I scored some Moorabbin memorabilia today

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

I scored some Moorabbin memorabilia today

..and I dint have to scale any fences to do it :-)

Whilst wandering up and down Linton St waiting for the gates to open, I spied some paper blown up againt the boundary fence. On closer inpsection I found that it was not just any old piece of paper, but sections of a "Saint" magazine from 1985!! Lying under it was footy record also from 1985, for our game there v Geelong. After some careful prising through the fence, I now am in posession of both :-)

The Saint" paper is not in great nick, but the fact that it and the footy record obviously has been lying under the stand somewhere for over 20 years, to only be blown free during the renovations made them a fascinating find to me. I wonder what other treasures have been uncovered?

I also saw 2 drink cans (not aluminium), one Fosters Lager and one for a brand of orange soft drink I didnt know. Both had their contents in fl oz rather than mls..as well as an empty Minties box...and I think its been a while since you could buy Minties in a box!

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Let me know if you want anymore junk..it may save me a tip fee...

:lol: :lol:

Will the Saints ever be classed as a good club ?
TriColourDisciple
Club Player

I understand your excitement in finding these treasures saint66au.
I too would be rapt to discover those things.
I wonder what else has been hidden in the stands over all those years.

Proudly Brainwashed since 1972
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

Do you mean a premiership come could be hidden under the stand's that they havent told us about and we have 2 premierships :)

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Hmmm i wonder who brought the record... so interesting :)

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:Hmmm i wonder who brought the record... so interesting :)
Was a Saints fan cos the scores were marked in

John Bennett and Eel both kicked 5..we were in front at 3/4 time but the final scores werent marked in

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:
clarky449 wrote:Hmmm i wonder who brought the record... so interesting :)
Was a Saints fan cos the scores were marked in

John Bennett and Eel both kicked 5..we were in front at 3/4 time but the final scores werent marked in
Usually meant we lost when I did that..

Usually we lost.

cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

Not this one from round 6 in 1985? DOn't remember #33 bagging 5 that often...

St Kilda 7.2 10.6 15.8 16.12 (108)
Geelong 4.3 9.7 13.15 15.21 (111)
GOALS: St Kilda: G.McAdam 5, R.Elphinstone 5, P.Cronan, J.Bennett, G.Burns, P.Narkle, F.Carbone, P.Kiel
Geelong: G.Ablett 6, M.Lenaghan 2, D.Morgan 2, A.Bews 2, B.Lindner, S.Reynoldson, D.Flanigan
Crowd: 14,665 at Moorabbin Oval on Saturday, 4th May

TriColourDisciple
Club Player

Would that be Gilbert McAdam?
I'm pretty sure he didn't join the Saints until about 1990

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

TriColourDisciple wrote:Would that be Gilbert McAdam?
It was Greg his brother who wasnt as good but obviously did well on this day.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Well there you go....

I had forgotten that David Grant wore the great #35

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
TriColourDisciple
Club Player

I'm surprised an A.Lockett didn't get a mention. Didn't he start his career in about 83?
I can't remember Minties coming in a box but then, I was never a big fan of them.
I remember those cans though. They had a big silver strip running from top to bottom & you could stand on 'em without them collapsing.
They also made a very distictive sound when an empty was dropped on asphelt/concrete. -Which was often used by the sound effects department on 'Hey Hey it's Saturday'

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

TriColourDisciple wrote:I'm surprised an A.Lockett didn't get a mention. Didn't he start his career in about 83?
I can't remember Minties coming in a box but then, I was never a big fan of them.
I remember those cans though. They had a big silver strip running from top to bottom & you could stand on 'em without them collapsing.
They also made a very distictive sound when an empty was dropped on asphelt/concrete. -Which was often used by the sound effects department on 'Hey Hey it's Saturday'
Funnily enough when I heard a VB can roll down between the seats on Friday, I remarked to someone that it was a sound from the past that you never hear at games any more

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
TriColourDisciple wrote:Would that be Gilbert McAdam?
It was Greg his brother who wasnt as good but obviously did well on this day.
I always thought that Greg was a better player than Gilbert. Unfortunately his career at the Saints was far too short.

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

Interesting start to the year. We were beaten by 100+ points for the first three weeks.

Our percentage hit a low of 27.5 when Carlton beat us by 140 points in Round 2. Greg McAdam was the last player to score all our goals in one match. He kicked both.

Richmond beat us by 111 points in Round 3 and our percentage went up by over 7%.

Round 5 was the classic win on Anzac Day against Fitzroy. We had two players off injured, Lockett had to play in the ruck and Peter Melesso played the last quarter with a broken arm. I've still got that on tape somewhere.

I don't remember much about this game against Geelong except for the double blow of losing the game and misplacing my footy record.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti23 wrote:Interesting start to the year. We were beaten by 100+ points for the first three weeks.

Our percentage hit a low of 27.5 when Carlton beat us by 140 points in Round 2. Greg McAdam was the last player to score all our goals in one match. He kicked both.

Richmond beat us by 111 points in Round 3 and our percentage went up by over 7%.

Round 5 was the classic win on Anzac Day against Fitzroy. We had two players off injured, Lockett had to play in the ruck and Peter Melesso played the last quarter with a broken arm. I've still got that on tape somewhere.

I don't remember much about this game against Geelong except for the double blow of losing the game and misplacing my footy record.
I remember going to the Tigers game - pretty sure it was at the G.....remember being happy that we scored over 100 points, and it wasn't as bad a 100 point flogging as the first two rounds!!

...it's all about relativity!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Selhurst Saint
Club Player

That Richmond game broke me. I sat in the southern stand and cried after the game (rather pathetic for a 21 year old). I also remmber it being close to 40c that day as well.

All in all it was a miserable year. I can't remember losing to Geelong by 3 points, though, I imagine we were all devastated.

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Great find. I love seeing old stuff like that. Always a great read finding old newspapers and the like.

Good to see the 3AW ad for the Big H and Tommy!!

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
Banger2Plugger
Club Player

We had a G Ablett in the centre??????

Any Father Son rule we can capitalise on??

If everyone speeds, why haven't you been overtaken?
SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Banger2Plugger wrote:We had a G Ablett in the centre??????

Any Father Son rule we can capitalise on??
Geoff Ablett. I think Hawthorn would have more claim than us, unfortunately.

He just got elected Mayor somewhere didn't he?

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.