Ross Lyon on 3AW Tuesday @ 6:35pm

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

tweedaletomanning wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
tweedaletomanning wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:I've known of him and personally for about 25 years, starting at St Kilda, then little league and then senior footy.

He's never been backward in coming forward with his opinion, whether I agreed with him or not.

FOr those who don't know, he was intimately involoved in that 1300CABS sponsorship we had a few years ago at TD - when Russell Morris would introduce an old 'legend' for a lap of the oval pprior to the game.

I believe he also used to drive GT quite regualarly, which may explain his less than complementary attitude towards RL?
Thats true..

Still drives Harves around quite regularly as well from what he tells me.

The pig story is a classic though...i'll try to get him on here to talk about it if anyone is interested.
Will he bring Minton-Connell to verify it? :)
Sounds like you know more about it even than I do :wink:

Were you involved? 8-)
Nah, but I've heard the story numerous times.
Allegedly the pig was smuggled into the ground in Minton-Connell's bag (who was a swans player at the time?)

Pilgram
Club Player

Pilgram wrote:In this day and age you need to be an absolute minimum of 80kg
InkerSaint wrote:".. Xavier fighting a history of soft tissue injuries, he has since bulked up to 80kg to mitigate."
St Fidelius wrote:X Clarke is not at that weight...
The cold, hard truth is that if you are not a minimum of 75-80kg you are not qualified to play in the AFL.
Simply put, if you are not 75kg you are not an elite contributor at AFL level.
If you are not 75kg in 2009 and in the AFL system you will be pushed around.
Surely it must be identified whether or not Eljay will be able to achieve this weight.
Having said that, X has not had the best of luck recently and is a better player than ppl give him credit for.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Pilgram wrote:
InkerSaint wrote:".. Xavier fighting a history of soft tissue injuries, he has since bulked up to 80kg to mitigate."
The cold, hard truth is that if you are not a minimum of 75-80kg you are not qualified to play in the AFL.
Surely it must be identified whether or not Eljay will be able to achieve this weight.
Having said that, X has not had the best of luck recently and is a better player than ppl give him credit for.
X has been heavier than 80 and lighter than 80kg. The truth is he is injury prone. You started by saying they have to be 80kg now you are down to 75kg. I reckon Eljay is about 75kg but i am worried about Aaron Davey. looks like he will have to retire as he is only 72kg and thought he was good player.

Pilgram
Club Player

LOL
Have you seen Aaron Davey lately?
The Lad is massive C. 2009 8-)

Pilgram
Club Player

I think that everyone is quick to jump on X and label him everything that he isn't without recognising everything that he IS.
He IS a tough cookie.
He IS a special Individual.
He IS important to our team.

He is NOT soft.
He is NOT excessively prone to injury, and
He is NOT disposable.

I see him as a massive contributor and a bloke who is highly skilled.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

I just had a listen to the podcast (thanks for posting that link saintbrat) to see if I heard Lyon right on X, quote "he's up to 80 kilos". Would love to see X re-emerge as he's great to watch.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Pilgram wrote:LOL
Have you seen Aaron Davey lately?
The Lad is massive C. 2009 8-)
The Melbourne site says 72kg but even if he is more now under your theory this should be his first season and I am pretty sure he has played before this year.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Pilgram wrote:
The "cold, hard truth" is that if you are not a minimum of 75-80kg you are not qualified to play in the AFL.
How ridiculous. The cold hard truth is that if you're not 75-80 kg and you're 18+, then you're a very small/light man (while I've known a few 6' ers under 75 at 18 (though I think by 25 all those would have at least reached the 75 mark), that's been very tall & skinny). Being that small/light is going to present problems with being a professional athlete in a contact sport, the guys who make it are the freaks of the freaks to begin with.

Id be surprised to learn that Daniel Kerr, Marc Murphy, and a number of other contributing Mids and small forward were > 80 kg.

What must be identified with smaller players is:
a) are they fragile as a result.
b) do they have the skills to make up for whatever resulting deficiencies.

If he's quick, evasive, skilled and can find the ball without getting killed, I don't care if Eljay is 65, he'll earn a go. On the other hand, if he's always hurt/can't tackle and doesn't make up for it elsewhere, he won't, nothing to do with weight.

I see a lightweight like Eljay, and I certainly have my doubts - but to dismiss on arbitrary criteria is nonsense... it's not like they didn't know he was light when they picked him.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Did anybody read the story in today's Hun about teh Essendon Rookie ruckman?

They then listed the tallest players in the AFl and our Blake McGrath came in as second tallest at 208cms and 85kgs
Aaron Sandilands is the tallest at 213cms and 125kgs - 40kgs heavier than McGrath!

Warnock (the Carlton recruit) is listed at 206cms and 105 kgs.

Pilgram
Club Player

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
Pilgram wrote:
The "cold, hard truth" is that if you are not a minimum of 75-80kg you are not qualified to play in the AFL.
How ridiculous. The cold hard truth is that if you're not 75-80 kg and you're 18+, then you're a very small/light man (while I've known a few 6' ers under 75 at 18 (though I think by 25 all those would have at least reached the 75 mark), that's been very tall & skinny). Being that small/light is going to present problems with being a professional athlete in a contact sport, the guys who make it are the freaks of the freaks to begin with.

Id be surprised to learn that Daniel Kerr, Marc Murphy, and a number of other contributing Mids and small forward were > 80 kg.

If he's quick, evasive, skilled and can find the ball without getting killed, I don't care if Eljay is 65, he'll earn a go. On the other hand, if he's always hurt/can't tackle and doesn't make up for it elsewhere, he won't, nothing to do with weight.

I see a lightweight like Eljay, and I certainly have my doubts - but to dismiss on arbitrary criteria is nonsense... it's not like they didn't know he was light when they picked him.
you say "how ridiculous' then basically go on to agree with everything that i said. .. !?

sam mitchell wouldnt be much more than 75kg. his fat head weighs about 15kg on its own LOL.
blokes like brad sewell wouldnt be much more than 75kg.

the point is more about being a weight that allows you not to be pushed around.
the point was more that in this day and age you need to be a middleweight (72.6kg) to play AFL.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Pilgram wrote:
BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
Pilgram wrote:

you say "how ridiculous' then basically go on to agree with everything that i said. .. !?

sam mitchell wouldnt be much more than 75kg. his fat head weighs about 15kg on its own LOL.
blokes like brad sewell wouldnt be much more than 75kg.

the point is more about being a weight that allows you not to be pushed around.
the point was more that in this day and age you need to be a middleweight (72.6kg) to play AFL.
Down to 72.6kg now. By the start of the season as long as you weigh over 50kg you will be right to play. Weight has little to do with having the skills to deliver the ball as you obviously agree on.

Pilgram
Club Player

:lol:
preferably super-middleweight (76.2 kg)
delievery is simply one skill .. you need to be able to defend aswell PlugOne.
in this day and age if you are any less than an middleweight you will be run thru, on, and off the ball.
if you are 65kg you will suffer soft tissues and the like for as long as the physicality in the game exists.
would you agree?

PJ
SS Life Member

Just out of interest how heavy was Hart from the brions?

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.