What a pathetic soft game "football" has become

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

What a pathetic soft game "football" has become

Jesus this NAB Cup with its pissweak girlie rules is absolute garbage.

Back too afraid to rush a point - all a player has to do is barge at an opponent when they have the ball with their head down and they get awarded a free kick. :roll:

It is really s.hite. It is soft and it is another reason that the new "clean" corporate football under the Anderson/Demetriou rules has lost its soul and supporters aree losing interest.

I am only watching tonight because the Saints are playing. Couldn't watch last night and wont watch any other of these games.

Really sad that the once great football has been so homoginised and made beige :roll:

Another reason why my passion for football is waning.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
falka
Club Player

Too true, testify brother

Supporters like us are treated like poo.
As you said, we will watch as its our team, but the game under these 2 arse clowns (demitriou/Anuson) is completely unrecognisable.

They know we will front up each week, but lets make it family friendly, to get some fair weather types on board.

Unless the core types drop away, we will always be the ones who will be most disappointed,

I expected a pretty average showing scoreboard wise, that's fine, but I have lost a lot of passion for this once great game.

I thought maybe it's because we are not likely to win a flag, but then on closer analysis and reflection realised it was the state of the game.

Maybe the likes of me have no place in this game.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Too stop and star, too many rules, will not surprise me if i loose my passion for footy as well

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: What a pathetic soft game "football" has becom

joffaboy wrote:Jesus this NAB Cup with its pissweak girlie rules is absolute garbage.

Back too afraid to rush a point - all a player has to do is barge at an opponent when they have the ball with their head down and they get awarded a free kick. :roll:

It is really s.hite. It is soft and it is another reason that the new "clean" corporate football under the Anderson/Demetriou rules has lost its soul and supporters aree losing interest.

I am only watching tonight because the Saints are playing. Couldn't watch last night and wont watch any other of these games.

Really sad that the once great football has been so homoginised and made beige :roll:

Footy is nearly harder than ever. Just because we cannot hit guys in the head and punch doesnt mean that running into each other at full pace isnt hard footy.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
joffaboy wrote:Jesus this NAB Cup with its pissweak girlie rules is absolute garbage.

Footy is nearly harder than ever. Just because we cannot hit guys in the head and punch doesnt mean that running into each other at full pace isnt hard footy.
Whos said it doesn't

just does not happen much

saint4life
Solar
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

I have seen half a dozen free kicks which were fair tackles...... up until now....

maybe not so much soft as over umpired... 16 frees for one side in a half??

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I have seen half a dozen free kicks which were fair tackles...... up until now....

Yep. Got it in one. The umpires are making us kick it to them and not basically touch the footy in the second quarter. We certainly are the unluckiest side in the AFL.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

I buy my SC membership every year but in truth I've only been to 3 games in the last 2 years

the reason

Free kicks. I want to see a contest... you see a marking contest = free kick. Why = slapping hands, hands in the back, blocking, holding, tunneling, coralling, contact to the head. It's just boring now.

The teams that win games are the ones that get a number of free kicks at a time and convert them into momentum like Brisbane have tonight.

When I go to the footy these days, I honestly don't even know why half the free kicks are paid any more

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Well said Joffa but what worse for me is the inconsitency.

If its gonna be soft pay them for both sides - its f@rgon deplorable.

Its the first time Ive watched a pre season game and thought.....can I be stuffed watching a game so obviously over umpired in such an incosistent, unprofessional manner?

“Yeah….nah””
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

lol the commentators are confused by the rules now too

professional men getting paid to call a game they've watched all their lives :lol:

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

why cant they attack the corridor FFS....round the f@Rgon boundary EVERY time...NEVER looks danegrous.

“Yeah….nah””
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

The nab crap is just an Anderson-tugfest.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:The nab crap is just an Anderson-tugfest.
Yes no doubt he is involved with this game.

clobba
Club Player

Is it just me or have a lot of incorrect disposals not been paid for tackles tonight, not that until the 3rd we laid many I will admit...

StNoodles
Club Player

Thought a few of our tackles that resulted in the ball spilling out should have been paid to us in that last quarter

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

clobba wrote:Is it just me or have a lot of incorrect disposals not been paid for tackles tonight, not that until the 3rd we laid many I will admit...
Two in a row in the last five minutes. Both in the Saints forward fifty. The one by Jack Steven 25 metres out from goal was laughably pathetic. :roll:

I watched the game and every time there was I contest I expected one of the green idiots to run in and give a free kick. It was apathetic joke - administered by two pathetic fools in Andseron and Dimwit.

What a joke Mcgzrath getting reported for running into Goddard who - PURPOSEFULLY PUT HIS HEAD IN THAT POSITION SO MCGRATH HAD NO OPTION.

The rules have been designed now for players to stage for free kicks and barge forward with the ball like a rugby prop forward.

Any incidental touch to the head is an immediate free kick no matter that the player with the ball put his head doen and barged at the tackling player.

And to the poster who reckons footy is harder than ever - pfft. It is a game of pussy foot - over umpired with rules that have taken any colour and soul out of the game.

Reall piss poor and very dissapointing to see a once great game reduced to a game for stagers and bargers.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
mick13
Club Player

I actually LOL"ed at those last few free kicks against us. Dawson, Steven and Eljay. Honestly...

Just be thankful it was a NAB cup game, otherwise I dont think I woulda been loling.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
clobba wrote:Is it just me or have a lot of incorrect disposals not been paid for tackles tonight, not that until the 3rd we laid many I will admit...
Two in a row in the last five minutes. Both in the Saints forward fifty. The one by Jack Steven 25 metres out from goal was laughably pathetic. :roll:

I watched the game and every time there was I contest I expected one of the green idiots to run in and give a free kick. It was apathetic joke - administered by two pathetic fools in Andseron and Dimwit.

What a joke Mcgzrath getting reported for running into Goddard who - PURPOSEFULLY PUT HIS HEAD IN THAT POSITION SO MCGRATH HAD NO OPTION.

The rules have been designed now for players to stage for free kicks and barge forward with the ball like a rugby prop forward.

Any incidental touch to the head is an immediate free kick no matter that the player with the ball put his head doen and barged at the tackling player.

And to the poster who reckons footy is harder than ever - pfft. It is a game of pussy foot - over umpired with rules that have taken any colour and soul out of the game.

Reall piss poor and very dissapointing to see a once great game reduced to a game for stagers and bargers.
Get out there Howdy dode and see how hard it is or if you have the courage ask the current players how hard they hit these days. They run harder they hit harder but yes sorry they dont hit guys when they arent watching.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Why do they still have 20m marks in the NAB? It makes no sense. Teams are overusing handballs a lot more than short kicks these days. There were times tonight where it looked like both teams were trying to handball it from goal to goal. Or around in circles.

I say let them play without these gimmicky never-to-be-adopted rules. I don't mind them trialling things in preseason, but the supergoals and 20m marks have to go.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
Solar
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Yep. Got it in one. The umpires are making us kick it to them and not basically touch the footy in the second quarter. We certainly are the unluckiest side in the AFL.
did I say all of them were stkilda tackles...... you are so obvious :roll:

I will let the footage do the talking but the game has lost it's way, all we want it a fair contest.... right now it's almost impossible not to give away a free....

FQF
In richo I trust

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

I will let the footage do the talking but the game has lost it's way, all we want it a fair contest.... right now it's almost impossible not to give away a free....
So you are saying we get bad decisions but our opponents do not or it goes both ways why do we even care because it will even itself up in the game anyway.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: Get out there Howdy dode and see how hard it is or if you have the courage ask the current players how hard they hit these days. They run harder they hit harder but yes sorry they dont hit guys when they arent watching.
You really cant read can you?

What a typically stupid comment.

Why do you continue with this act of not being able to distinguish between dirty play and hard at it play?

Or is it not an act?

Really the game is as soft as your reasoning. It is a game of pussy foot played by stagers and bargers.

But drones and acolytes will defend the indefensible.

Anderson and Demetriou have ripped the soul out of the game with their beige lifeless intrepretation of the game.

As for me playing the game. I did in the 80's when you did get hit when you weren't looking and I can tell you I didn't like it one little bit. I actually did like the fact that you got rewarded for fair tackles. Not like now where you get pinged because a pussy stager or barger puts their fairy head down and plays for the free lick.

Put you keep supporting your heros at AFL house - we all get a good luagh out of your lack of understanding even the most basic of positions :D :D

Lance or James??

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: So you are saying we get bad decisions but our opponents do not or it goes both ways why do we even care because it will even itself up in the game anyway.
When did it even up?

It was pathetic all night. It is the rules and the pathetic intrepretations of the rule s that have turned it into a game for stagers and bargers.

But apparently you like it soft. Or so it would seem.

Lance or James??

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
plugger66 wrote: Get out there Howdy dode and see how hard it is or if you have the courage ask the current players how hard they hit these days. They run harder they hit harder but yes sorry they dont hit guys when they arent watching.
You really cant read can you?

What a typically stupid comment.

Why do you continue with this act of not being able to distinguish between dirty play and hard at it play?

Or is it not an act?

Really the game is as soft as your reasoning. It is a game of pussy foot played by stagers and bargers.

But drones and acolytes will defend the indefensible.

Anderson and Demetriou have ripped the soul out of the game with their beige lifeless intrepretation of the game.

As for me playing the game. I did in the 80's when you did get hit when you weren't looking and I can tell you I didn't like it one little bit. I actually did like the fact that you got rewarded for fair tackles. Not like now where you get pinged because a pussy stager or barger puts their fairy head down and plays for the free lick.

Put you keep supporting your heros at AFL house - we all get a good luagh out of your lack of understanding even the most basic of positions :D :D
Sorry I didnt see how you adrressed they hit harder than ever apart from you saying it is soft. They run harder they hit harder but blinkered people like you will never see it because you want the old hit behind the play or shirtfronts when not expecting it. IMO no courage in that rubbish. If you drop your head these days in going for a mark it is on about 5 shows back in your day many more did it but it wasnt shown. Dont believe me watch watch some footage in your early 30's are back in the 1970's.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

So you are saying we get bad decisions but our opponents do not or it goes both ways why do we even care because it will even itself up in the game anyway.
all I said was that there were WAY too many free kicks paid... most of the time the free kick was not there

FOR BOTH TEAMS

as I have already said, most football fans look for a contest.... currently it's barely a contest.....

there was no way there was 22+ free kicks in that first half. Most of the time it was being kicked back and forth in the backlines. When it was a 50/50 the umpire nit picked and ruined the game.

Have said that many a time about a good game I have watched between two sides I have no personal interest in, where a series of decisions ruined the match because it had no feel for the game or allowing the contest to just be a contest.

Notice that the best quarter in terms of pressure and contest beween the two teams happened in the final quarter when the whistle went away. Also noticed that the grand final had 3 umpires who just allowed te game to play out.....

unfortunately this is not the usual

FQF
In richo I trust