Official thread St Kilda v. Brisbane NAB Cup Round 1

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

mad saint guy wrote:

..........BJ is a genuine star of the comp

The umpiring was terrible. High contact and HTB interpretations were absolutely disgraceful.......
Couldn't agree more msg :shock:

No Contract, No Contact :shock:
Solar
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
ace wrote:
Devilhead wrote:Goddard kicked a 9 pointer but it was only payed as a 6 pointer - the umpire called play on and he kicked it from outside the 50
As soon as the umpire calls "play on" the free kick has been taken and general play recommences.

If Goddard kicked the ball after that from outside 50 it is clearly a 9 pointer.

If he kicked the ball before the umpire called play on, then the umpire should have kept his mouth shut and it is a 6 pointer.

It is only a practice match so even the umpires are practicing (cheating us).
The rule is for practice matches so who cares but the rule in this case is that if the player plays on and then kicks it from outside 50 it is a 6 pointer. To become a 9 pointer he needs to drop the ball or handball. He must lose possession in other words. The reason they do this is of you took a mark 30 out you could take your run up from outside 50 and then quickly run off your line which wood mean play on and then kick a 9 pointer. It could become stupid as a player who marks 10 out could go outside 50 to take his kick and try and get a 9 pointer.
why would that be stupid? they are all kicking it from outside 50 in a play on situation..... if a player wants to risk being caught with the ball by playing on then it's their risk to take....

a free kick and 50 gets you 9 points :roll:

If they ever bring it into the real season I will spew

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
ace wrote:
Devilhead wrote:Goddard kicked a 9 pointer but it was only payed as a 6 pointer - the umpire called play on and he kicked it from outside the 50
As soon as the umpire calls "play on" the free kick has been taken and general play recommences.

If Goddard kicked the ball after that from outside 50 it is clearly a 9 pointer.

If he kicked the ball before the umpire called play on, then the umpire should have kept his mouth shut and it is a 6 pointer.

The rule is for practice matches so who cares but the rule in this case is that if the player plays on and then kicks it from outside 50 it is a 6 pointer. To become a 9 pointer he needs to drop the ball or handball. He must lose possession in other words. The reason they do this is of you took a mark 30 out you could take your run up from outside 50 and then quickly run off your line which wood mean play on and then kick a 9 pointer. It could become stupid as a player who marks 10 out could go outside 50 to take his kick and try and get a 9 pointer.
why would that be stupid? they are all kicking it from outside 50 in a play on situation..... if a player wants to risk being caught with the ball by playing on then it's their risk to take....

It is a crap rule for the 20/20 version of footy so it really doesnt matter but would you want a guy to mark it in the goal square and walk all the way back to past the 50 line and then play on and kick it. It would look stupid but as I said it doesnt really matter as it is for these games only.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Solar wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
ace wrote:

It is a crap rule for the 20/20 version of footy so it really doesnt matter but would you want a guy to mark it in the goal square and walk all the way back to past the 50 line and then play on and kick it. It would look stupid but as I said it doesnt really matter as it is for these games only.
not as stupid as if they called a 50 metre penalty for being a cm over the mark and giving a shot from 30 9 points. Its just a silly rule full stop, but I agree that it doesn't matter in the end cause its a crap stupid pre-season cup..

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

My massive two cents worth is...I didn't watch the game, I couldn't be bothered seeing us win it AGAIN and I laughed when I heard Ross Lyon handed the coaching reigns over to Silvagni! :lol: This sounded like a training drill IMO We're experimenting and that is BRILLIANT!

The Herald Sun write-up stated "This was a ho-hum game in a country carnival atmosphere and we won't really know where St Kilda is at until the first month of the home and away season." - Sounds about right to me! Experiment away Ross ;)

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
Saints94
SS Life Member

Great comeback boys farking umpires :x

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Alright...

I've abstained from contributing for a very simple reason.

I was at the game, and usually I can poke holes in our team like the warden does through a poster of Rita Hayworth in The Shawshank Redemption (

However, on this occasion I thought something was wrong. I wasn't picking through every error and writing players off; I thought we actually played alright in patches, and given the rustiness and lack of confidence from some players, it wasn't too bad. What was wrong with me?

So I watched the whole game again last night on TV from a different perspective. I saw a few different things, too.

Defence:
First things first - Zac Dawson is nowhere near as bad as some made him out to be. In my view, I think he's a good rookie choice (though I would have taken him a lot later) and could make for a handy back up in the advent Max, Goose or Chips goes down. He's not in their class yet, but he offered athleticism and and a competitive spirit. A few clangers made his game look worse than it was. He was rarely beaten and watching the game again re-affirmed that view. A worthy 12-month rookie project.

It's a pleasure to see Matt Maguire back. He's lost the natural spring and energy which made him such a brilliant centre-half back, which is sad. But that's not to see he can't convert himself into a steadier full-back, which is the role he'll have to take when Max retires. He played ok and took some nice marks. The potential is there for him to recover much of his confidence, but I think the athletic capacity is gone.

Nick Dal Santo is an interesting one. Butchered on here, I felt he played quite well. Easy touches? Perhaps, but he needs confidence and it wasn't a bad way to ease him in. Sooner or later he will have to move back to the midfield though.

Farren Ray was good. He tried as you might expect; the recurring thought I had was that he'll make for a handy back-up midfielder or running defender. He looks worthy of the gamble, which effectively netted us Rhys Stanley and Farren Ray instead of Jordan Roughead. Time will tell. Especially after losing Birss, we're short on back-up midfielders. His running role out of defence wasn't perfect, but he got his hands on the footy - and clearly Ross has told him to handball, which is good.

It's hard to be critical of Raph Clarke on here; you know you'll be labelled as a racist, sexist, bigoted, anti-semite, molester, communist with rabies. He is a good player at times and has some valuble attributes but his critical errors will continue to cost us at least 1-2 goals per game. I was about 20 metres from him when he coughed the ball up for Harding; he called for the ball from Goddard and sure enough, fumbled at the critical moment. I think why it's extra frustrating is because we know Raph has loads of ability and talent and we want him so badly to make that next step. Take away the errors in his game, and you have a fine player - as shown late last year. I want him to make "it so f****n bad I can taste it", as Nick Nolte once said.

Other notes: Colm Begley looked better at the ground than on TV. Made position well, stuck to his task, offered run and support.

Midfield:
Luke Ball tried all night. He always does. He's not outstanding, can't kick over a jam tin and doesn't have explosive pace, but he looks good in packs. I think he's realising that he can be effective in modern footy by winning the tough ball. He needs to be our Greg Williams.

Sam Fisher is not the 11th best player in the competition, as Mike Sheahan would have you believe. He is still too one-sided to be as good as that and he didn't start too well, either. But boy, have we found a new pinch-hitting midfielder? He did superbly when thrown into the middle. If ever we're getting battered inside, he could well be a 5-10 minute pack-breaker. Did little when up forward, didn't impress more than usual in defence.

Brendon Goddard might be the 11th best, though. He is our most important player in 2/3rds of the ground. His use of the ball is so good that we almost have to weasel him away from defence and into a role where he can deliver the footy forward and hurt teams offensively. He is thoroughly damaging and effective; even when his passes don't hit targets, they seldom end up being turned over because his shot selection is so good. He is an expert at high-percentage plays.

It's not hard to see why Jack Steven already has a following. He's got everything you like in a footballer of his build/size. He's sturdy, hungry, quick and likes a goal. Comparisons were with Paul Chapman, but there's a bit of Steven Baker as well. Has to play at least 8-10 games this year.

Jarryn Geary shone at this stage last year and it looks like he's developing as a quick-starter. Another good game from him. Has bulked up and looks a more complete midfielder. Good depth player at the very least.

I hardly noticed Eljay Connors at the ground, except to say he'd noticably bulked up. On TV, yes, you can see why everybody was so enthused. Quick, smart, hungry. Maybe he's got it. One suspects he's going to be a big, big improver this year. Exciting to see him run, because he gets across the turf well. Nick Heyne also caugh the eye and I like him a lot. I still maintain his kicking style will hurt him under pressure, as it did a little on Saturday night. He needs to iron it out and then he could be something. Even if he doesn't, I can see a 150-game+ career in him.

Other notes: Andrew McQualter gave a lot of effort, especially in the packs and did alright without being special - typical. Brad Howard had endeavour but no polish. Robert Eddy moved well before going down. I hope he learns to win the football because he's a smart footballer otherwise and I reckon you can't have enough of those. Clint Jones is not a smart footballer, but can find it reguarly. If only we could mix them into one player...

Forwards:

Ben McEvoy sometimes looks like a gun; other times, he looks like Barry Brooks. It's still early days in his career, but we need to get him in amongst it in the regular season to find out what made him a first-round choice. He took a nice grab and goal, but didn't look remarkably good apart from that. We're still waiting.

Stephen Milne...is Stephen Milne. He'll make critical errors until he dies, but still kick goals when he doesn't. Got a feeling he was extra rusty though; I felt 2008 was one of his best seasons and believe he can get back to his best.

Other notes: We can't win matches without Nick Riewoldt. Tom Lynch better be able to play...

Ruckwork:

I wish I could dig up the posts were people bagged Steven King when we traded for him. He was very good for us last year and will have a similar impact this year, and hopefully until he's about 32-33. A real bargain whilst we develop others. He didn't have much competition, but that'll be good for his confidence.

Michael Gardiner looked as fit as I've seen him at St Kilda. Rippling fit. It's just a shame the game has sped up so much; it's not 1999 any more. He has to realise that you can play on, but you must be aware that pressure is unrelenting these days. To be fair, his three bad errors weren't that bad for someone of his size; he showed more agility and hunger than I've seen for a while. And he rucked alright, minus the one where Goddard had to fill in.

Other notes: McEvoy rucked briefly and didn't do an awful lot.

Overall: C+
We lost and let them get away, but it wasn't a disaster as we clawed back.

Great to see us handballing more, but we simply have to handball smarter and more aggresively forward. Brisbane ripped us through the middle with slick, smart handballing, which invariably freed up a running defender/midfielder.

We're probably not in a position to compete with the top two teams this year. I shudder to think how we'll go against Hawthorn or Geelong with anything less than our A-ist of A-games. We're short on midfielders (BC would have fixed that while DA comes along), key defenders (Dawson and Gaertner, fingers crossed one makes it) and a second tall forward (cross everything you have Lynch can play, McEvoy looks more a ruck, as does Kosi). But I hope we continue to develop young players and I was pleased to see the coaching staff do exactly that.

Crowd:
Absolutely freakin' packed with Sainters! My goodness, we had least 40% of fans there and probably closer to 50%. I was shocked. We must have a real following on the Coast. I caught the train down from Roma St and there was a few Lions fans but a lot more Sainters. Great to see.

We're going to get some excellent support up there later in the year. Not quite what we got in Tassie (I can remember looking around at a match v Port and seeing a sea of RW&B everywhere), but it's good. Get up there if you can.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.