Telstra Dome...its in a right state at the minute...

Caught some of the Victory v Adelaide game on Fox the other night..and holy crap I see why Ernie Merrick was having a grizzle about the state of the ground. Ground staff were picking debris off the ground during the players warm-up..and a Victory player found a large piece of plastic in the grass whilst warming up!!

That Sensation NYE party there has left the surface in a shocking state. The only reason the last 2 Victory ganes have gone ahead there Id say is that the AFL "Wings" arent needed. Theres a strip 70-80m long and 5-6m wide on the Cityside wing that looks like its just been scarified. If an AFL game had been sceduled there..well we'd be off to the G for certain.

Looks as bad as ive ever seen it right now. The ground staff have major work to do to get it ready for the NAB Cup..

Looks like TD have put a one-off booking ahead of regular tenants like the A-League (and the AFL potentially). Methinks Sensation might be looking for a new home in 09. Once bitten twice shy.

In a word..OUR ground looks like crap right now

Re: Telstra Dome...its in a right state at the minute...

saint66au wrote:Caught some of the Victory v Adelaide game on Fox the other night..and holy crap I see why Ernie Merrick was having a grizzle about the state of the ground. Ground staff were picking debris off the ground during the players warm-up..and a Victory player found a large piece of plastic in the grass whilst warming up!!

That Sensation NYE party there has left the surface in a shocking state. The only reason the last 2 Victory ganes have gone ahead there Id say is that the AFL "Wings" arent needed. Theres a strip 70-80m long and 5-6m wide on the Cityside wing that looks like its just been scarified. If an AFL game had been sceduled there..well we'd be off to the G for certain.

Looks as bad as ive ever seen it right now. The ground staff have major work to do to get it ready for the NAB Cup..

Looks like TD have put a one-off booking ahead of regular tenants like the A-League (and the AFL potentially). Methinks Sensation might be looking for a new home in 09. Once bitten twice shy.

In a word..OUR ground looks like crap right now
Just how long does our agreement run with this pathetic piece of work in Collins???

won't they just wheel some new strips of turf in?

as i understand it. grass doesn't actually grow on its surface anyway, so they just replace the bits that look worst.

It's a shame. I thought they'd finally got the surface right. It seemed to hold up really well throughout last season. Now for the sake of one event they've stuffed it up.
Who in their right mind would think "Let's get 40,000 people to jump all over the ground for an entire night and then try to play soccer on it two days later"?
During the footy season they won't even let the kids have a kick on it after a game because they're so worried it might get damaged.

bigcarl wrote:won't they just wheel some new strips of turf in?

as i understand it. grass doesn't actually grow on its surface anyway, so they just replace the bits that look worst.
The problem with doing that contantly is that the "new" turf doesnt get a chance to bind or knit to anything..and the resultant surface would be more at home to Wayne Kretsky and the Toronto Maple Leafs than AFL Footy

I thought I heard that after the success of the night they'd booked it for the next 5 years... 40,000 tickets at $150 each = 6 million reasons why that might be true... I'd love to know the breakdown of that and TD's slice.

bigcarl wrote:won't they just wheel some new strips of turf in?

The problem with doing that contantly is that the "new" turf doesnt get a chance to bind or knit to anything..and the resultant surface would be more at home to Wayne Kretsky and the Toronto Maple Leafs than AFL Footy
i know, but that's what they do isn't it? they did a couple of years back. or have they somehow solved the problem of grass not growing there?

Well they have bought some you-beaut UV rig thats supposed to stimulate grass growth (who'd have thought? ;-) but trying to play a soccer game on it 48 hrs later was fanciful at best

Gabba

saint66au wrote:Well they have bought some you-beaut UV rig thats supposed to stimulate grass growth (who'd have thought? ;-) but trying to play a soccer game on it 48 hrs later was fanciful at best
Man, imagine the sheer amount of crop they could grow there :P

Does show you their priorities though when they wont let anyone on the ground to kick a footy for 20 minutes after a game for fear of damaging it, but they'll let 40,000 ravers rip it to shreds all night long if there's enough of a buck in it for them.

Well, our 1st nab cup game is at Carrara. If we were to lose that we would be playing at places like;

Upper Congupna West(Nth West of Shepparton),Bamawm Extension(Nth West of Rochester & Sth West of Echuca),Bunnaloo (due west of Mathoura), Patchewollock (sth of Tempy) and other far flung locations. All in much better nick than "the joint"

Lets hope "the joint" is ready to rock for our Rd 1 clash with Roger's 2nd team !!

Eastern wrote:Well, our 1st nab cup game is at Carrara. If we were to lose that we would be playing at places like;

Upper Congupna West(Nth West of Shepparton),Bamawm Extension(Nth West of Rochester & Sth West of Echuca),Bunnaloo (due west of Mathoura), Patchewollock (sth of Tempy) and other far flung locations. All in much better nick than "the joint"

Lets hope "the joint" is ready to rock for our Rd 1 clash with Roger's 2nd team !!
almost that far away
if we win we play TD
if we lose wwe play PP_ or Visy park :) and according to a poster here that looks the dumps too :D

markp wrote:I thought I heard that after the success of the night they'd booked it for the next 5 years... 40,000 tickets at $150 each = 6 million reasons why that might be true... I'd love to know the breakdown of that and TD's slice.
!00% correct markp. Telctra Dome and the company that runs teh Sensation dance party agreed to a 5 year deal to hold the event there.

Never mind that Melbourne Victory had a game booked well in advance with the venue secduled just days later and Collins probably knew the serface would be in shite condition but he signed up a rave party anyway.

Absolute joke

saintbrat wrote:
Eastern wrote:Well, our 1st nab cup game is at Carrara. If we were to lose that we would be playing at places like;

almost that far away
if we win we play TD
if we lose wwe play PP_ or Visy park :) and according to a poster here that looks the dumps too :D
Are those venues confirmed Bratty? where did you hear/see that?

saint66au -

It's on the AFL 2009 NAB Cup Schedule

Winners of matches 2 & 3 (W Bulldogs/Ess & Lions/Saints) play at TD on 27 Feb :shock:

http://afl.com.au/Portals/0/afl_docs/fi ... turev2.pdf

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:

saintbrat wrote:
almost that far away
if we win we play TD
Are those venues confirmed Bratty? where did you hear/see that?[/quote]

http://www.saintsational.com/forum/view ... hp?t=48725 -post 4

afl.com.au

Hurricane wrote:
markp wrote:I thought I heard that after the success of the night they'd booked it for the next 5 years... 40,000 tickets at $150 each = 6 million reasons why that might be true... I'd love to know the breakdown of that and TD's slice.
!00% correct markp. Telctra Dome and the company that runs teh Sensation dance party agreed to a 5 year deal to hold the event there.

Never mind that Melbourne Victory had a game booked well in advance with the venue secduled just days later and Collins probably knew the serface would be in shite condition but he signed up a rave party anyway.

Absolute joke

Agree. Fancy booking something that goes for 5 years whan the Victory have one year only on their contract.

I can not believe TD is in such a state in times of tight water restrictions after a massive party that gurantees the surface receives plenty of fluid fromall that ice....

weird.....still I looked the goods with my fly's eyes hanging out NYE in my 1 piece Abba suit jumpin round like a lunatic sucking a chuppa chup.

cool man...(whoops just showed my age...)

Pilgram

has there been anything official that has come from TD management saintbrat?

Hurricane wrote:

Absolute joke

Agree. Fancy booking something that goes for 5 years whan the Victory have one year only on their contract.
Oh havent you taken your sarcasm pills today :roll:

I think the point he was trying to make is that blind freddy could tell you that Sensation would stuff up the ground..yet Collo OK'd it knowing that another tenant (length of contract irrelevant in this case) had the ground booked for a soccer game 2 days later and their absolute right to a good playing surface would be seriously compromised.

Hurricane wrote:

Absolute joke

Oh havent you taken your sarcasm pills today :roll:

I think the point he was trying to make is that blind freddy could tell you that Sensation would stuff up the ground..yet Collo OK'd it knowing that another tenant (length of contract irrelevant in this case) had the ground booked for a soccer game 2 days later and their absolute right to a good playing surface would be seriously compromised.
I think it is relevent how long the contract is for. As of next year they may not even have games of soccer at the ground so as a ground manager for publicly listed company Collo has to try as make as much income as possible and the Sensation dance party has a guareenteed 4 years left on the contract. I reckon they have concerts during footy season as well which could have stuffed up the ground but they need to make money so some risks have to be taken.
What would you do if you were ground manager?

Pilgram wrote:has there been anything official that has come from TD management saintbrat?
about what?
I only read the NAB and NAB challenge lists

Pilgram

saintbrat wrote:
Pilgram wrote:has there been anything official that has come from TD management saintbrat?
about what?
I only read the NAB and NAB challenge lists
about the state of the ground with reference to the NAB Cup.

with not much rain forcasted between now and the NAB Cup the debate over whether the surface will come up for the NAB Cup will start soon.

here they are with the roof open praying for rain that wont come feverishly pouring water into turf that is dead and calling people in with ultraviolet setups.

tip is that the surface will be sub-standard for the NAB Cup.

Plugger, unfortunately I think you are on the money - it's all about money with TD - they couldn't give a stuff about clients and service etc.

I went to the Victory/Adelaide game, and the surface is a joke, the heat lamps can't bring completely dead grass back to life, it will need a re-surface.

Another thing, as the Victory get the ground hire for bugger all, I've seen time and again several food outlets closed on Level 3, even with Level 3 75% full - this doesn't appear to happen at the footy.

So there you go - another example of their attitude.

So Collo doesn't care about the ground surface - I reckon fans should en-masse storm the ground after our first win.

Would be great if we could make a song and dance about it through the media - as you need many hundreds (or thousands) to be on to it, to stop police fines.

Good idea??

...oh, and by the way, it's still "Telstra Dome" Collo, until you listen to AndyD and give us AFL tenants a better deal....

Well, I went to see the Victory flog the Sheep Shaggers last night, and the ground has improved massively.

The big dead strips running along both sides of the ground are now light green, whilst the midfield area is almost lush green.

I'd rate the overall surface 7 out of 10, which is still substandard for this time of year - it should be perfect in Summer!

By the time the pre season comp starts in a few weeks, it should be almost there, and by the time it's Round 1 and we play Sydney, it should be perfect.