The future is coming...saints are prepared!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

the shadow
Club Player

The future is coming...saints are prepared!

With all of the rule changes the AFL has introduced over the past few years, including those to be trialled in this year's NAB Cup, it seems that Andy and Co. are determined to further open and speed up the game.

The rushed behind rule, where a free will be awarded in the same way one is given for a deliberate out of bounds infringement, is also a further step in attempting to keep the ball "alive" as long as possible. More pressure on already besieged defenders! Given the over the top reaction to Hawthorn's use of this tactic in last year's Grand Final, I think that one's a monty to be introduced for the real stuff, this year or next.

The demise of the "hard tag", long considered something of a blight on the game, seems inevitable. I wouldn't mind betting a few shillings on the fact that the "trial rule", where blocking or holding an opponent in order to prevent them running to the next phase of play by awarding a free kick and 50 metre penalty, will be adopted, if not this year, then certainly in 2010.

This is bad news for the likes of Baker, L. Fisher, McQualter, Jones et. al., who have taken care of these assignments over the past couple of years. These guys need to re-invent themselves in order to survive. Having seen the condition Leigh Fisher and Baker are in, they may well be on the path to reinvention already. If Clinton can improve his foot skills he may well dodge the chop as well. I do fear for mini though. He appears a little more one dimensional than the rest.

On the plus side, if these rules become part of the game it will be great news for the likes of Dal Santo, Montagna, Gram, Ray, X , Milne and Schneider. All of these guys have struggled at some point with taggers and close physical checking. Imagine them running free and pumping the ball forward!

All of this could also see the power forwards dominate even more. With three umpires, tighter enforcement of holding and wrestling rules, hands in the back and the abolition of the backmen's last defence, chopping of the arms in the marking contest, forwards are experiencing a renaissance.

The new rules would further advantage them. Imagine if Plugger in his prime played under today's interpretation of the rules. He would have kicked 200 in a season quite comfortably.

Which brings me to my next point. Are we prepared for the increase of speed and openness? I believe we are. Although our accountable style is still a focus, it needs to be supplemented with a more attacking approach. Just as the Swans somehow won a flag in 2005 with an ordinary side that played an extraordinarily accountable style, as did WCE in 2006, we've been shown the way forward by Geelong and Hawthorn in the past two years. Accountability and attack! I think it was our style, rather than our personnel that was the problem in last year's finals.

The new rules should help Kosi. If he can't kick 50 + a year under the current rules, he never will. Riewoldt will kick bags no matter what, but he'll be the greatest beneficiary of faster delivery from players under less pressure. How he's kicked as many goals he has during the past two years, given the speed and accuracy of the delivery, just underlies what a champion he is.

We've also invested in the future with some good recruiting last year. Lynch, Cahill, Gaertner, McEvoy and Dawson all have the potential to be the sort of forwards that will thrive and more importantly take some pressure off Roo and make us less predictable. Hopefully Allen makes it back as well.

On the running side, everyone knows we need a fair of injection pace and run to make a new style work. Heyne, Smith, Steven, Eljay, and a revitalised X give us hope. Hopefully Choo Choo develops as well.

So there it is. We obviously need some luck with injuries and development, but I think a more exciting style awaits us. It just seems logical with the way we've recruited. What do the rest of you think?

Run like Ditterich, arms flailing, cause fear in the enemy, make fellow saints walk tall!
Solar
Saintsational Legend

I actually think lyon is ahead of the game with his use of 190+ cm running backman. He is trying very hard to not only recruit these type who can shut down a various types of forwards but also cut off forward attacks and rebound quickly. Have a look at gilbert and clarke in last years final against collingwood. You pressure the midfield and use your backline to rebound with speed and candour.

On the forward line, we need to focus more on quick medium height players with god tanks and creative minds. This is why I believe sam fisher is the future of forwards. He reads the play very well, decient speed but uses this reading of the play to find space. Thus he does not need to be able to take contested marks as he will be in enough space.

The rushing behind rule might actually slow the game down as teams would have taken the hawks tactic of space creation on. Now the hawks will have to play the ball from the full back space with all the pressure it makes. Might bring back the short kick to the boundary line as an option.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:I actually think lyon is ahead of the game with his use of 190+ cm running backman. He is trying very hard to not only recruit these type who can shut down a various types of forwards but also cut off forward attacks and rebound quickly. Have a look at gilbert and clarke in last years final against collingwood. You pressure the midfield and use your backline to rebound with speed and candour.

On the forward line, we need to focus more on quick medium height players with god tanks and creative minds. This is why I believe sam fisher is the future of forwards. He reads the play very well, decient speed but uses this reading of the play to find space. Thus he does not need to be able to take contested marks as he will be in enough space.

The rushing behind rule might actually slow the game down as teams would have taken the hawks tactic of space creation on. Now the hawks will have to play the ball from the full back space with all the pressure it makes. Might bring back the short kick to the boundary line as an option.
spot on, the way we use the players in the back half offensively will win us a flag

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:
Solar wrote:I actually think lyon is ahead of the game with his use of 190+ cm running backman. He is trying very hard to not only recruit these type who can shut down a various types of forwards but also cut off forward attacks and rebound quickly. Have a look at gilbert and clarke in last years final against collingwood. You pressure the midfield and use your backline to rebound with speed and candour.

spot on, the way we use the players in the back half offensively will win us a flag
Well, it'll look like that with 30 seconds to go, before some d**khead umpire's deliberate call will steal it from us in time on. Stupid rule.

karnak
Club Player

big believer that Myers Briggs test should be used to determine those forward, back and Mids (along with physical endeavours).

The mind set needed in these areas are very very different, and you see the test show this out.

I am not a pyschologist.

Sam Gilbert you are an EXCITEMENT MACHINE!
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Whoa, Myers Briggs? Outstanding - maybe. Personally, I reckon we need more existentialists (if only to exploit the value of the dummy lead).

The key question so many of our players face is "the ball is here, should I get it". The answer is yes. And, we will, enough times to be involved in the end of year fun romp called the finals - Satre, Kiekegaard (he bit the heads off wippets, no?), Nitzsche et al can all get knotted.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021