YOUR DREAM TEAM top 22 for 2009. If maguire etc. were 100%

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CaptainRiewoldt
Club Player

YOUR DREAM TEAM top 22 for 2009. If maguire etc. were 100%

MY DREAM TEAM for 2009

Baker Max Blake
Dal Santo Maguire R.Clarke
Goddard Hayes Gram
X. Clarke Riewoldt Schnieder
Milne S.Fisher Koschitzke (resting ruckman)

King Ball Montagna

Armitage Jones Eddy (tough fast midfeilders) Gilbert (spare backman)

INS: Maguire, Baker, Xavier, Ball

STRONGER BACKLINE
MORE SPEED AND SKILL IN THE MIDFIELD.
MORE ACCURACY UP FORWARD

A better team than the preliminary team against hawthorn. Injury free this team can easily go all the way in 2009. King hayes, ball and Montagna in the centre??? WOW!

Koschitzke needs to ruck he loves it. He cant kick from a mark or lead as good as most Full Forwards. Get him into the action.

Dal Santo is best at half back as the quarter back setting up the plays with perfect accuracy.

Gram and Goddard into midfield roles is just awesome.

Xavier dont forget how good he is. Back from injury will be top 18 easily.

Maguire, if he can hold down CHB, then Sammy fisher with his brilliant kicking for goal NEEDS TO GO FORWARD. He is smart footballer and WE need MORE accuracy up forward!! But thats a big IF i know.

Batnoe

It depends on what you mean fully fit, do u mean assuming they come back to their best? or just fit enough to play? in all honesty i dont think Maguire will get back to his best but he will be fit and Baker is now 29, he is near the twilight of his career.

MY DREAM TEAM for 2009

Begley Max Blake
Ray Maguire R.Clarke
Goddard Hayes Gram
Dal Santo Riewoldt S Fisher
Milne Kosi Shneider
King Ball Montagna

INT- X man, Gilbert, Jones, Baker

Dal Santo defensive pressure of late has been horrible, i wouldnt play him on the back flank but maybe his evasive skills can be used on the forward flank, i think playing Sam Fisher as the 3rd tall that runs up onto wing could be damagaing

People really forget how good Ray could be and especially at the Saints, will play 22 games for the saints this year

CaptainRiewoldt
Club Player

I like that team too.

baker twilight at 29??? geez i wouldve thought 2 or 3 good years ahead.

Ray?? yeah hopefully he can be good.

I just loved the way dal santo played against collingwood in the final that was half back??? he controlled that area brilliantly.

goodie
Club Player

FB: Baker Hudghton S. Fisher
HB: Ray Maguire Begley
C: Montagna Ball Gram
HF: X. Clarke Riewoldt Goddard
FF: Milne Koschitzke Schneider

R: King Hayes Dal Santo

Inter: Blake Gilbert M. Gardiner Armitage

Emg: Jones R. Clarke Gwilt

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Good to see that Dempster is no longer in our best 22.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

B: Gilbert, Hudghton, R.Clarke
HB: Gram, Maguire, S.Fisher
C: Dal Santo, Hayes, Montagna
HF: Lynch, Riewoldt, Armitage
F: Milne, Koschitzke, Schneider

Foll: King, Ball, Goddard
Int: Blake, Baker, X.Clarke, Ray

Emg: Dempster, Gardiner, Begley

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

WayneJudson42 wrote:Good to see that Dempster is no longer in our best 22.
i thought he was starting to show quite a bit when he went down with the injury..

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

B : S.Dempster - M.Hudghton - S.Gilbert
HB : S.Fisher - M.Maguire - J.Gram
C : B.Goddard - L.Ball - L.Montagna
HF : F.Ray - N.Riewoldt - N.Dal Santo
F : A.Schneider - J.Koschitzke - S.Milne
R : M.Gardiner - L.Hayes - S.Baker
I : S.King - J.Blake - R.Clarke - D.Armitage

E : X.Clarke - R.Eddy - C.Jones

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

fonz_#15 wrote:
WayneJudson42 wrote:Good to see that Dempster is no longer in our best 22.
i thought he was starting to show quite a bit when he went down with the injury..
agree. I reckon he was doing ok, and RL will have him in the 22.

I'm also surpirsed that people stil have Kosi as walk up FF, despite showing little.

If we're talking dream team, and everyone is fit and in peak form...

B : S.Dempster - M.Hudghton - J.Blake
HB : S.Fisher - M.Maguire - F.Ray
C : B.Goddard - L.Ball - J.Gram
HF : R,Clarke - J. Kosi - S. Gilbert
F : A.Schneider - N.Riewoldt - S.Milne
R : M.Gardiner - L.Hayes - N.Dal Santo
I : Montagna- - X.Clarke - Baker - ???? CJ?

I'd love to see JK at CHF as he'd be a good crash and bash who can marke and make a contest for the smaller fwd's.

Roo is the only genuine FF we have. In a prfect world, King shouldn't get a game, but if MG doesn't shape up, then King for 1st ruck.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
jays
Club Player

hopeing ray is good for us this year

Quixote
SS Life Member

With everyone fit and up and about, here's my go:

B: Baker Max Dempster
HB: R. Clarke Goose S Fisher
C: Dal Santo Ball Gram
HF: X Clarke Roo Kosi
F: Milne Lynch Schneider

R: King Hayes Godddard
Int: Blake Montagna Armitage Gilbert

Emg: Jones Ray Gardiner

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:B: S.Dempster - M.Hudghton - J.Blake
HB : S.Fisher - M.Maguire - F.Ray
C : B.Goddard - L.Ball - J.Gram
HF : R,Clarke - J. Kosi - S. Gilbert
F : A.Schneider - N.Riewoldt - S.Milne
R : M.Gardiner - L.Hayes - N.Dal Santo
I : Montagna- - X.Clarke - Baker - ???? CJ?
not bad. don't mind that, particulary the tall, mobile half forward line with plenty of marking power and a full forward line that promises lots of goals.

who would be second ruck if kosi is asked to hold down chf? blake, i presume as i'm not sure that we can afford to play both gardiner and king.

only other thing i'd say is that the backline looks a little slow and i'd probably swap blake and baker.

quite like CaptainRiewoldt's line-up, too, which finds a different solution to the same forward structure problem.
CaptainReiwoldt wrote:Baker Max Blake
Dal Santo Maguire R.Clarke
Goddard Hayes Gram
X. Clarke Riewoldt Schnieder
Milne S.Fisher Koschitzke (resting ruckman)

King Ball Montagna[/b]

Armitage Jones Eddy (tough fast midfeilders) Gilbert (spare backman)
what both teams have in common is that they add some quality resources to a forward line that has been too one-dimensional for too long. we cannot afford to be relying on roo to play a blinder every week to kick a winning score.

goodie
Club Player

WayneJudson42 wrote:In a prfect world, King shouldn't get a game, but if MG doesn't shape up, then King for 1st ruck.
What've you got against King?

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

My effort...
B... Baker Hudgson Blake
HB... Ray Maguire Gram
C.... Dal Santo Hayes X. Clarke
HF... S. Fisher Kosi Montagna
FF... Milne Riewoldt R.Clarke
Rk..... King Goddard Ball

I/C. Gilbert.. Armitage.. Eddy.. Gardiner.

Emerg.. Gwilt. L. Fisher. Lynch.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

goodie wrote:
WayneJudson42 wrote:In a prfect world, King shouldn't get a game, but if MG doesn't shape up, then King for 1st ruck.
Nothing really. Nothing against anyyone. IMO, in a perfect world means that players who haven't performed to their max would improve.

So for King not to play, MG would have become a regular player. Not sure if this explains properly.

ATM, King is our #1 ruckman, and so he should be. But if MG can cement his spot over king, it means he's become a better player.

You might sneak both King and MG in the same side, with either playing off the bench. My line up contains numerous options to rotate thru the middle... especially flankers.

Maybe even Blake could play 2nd ruck off the bench???

Not sure TBH.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

goodie wrote:
Agreed Not only is King a better ruckman he is is quicker than MG, but in '09 I would think if McEvoy isnt forcing his way into the side then he/we may be in trouble.
For those who have Ray lining up in the backline havent seen his games at the dogs, he is not big and tough enough to cover a back role. Keep him forward of the center. Demspter must come back, easily a better backman on the HBF.

I dont want to name positions, if I read it right, we seem to be moving towards a side where a half back can do some game time at half forward, vice versa, with the core spine, being Max, Maguire/Fisher, Hayes, Roo, & Kosi.
But but but, in '09 I want to see NDS in the forward line.

Seeya
BallBanger
Club Player

sunsaint wrote:
goodie wrote:
Agreed Not only is King a better ruckman he is is quicker than MG, but in '09 I would think if McEvoy isnt forcing his way into the side then he/we may be in trouble.
King quicker than gardiner??
gardiner is quick for a ruckman King is extremely slow
King is a better kick
Gardiner has better hand/eye coordination
Gardiner has better leap/tapouts
King has less breakdowns

Overall if gardiner played near his best he would improve our chances bigtime.
If king is our main man we have someone who can just hold his own against most.

PJ
SS Life Member

Slightly different format - this is the way I see it with positions allocated for match ups

Backs: Maxy, R. Clarke, Dempster, Blake, Ray & Maguire - (Bench backup - Baker)

Talls, shorts, speed, accountability, run

Midfield (including centre line): Gardner, Hayes, Ball, L Fisher, Montagna, Goddard - (Bench backup - Armitage, Steven)
Gardner to rotate with Kosi in forward line.

Hard, Hard & more f*cking Hard - with a little pace to burn

Forward pack: Riewoldt, Kosi, Milne, Dal Santo, Sneids, X -factor

Guns, Guns & more f*cking Guns (plus that height, speed & unpredictability)

Final Bench guy - S Gilbert (can go almost everywhere)

Would really love to squeeze "the Lynch pin" in here but that's the uknown to a large degree - form will dictate.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

For Lynch to play this year... he's either real good, or we're going shyte.

Not sure how you can name an untried player in your best 22.

Unless Gilo is being blooded as a permanent defender, I'd like to see him up fwd.

PJ
SS Life Member

I understand you question WJ - Lynchy is more of a a punt at someone that can add something to our weakest area. I actually haven't got him in the 22 just an add on at the end - as I said it's unknown but i feel it would be good to produce one out of the blue - perhaps essential.

I've got Steven in there and he's relatively untried but i think we've seen enough to know this guy has grunt. Doesn't mind ferreting in at the bottom of the pack.

As I've said a really think we have to find a couple this year.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

PJ wrote:I understand you question WJ - Lynchy is more of a a punt at someone that can add something to our weakest area. I actually haven't got him in the 22 just an add on at the end - as I said it's unknown but i feel it would be good to produce one out of the blue - perhaps essential.

I've got Steven in there and he's relatively untried but i think we've seen enough to know this guy has grunt. Doesn't mind ferreting in at the bottom of the pack.

As I've said a really think we have to find a couple this year.
Understand. I guess the best part is that 28 doesn't go into 22, which means that competition should be firece for a spot.

It should also mean that some players who were guaranteed a spot last year may not play.

Given we've had the main core for the last 5 years, hopefully we'll see a different look in 2009?

We need new blood, but who makes way?

Coming in, we'll have Baker, X, L Fisher, and Ray. Plus the younger players like Steven and Armo.

Possible outs??

Gwilt
Eddy
CJ
Armo
Mini

Question marks:

Schneider
Armo
Joey
Geary

PJ
SS Life Member

Agree with the idea that not all can get a gig. Look at Geelong they had Prismall & Hawkins that couldn't regularly break into the main 22.

We've had a few fringies that either need to step up or stand aside.

Mini, Eddy, CJ & Geary are at present not best 22 - not to say that they won't but they've still got a fair way to go.

Gwilt is an odd one for me. Someone made the comment that he leads into the wrong places. I'm wondering whether it's that or are people ignoring him? He's not a dominating personality - he doesn't demand the ball. He needs to get a lot more aggression into his play - if that is possible for him.

I think with Birss and Harves gone it's obvious Armo & Steven are going to get game time. I wouldn't be surprised if Ross has been waiting to do this and that and through the drafting time this was in the back of his head. If we had gone for BC this would have put that off indefinately.

Barring injuries there is definately going to be pressure for spots next season and i think with the game style there are a lot more that are evenly placed.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

PJ wrote:Agree with the idea that not all can get a gig. Look at Geelong they had Prismall & Hawkins that couldn't regularly break into the main 22.

We've had a few fringies that either need to step up or stand aside.

Mini, Eddy, CJ & Geary are at present not best 22 - not to say that they won't but they've still got a fair way to go.

Gwilt is an odd one for me. Someone made the comment that he leads into the wrong places. I'm wondering whether it's that or are people ignoring him? He's not a dominating personality - he doesn't demand the ball. He needs to get a lot more aggression into his play - if that is possible for him.

I think with Birss and Harves gone it's obvious Armo & Steven are going to get game time. I wouldn't be surprised if Ross has been waiting to do this and that and through the drafting time this was in the back of his head. If we had gone for BC this would have put that off indefinately.

Barring injuries there is definately going to be pressure for spots next season and i think with the game style there are a lot more that are evenly placed.
Jimmy's one of those guys that you just wanna see succeed. Hopefully he retain his spot up fwd and be allowed to develop. Prefer him to Eddy.

Who knows, we might see some of the past "boom" picks fade out entirely... due to emergance of new blood. No more waiting to fulfill their "promise".

Armo worries me. Could be the next Mini. Big year for him.

PJ
SS Life Member

Armo is or was obviously not doing what is asked of him - he kept getting dropped. I mean ... yes getting the ball is good but it surprised me some of the times he was omitted because he seemed to be scoring regularly.

Going back to NAB last year both Armo & Steven impressed but neither did much damage during the regular season. Hard arsed workhorses seemed to be the go - CJ, Eddy etc. I understand why they were picked but did it do the job on the big day, don't think so ... oh well bring on 09.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:For Lynch to play this year... he's either real good, or we're going shyte.

Not sure how you can name an untried player in your best 22.

Unless Gilo is being blooded as a permanent defender, I'd like to see him up fwd.
The reason Lynch is in a few people's teams is simply because there are no other decent options, and he apparently has the attributes to fill the role we need.

Gilbert IS our next full back and he needs to continue to learn how to defend.

Other options are Gwilt, Geary, Cahill and Heyne. Gwilt can fill a hole but isn't the long-term solution, so I figure we might as well see if our next generation is up to it.

Some are suggesting moving Goddard, Chips, Gram, Raph etc up forward but unless they're setting up the play there's no point in having forwards.