Official thread St Kilda v. Brisbane NAB Cup Round 1

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Sam23 wrote:I thought Heyne was poor except for one good mark.

A few 'hungry' shots at goal just prior to half time and after taking a mark on the wing kicked to a brisbane player, but was luckily spoiled by Gardiner.
What were you expecting of him?
It was his first serious game of senior AFL footy (albeit a 'practice match') and he didn't appear to be overawed by the situation.
He didn't appear to shirk any issue.
He won the footy a number of times.

I reckon he showed enough to give me faith that the recruiters knew what they were doing when they drafted him.

He was a 3rd round draft pick - not a top 10 like Daniel Rich.

the_D_train
Club Player

Can a mod please just ban that pickle guy allready !!

pickle_weasel
Club Player

aww im sorry :( cant handle the truth?

the_D_train
Club Player

i cant handle BS !

pickle_weasel
Club Player

the_D_train wrote:i cant handle the truth !
fixt

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Banned :-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
the_D_train
Club Player

now you have to fix quotes.

the_D_train
Club Player

saint66au... you are my favourite mod :D

Sam23
SS Life Member

Mr Magic wrote:

A few 'hungry' shots at goal just prior to half time and after taking a mark on the wing kicked to a brisbane player, but was luckily spoiled by Gardiner.
It was his first serious game of senior AFL footy (albeit a 'practice match') and he didn't appear to be overawed by the situation.

I reckon he showed enough to give me faith that the recruiters knew what they were doing when they drafted him.

Was expecting nothing.

Pretty much got what i expected.

Not knocking him at all, just not sure what is with all the love.

Goddard.
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Sam23 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:

Was expecting nothing.

Well I, and apparently some others if the posts on here tonight are reflective, watched a differnet broadcast than you tonight.

Because if you expected 'nothing' then his perfornace was 1000% better than that.

mick13
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:
Sam23 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:

Was expecting nothing.

Well I, and apparently some others if the posts on here tonight are reflective, watched a differnet broadcast than you tonight.

Because if you expected 'nothing' then his perfornace was 1000% better than that.
Hate to be pedantic but 1000% of nothing...is nothing. :P

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Bring on the NAB challenge matches :)

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

mick13 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
Sam23 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:

Was expecting nothing.

Hate to be pedantic but 1000% of nothing...is nothing. :P
Yes you are correct Mick.
I used the wrong terminology.

I should have said that his game produced far more positive results than an 'expectation of nothing' would have.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Get BJ forward and Chips. :D
not a bad idea. :wink: couldn't do much worse than we're doing tonight.
unfortunately they didn't take up your idea until it was too late.

Saintersss
Club Player

Was very happy with Steven's and Geary's performances. Both played well and look like they could do something this year.

McEvoy has a very nice mark, but didn't get much of the ball. But looks like he could be something in the future.

Begley was almost non-existant and Dawson made plenty of mistakes.

Everytime Ray got the ball he didn't really know what to do with it, and he seemed more of an inside mid than an outside one... :?:

Gilbert played well, when he was up forward he made a few good leads and when he went back to half-back he seems to create a bit of run which was nice to see.

Goose was okay, but I wasn't expecting too much from him seeing as he hasn't played in a while.

Ralph got a lot of the ball, but was very fumbly, but okay at times... Not sure what is going to happen with him. Could have a great or terrible year, lets hope he does well.

Overall the first half was absolute s***, but it got much better in the second half, seems like we are doing the same as last year... (getting behind and then trying to come back)
I'm not so dissapointed about the loss, but would have rather that the saints won so that I could have watched the next games on TV. :P

uncle joe
Club Player

Not a good game and not much to be happy about .

However :

The second half was a huge improvement on the first .

Goddard is a real star .

Goose looks like he will be OK .

Steven will be a plus this year .

McEvoy could make it . (but needs more time . maybe 2010 ) .

Still plenty of time 'til round 1 .

Red
Club Player

First of all it was a really bad night to play footy which was why the

ball handling and disposal was so bad. So I'm not sure that you can make

judgements based on that.

However, what I did see was that

Gwilt was very clean with his hands picking the ball off the ground.

Stevens showed he has great balance,

Ray knows how to get the ball.

McEvoy showed a lot playing forward for a 200cm big fella.

Both ruckman looked good.

Goddard looks like he is moving into the top echelon of players.

The team has a lot of flexibility.

The two real negatives I saw was that we just don't like to tackle and that

is the reason Jones and Mini will get games this year because the stars

don't make the effort.

and Raph seems to get really dispondent after he makes a mistake

and it ruins his night.

[/b]

Longwayfromhome
Club Player

First real hit out for 2009, so expect a lot of indifferent skills. Add the weather conditions and we looked like having some testing times.
Ruckmen looked great: BJ will win our B&F and will be our next captain:Milne looked our ONLY dangerous forward: Heyne, Steven, Ray showed enough to give supporters some enthusiasm. Like Dal as a half back and like the run Ralph gives us through the middle. Not sure about McEvoy although he might find it tough getting over King, Gardiner and Kosi.
Backline gave me shudders every time it went into the Lions forward fifty and the onballers disappointing given the dominance of the ruck.
The forwards ? No idea what was going on down there. Lots of experiments. Not sure any of it worked. Still not sure there is anyone capable of holding down full forward and by that I mean at least 50 goals in the year. Would have been nice to see Cahill, Lynch or even Goose in the ten yard square. Soon maybe ?
Foot skills were dubious, but the guys ran themselves into the game. Can't be too disappointed.
Love the new jumpers
Go Saints

Leave your ego's in the locker when you start and pick them up again when you retire
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

I was at the game.

A few observations.

Don't read anything into it. Both teams were pumping players in and out of the action through the interchange and juggling players forward nd back so fast it was ridiculously hard to follow. The game couldn't fond a rhythm. A few of their passes and kicks stuck. We had the fumbles. So what at this early stage. Add to that the weather - in case you didn't know, it was torrential rain for three days up until and hour or so before the bounce. The ground may have looked green but it was sopping wet and slippery. Both sides, I reckon, were playing very cautiously.

Eddy - unlucky as.

McEvoy - want him to do something but not sure he's up to it. Slow, cumbersome and positionally a little naive. Looked lost a lot.

Gardiner - Looked fit and willing, but gee disposal was shite.

BJ - absolute gun. Leader.

Maguire - good to see him back and all but not sure if he has a place really.

Steven - real terrier. May do what Armitage seems to promise but not deliver.

Ball - looked very fit.

Kingy - very fit and absolutely smashed it.

Raph - looked bigger than I remember. Bit clumsy at times, but seemed to be looking for action.

Liked the look of Dawson and Ray in bits. Zac a bit clumsy tho. They'll be handy enough. Better than the likes of what we let go IMO.

I didn't see anything really too outstanding from Heyne, Miles, Howard etc. That said not really familiar with them yet so perhaps I was forgetting about them. Liked the look of Eljay tho. Seemed quite quick.

We seemed to fall off tackles. They seemed to make them.

Other than second quarter, pretty solid hit out for a trial.

IMO and that's all it is I got the impression we were playing around with structure, like we were sketching ideas (S Fisher forward for whgat seemed a long time ??!??!) , and giving junior boys a real crack.

I don't reckon they'll give two hoots about losing it. But the old four quarter effort thing will come up again...

Cararra is really quite cool in that old dribbly meat pie yelling from the chook wire kind of way...

ace
Saintsational Legend

Lets cut through the crap.
Nothing has changed.
Same old, same old, only put in the effort when necessary and then often too late.

Geelong and Hawthorn play full on, flat to the floor board, 100% best effort, for 100% of the match, every match.

St Kilda plays on cruise control.
If the opponent makes a break they can be cudgeled into a better effort.
It may even get them over the line but they rarely bury a class opponent as Geelong did in the 2007 GF.

If they put on a great effort one week to beat a top opponent, next week it is relaxation time.

Geelong players like Gary Ablett enjoy putting the hammer down, St Kilda players would rather save some energy for the after game entertainment.

The young players get cut from the team after a loss but the truth be known, other than now retired Robert Harvey, the greatest criminals are the senior players.

Unfortunately the AFL player agreement does not allow for half pay for half effort from senior players.

The world is full of talent that never achieved anything.
Achieving a premiership requires a complete change in attitude from the senior players.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

the_D_train wrote:saint66au... you are my favourite mod :D
He now requires a hat that is 4 sizes larger :wink: :roll: :wink: !!

ace
Saintsational Legend

[quote="Devilhead"]Goddard kicked a 9 pointer but it was only payed as a 6 pointer - the umpire called play on and he kicked it from outside the 50[/quote]

As soon as the umpire calls "play on" the free kick has been taken and general play recommences.

If Goddard kicked the ball after that from outside 50 it is clearly a 9 pointer.

If he kicked the ball before the umpire called play on, then the umpire should have kept his mouth shut and it is a 6 pointer.

It is only a practice match so even the umpires are practicing (cheating us).

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
Devilhead wrote:Goddard kicked a 9 pointer but it was only payed as a 6 pointer - the umpire called play on and he kicked it from outside the 50
As soon as the umpire calls "play on" the free kick has been taken and general play recommences.

If Goddard kicked the ball after that from outside 50 it is clearly a 9 pointer.

If he kicked the ball before the umpire called play on, then the umpire should have kept his mouth shut and it is a 6 pointer.

It is only a practice match so even the umpires are practicing (cheating us).
The rule is for practice matches so who cares but the rule in this case is that if the player plays on and then kicks it from outside 50 it is a 6 pointer. To become a 9 pointer he needs to drop the ball or handball. He must lose possession in other words. The reason they do this is of you took a mark 30 out you could take your run up from outside 50 and then quickly run off your line which wood mean play on and then kick a 9 pointer. It could become stupid as a player who marks 10 out could go outside 50 to take his kick and try and get a 9 pointer.

saintbob
SS Life Member

Its a pity Fanta Pants didn't play it would've been good to get a look a him, especially as we struggled so much up forward.
Because of the lack of TV coverage for the rest of our preseason games, we probably won't get a look until the season proper begins.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Didn't watch it. In fact I forgot about it for about 2 hours. That's how enthused I am in the current style of play and the way the game has degenerated to utter pus.

See you all in 6 weeks when the real stuff starts,well ,what's left of it

Bring back the Lockett era