Saints record a loss for 2008

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

What was this post about again?

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

remboy wrote:What was this post about again?
According to Caro Wilson in today's Age, the saints are expected to announce a $445,566 loss for the year.

They attribute it to legal battles with Grant Thomas, and Kingston Council.

Also to the Sacking of Aaron Fiora, and extra spend on the football dept.
Read the full article below:

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/n ... 24231.html

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
No1_Saint
Club Player

The problems the club faces are:

*Lack of significant assets
*Historically poor relationship with the City of Kingston resulting in the shift to outer Siberia
*Often wildy fluctuating membership and crowd numbers
*A paupers tenancy agreement with the Telstra Dome with an alleged 34,000 crowd break even point
*No significant non football related revenue streams

These issues were there during Rod's time and they were not sufficiently addressed. IMHO people wanted him out because of his off field dramas constantly bringing the club bad press. Yes...he saved the club from an almost irriversible (spelling?) decline...but towards the end it was stagnating.

The club not only needs significant capital to improve assets and facilities, but to increase revenue streams or we are one or two years of losses away from being a basket case again.

Let's hope this is not the case.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

When we run an operating loss in a time where we are top 4 on the ladder, the time ahead looks bleak.

I honestly think we're in a worse position than Melbourne at the moment.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:Just a couple of things...

barks was banned for 2 weeks....St Fid and SP2008...just because you dont like the guy doesnt give you the right to put your 5c worth in about how long he was away for. Just worry about your own backyard k?

marksnsparks..correct peoples grammer if you must, but the d***hed taunt was out of line and will score you a warning next time
you are so inconsistant with your warnings...i swear at someone at get warned...yet marknsparks??? (by the way this is nothing against mark just proving a point)

no he wasnt banned for two weeks, i can remember clear last week when he posted his anti-jewish claptrap...and it was proven earlier by st fid that barks had gone and come back within 6 days....ummmm....thats 8 day early of a 14 day stint...

care to explain???

im still looking at my backyard and ive come to realise that it is clean...so i don't need to look at it anyone

what a joke, its obvious b4e (whoops...did i refer him to that??? oh yes i did...sorry...) is in with some moderators that make bans and cut them over half way (in this instance)

still looking at my backyard...getting a little sick of it...its pretty clean...

so care to explain???...you ask questions of us, make requests etc etc

are we unable to do of you without being told to clean up said backyard???

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:

barks was banned for 2 weeks....St Fid and SP2008...just because you dont like the guy doesnt give you the right to put your 5c worth in about how long he was away for. Just worry about your own backyard k?

marksnsparks..correct peoples grammer if you must, but the d***hed taunt was out of line and will score you a warning next time
you are so inconsistant with your warnings...i swear at someone at get warned...yet marknsparks??? (by the way this is nothing against mark just proving a point)

no he wasnt banned for two weeks, i can remember clear last week when he posted his anti-jewish claptrap...and it was proven earlier by st fid that barks had gone and come back within 6 days....ummmm....thats 8 day early of a 14 day stint...

care to explain???

im still looking at my backyard and ive come to realise that it is clean...so i don't need to look at it anyone

what a joke, its obvious b4e (whoops...did i refer him to that??? oh yes i did...sorry...) is in with some moderators that make bans and cut them over half way (in this instance)

still looking at my backyard...getting a little sick of it...its pretty clean...

Are you a complete and utter moron, did you even bother to read my earlier post?

I hate repeating myself but here are the FACTS idiot!

I was banned on the 10/1/09
the ban was lifted on the 28/1/09

You do the maths and you'll find that the square is rooted!

Just to make it a bit easier for you simpleton, that equates to 18 days!

Is there any chance that you can stick to the thread topic!

FAIR DINKUM!

Mods, please do something about this dingbat, he has again derailed this thread, even after I'd already posted the information as to when the ban took place and how long it lasted!
Last edited by barks4eva on Sun 08 Feb 2009 12:56pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
saint66au wrote: Just for the record..not that is really any of your concern..Barks was suspended for 2 weeks for his comments...and had served his time and is now free to post again
Sorry Michael but that is CRAP!

b4e posted on Friday Jan the 30th and has now posted today Friday the 6th of Feb...

That's just 6 days.... and NOT TWO WEEKS!

He is a serial pest and I just hate posters referring to b4e as barks

Pathetic IMO
ah barks???

hmmm???

mods he called me a simpleton and an idiot

i suggest he gets warned due to the nature of such remarks

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
saint66au wrote: Just for the record..not that is really any of your concern..Barks was suspended for 2 weeks for his comments...and had served his time and is now free to post again

b4e posted on Friday Jan the 30th and has now posted today Friday the 6th of Feb...

Pathetic IMO
ah barks???

hmmm???

Hey F WIT, the ban lasted for 18 days!

You are a simpleton and an idiot, I'm just calling a spade a spade!

Is there any chance you can stick to the thread topic!

FAIR DINKUM, get a life dingbat!

Mods do something about this d**khead, he has once again derailed the thread with personalized nonsense!

The irony is that the ban lasted for more than two weeks, 18 days in total, not that I give a rat's fat clacker!
Last edited by barks4eva on Sun 08 Feb 2009 1:03pm, edited 1 time in total.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

care to explain???

So..your backyard is clean, yet youve been suspended from the site once already (thats 3 warnings) and are already have another warning for abuse. Oh..but you want some slack cut to you when you abuse another poster?

For the 500th and last time, b4e was banned for over 2 weeks. The dates he quoted were 100% correct. Also for the 500th and last time, its none of your business!!!!

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:

care to explain???

So..your backyard is clean, yet youve been suspended from the site once already (thats 3 warnings) and are already have another warning for abuse. Oh..but you want some slack cut to you when you abuse another poster?

For the 500th and last time, b4e was banned for over 2 weeks. The dates he quoted were 100% correct. Also for the 500th and last time, its none of your business!!!!
so where did st fid get his figures from???

and whats the deal with the sudden ego-power trip??? and no im not the only one to think this either???

somethink tells me you have really taken this whole internet forum law enforcer role a little seriously...

so why wasnt b4e (whoops typed it again) banned for his anti-jewish rantings???

and yes it is my business, i frequent here...and do not expect now should expect such intolerance...of a football club or player yes...but not something like religion...

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:

Pathetic IMO
ah barks???

hmmm???

Hey F WIT, the ban lasted for 18 days!

You are a simpleton and an idiot, I'm just calling a spade a spade!

Is there any chance you can stick to the thread topic!

FAIR DINKUM, get a life dingbat!

Mods do something about this d**khead, he has once again derailed the thread with personalized nonsense!

The irony is that the ban lasted for more than two weeks, 18 days in total, not that I give a rat's fat clacker!
oh and i was called a d**khead again...im offended

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:

care to explain???

and since when did my history or 'backyard' as you put it have anything to do with barks???...this isnt about me

marksnsparks
Club Player

My apologies to Pilgram and the forum.

(Note to self: Don't post after having argument with ex-wife...) :cry:

Legendary
Club Player

Otiman wrote:When we run an operating loss in a time where we are top 4 on the ladder, the time ahead looks bleak.

You're looking at it the wrong way around.

We are top 4 on the ladder because we ran an operating loss ... we ACTUALLY SPENT the money NEEDED to be successful for once in our bloody history.

From this moment on, it's up to the board to find a way to pay for the resources we now have.

Melbourne have $2.5m debt, trading at -$1m operating position, have 25k members and can't win a football match. In addition, their football department is significantly understaffed.

Please don't exaggerate.

We are in a far better position.

Purely and simply, if we went back to the Grant Thomas days of a "one man show", then we would be making $1m profits each year.

But what's the point?

We had too many injuries and player development that was too inadequate to win a premiership.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Yep, we are spending far more on the football department than the previous admin...

If the farkin previous admin spent as much as we are now in the football department, I have no doubt that we would have won a premiership, injuries cost us big time with the previous admin.

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:
Otiman wrote:When we run an operating loss in a time where we are top 4 on the ladder, the time ahead looks bleak.

We are top 4 on the ladder because we ran an operating loss ... we ACTUALLY SPENT the money NEEDED to be successful for once in our bloody history.

From this moment on, it's up to the board to find a way to pay for the resources we now have.

Melbourne have $2.5m debt, trading at -$1m operating position, have 25k members and can't win a football match. In addition, their football department is significantly understaffed.

Please don't exaggerate.

Purely and simply, if we went back to the Grant Thomas days of a "one man show", then we would be making $1m profits each year.

But what's the point?

We had too many injuries and player development that was too inadequate to win a premiership.
Exactly right...

Is the balance sheet available on the website yet

Will it show the increase in Football Dept spending? If so, will go a long way to placating a lot of people Id hope.

Permiership Cups aren't handed out for having cash in the bank. I know its a while ago, but North hardly had 2 razoos to rub together during their time as a power club in the 90's

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

has been since Wednesday when notification of the AGM came out.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Solar
Saintsational Legend

huh? we have an improving major sponsorship, they have no major sponorship....

at least compare apples with apples!

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:
Legendary wrote:

Please don't exaggerate.

But what's the point?

Exactly right...

Will it show the increase in Football Dept spending? If so, will go a long way to placating a lot of people Id hope.

Permiership Cups aren't handed out for having cash in the bank. I know its a while ago, but North hardly had 2 razoos to rub together during their time as a power club in the 90's
Yes and no, but see your point.

We all knew that footy dept spending would be up a lot....so no arguments i don't think from anyone on that....please feel free for anyone to argue against extra spending on the footy dept!

The big issue is revenue, or lack of IMO.....perhaps Jeld Wen will save us, but if that falls over early due to the recession, we could be farked completely, due to a lack of smaller-tier sponsors and other ancillary revenue.

The new board promised extra revenue streams, has delivered JW, but what else of significance, over and above (dollar wise) what RB delivered?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
rogerwa
SS Hall of Fame

melbourne have something we nor any other vic club has....a name

as long as the game is played, be it 100 or 1000 yrs on a national or international level there will be a licence called melb just as there is a syd,bris,adel,frem,g/coast

the club/licence will not be in its current form however its name & flags will continue forever

will our name & flag be in existance in 100 yrs in a national comp..no bloody way

the longer we wait the more pain without gain is heading our way

only have to look at the figures....the squares are rooted

lets move on

FAIR DINKUM

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

rogerwa wrote:melbourne have something we nor any other vic club has....a name

as long as the game is played, be it 100 or 1000 yrs on a national or international level there will be a licence called melb just as there is a syd,bris,adel,frem,g/coast

the club/licence will not be in its current form however its name & flags will continue forever

will our name & flag be in existance in 100 yrs in a national comp..no bloody way

lets move on

FAIR DINKUM
Lets just hand in our licence then. By the way i hate soccer but the premier league doesnt have side called London does it. Perth doesnt have a side either. Who knows what will happen in the future, just look at alll those lives lost in the fires, but to give up is stupid.

Pilgram
Club Player

marksnsparks wrote:
Pilgram wrote:
Caroline Wilson wrote:The windows and doors group was one of several key AFL club sponsors that expressed some misgivings over plans to recruit Ben Cousins.
should read:
The windows and doors group were one of several key AFL club sponsors that expressed some misgivings over plans to recruit Ben Cousins.
Au contraire d**khead. Jeld Wen group is a single entity, so singular was.
whilst Jeld Wen may be a single group they are and were one of several key AFL club sponsors within the context of the sentence.

apology accepted.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
rogerwa wrote:melbourne have something we nor any other vic club has....a name

lets move on

FAIR DINKUM
Lets just hand in our licence then. By the way i hate soccer but the premier league doesnt have side called London does it. Perth doesnt have a side either. Who knows what will happen in the future, just look at alll those lives lost in the fires, but to give up is stupid.
What he said.

Bah Humbug! What a bunch of Chicken Little's some people are.

So now we made a loss despite playing finals?? Did it ever occur that the club expected to play finals and planned accordingly?

Much like the current economic debate... the club has invested in areas that will improve our on field performance. Once that happens.. you get more attendances, more members... more sponsors.

Seriously, get a grip.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
HarveysDeciple

care to explain???

st.fid's posts were from after the ban, he was banned for 18 days, then came back, posted it again and was warned....

that clear up those dates for you?

In the mean time, pull your head in and stop stirring up crap.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

HarveysDeciple wrote:

care to explain???

st.fid's posts were from after the ban, he was banned for 18 days, then came back, posted it again and was warned....

that clear up those dates for you?

In the mean time, pull your head in and stop stirring up crap.
Whilst we all show a propenstiy to say dumb things at times... what gets annoying is the boring, repetitive, cut'n'past crap that we are subjected to.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.