Best Team that Harvey played with

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

Best Team that Harvey played with

Not sure if this has been done but thought about the all the players Harvey played with over 21 seasons and put together a best team .Obviously he is not in there.

B: Shanahan, Frawley, Hudghton
HB: Grant, D Wakelin, Barker
C: A Jones, Winmar ,McAdam
HF: Reiwoldt, Loewe, Hamill
FF: Gerhig, Lockett, Milne
Foll: Everitt, Thompson, Burke
Int: Peckett, Ball, Vidovic, Baker

Emerg: S Fisher, Cunningham, Voss

Tough to pick CHB: Morris unlucky, Maguire not played enough, With that line up plenty of ability to manipulate matchups

Back Up Ruck: Kosi - not played enough, Harding solid but Vidovic consistant in both 1991 and 1997 season as a great grunt ruckman.

jays
Club Player

dont think wakelin should be there

Solar
Saintsational Legend

great forward line

the CHB was always a pain... the only reason I would tip wakelin in was his role on carey in the 97 prelim. Morris was steady but not brilliant.

Look at that centre line! Who said we didn't hae speed and skill!!!

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
milney044
Club Player

Hayes instead of Baker and it's looking pretty decent.

Destiny. It's in our hands.

Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

milney044 wrote:Hayes instead of Baker and it's looking pretty decent.
beat me to it.

Hayes would have to get a gig IMO

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
BallBanger
Club Player

Too many players who were/are consistantly towelled up by quality opponent.
McAdam was a very good player but not as talented and twice as lazy as Dal and Dal gets tagged for obvious reasons.
Vidovic = dud
I'm surprised Troy, Begley,Wulf, Gwilt have been left out

older saint
SS Life Member

Missing Hayes - shame on Me. Defintely in for Ball . Baker more consistant over the journey so far.

McAdam performmed in Big games - Dal yet to do that

D Wakelin - always performed in big games also- 97 prelim and GF and Port GF

BallBanger
Club Player

older saint wrote:Missing Hayes - shame on Me. Defintely in for Ball . Baker more consistant over the journey so far.

You judge Dal heavier than Milne when it comes to that (big games) and other than Collingwood what other big game did McAdam star in?

I know Brisbane were disappointed in his performances...had a lot of talent though but not a hard worker.

older saint
SS Life Member

BallBanger wrote:
older saint wrote:Missing Hayes - shame on Me. Defintely in for Ball . Baker more consistant over the journey so far.

You judge Dal heavier than Milne when it comes to that (big games) and other than Collingwood what other big game did McAdam star in?

I know Brisbane were disappointed in his performances...had a lot of talent though but not a hard worker.
Dal and Milne are very different positions, Dal has had 1 goal kikcing game v Melb at the G, is not a forward.

McAdam played very well in the final v Geelong 1991 and if you watch the Bris final v Carlton 1995 (i think) also good there and leading up to that final series.

Dal may end up being a better player but long way to go , cannot break a tag and goes missing often( hoefully all of which will change this season!)

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Victoria... The big V.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

WayneJudson42 wrote:Victoria... The big V.
Beat me to it. Probably the side that played in 95 with Lockett and Ablett.

BallBanger
Club Player

older saint wrote:
BallBanger wrote:

Dal and Milne are very different positions, Dal has had 1 goal kikcing game v Melb at the G, is not a forward.

McAdam played very well in the final v Geelong 1991 and if you watch the Bris final v Carlton 1995 (i think) also good there and leading up to that final series.

Dal may end up being a better player but long way to go , cannot break a tag and goes missing often( hoefully all of which will change this season!)
I'm not trying to replace Milne with Dal, just highlighting your quote "McAdam performmed in Big games - Dal yet to do that"..Milne has never performed in big games.
And while your on that Geelong game Vidovic lost us the game..he took one of his rare marks with not much time left 1 point down men running everywhere almost certain goal if he got it on quick but what did he do? he did what he did best, turned around and hit his opponent had the ball taken off him. They then took the ball down and kicked a goal. Game over....poor mans wow jones

Why do the opposition put their best tagger on Dal?

Surely you would not have wakelin in before Fisher or even Elphinstone..

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

The Fly would be close to a slot in that side somewhere IMO

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Not to be a smartass but u left Harvey out of his own team... he'd take Thompson's spot

Hayes for Baker

Sam Fisher for Shanahan

Dal in for McAdam

That forward line is bloody tall but geez who do you leave out

check out that HF line

ace
Saintsational Legend

McAdam was great once the ball hit the ground but he could not even compete with the ball above the shoulders.
He could not take an overhead mark or spoil overhead.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
ctqs
Club Player

McAdam ahead of Dal.
I always rated Russell Morris because I reckon the second-best CHF in that time (behind Buckets) was Kernahan, and Morris always did a good job on him. I'd have him in at CHB, and Lenny in there too, but otherwise a great effort.

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
older saint
SS Life Member

BallBanger wrote:
older saint wrote:
BallBanger wrote:

I'm not trying to replace Milne with Dal, just highlighting your quote "McAdam performmed in Big games - Dal yet to do that"..Milne has never performed in big games.
And while your on that Geelong game Vidovic lost us the game..he took one of his rare marks with not much time left 1 point down men running everywhere almost certain goal if he got it on quick but what did he do? he did what he did best, turned around and hit his opponent had the ball taken off him. They then took the ball down and kicked a goal. Game over....poor mans wow jones

Why do the opposition put their best tagger on Dal?

Surely you would not have wakelin in before Fisher or even Elphinstone..
I still have nightmares about Vidovic. that said he is better than the other options for back up ruckman/ grunt ruckman- Harding/ Kosi/ WoW/ Flannigan/Bingham/ Capuanno

Milne like many small forwards goes missing in big games, but better than other options - O'Brien ( close) , mitchell, Krakour,

CHB toughest spot Eel or Wakelin , went for Wakelin as saw more of him and probably better record against top CHF, although team could also affect that. Morris close too but struggled to contain big CHF and also that hand keeping the sun out of the eyes at Waverley couldn't take to that.

Dal frustrates the hell out of me because he has more talent than probably anyone, hence why he gets tagged, but also does not work hard enough to beat a tag, hence why he gets tagged it becomes 17 on 18. I hope he improves that this year and goes tot he next level as we need him but the same thing has happened for 2 years now . Even Montagna who has less talent has learnt how to beat taggers.

Harvey was not in thei team Skeptic as he never played with himself ( pardon the pun)!

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

older saint wrote:Dal frustrates the hell out of me because he has more talent than probably anyone, hence why he gets tagged, but also does not work hard enough to beat a tag, hence why he gets tagged it becomes 17 on 18. I hope he improves that this year and goes tot he next level as we need him but the same thing has happened for 2 years now . Even Montagna who has less talent has learnt how to beat taggers.
he's a superbly skilled and talented player, but perhaps he doesn't have the aerobic capacity or "tank" to be a gut-running midfielder and burn off the best taggers in the game every week.

not everyone can run all day like harvey or riewoldt. you can work on it to an extent, but largely you're stuck with what you are born with.

i'd like to see him used in a different role this season, either loose across half back or as a creative half forward (my preference).

back to the OP, i'd have found a spot for dal, probably at the expense of mcadam.

the forward line is awesome and probably the strongest marking ever assembled.

it's tall, yes, but is so talented that there'd be very few crumbs for milney to swoop on.

one of gehrig, riewoldt or loewe would get the opposition's fourth best tall defender. hamill would get their fifth best.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Look at the facts....and not faint memories.....everyone knows that over the years that legends grow and players become better.....

For instance

Vidovic played a lot more reserves games that senior....how could he make it??? he played 90 games in 10 seasons

Sam Fisher is a B&F winner, and 3rd twice....some of the others mentioned have yet to have a top ten...

Dal Santo has had 3 times the impact than McCadam....in about three times more games...McCadam only played 50 games in a three year period.....never had a top 5 B&F finish....and NO honours (even though he played some handy footy)...........Dal has played 150 games in 7 seasons....All Aust honurs....4 times in the B&F top 5.....3rd in a Brownlow.......Big games----I think someone needs to look at all of Dal's Finals stats and watch the 2005 QF vs Adel or 2008 vs Coll....and revisit the theory that he hasen't played well in a final....silly assumption....and short memory (McCadam played in 3 finals, Dal has played in 10)....His second half vs Hawthorn in r16 2008 is better than Gilbert ever produced at StK...better than many have

I would think that the side picks itself....look at decorated players...they get those accolades for a reason...

Falchoon
Club Player

2 very good players who were probably better elsewhere would make the team, Barry Hall and Adrian Fletcher.