Farren Ray

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

STK2009
Club Player

Farren Ray

Judging by Rosso at the Intraclub it seems fairly likely that The Falcon will be a starting fixture in the midfield outside Bally, Grammy, Lenny and Dal.

What does everyone think of this bloke. I am rating him very highly from what I have seen.

Seems a natural leader and a quality outside presence.
I want to know how enthusiastic everyone is about him.
The outside midfielder and former Bulldog will add depth and skill to the Saints’ midfield in 2009. The former top-four draft pick will be aiming to showcase his undoubted talent on a consistent basis.
Looks to have a very direct game.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

He has so much potential but it will really depend whether or not he can get it out from himself.

I am doubtful yet faintly optimistic.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
killa_gram
Club Player

I quite like him, I hope he goes ok for us. Quick, skillful, just what we need.

Innocent until proven guilty!

I'm Baaaaaaaaack!!!!!!
STK2009
Club Player

always hard when you are replacing a 380-game superstar.

the only techinical deficiency i can find in his game is that in defense he tends to wait around with outstretched arms.
perhaps a symptom of everyone needing to trust him.

in attack he is deadly.

STK2009
Club Player

STK2009 wrote:the only techinical deficiency i can find in his game is that in defense he tends to wait around with outstretched arms.
perhaps a symptom of everyone needing to trust him.
in saying that he seems to lack a willingness to tackle and waits for the disposal to come to him in turning defense into attack rather than being a hardball getter.

rexy
SS Life Member

He doesnt like to put his head over the ball is what you are saying, and you are right. he is quick and skillful when there is no preassure, however under preassure be it real or inferred preassure he can fumble and dispose of the ball too quickly without real direction.

A 4 or 5 season veteran who has not caught up to the speed of AFL, if he can do this he will be a coup, if he cant he will be a down hill skier like Fiora who looks good when the side is rolling but not so good in the tight contests.

IMO

Maybe this year?
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

rexy wrote:He doesnt like to put his head over the ball is what you are saying, and you are right. he is quick and skillful when there is no preassure, however under preassure be it real or inferred preassure he can fumble and dispose of the ball too quickly without real direction.

A 4 or 5 season veteran who has not caught up to the speed of AFL, if he can do this he will be a coup, if he cant he will be a down hill skier like Fiora who looks good when the side is rolling but not so good in the tight contests.

IMO
Actually if you read what most Bulldog fans think of Ray "not putting his head over the ball" does NOT get a mention.

The key questions they have are:

Disposal - can run into goal from 35 and kick to opposition.
Awareness - they often lament he doesnt "feel" when hes about to be run down and it happened to much.

He's apparently not "super quick" as many think but does cover the ground well, can run all day (big tank) and is surprisingly good overhead.

Im praying the guys about to blossom, work out where he belongs in a side that really needs his run and carry with the ball - lets face it the Dogs have plenty of dash.

Fingers crossed.

“Yeah….nah””
STK2009
Club Player

rexy wrote:He doesnt like to put his head over the ball is what you are saying.
thats what i'm saying, yes.

Teflon wrote:Disposal - can run into goal from 35 and kick to opposition.
Awareness - they often lament he doesnt "feel" when hes about to be run down and it happened to much.
have seen no evidence of this.
seems to have a very penetrating kick when aiming at a tall.
WBD's problem was that they did not ever have talls for Ray to kick to.
seems to be very aware of his ability to dispose by hand aswell.

rexy
SS Life Member

Toes crossed as well, I have two bulldog supporting mates who two years ago thought he had more potential than the Brownlow medalist. If he fulfills that potential he could be the best trade in AFL history.

To me he looks like he spends it before he gets it, feels inferred preassure and instead of keeping his head over the ball gathering and then moving off or disposing, he tries to do it all in one motion, same with his kicking, rushes shots due to preassure that isnt there.

Goddard had a similar problem I thought and has overcome it. Gram can still be similar IMO.

Maybe this year?
STK2009
Club Player

i guess when you're an outside midfielder come defender you need to be able to achieve the hardball get and have the trust of your team from the defensive fifty.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

rexy wrote:He doesnt like to put his head over the ball is what you are saying, and you are right. he is quick and skillful when there is no preassure, however under preassure be it real or inferred preassure he can fumble and dispose of the ball too quickly without real direction.

IMO

Spot

On.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Batnoe

i have mentioned many times i cant wait to see him in stkilda colours. is already in my top 4 players for the saints, i know my players and have seen Farren play at the dogs and had always noticed him with the ball

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

I know you rate him but top 4? wow.

Which of the following players do you think he is better than?

Riewoldt
S.Fisher
Goddard
Hayes
Ball
Gram
Montagna
Dal Santo

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Batnoe wrote:i have mentioned many times i cant wait to see him in stkilda colours. is already in my top 4 players for the saints, i know my players and have seen Farren play at the dogs and had always noticed him with the ball
That makes our depth poor. He wasnt in the Dogs 22 and he is top 4 for us. Makes me wonder how you have seen him play in saints colours when he hasnt played yet.

jays
Club Player

he is not in out top four, well not yet!

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I think he's pretty much the same as Fiora, except he gets a bit more of the ball and has slightly worse disposal skills. He'll be an ok fringe player, but hopefully he will be overtaken by a Geary/Steven/Heyne/Lynch by the end of the year.

STK2009
Club Player

i think we'll see him as a starter.

rexy
SS Life Member

STK2009 wrote:i think we'll see him as a starter.
Will definately be a starter early in the season I think, must have 60+ games of experience, is quick and looks fit and is 1 of a few choices to help release Gilbert and Goddard from the back line.

Maybe this year?
STK2009
Club Player

the belief is that if fit he will start against sydney at the dome.

sainter35
Club Player

Teflon wrote:

IMO
Actually if you read what most Bulldog fans think of Ray "not putting his head over the ball" does NOT get a mention.

The key questions they have are:

Disposal - can run into goal from 35 and kick to opposition.

He's apparently not "super quick" as many think but does cover the ground well, can run all day (big tank) and is surprisingly good overhead.

Im praying the guys about to blossom, work out where he belongs in a side that really needs his run and carry with the ball - lets face it the Dogs have plenty of dash.

Fingers crossed.
Spot on Teflon,

There's no question mark over his courage or willingness to put his head over the ball.

Not a bad mark here for a player that supposedly lacks courage

Hell, look at a couple of Daniel Giansiracusa's efforts tonight. The thing that Gia has in his favour is that he is so composed when he has the ball.

It's this area that Farren needs to improve and I'm confident the move will do him good. It can't have been easy seeing the development of teammates like Cooney and Griffen while he was in and out of the side all season.

supersaints
Club Player

I am hoping he will deliver, but history shows players we have recruited fron the Doggies have been a dissapointment...... I ain't going to get over-excited...... yet.....

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

From what most have said in this post he sounds like a Fiora...soft and possibly useless.

marksnsparks
Club Player

I really like the look of Ray in the intra club game. Looked like he had plenty of pace.

We live in hope.

mick13
Club Player

Go read some of the threads on BF from the trading period. Most Dogs fans say it's BS when people say he has no courage. It's just his disposal and awareness that needs improving.

I can honestly say I've barely noticed him when watching Dogs games, so I can't comment. But I'd be more willing to listen to what Dogs fans say then what Saints fans say.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

I think he's got more going for him than Fiora. He could be a good replacement for Gram at half back, assuming Gram is moving into the midfield.

I think he may have had some fitness issues at the Dogs, which hampered his ability to run out games. I hope the saints have addressed this. If so, he could very well be an excellent pick-up.