Book recommendation

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Book recommendation

Many of you will know of Angela Pippos, the ex ABC-TV Sports spresenter who now does the breakfast show on 927 with Michael Christian.

In 2006 she wrote a book called "The Goddess Advantage" detailing her life during the 2005 AFL season. Shes as one-eyed a football tragic as anyone on here, the difference being she has a pretty public profile as a TV / radio sports presenter....and shes a Crows fan.

I just thought Id share with you her take on the 1st half of the 2005 Qualifying Final....of course v the Saints at Crow Park....very funny stuff and the whole book in written in this vein.

The 7.30 kick-off made it impossible for me to get out of work and into the pub for the start of the match. I pleaded with the News producer to pre-record the sport at 6 o’clock and she thought I was joking. It was worth a try, Wilko gets away with it during the week.
But that meant that my best option was to watch the first half in my hi-tech edit suite and change venues at ½ time. As soon as the lights went down in the studio, I sprinted to Edit Suite 7 in world record time, 9.25secs, wind assisted, drug free
The red, blue and gold bracelet I had shoved up my arm out of view whilst I was on-air assumed its proper place on my wrist and I kicked my shoes off for extra comfort. I didn’t have time to brew a cuppa, but all the nutmeg, cinnamon and Chai in India wouldn’t have calmed my nerves anyway.
What did soothe me were 3 1st-quarter goasl from Ken McGregor, But that, tragically, turned out to be a case of premature relaxation. A dramatic Robert Harvey-inspired turnaround in the second quarter had me twisting and twirling my hair like a maniac until I couldn’t stand it any more. At this rate, I was going to end up with ringlets.
WHO THE F*** IS ON HARVEY!!!!!! I bellowed. The horrified faces of the journos in the Asia-Pacific News Dept told me two things. I have a fair set of lungs, and these guys havent spent enough time in the outer. My throat was red raw.

.....and so it goes on in this vein.

Excellent read for any footy fan. She has a very dry self-deprecating wit and is surprisinginly candid about herself given her profile.

"The Goddess Advantage" by Angela Pippos (got mine at my local library, not sure if its still in print)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
saintwill66
Club Player

Thanks for the tip.....I have a bookshop in Brisbane and I have just checked and it is still in print. I'll get a couple in for myself and son-in-law, if anyone would like me to get a copy (RRP $22.95) let me know.

i_luv_nick_riewoldt
SS Life Member

Just from reading that it was actually really interesting the way she has written it. I might go and grab it from the library.

Go saints in '09!
TriColourDisciple
Club Player

Have you read the book 'saturday afternoon fever' by Matthew Hardy? It is brilliant & recommend it to all Saints fans as a 'must read'.
I've read it quite a few times & enjoy it every time.

Proudly Brainwashed since 1972