeks in the two's and see how he's traveling then.
I think one of his strengths in his prime was reading the play so well. running back with the flight of the ball and taking the mark over a pack.

Last night he lacked a bit of confidence, didn't fly for some of them, just had his timing off, but showed enough promise to suggest he can defend for us once again.

Play him in all the senior practice matches and let him regain that timing and confidence.

He'll be right, the term rusty springs to mind.

henno
Club Player

milne in the best 2 or 3?? he had a shocker of a night, only redeeming himself late in the last qtr with 2 goals...slipped over so much!!

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Player Summaries Tonight

dcstkfc wrote:
45 Miles- A trier with some genuine skill, a significantly better back-up option than Dawson.
They are significantly different players. Miles is not a potential KPP...Zac is.

Miles looks like he "could" become a flanker.....

Zac (and it was only one game) made many mistakes...

Based on just last night Miles would look to bea etter chance of making ir. however one game..is only one game.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

On Heyne..he seemed to win the ball well...and I loved that mark.

However his ball use was pretty woeful and so hopefully that was just first game nerves.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Was disappointing that King and Gardiner controlled the ruck, yet we did poorly at the clearances. Is it that their ruckwork is not as precise as it should be, or were our mid-fielders poor?

Capricornia
Club Player

Im sorry to burst a few bubbles on here this morning but Gardiner was shocking and dissapointing last night. He keeps telling everyone that this is the first preseason he hasnt had to have any surgery in years and so we're all excited about the prospect of a fit and firing Gardiner. However last night, he was slow to react and got caught out time after time. His ruck work was average/ok but nothing special and it honestly looks like the game has passed him by.

We're all in big trouble if we're relying on him to get us where we need to be in 2009. Big Michaels days are probably over as a footballer as far as I can see. I was expecting him to be fit and firing and alot more nimble this year due to the fact that he should be fit, he's had a full preseason after all. I saw him on Boxing Day at the races in Albany and noticed how much slimmer he looked and thought to myself, maybe he can give the Saints ONE big season....

Its not to be though at the moment, he's too far being the eight ball! :x

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

good summary of the players but after reading it one would have thought that we were totally dominated or thrashed by the opposition.
:P
We certainly weren't

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I think Gards was just trying to do too much. He wants to prove that he can still be a gun and make every disposal count. But with the game speeding up and him slowing down, Gards just needs to play a bit more safely and get it out to Dal/Gram/Joey/BJ.

He can still win hitouts and he reads the play very well, but has to know his limitations. And at the moment I think he is backup in case King goes down. No way can we afford to have both of them in the same team.

Capricornia
Club Player

mad saint guy wrote:I think Gards was just trying to do too much. He wants to prove that he can still be a gun and make every disposal count. But with the game speeding up and him slowing down, Gards just needs to play a bit more safely and get it out to Dal/Gram/Joey/BJ.

He can still win hitouts and he reads the play very well, but has to know his limitations. And at the moment I think he is backup in case King goes down. No way can we afford to have both of them in the same team.
Oh he definitely has to stay as backup this year atleast. We've got no choice but to have it like that. We'd be better off playing that young kid ruckmen (sorry his name escapes me this morning) each week though and getting some game time and time in the gym for him.

Based on what I saw last night, Gardiner wont play more than 5 or 6 games for St Kilda this year. If he plays more than that, we're in real trouble and need to have a serious look at whats happening at the club.

brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

I miss Harvey

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

groupie1 wrote:i agree with that about Goose - he doesn't read it well at all. He needs to play 4 quarters of all pre-season games and then spend 6 weeks in the two's and see how he's traveling then.
goose's strength is reading the play well and making a contest out of nothing

this will come as the only real way of getting back into this type of movement is actually game time against opposition, not training drills

despite looking the definition of rusty last night i for one am happy to have him back on the park knowing and hoping he will come good once again

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Capricornia wrote:Im sorry to burst a few bubbles on here this morning but Gardiner was shocking and dissapointing last night. He keeps telling everyone that this is the first preseason he hasnt had to have any surgery in years and so we're all excited about the prospect of a fit and firing Gardiner. However last night, he was slow to react and got caught out time after time. His ruck work was average/ok but nothing special and it honestly looks like the game has passed him by.

We're all in big trouble if we're relying on him to get us where we need to be in 2009. Big Michaels days are probably over as a footballer as far as I can see. I was expecting him to be fit and firing and alot more nimble this year due to the fact that he should be fit, he's had a full preseason after all. I saw him on Boxing Day at the races in Albany and noticed how much slimmer he looked and thought to myself, maybe he can give the Saints ONE big season....

Been out of football a long time give him a break. Let him get a feel for the pace of it then judge. Moved well got his hands on it very happy that he and Goose got through. Better for the run id say.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Capricornia
Club Player

CURLY wrote:
Capricornia wrote:Im sorry to burst a few bubbles on here this morning but Gardiner was shocking and dissapointing last night. He keeps telling everyone that this is the first preseason he hasnt had to have any surgery in years and so we're all excited about the prospect of a fit and firing Gardiner. However last night, he was slow to react and got caught out time after time. His ruck work was average/ok but nothing special and it honestly looks like the game has passed him by.

Been out of football a long time give him a break. Let him get a feel for the pace of it then judge. Moved well got his hands on it very happy that he and Goose got through. Better for the run id say.
No thats a cop out. He plays 9 games last year so he knows what the modern pace of AFL is like and this is his first preseason without surgery since god knows when. There is no excuses this year for him in my opinion. He should have played ALOT better last night, he should have been quicker and more agile after the preseason he SHOULD have had all thngs considering. He's slimmed down considerably and hasnt got the turning circle of a hippo like he did have last year and in his final years at the Eagles yet he could still only manage 8 possesions last night. He didnt really get his hands on it and his ruckwork was average at best. Thankgod for Kingy I say otherwise our ruck stocks would be in absolute shambles!

He's got a lot of work to do and I dont think Ross Lyon would be too impressed. Im very dissapointed.

jays
Club Player

bj was great looked great up forward should play there more often kicked 2 setup 2 and got 27 touches

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

borderbarry wrote:Was disappointing that King and Gardiner controlled the ruck, yet we did poorly at the clearances. Is it that their ruckwork is not as precise as it should be, or were our mid-fielders poor?
Well naturally they controlled the hit outs but on the ground it was all Lions players... no Saints... time and time again!

I haven't seen much of Gardiner that has impressed me of late... if anything last night set a new low.

Maguire didn't look too bad... I believe he'll come good.

HarveysDeciple

Capricornia wrote:
CURLY wrote:

No thats a cop out. He plays 9 games last year so he knows what the modern pace of AFL is like and this is his first preseason without surgery since god knows when. There is no excuses this year for him in my opinion. He should have played ALOT better last night, he should have been quicker and more agile after the preseason he SHOULD have had all thngs considering. He's slimmed down considerably and hasnt got the turning circle of a hippo like he did have last year and in his final years at the Eagles yet he could still only manage 8 possesions last night. He didnt really get his hands on it and his ruckwork was average at best. Thankgod for Kingy I say otherwise our ruck stocks would be in absolute shambles!

He's got a lot of work to do and I dont think Ross Lyon would be too impressed. Im very dissapointed.

Your oppinion wouldn't be clouded by any chance would it...........

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

jays wrote:bj was great looked great up forward should play there more often kicked 2 setup 2 and got 27 touches
he'd be a potential 70-plus full forward

vacuous space
SS Life Member

InkerSaint wrote:I haven't seen much of Gardiner that has impressed me of late... if anything last night set a new low.
His last real game v West Coast would have to be the low point of his career. I thought he was gone after that performance, particularly when he didn't get a game for the rest of the year.

He can still ruck, but his around the ground dominance has long deserted him. I don't see the need for him R1, particularly as Sydney's backup is only 196cm. King and Kosi should be fine for them.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
GrumpyOne

borderbarry wrote:Was disappointing that King and Gardiner controlled the ruck, yet we did poorly at the clearances. Is it that their ruckwork is not as precise as it should be, or were our mid-fielders poor?
Spot on Barry. Working against a non-existent opposition King continually palmed the ball down to a Lion. It seems his value is negating the opposition ruck rather than dominating it himself.

Capricornia
Club Player

HarveysDeciple wrote:
Capricornia wrote:
CURLY wrote:

Your oppinion wouldn't be clouded by any chance would it...........
Not at all. I saw what I saw last night and I am just speaking the truth. Robert Walls went on and on about him last night and how he was too slow and Im not the only one in this thread whose dissapointed in Gardiner. He should be alot quicker and agile considering he's had ample opportunity to get 'right' this preseason. The fact that he put in a performance last night after virtually 4 months of preseason is a real concern. He's not in St Kildas best 22 and he'll have limited opportunitys this year, expect to see alot of him down at Casey. Honestly, I saw him on Boxing day at the races and was really excited because he is noticably slimmer and less bulky. I thought he may just repay the Saints faith in him and give them a strong season but its not going to happen. As someone else said in this thread...'there is no need for him in round 1'. He is starting behind the eightball and he's got alot of work to do.
Last edited by Capricornia on Sun 15 Feb 2009 1:43pm, edited 1 time in total.