YOUR DREAM TEAM top 22 for 2009. If maguire etc. were 100%

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:unless they're setting up the play there's no point in having forwards.
it's a chicken and egg argument.

is there any point them setting up the play if there is just riewoldt and three opposition players waiting on the end of it?

we need to strike a balance between having a good midfield and backline and having a structurally functional forward line that doesn't rely on just the one marking target.

i think it is important that the forward line is as well resourced as the backline.

for instance, we went into finals last year with guys like gwilt, eddy and allen (who kicked 11 goals between them for the season) as forwards. and we expect to outscore hawthorn and geelong! go figure.

all have shown promise, it's true, but all would have been hard pressed to crack a spot on the 2008 backline.
Last edited by bigcarl on Wed 21 Jan 2009 10:21am, edited 2 times in total.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Agree Big Carl. We need to make defenders accountable.

Opp players know that Roo commands the ball, hence they are happy to leave their players to swamp him.

So if you have genuine fwd options, you stretch the opp backline. If we have an extra 1 or 2 genuine options who can do damage on the scoreboard, then you'll win more than you lose.

Not since the days of G, Roo and Hamill have we had this luxury.

Bottom line is that we still haven't replaced a 70+ goal FF in Gtrain.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:Not since the days of G, Roo and Hamill have we had this luxury.

Bottom line is that we still haven't replaced a 70+ goal FF in Gtrain.
agree. the lack of firepower has really hurt us. looking back on it, hamill's chronic injuries may well have cost us a premiership.

he took so much pressure off riewoldt and gehrig and the opposition just couldn't afford to concentrate all its resources on those two.

Saints94
SS Life Member

Why don't we just get back to the teams :roll:

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

homework wrote:Why don't we just get back to the teams :roll:
there's no going back homie. :( all we can do is try to find something similarly potent with what we now have available.

easier said than done, i know, because coleman medallists and tough forwards like hamill don't grow on trees.

PJ
SS Life Member

hamill's chronic injuries may well have cost us a premiership
Not to mention what Gehrig's problems cost us last year.

I guess that's the cost of high impact footy.

Lets just hope we don't put all our eggs into one basket for them to go down in Rd 1 or 2.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.