Unhealthy reliance on Riewoldt

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

PJ
SS Life Member

Opposition sides are more than happy to put two or three players on Roo and know that they can do so safely.
This my whole gripe. I know Ross likes to put a loose man in defence so that leaves one of their defenders free to double up on Riewoldt but surely we must be able to use this better.

Who ever goes into the forward line whether they are kicking goals or not they have to make their presence felt. Hammer used to just throw a few bodies around poleaxe the odd guy and bob's your uncle, instant recognition - everyone new he was there and most were looking over their shoulder.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote:
WayneJudson42 wrote:If Gwilt can play every game with the same intensity as he did against Port, then he'd be ideal. Throw in 30 goals, and even better.

It's also why I'd like to see Gilbo up fwd coz had has a good "don't argue" in him.
as i said in another recent thread, though i like gwilt as a player i'm not sold on him as a forward.

he played quite a few matches forward in 2008 for very little impact on the scoreboard ... three goals i think it was.

so if he's to play there i'd like to see much more in the way of goals.

same goes for eddy.

in fact gwilt, allen and eddy, three of our forwards in september 2008, kicked just 11 goals between last season.
Fair call. We'll have to see if he does develop further in the role.

Allen is injured, so he'll have to wait. Eddy? Should not be in the team IMO.

Let's go back to who's returning...

Baker for Mini
Ray for Harvey
? for Dempster
X for ?
? for Eddy
Goose for ?

Oh but to be a fly on the wall in the footy department. The suspense is killing even an old codger like me. :lol:

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
PJ
SS Life Member

Back to the OP - if we do have a reliance on NR does this suggest

1/something lacking about our leadership?

or

2/quality of players on the park?

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

PJ wrote:Back to the OP - if we do have a reliance on NR does this suggest

1/something lacking about our leadership?

or

2/quality of players on the park?
3/ certain players playing in the wrong position because of 2. :D

Have enjoyed the discussion with you and Big C btw.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
PJ
SS Life Member

3/ certain players playing in the wrong position because of 2.
Agree with this completely but you've gotta admit we need a few more to make themselves more noticable on the park.

Quality (in terms of skill) of a player can sometimes be less than brilliant if they compete, put their body in and make a nuisance of themselves.

It always amazes me that so many cats get all australian. Yes Ablett, yes Bartel, Selwood but some of the others are just plodders that do the team thing really well. They look good because of the team and playing their part.

There's your argument - do you need to be outstanding in terms of skill or just able to do the job? We've had teams of superstars in the past that couldn't get the job done.

And yes likewise .... enjoying the rave.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

sunsaint wrote:hmmm, successful teams need a competitive HF + FF combo.
WE were never more formidable when Lockett and Loewe were firing or Roo and Gehrig were kicking 12+ between them.
And I would argue that Lloyd has Lucas, Richo has Brown. The pussies combine Johnson and Mooney, Hawks Fanklin and Roughead, pretty tough forwardlines to combat.
As for carlton and Fev, yes he kicked a lone hand 99, but the team as a whole kicked 20 less goals than us last year, so their ability to score is pretty good.
Agree with this. Call it a reliance problem, call it a structure problem... who's at fault? The team? The coach? It's a hole they couldn't work out how to plug.
The trouble is StKilda has never had goal kicking on-ballers, everyone knows that to stop us kicking goals, just double team Roo.

So where will the change come from, Kosi becoming a FF, a sudden change in the ability of the current stock or the '08/09 kids?
Kosi's been "becoming" a FF his entire bloody career... seemed at his most effective last year when he was ruck/roaming HF. One time he booted it up the field to (Monty?) who booted it forward to... Kosi! It was like there were two of him on the field. Wish I'd had it on video to see how he did that. Must have sprinted like hell.

Current stock... need to become goal kicking on-ballers. Fingers crossed for BJ and Chips.

The kids - if Heyne and Cahill are as ready as they appear, things could be very interesting.
WayneJudson42 wrote:It's also why I'd like to see Gilbo up fwd coz had has a good "don't argue" in him.
Might just be in the works, going on today's training report.

http://www.saints.com.au/tabid/5315/Def ... wsid=71403
Longwayfromhome wrote:Joey has stated in his recent interview that there are at least three draft choices who have bodies ready for AFL footy. Get them in the side and give em a go. Draft selections ooze forward capabilities. We need them now, not in two or three years time.
That would be Heyne, Cahill, and Smith. Smith's a midfielder. Lynch will surely have all eyes on him in the NAB Cup too.

Megamaguire
Club Player

Ready for the next level

Longwayhome said "Fisher, Goddard, Joey, Gram and Dal Santo should be all aiming for the big sticks once inside fifty" and Solar said St. Kilda need more from the half forward and midfield positions. By more we need more goals. I'd rather see the likes of Dal Santo ; Montagna and Bjif he's in there regularly launch the sherrin at the big sticks. If they don't keep practicing this i cant see us improving on the scoreboard.
We are too one dimensional in aiming towards Roo most of the time.
I still feel very fortunate to have Roo's leadership and heart in our current playing list. However other lights especially across the half forward line and bursting through the midfield need to emerge. We are yet to replace the special energy Hamill brought to our forward line but we need to do the equivilant soon if we are to keep up with the hawks and the cats and even the doggies to name 3 victorian teams alone .

G O S A I N T S !

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Reiwoldt is a champion of the game, wouldn't matter who he played for the term "Unhealthy reliance on Reiwoldt" would be bandied around.
He does so much simply because he can.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

intersting thread, heres your answer...

Take reiwoldt out and give him to the bulldogs. Then see what you think.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote:intersting thread, heres your answer...

could have just said ditto to my post but I like your slant. :)

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote:intersting thread, heres your answer...

brad johnson becomes average due to noone passing him the football

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:Reiwoldt is a champion of the game, wouldn't matter who he played for the term "Unhealthy reliance on Reiwoldt" would be bandied around.
i don't think anyone is denying that, but imagine how much better he'd be and we'd be as a team if he had the sort of help that buddy franklin gets at hawthorn ... the sort of help he used to give to and receive from gehrig and hamill.

Longwayfromhome
Club Player

Reiwoldt is a champion and probably the best player in the competition.
No, I'm wrong. He is the best player in the competition. We as St Kilda folk expect far too much from him. We surround him with very average support and expect the world. Get the mix right and the captain will get his wish of a St Kilda flag.

Leave your ego's in the locker when you start and pick them up again when you retire
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
The Fireman wrote:Reiwoldt is a champion of the game, wouldn't matter who he played for the term "Unhealthy reliance on Reiwoldt" would be bandied around.
i don't think anyone is denying that, but imagine how much better he'd be and we'd be as a team if he had the sort of help that buddy franklin gets at hawthorn ... the sort of help he used to give to and receive from gehrig and hamill.
04-06 he wasnt the main man, we were high up the ladder due to both him and gehrig kicking bags plus hammer etc etc

now he is, in the years mentioned he never was really relied upon due to our talent up forward

now with those two gone he is the main man and rightly so, he was always going to be

now its up for a few of his buddies to kick a decent total collectively (barring yapper of course)

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
PJ
SS Life Member

We as St Kilda folk expect far too much from him.
Actually I think it's the other way round, he puts a lot of pressure on himself, that's why he's so good.

As supporters we just stand there smiling thinking "thank christ he's a saint".

[/quote]We surround him with very average support and expect the world.

I think he's in good company but yes others could raise the bar.

The ones expecting the world are usually the ones with the knives out when he misses a goal or has a quiet night. But then again I don't expect much else from them.

Riewoldt put simply can....and does.

What the saints need to do is focus on other clubs unhealthy reliance on targeting him and make them pay.

lefty
Club Player

We definately rely on Roo too much.

He's our CHF go to man, there is NO one else, and its been so predictable.

There needs to be another target around CHF also.

Kozi I assume will be FF, but he's been pretty average at it.

04 we had Guerra do it, along with Roo, Kozi sometimes, Hamil, so we had targets. Now....?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

lefty wrote:We definately rely on Roo too much.

04 we had Guerra do it, along with Roo, Kozi sometimes, Hamil, so we had targets. Now....?
Guerra do what in 2004. Must be hitting guys because it wasnt being a target.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
lefty wrote:04 we had Guerra do it, along with Roo, Kozi sometimes, Hamil, so we had targets. Now....?
he wasn't a marking target but he kicked 30-odd goals from memory.
Last edited by bigcarl on Sat 24 Jan 2009 12:58am, edited 1 time in total.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
lefty wrote:We definately rely on Roo too much.

he wasn't a marking target but he kicked 30-odd goals from memory.
Bring back the Goo! Play hin in the FWD pocket next to Max.