Saints Can Be Flag Contenders

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Saints Can Be Flag Contenders

Sam Fisher on The Age online:

Saints can be flag contenders: Fisher

January 9, 2009 - 1:55PM

St Kilda have called on their bulging list of rookies to act quickly in the scramble for spots this AFL season.

Defender Sam Fisher said it was not good enough for the young players coming into the squad to wait and hope for selection, warning competition would be fierce.

St Kilda signed seven rookie-listed players at the end of last year, led by ex-Hawthorn defender Zac Dawson.

"We've got a lot of young guys here, a lot of new players and we've got one of the biggest lists in the comp I think now, so there's a lot of competition for spots," Fisher said on Friday.

"They've all shown promise so far and they're exciting. They've really put their head down and they've been willing to learn and willing to train hard.

"That's what we've encouraged as senior players when they got here - really to sort of attack it and not wait for anything to happen and they've all seemed to do that so far."

The Saints were crushed by 2007 premiers Geelong in the qualifying final last year, rebounded to beat Collingwood and then bowed out to eventual premiers Hawthorn in a lacklustre performance.

Fisher believes St Kilda can step up to challenge the two dominant sides from 2008 with an injection of self-belief across the board.

"I think we can improve massively. Judging by the two finals we were a little bit off the top sides in that finals series," he said.

"So improvement's got to come from within and young guys taking their chances and stepping up to the plate.

"That's what this pre-season's all about and hopefully we can bridge the gap pretty quickly on those two top sides.

"I suppose we took out of last year and the finals that we did beat at least one of those sides last year (Hawthorn in round 16) and we played reasonably well throughout the year against Geelong also.

"We took a lot of confidence out of that (but) we did lose the finals quite convincingly.

"But it just gets back to our middle tier and top tier players and even the younger guys all improving over pre-season, really working hard and gaining that confidence that we can mix it with the best of them," Fisher said.

© 2009 AAP

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints Can Be Flag Contenders

Bernard Shakey wrote:"Judging by the two finals we were a little bit off the top sides in that finals series," he said.
What?

Have a look at these Sam:

And then tell me how in hell we could have competed with this a week later:

?

Look, I don't mean to be negative, but I sure hope the players don't honestly think we're just a 'little' bit behind. We're a mile behind and the work we need to put in needs to be massive if we're to catch up.

We were trashed - disgracefully - in both finals.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

evertonfc wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:"Judging by the two finals we were a little bit off the top sides in that finals series," he said.
What?

Have a look at these Sam:

And then tell me how in hell we could have competed with this a week later:

?

Look, I don't mean to be negative, but I sure hope the players don't honestly think we're just a 'little' bit behind. We're a mile behind and the work we need to put in needs to be massive if we're to catch up.

We were trashed - disgracefully - in both finals.
*que those who have the rose tinters on coming out to bash this above post*

you're spot on though Ev, telling it like it is as usual

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

fonz_#15 wrote:*que those who have the rose tinters on coming out to bash this above post*

Haha, I know they're coming :wink:

"How dare you inject reality into our pre-season optimism!"

*assumes brace position*

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

I don't know what you're getting your knickers in a twist about. He did say "we did lose the finals quite convincingly".

I suppose Leigh Tudor's got the rose-tinted glasses on too and we can all scoff at the "Saints not far off Cat mark" article as well. Jeez. One understatement and all the knockers with smoke-tinted glasses are ranting.

It sounds to me like what's happening is exactly or close to what needs to happen. What's the problem, again?

degruch
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
fonz_#15 wrote:*que those who have the rose tinters on coming out to bash this above post*

Haha, I know they're coming :wink:

"How dare you inject reality into our pre-season optimism!"

*assumes brace position*
Boring Ev, very boring. It's easy to be negative when your team's only a mere top 4 finisher :roll:

I'm glad you got the last laugh when our biatches from Hawthorn finally got a win...I thought there was no safer money in the whole finals campaign that the Saints to roll the Hawks. I didn't count on Luke Hodge playing the game of his lifetime, spitting up blood to drag his team to a big prelim victory. Never mind, there's always...erm...this year.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Inker, it was probably just a throw away comment from Sam that isn't worth reading too much into.

By the same token, I just hope the players understanding the chasm that exists between ourselves and the top two.
degruch wrote:Boring Ev, very boring. It's easy to be negative when your team's only a mere top 4 finisher.
The only thing boring about 2008 was our playing style.

And since when did falling arse-over-tit into the top four and winning a match against the Collingwood u/19s justify mass exuberation?

There's only two satisfactory states in football: winning the premiership, or building to win the next premiership.

Anything else is fodder for the masses.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

evertonfc wrote:Inker, it was probably just a throw away comment from Sam that isn't worth reading too much into.

By the same token, I just hope the players understanding the chasm that exists between ourselves and the top two.
degruch wrote:Boring Ev, very boring. It's easy to be negative when your team's only a mere top 4 finisher.

And since when did falling arse-over-tit into the top four and winning a match against the Collingwood u/19s justify mass exuberation?

There's only two satisfactory states in football: winning the premiership, or building to win the next premiership.

I predict that the players know more about the chasm that exists than you do TBH. Although you prefer to portray yourself as otherwise.

WTF do you and others expect players to say?

We're shyte, don't turn up, don't buy a membership?

Yes, Fisher is just another in the long line of "non" Sainters people who are treating members and supporters with contempt by wheeling out the same old tired cliches.

If he was half decent, he would have been honest and stated that we cannot win the flag because we didn't recruit Cousins. :roll:

So what are you suggesting? That the players eliminate belief from themselves? Yup. Let's go thru the motions boys. We're so far away... F*** it, let's tank coz Everton says so. :roll:

Surely the 1st step is to develop a belief that you can achieve an objective. It's not about rose coloured glasses. But F***, how down can you get? I think everyone knows what's ahead for us.

Suggest you join RodgerFox at the clinic and get your male menopause treated.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
Saints94
SS Life Member

he said that the kids have to step up to the plate :? ........... I think all the senior guys are the ones who have to step up to the plate Dal, Kozi, X etc. :roll:

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

homework wrote:he said that the kids have to step up to the plate :? ........... I think all the senior guys are the ones who have to step up to the plate Dal, Kozi, X etc. :roll:

true homey, except we have to find kids too step up as well because we haven't seen much from our draft picks of the last few years...to really be up there this year we need 30 players pressing for selection each week.

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
Saints94
SS Life Member

fonz_#15 wrote:
homework wrote:he said that the kids have to step up to the plate :? ........... I think all the senior guys are the ones who have to step up to the plate Dal, Kozi, X etc. :roll:

true homey, except we have to find kids too step up as well because we haven't seen much from our draft picks of the last few years...to really be up there this year we need 30 players pressing for selection each week.
Great point we need kids threting our senior guys spots in the team

degruch
Saintsational Legend

homework wrote:
fonz_#15 wrote:

Great point we need kids threting our senior guys spots in the team
Actually: "But it just gets back to our middle tier and top tier players and even the younger guys all improving over pre-season, really working hard and gaining that confidence that we can mix it with the best of them," Fisher said...looks like he's referring to the older players improving too. I think it goes without saying, to improve, you need to improve :?

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

WayneJudson42 wrote: I predict that the players know more about the chasm that exists than you do TBH. Although you prefer to portray yourself as otherwise.

WTF do you and others expect players to say?

We're shyte, don't turn up, don't buy a membership?

Yes, Fisher is just another in the long line of "non" Sainters people who are treating members and supporters with contempt by wheeling out the same old tired cliches.

If he was half decent, he would have been honest and stated that we cannot win the flag because we didn't recruit Cousins. :roll:

So what are you suggesting? That the players eliminate belief from themselves? Yup. Let's go thru the motions boys. We're so far away... F*** it, let's tank coz Everton says so. :roll:

Surely the 1st step is to develop a belief that you can achieve an objective. It's not about rose coloured glasses. But F***, how down can you get? I think everyone knows what's ahead for us.

Suggest you join RodgerFox at the clinic and get your male menopause treated.
BINGO!
We have a winner!

Seeya
degruch
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:Inker, it was probably just a throw away comment from Sam that isn't worth reading too much into.

Well, last year it was our playing style, this year it's your attitude...and we're only 9 days in! :P

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

[quote="degruch]"But it just gets back to our middle tier and top tier players and even the younger guys all improving over pre-season, really working hard and gaining that confidence that we can mix it with the best of them," Fisher said[/b]...looks like he's referring to the older players improving too. I think it goes without saying, to improve, you need to improve :?[/quote]
The most important thing is to ensure that you get the most out of every player on the list. In 1997 we didn't necessarily have the best side but we had a lot of plyers (especially seond tier and younger players) who got the best out of themselves. If the players and coach can manage that anything is possible.
Who thought the Hawks would win the flag this time last year?

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

Agreed Ev....

No-one can say anything has been achieved, until the ultimate prize has been won.

So, until the "CUP" is safely in the cabinet, it's all just "blah blah blah".

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

degruch wrote:Well, last year it was our playing style, this year it's your attitude...and we're only 9 days in! :P
Riiiiight...

:shock:
WayneJudson42 wrote:Surely the 1st step is to develop a belief that you can achieve an objective. It's not about rose coloured glasses. But F***, how down can you get? I think everyone knows what's ahead for us.
I'll forgive the other stuff you posted because it was senseless jibber.

So, basically, in the above you concede "everyone knows what's ahead for us" - in other words, we have a tough road.

Now, FFS - apply some common sense to what I posted. I said what Fisher said was probably a throwaway line. Right?

But if he doesn't think it was a throwaway line, and that getting smacked in two finals means we're only a "little" bit off the pace, then I am worried.

The players should recognise how far behind the top two and be working accordingly. And if you think that somehow belitting that perception as "my opinion" makes it untrue, well, I'm sorry - watch the tape of the two finals if you disagree.

Honestly, a whole load of guff gets posted on Internet forums by keyboard warrior heroes who are desperate to get personal. I couldn't give a toss about that. I just want a premiership.

And it is my view that we should leave no stone unturned in the search for a premiership.

The rest is, quite frankly, is hot air.
tweedaletomanning wrote: No-one can say anything has been achieved, until the ultimate prize has been won.
Exactly.

Until then, we should be breaking our backs to get there.

Otherwise, I'd rather rebuild and give our 14 new players some game time.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

evertonfc wrote:
degruch wrote:Well, last year it was our playing style, this year it's your attitude...and we're only 9 days in! :P
Riiiiight...

:shock:
WayneJudson42 wrote:Surely the 1st step is to develop a belief that you can achieve an objective. It's not about rose coloured glasses. But F***, how down can you get? I think everyone knows what's ahead for us.
I'll forgive the other stuff you posted because it was senseless jibber.

So, basically, in the above you concede "everyone knows what's ahead for us" - in other words, we have a tough road.

Now, FFS - apply some common sense to what I posted. I said what Fisher said was probably a throwaway line. Right?

But if he doesn't think it was a throwaway line, and that getting smacked in two finals means we're only a "little" bit off the pace, then I am worried.

The players should recognise how far behind the top two and be working accordingly. And if you think that somehow belitting that perception as "my opinion" makes it untrue, well, I'm sorry - watch the tape of the two finals if you disagree.

Honestly, a whole load of guff gets posted on Internet forums by keyboard warrior heroes who are desperate to get personal. I couldn't give a toss about that. I just want a premiership.

And it is my view that we should leave no stone unturned in the search for a premiership.

The rest is, quite frankly, is hot air.
tweedaletomanning wrote: No-one can say anything has been achieved, until the ultimate prize has been won.
Exactly.

Until then, we should be breaking our backs to get there.

Otherwise, I'd rather rebuild and give our 14 new players some game time.
Whatever. You're the man! :lol:

No shyte? You got that right. WE are aware that there is a gap. But I doubt that despite your sense of self-importance, the players are also aware and that they don't need armchair experts like you searching the net for videos to prove a point.

If it's a throw away line, then why go to soooo much effort to jump on your soap box?

No one gets personal dude. However, you're ok to slap people down if you want to? You post an opinion... I post an opinion.

But you're quite happy to bait others who may disagree with you.

Get over yourself.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
Longwayfromhome
Club Player

2008 is dead and buried.We are as good as bet as any other team in the competition. I don't give a rats arse what dribble is sprouted in the pre season. The draftees look good. Some of the rookies look promising. We have the best half forward in the comp, the best half back and the best full back. Our mid fielders are looking as promising as any other team. Bring it all on. The Saints won't be far from the mark.

Leave your ego's in the locker when you start and pick them up again when you retire
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Longwayfromhome wrote:2008 is dead and buried.We are as good as bet as any other team in the competition. I don't give a rats arse what dribble is sprouted in the pre season. The draftees look good. Some of the rookies look promising. We have the best half forward in the comp, the best half back and the best full back. Our mid fielders are looking as promising as any other team. Bring it all on. The Saints won't be far from the mark.
Well summed up.

What some people forget is that each year it's a new race. So much can go wrong between now and GF day for Hawks, Cats or whoever.

So you have to believe in yourself and your mates. The players can only do hwat they have to do... the rest is out of their control.

As long as they give 110% of themselves, then I'm happy.

Just look at 04 and 05 if you want proof of how the wheels can easily fall off... look at WCE, another so-called dynasty. Same with Geelong... lasted for 1 year so far.

Anything goes. And good on the players for being optimistic at this time of the year... and so they bloody well should!

A 5% improvement across the playing group will close the gap pretty well quickly. Then it depends on the other teams and how well much they improve / decline.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Start of 2007...Cats were off the pace and needed to improve.

Start of 2008...Hawks were off the pace and needed to improve.

How did both go???

The key for Saints in 2009 is not how they played in 2008...but how they will play in 2009.

Will Ball and others improve? If enough do, often enough, then we are in with a show. If not...then we are not.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

2007 Hawks were well beaten in the finals by North Melbourne.
North were smashed by Port in the prelim, Port smashed by Geelong in the GF.

Perhaps the Hawks should have given up. They were a long way behind Geelong.

2006 Geelong couldn't even make the finals. How far were they behind West Coast and Sydney.

They should have given up.

2004. West Coast were smashed by Sydney in the finals who were in turn smashed by the Saints! How could they possibly home to be competitive in the next couple of years.

2003. Port smashed in the prelim by Collingwood. How could they ever hope to compete against Brisbane?

2000 Brisbane were thumped by Carlton in a Semi Final. Obviously Carlton were at the start of a new dynasty and Brisbane were destined for obscurity over the next few years.

1965. Saints smashed by the Bombers in the grand final. Time for a rebuild?

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Now I'm starting to hear the right attitudes...glad to know the seasons not shot to pieces already. :roll:

Solar
Saintsational Legend

in the end the only thing that will get us close to the top 2 teams is if the senior players say the right things in january....

ev I enjoy some of your posts but your soapboxing on some issues are a little tiring and should be used by hack summer opinion writers look for something to write about...

No one here has rose coloured glasses, we all know we were 10 goals off the hawks and cats in 2008. Strangely we are in 2009 and have a pre-season to develop this team into something better.... if the players and coaches don't think they can bridge the gap they should just bugger off and try a new sport.

No-one is doing a schwab and saying we will win the flag... but as has been said, flag winning teams need to start somewhere....

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
CaptainRiewoldt
Club Player

BE POSITIVE!!

We were soundly beaten by Hawthorn (the premiership side) mid september 2008. Get over it this is 2009!

We have to put that behind us and be positive in 2008.

We will have back Ball, Maguire, Xavier Clarke, Baker all back from injury.

Ross lyon another years experience will change it up and hopefully will work for us, get it right. PUT KOSI IN DEFENCE where he belongs!!

We have got Leigh tudor dropping Barker and Rock who I always felt what the????

Sure we lost convincingly, but we will be better this year, we will be hopefully different. We will hopefully have BALL playing centre rater than MCQUALTER!!

We have rid out soft or other players not intended for Ross' gameplan. Its progressing!! Thats inhouse we dont understand all the working but its clear this has been done. ALL POSITIVE!!

Raph Clarke found his place and was great.

Plenty to be excited about for the saints in 2009 why be down and negative????? Enjoy the season and the hope that is there, after all as fans what else is there??