NAB Cup Squad - Rookie Inclusions

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbart
Club Player

NAB Cup Squad - Rookie Inclusions

Still a long way off I know (around 6 or 7 weeks), but I was wondering if the AFL have some rule regarding rookie inclusions in the NAB Cup. Are clubs made to include a minimum amount of rookies in their squad lists for Round 1 of the NAB Cup?

And what is everyone's thoughts on which of our 9 rookies should be included in our Round 1 squad. By memory, I think the squad size is something like 25??

I would definitely not play anyone that had the slightest niggle, probably Hudgeton could be left out. But I think, if 100% fit, we definitely need some game time for Maguire, Baker, and then the kids. Thoughts?

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

I thought I'd read that the AFL initally said that the NAB would be 'under 23' or somehting like that- but some clubs - who actually take the series seriously didn't like it- so no age or experience restriction was now going to be needed.
Last edited by saintbrat on Wed 17 Dec 2008 11:07pm, edited 1 time in total.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
PJ
SS Life Member

Am yet to see Khan Haretuku. Miles could get a gig and might challenge Dawson for next cab off the rank if he can step up for the back line.

Pretty interested to see how Gaertner goes. Others look a little green.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Re: NAB Cup Squad - Rookie Inclusions

saintbart wrote:Still a long way off I know (around 6 or 7 weeks), but I was wondering if the AFL have some rule regarding rookie inclusions in the NAB Cup. Are clubs made to include a minimum amount of rookies in their squad lists for Round 1 of the NAB Cup?

And what is everyone's thoughts on which of our 9 rookies should be included in our Round 1 squad. By memory, I think the squad size is something like 25??

I would definitely not play anyone that had the slightest niggle, probably Hudgeton could be left out. But I think, if 100% fit, we definitely need some game time for Maguire, Baker, and then the kids. Thoughts?
bro, you make too much sense for this site, go off and start your own forum :idea:

One would think there is no restrictions on the amount of rookies played..

And one would think that some senior players would be rested in the initial stages of the competition...

I would doubt for example that Max would be there in our first match and if we win I would still doubt he he will be there in the next match, but that's just my opinion

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
markinUSA
SS Life Member

I imagine the club would also be reluctant to throw Luke Ball into the fray too early because of his injury history, and may even be careful with other players who've had some sort of soft tissue or hamgstring issues in the past. I don't know... but for mine, I'd be careful with Lenny and perhaps even Roo. Though they were great at the end of the year, it's a long season and you don't want to strain your senior players too much.

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
True Blue Sainter
Club Player

St Fidelius wrote:
saintbart wrote:Still a long way off I know (around 6 or 7 weeks), but I was wondering if the AFL have some rule regarding rookie inclusions in the NAB Cup. Are clubs made to include a minimum amount of rookies in their squad lists for Round 1 of the NAB Cup?

bro, you make too much sense for this site, go off and start your own forum :idea:

And one would think that some senior players would be rested in the initial stages of the competition...

I would doubt for example that Max would be there in our first match and if we win I would still doubt he he will be there in the next match, but that's just my opinion
Think you're right St. Fid.

That's generally the way we've approached the NAB Cup in the last couple of years - a few more youngsters play in the first couple of weeks, and when we make the final, we generally include a close to full-strength team. It's a good system.

The Saints are coming!
Batnoe

St Fidelius wrote:

Sorry if i am wrong but i think Saintbrat is a lady, i have seen a few posts referring as a male but i thought was female- Bratty please help me

saintly
Saintsational Legend

The afl was going to bring in restrictions for the NAB cup , but changed its mind when the clubs complained!

so no restrictions on age, or the number of rookies. From my memory, you can have 6 on the interchange.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Batnoe wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:

Sorry if i am wrong but i think Saintbrat is a lady, i have seen a few posts referring as a male but i thought was female- Bratty please help me
Yes saintBRat is a lady..but saintBArt isnt :-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
stinger
Saintsational Legend

PJ wrote:Am yet to see Khan Haretuku. Miles could get a gig and might challenge Dawson for next cab off the rank if he can step up for the back line.

Pretty interested to see how Gaertner goes. Others look a little green.

yes...miles is one to watch.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Win or lose we play at least 3 pre-season games. Was it last season or the one before when every fit player on our list including rookies got a run? Great idea I thought, and all the youngsters performed well. I hope we do something similar this coming season.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Win or lose we play at least 3 pre-season games. Was it last season or the one before when every fit player on our list including rookies got a run? Great idea I thought, and all the youngsters performed well. I hope we do something similar this coming season.
There's also practice matches (if we drop out of the NAB Cup), so I'm sure most guys (if not all) will get a run this season.

PJ
SS Life Member

I think one of the interesting ones will be....do you give Gardy some much needed game time or do you blood a few like Stanley & McGrath?

Then there's Ben McE is he ready for a shot.

King only needs a couple of games.

The question this also raises is what are the ruck set ups going to be

King & Gardi with Kosi in the forward line (is this too top heavy, none of them are really quick)

or

King changing with Kosi and the introduction of a forward ... e.g. Tom, Cahill

Who steps up over summer could change the whole balance of the side

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

The ones I'm keen to see in action are
Miles - Looked a genuine AFL prospect in his one game last year
McEvoy - Could be ready for a third tall/support ruckman role
Howard - Hopefully we can see why we signed him on a 2 year deal
Lynch - Is he AFL-ready?
Dawson - Is he a decent backup or should Gilbert/Blake be our backups for Max?

I wouldn't be expecting anything from Haretuku, Stanley, McGrath, Connors or Tungalasomething yet.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:I thought I'd read that the AFL initally said that the NAB would be 'under 23' or somehting like that- but some clubs - who actually take the series seriously didn't like it- so no age or experience restriction was now going to be needed.
I dont think the clubs had any problems with the idea. The AFl mooted the ida of a minimum number of rookies. Then realised they would look dumb and offend nAB if they dod not live up to their mnatra that it was a serious comp. Especially after what they did to roos last year. A typical AFL stuff -up.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:I thought I'd read that the AFL initally said that the NAB would be 'under 23' or somehting like that- but some clubs - who actually take the series seriously didn't like it- so no age or experience restriction was now going to be needed.
Now that Benny is a Tiger, I bet the AFL are glad they didn't introduce the Under 23 rule....but I guess they could make a special exemption if needed :evil:

Anyway, who really cares if it's under 23, open age, whatever.....they are praccy matches.

Last year I think some of the rookies could play, but might have been squeezed out by the the fact our bottom 12 on the main list pretty much all played, and some of the senior players needed some match practice as well.

Perhaps they should have allow 18 on the bench, so nearly every player gets a game.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
I dont think the clubs had any problems with the idea. The AFl mooted the ida of a minimum number of rookies. Then realised they would look dumb and offend nAB if they dod not live up to their mnatra that it was a serious comp. Especially after what they did to roos last year. A typical AFL stuff -up.
Whatever Dimwit does, the nab cup is a practice match tournament.

End of story!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Quixote
SS Life Member

mad saint guy wrote:The ones I'm keen to see in action are
Lynch - Is he AFL-ready?

I wouldn't be expecting anything from Haretuku, Stanley, McGrath, Connors or Tungalasomething yet.
Yeah... I'm thinking similar.

Miles - did he play a game last year - or do you mean VFL?

Ben Mac - Is now in competition with a few other youngies for the 3rd tall FWD option for mine. Don't think they've got him earmarked for ruck.

Lynch - Really hope he's AFL ready. Realistically though, not sure...

Dawson - Could be the one. Wouldn't be surprised to see him a) Elevated and b) Used in the forward line.

And you can add Nick Heyne to the list of keen to see. And David Armitage to the list of keen to see playing well. And Luke Ball to the list of keen to see free running and fit.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
Saints94
SS Life Member

Dawson up in the forward line sounds like a great idea to me.......

only for the nab cup though :wink:

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Quixote wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:The ones I'm keen to see in action are
Lynch - Is he AFL-ready?

Yeah... I'm thinking similar.

Miles - did he play a game last year - or do you mean VFL?

Ben Mac - Is now in competition with a few other youngies for the 3rd tall FWD option for mine. Don't think they've got him earmarked for ruck.

Lynch - Really hope he's AFL ready. Realistically though, not sure...

Dawson - Could be the one. Wouldn't be surprised to see him a) Elevated and b) Used in the forward line.

And you can add Nick Heyne to the list of keen to see. And David Armitage to the list of keen to see playing well. And Luke Ball to the list of keen to see free running and fit.
..add Jack Steven to that list too

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor