worth watching the zebras

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

worth watching the zebras

With a list of 47.....every week there should be a good compliment of players playing both reserves and seniors....even with the usual 6-8 injuries.....

Sandy are a strong VFL group aswell, and have many senior bodies in their senior side

Crowe, Poyas, Sautner, Biddlecombe, Summers will all be walk up starts in the seniors to compliment a strong saints contingent...

At FULL Strength

Saints
B: GILBERT---HUDGHTON---BEGLEY
HB: S.FISHER---BLAKE---R.CLARKE
C: GRAM---BALL---DAL SANTO
HF: GODDARD---REIWOLDT---X.CLARKE
F: SCHNIEDER---KOSCHITZKE---MILNE
Foll: KING---HAYES---MONTAGNA
Int: RAY---JONES---ARIMITAGE---GWILT
Emerg: EDDY---L.FISHER---McQUALTER

Zebras
B: GRIBBEN*---DAWSON---HOWARD
HB: BIDDLECOMBE*---MAGUIRE---L.FISHER
C: HEYNE---SUMMERS*---EDDY
HF: LYNCH---CROWE*---POYAS*
F: McEVOY---SAUTNER*---STEVEN
Foll: GARDNER---GEARY---McQUALTER
Int: MILES---JOHNSTON*---MARTYN*---MONAGHAN*

Reserves
CAHILL (ff), GAERTNER (fb), SMITH (hb), CONNERS (hf), STANLEY (r), MCGRATH (int/r), SIMPKIN (chb), TANGULUTUM (hf)

casey scorp
Club Player

At Full Strength, Maguire for Sandy?

chook23
Saintsational Legend

casey scorp wrote:At Full Strength, Maguire for Sandy?
Given injuries and time out might even start in Sandy 2's

maybe no on 2nd thoughts but

certainly at Sandy

saint4life
casey scorp
Club Player

Agreed, but "at Full Strength" implies no injuries.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:

certainly at Sandy
Dont understand this time out of the game thing. Bakes and goose will both play in the ones in the first round if thay train as much as every other player and do well in the practice games. as far as i know no one has played for 6 months when the season starts.

sainteronline

No baker

also surprised to see that you have begley and Ray as walk up starts, when they couldn't get a game at their previous clubs

EB
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
chook23 wrote:

certainly at Sandy
Dont understand this time out of the game thing. Bakes and goose will both play in the ones in the first round if thay train as much as every other player and do well in the practice games. as far as i know no one has played for 6 months when the season starts.
Haven't played much footy yourself have you?

chook23
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
chook23 wrote:

certainly at Sandy
:roll:

saint4life
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

They are not doing the pre-season the others are....infact are both well back, as neither have done a full session yet.

Baker was an oversight.....he would be in the sandy senior side to start with......

will either make the saints side......

Maguire is behind.....S. Fisher, Blake, Hudghton, Gilbert as a Tall Defender.....and the consensus is he will not be tried fwd (I believe he should re-invent himself as an aggressive power fwd as he does not have the agility now to follow a player, he would not necissarily be a goalkicker but a target)

Baker will need to prove his fitness in games (run throughs are one thing, full pace games are another) he has broken down in his last three games..

Plugger - are you contradicing yourself with the 'I don't get the time out of the game' comment.......what was your stance on Benny....

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Ray missed very few games last season in a top 4 team...he has actually played a lot of AFL footy..

Begley has played 30 games over the past couple of years....

sainteronline

Just my opinion but

do you really See Begley and Ray as Walk upstarts (you answered that above whilst I was posting this)

also just looking at the zebras team on paper

our depth worries me

PJ
SS Life Member

Baker will need to prove his fitness in games (run throughs are one thing, full pace games are another) he has broken down in his last three games..
Wasn't that due to his bad knee - which has now been operated on.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:They are not doing the pre-season the others are....infact are both well back, as neither have done a full session yet.

Baker was an oversight.....he would be in the sandy senior side to start with......

will either make the saints side......

Maguire is behind.....S. Fisher, Blake, Hudghton, Gilbert as a Tall Defender.....and the consensus is he will not be tried fwd (I believe he should re-invent himself as an aggressive power fwd as he does not have the agility now to follow a player, he would not necissarily be a goalkicker but a target)

Plugger - are you contradicing yourself with the 'I don't get the time out of the game' comment.......what was your stance on Benny....
Pretty sure I didnt mention time out of the game. It was his age that worried me.

Also pretty sure that they have done a fair bit of training but that has nothing to do with what i am saying. If they do enough to play in the practice games and do well there time out of the game has no bearing on where they will play. Obviously if they miss mant sessions they will start at sandy.
Last edited by plugger66 on Wed 14 Jan 2009 7:44pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

EB wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
chook23 wrote:

certainly at Sandy
Why did you highlight that bit. Very confusing. Played a bit but what has that to do with anything.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Baker is one year younger than Cousins????

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

BTW

Begley and Ray are training the house down ATM....

Along with Eddy, Geary, L.Fisher, Jones,

and of course the usual suspects..

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Baker is one year younger than Cousins????
Baker is already on our list. I dont think we need to recruit him.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
chook23 wrote:

certainly at Sandy
Suspect that Baker would be a certain starter. As for Goose, well, maybe. Did N Brown come good at the start of the year when he returned 2nd time around?

Big ? of Begley TBH. I would think that Dempster would be there when fit. Ray would be a better chance than Jones.

The interesting part about Goose is that Blake has settled nicely. So maybe Goose at FB? And Max to 3rd FWD?

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:BTW

Begley and Ray are training the house down ATM....

Along with Eddy, Geary, L.Fisher, Jones,

and of course the usual suspects..
That's interesting Marto. Maybe we'll see some major changes with some of the regulars battling for a game?

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
EB
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
EB wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
chook23 wrote:

certainly at Sandy
Why did you highlight that bit. Very confusing. Played a bit but what has that to do with anything.
Because if you've played a lot of footy you'd know that it's almost impossible to miss game time then come back and be where you were (or anywhere within cooee of it) straight up.

If you've had time out of the game fitness should be the least of your worries (and even then I don't think any amount of training can truly prepare you for a match)

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

If he is too old and his body is shot, why keep him.....delist him....it is all about whether someone is worthy of a list spot.

You cannot say a reason not to recruit someone is the same as a reason to not delist someone....surely..

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:If he is too old and his body is shot, why keep him.....delist him....it is all about whether someone is worthy of a list spot.

You cannot say a reason not to recruit someone is the same as a reason to not delist someone....surely..
Im pretty sure you can. There are many players delisted that are better than players on the current list but you dont delist them and pick up the already delisted players.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

EB wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
EB wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
chook23 wrote:

certainly at Sandy
Because if you've played a lot of footy you'd know that it's almost impossible to miss game time then come back and be where you were (or anywhere within cooee of it) straight up.

If you've had time out of the game fitness should be the least of your worries (and even then I don't think any amount of training can truly prepare you for a match)
Lenny Hayes, David Schwatz, and many many players who do there knee very early in a year and play round one the next year. You can do it easily if it is the start of a season as every player is in the same boat. On the proviso you do pretty much 2 months training before round one as lenny did.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Back on the issue of current Sandy players......one thing (about the only thing) I'll miss about Casey is not having Kyle Matthews running around.

I thought he was a great leader of the magoos side, and would like it if Sandy could pinch him.

Any other Casey players that people can think of that would be good to get down at Sandy?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Back on the issue of current Sandy players......one thing (about the only thing) I'll miss about Casey is not having Kyle Matthews running around.

I thought he was a great leader of the magoos side, and would like it if Sandy could pinch him.

Any other Casey players that people can think of that would be good to get down at Sandy?
Ilzy