The Supporter Function

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Batnoe

The Supporter Function

I was very impressed with the level of professionalism showed by the playing group as a whole tonight.

Some i was extremely happy with, others i wasn't so much, it is obvious there are some players with a bit of personality and some that seemed they didnt want to be there. I know there were rookies there and this was the first time they had been to a Saints supporter group function and hence why the were shy and had no idea what to do

Players with extreme personality that generally wanted to be there were- Maguire, Colm Begley, Joey, Baker, Leigh Fisher, Goddard.... other popular players were also happy to be there but were taken up by other supporters that wanted their attention...(Milne, Dal, Max, Lenny, Gilbert, Roo, Gram)

I was most dissapointed in Kosi, did not seem happy to be there at all, i guess after 100 photos it would be annoying but after meeting him in real life and him being a favourite of mine i have lost a lot of respect for him...

Exciting news- L Fisher- very keen to get in midfield and is trying his arse to get in there and that is why he is getting as fit as he can, looking forward at showing what he can do with an improved fitness base- now training in midfield group instead of backline

Gram- Cant wait to play in the middle, is glad that Farren Ray and Colm Begley have come to the club so he can push into the middle and run, really hates Fremantle (probably because of his second game, also said they are arrogant)

Jones- After bringing up the tackle on Lance Franklin, he said he was stoked with what he had done, said Lance gives noone much respect and knew he was there but didnt think he could catch him, he said there is plenty more where it came from!

Ray- Really wants to break into the middle, played a lot of footy on the wing and sees himself playing there eventually where he can use his running capabilities to set up plays, he said in 2006 in a season where no injuries he was ranked in the top 3 for running bounces in the AFL, can you imagine him and Gram in the one side? Also said he moved to St.Kilda suberb last year and thinks it is an omen!!

Goddard- this guy is great, loves a chat and is happy to be a saint, he said he was originally a bit annoyed that he didnt go to the Blues but the first game he played and won against them he knew he would never look at them the same way... I asked him about the tapping of the heart, i said it is obvious you bleed the saints and will be captain one day, he said it is a thing between him and his brother (brother in jail , not dad) his brother is a very passionate BJ fan and now Saints and does it to keep him occupied and to say he is thinking of him.

Dempster- Hopes to be ready by round 10, aims to be in full training by 2 or 3 so he can get a game by then, loves being at the saints, it is a lot younger and have a lot better future than the Swans

Maguire- he said he is fit, the scar on his leg is pretty big and his leg is still not the same size as his other- also has indents where muscle had been removed with compartment syndrome. I have one concern, he said he was fine but during speeches etc he was standing there stretching his leg!!

Dal Santo- I said 2009- Year of the Dal? Brownlow medal... he wants to improve on this year, he wants to do the team thing and that is him being more consistent and playing good footy- would rather a flag

McEvoy- He said it will be hard to get a gig while Gardiner and King are around. I asked him does he see himself as a forward or a ruckmen in the immediate future and he said he will be playing ruck for as long as he can, but knows it is hard to break into the lineup with 2 All Australian ruckmen at the saints, is learning his craft off the best. Will be happy to get games whenever but will dot he team thing and play where needed- ultimately in the ruck

Raph Clarke- Has his body right and knows he will play 22 games next year , i asked why not 25 and he said that is what he meant....Also asked if he knew anything about Choo Choo and his speed- he said he would leave Junior Rioli in his wake

Eljay- Has put on 10kg since coming to the saints, not only has he done one lung but he punctured both, also had his shoulder reconstructed on, he blamed it on his build (pale, curly hair, pimples and skinny) he said Daniel Connors (Richmond) is his parents favourite son so wants to prove them wrong

Michael Gardiner- Enjoying his time at the saints, a very professional club.. This is the first time he has never had surgery in any off season so knows he can go around again

Only 3 from senior list not there- Paul Cahill, Al Smith and J Allen, all having surgery or cant fly

Only 3 rookies- Brad Howard, Blake McGrath and Khan were there

Asked about the attacking game plan (or lack of) many players said it wasnt that GT was a more attacking coach, the game is now different, it is now a running game and not a hard hitting game although big bodies help. A lot are losing KG's so they can run out games and keep the scores ticking over. The game plan will work, BJ said the Bulldogs are very attacking but are a lot smaller and hence why it is a different game, things will work with more skill, age and maturity!!

Urging all supporters to get on board

Joey said that twiglight games are the best, better for the players and are extremely happy with them. For those fans that say they hate them and will not show up are not real supporters. It suits me i can fly down from Brisbane more times than usual and be home the same day. He also said that as he wont eat lunch on an afternoon game and feels rushed to be ready after waking up that twilight games are the clubs preference!!!

PJ
SS Life Member

Impressive report Batnoe - very informative

Gives you a strong impression of how the players are feeling.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
sendmehomehappy
Club Player

Yes...a wonderful report Batnoe. Thanks so much.

So many insights..you were super busy.

What a great night you must have had while chatting to these guys about their issues, both obvious and subtle.

VietNam_Saint
Club Player

Thanks Batnoe, have no idea what your regular gig is , but perhaps a calling for an interviewer.

Ta mate

What will be next from this club ?
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Thanks batnoe

I will organise for joffaboy to buy you a beer when you come down for a game :lol: :wink: :lol: !!

bigmicka
Club Player

so how big is McGrath in person? Does he tower over already big men?

mic

No one ever built a statue for a critic.
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

bigmicka wrote:so how big is McGrath in person? Does he tower over already big men?

mic
If you can believe his 'statistics', at 208cms tall he is 3 cms shorter than Sandilands and about 8cms taller than King/McEvoy - about the same height as Warnock, but given his age he may well still grow taller!

Batnoe

Mr Magic wrote:
bigmicka wrote:so how big is McGrath in person? Does he tower over already big men?

mic
If you can believe his 'statistics', at 208cms tall he is 3 cms shorter than Sandilands and about 8cms taller than King/McEvoy - about the same height as Warnock, but given his age he may well still grow taller!

McGrath feels gigantic, he is very skinny and is very raw, will not play a game for 3 years if he is still around a very long term prospect.

McEvoy looks huge, he has bulked up and feels more intimidating standing next to than Gardiner...I would have thought that McEvoy was closer to Mcgrath's height (he said his parents werent tall, his mum is 6'1 and his dad 6'2) makes you wonder how you can have a kid that is 6'8

Khan is actully quite tall as well, will never be a ruckman but if his skills were alright a perfect height for CHF, CHB

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

great report Batnoe. Thanks for that.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Thanks heaps Batnoe - great to get the players view (even the public one!)

8bloggs
Club Player

Great work

Thanks for the update Batnoe, great to hear the opinions of the guys.
Can you tell what is what about Kossie that influenced your opinion?
Cheers.

Quixote
SS Life Member

Cheers mate, thanks for that.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Fantastic stuff batnoe, thanks for that

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Batnoe

Re: Great work

8bloggs wrote:Thanks for the update Batnoe, great to hear the opinions of the guys.
Cheers.

Nothing in particular, i tried to stay away from the more popular ones except to get a photo with them as everyone wanted a chat with them. I wanted 2 photos with Kosi and Roo... he took one and took off, i asked him back for the other one and he just rolled his eyes all while Roo was still there- the only reason i wanted 2 was with me and my gf and me and a mate, not too hard to ask, it was 30 secs of his time....

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Re: Great work

Batnoe wrote:
8bloggs wrote:Thanks for the update Batnoe, great to hear the opinions of the guys.
Cheers.

Nothing in particular, i tried to stay away from the more popular ones except to get a photo with them as everyone wanted a chat with them. I wanted 2 photos with Kosi and Roo... he took one and took off, i asked him back for the other one and he just rolled his eyes all while Roo was still there- the only reason i wanted 2 was with me and my gf and me and a mate, not too hard to ask, it was 30 secs of his time....
That's half the problem with Kosi IMO, he doesn't seem to want to be anywhere. He even admitted as such during the 2006 season. I know there's a difference between on-field attitude and fraternising with the great unwashed, but I certainly hope he doesn't take his onfield performance as flippantly as his demeanour with the fans.

Interesting to hear Ray and Gram both wanting a spot in the centre...sounds like there'll be some heat on guys in the middle to keep their performances up this year.

Nice to hear some positive news on players the are actually IN our team! Can't wait to hear rookie and newbie training reports too.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Great reports batnoe!

Cheers, mate.

Batnoe

I also asked if they check out saintsational, a lot said they have but not anymore, not only does hearing stuff about themselves make them sad and depressed but hearing things about their mates and team mates also make them sad- so most dont check this site anymore

milney044
Club Player

Cheers for the report Batnoe, great stuff!
I have also found Kosi unapproachable, comes across as pretty much can't be stuffed, doesn't have the time of day. I don't know if that's just Kosi though, i think that's just the way he is. Plus i've heard him say regularly that he doesn't feel like he's done anything special in his career so perhaps is sick of all the attention when he feels it is unwarranted?
What ever the reason, he stands alone because in general i find our boys well mannered and easy to talk to and unless they have an appointment they are quite happy to give up some time for the fans.
I understand when players are rude when attempting to get into their cars or out in public, but at a club function they are expected to be on their best behaviour. It is a credit to them because 99% of them are- this is not the case at all clubs.

Destiny. It's in our hands.

Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Batnoe wrote:I also asked if they check out saintsational, a lot said they have but not anymore, not only does hearing stuff about themselves make them sad and depressed but hearing things about their mates and team mates also make them sad- so most dont check this site anymore
I'd imagine they'd have quickly jumped off when they saw a lot of the rubbish that was directed at Raph early last season for a start! The only thing worse than seeing nasty stuff written about your team-mates or yourself, would be having no recourse to do anything about it (other than onfield performance - but in the case of Raph last year, that wasn't entirely possible).
Last edited by degruch on Thu 18 Dec 2008 3:51pm, edited 1 time in total.

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

Great Post, Batnoe...

You truly are a legend for that...

Best thread on the site so far

Cheers.. :D

Quixote
SS Life Member

milney044 wrote:RE KOSI:

Plus i've heard him say regularly that he doesn't feel like he's done anything special in his career so perhaps is sick of all the attention when he feels it is unwarranted?

Good insight, and I sincerely hope that it's true. Otherwise we've got a white elephant on our hands.

2009 a big year for JK.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
sendmehomehappy
Club Player

Kosi doesn't seem to be the arrogant type...from what I've heard or read.

Perhaps he was disinterested, having a bad night or really had something much better to do.

Or ...he is suffering a chronic form of embarrassment from what he sees as a bunch of unrealistic hero worshippers...let's hope so, and let's hope he can channel this into consistent good form next year...

I think this is Kosi's last year as an underachiever at St. Kilda....even in a reduced draft in 2010, good dp's for him or a trade will still be available whereas that will not be the case in 2-3 years when he is 28+

Come on Kosi...we need you back to your best!

Raven
Club Player

It must be frustrating for Kosi, heaps of pressure - he's the number 2 pick after Roo as number 1, and he's kind of expected to live up to the same standard. Look how far Roo has gone; he's viewed as a true superstar of the competition, club captain, multiple best and fairest winner, etc. Kosi must feel like he's second fiddle, especially when they both go for the big mark and Roo gets it over him in the contest.

I wouldn't really blame him if he has a bit of a chip on his shoulder. Not saying he does... but yeah.

jays
Club Player

great report thanks

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

great report, hope none of it is news to other clubs.....

As for Joey, he really needs to have a kid or two....only then will he realise that a 2pm start time is plenty late enough :lol: :lol: :lol:

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.