Burgatron's Phantom Draft

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Burgatron's Phantom Draft

Burgo's Phantom draft is up now.

http://www.afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/ ... wsId=70169

Not particularly happy with his Saints' selections-

#13 Sam Blease
#47 Steven Gaertner
#48 Matt DeBoer
#62 Taylor Hunt
#74 Luke Lowden
#83 Nathan Carroll

undecided
Club Player

Jack Watts is probably right the rest im not sure about, lol

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Didn't have time to say why I wasn't happy before but here goes;

Blease- This one is ok as Sam has plenty of pace & very good skills. He's very light at present & is one that you would call an 'outside' mid.

Would prefer Swift, Shoenmakers. Hope Hill, Sidebottom, etc fall.

Gaertner- A gun athlete who is 6'8 and runs like the wind. Huge question marks over his skills though. We know our achilles heel is poor disposal. We simply need blokes with skill.

DeBoer- Ball magnet who also has questionable skills. I don't mind this pick but the skill issue is a worry.

Would prefer any of Rhys O'Keefe, Adam Cockie, Alastair Smith, Neville Jetta.

Taylor Hunt- Don't mind this selection

Luke Lowden- Haven't seen him. Project ruckman

Nathan Carroll- A waste of time. Apparently we have a youth policy but I'm sure that will go out the window soon enough.

adobe
Club Player

Re: Burgatron's Phantom Draft

Animal Enclosure wrote:Burgo's Phantom draft is up now.

#13 Sam Blease
#47 Steven Gaertner
#48 Matt DeBoer
#62 Taylor Hunt
#74 Luke Lowden
#83 Nathan Carroll
Alex. Silvagni for Carroll anyday

undecided
Club Player

Re: Burgatron's Phantom Draft

adobe wrote:
Animal Enclosure wrote:Burgo's Phantom draft is up now.

#13 Sam Blease
#47 Steven Gaertner
#48 Matt DeBoer
#62 Taylor Hunt
#74 Luke Lowden
#83 Nathan Carroll
Alex. Silvagni for Carroll anyday
i think well get him in the rookie draft

undecided
Club Player

i hope we dont keep going with ross lyons 4 year development plan b/c we could potentially draft a lot of duds this year
Last edited by undecided on Wed 26 Nov 2008 4:53pm, edited 1 time in total.

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

I'd like to think someone better may slip rather than Blease. I do like his speed and carry but he doesn't get it enough. He visibly looks very angry if he ever loses in a contest which is a good thing as well.

De Boer is another good pick for the third round imo but the rest isn't really great to be honest, Hunt is a fair prospect though.

If we pass on O'Keeffe with a third round pick I will go us nuts as I would if we passed on Yarran if he happened to slip past 13. He cries out exactly what we need, stunning skills.

Not the best draft for us really.

Note that he has us linked to the following players:

Steele Sidebottom
Sam Blease
Jackson Trengove
Tom Lynch
Jordan Roughead
Tom Swift
Jaydn Post
Nick Suban
Tom Gillies
Steven Gaertner
Liam Shiels
Luke Lowden
Campbell Heath
Brayden O'Hara
Alex Stopp
Tim Ruffles
Tom Hill
Rohan Bail
Will Young
Luke Thompson
Last edited by SaintBot on Wed 26 Nov 2008 6:44pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saintersss
Club Player

I'm not liking that draft to much either...

I'm really hoping Yarran falls to us, not likely, but theres a chance. And if not Yarren I hope we snatch Trengove.

For our third round picks, Deboer ain't bad, but i would love sloane there as well.

And a ruckman is a good idea with our 4th pick.

And with our last two picks: Silvangi and Carrol.

undecided
Club Player

after our excuse on why we didn't get BC i don't see how we can get Carrol

Art Vandelay
Club Player

If Matt Burgatron's Phantom Draft works out to be on the mark for the St.KFC, I for one will be gutted.
Other than Sam Blease all of our other choices will be speculative at best.
I still can't believe we gave up our second round choice for Farren Ray. Given he was going to walk anyway, we should have offered the Doggies our 4th round and said "take it or leave it".
Let's hope John Peake and John Beveridge don't c**k up this draft as they have over the last two years.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Art Vandelay wrote:If Matt Burgatron's Phantom Draft works out to be on the mark for the St.KFC, I for one will be gutted.
I still can't believe we gave up our second round choice for Farren Ray. Given he was going to walk anyway, we should have offered the Doggies our 4th round and said "take it or leave it".
Let's hope John Peake and John Beveridge don't c**k up this draft as they have over the last two years.
3nd and 4th round..speculative?? surely you jest :roll:

Would be intersted in hearing your reasoning as to why you think, just 12 measly months down the track, why last years draft was a c**k up?

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:If Matt Burgatron's Phantom Draft works out to be on the mark for the St.KFC, I for one will be gutted.
3nd and 4th round..speculative?? surely you jest :roll:

Would be intersted in hearing your reasoning as to why you think, just 12 measly months down the track, why last years draft was a c**k up?
Dont hold your breath.

Animal Enclosure at least made an attempt to give reason for not liking some potential dps, the others, well know three fifths of FA and are just making big statements.

Fair Dinkum because we dont take a drug addicted midfielder we cant cant take a key backman because, as we all can see, the circumstances are exactly the same :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Steven Gaertner although lacks a bit in disposal he looks to be a good mark and loves to run...

at 199cm and 87 kilos at 18 I reckon a great pick up at pick #47...
Bio: Gaertner is an athletic tall with pace and an outstanding aerobic capacity. He is at home playing at centre half-back, with an ability to go forward or use his outstanding leap in the ruck. Gaertner was an AIS/AFL Academy graduate in 2007.
here is a link to some footage...

http://bigpondvideo.com/AFLTV/90220

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
Steven Gaertner although lacks a bit in disposal he looks to be a good mark and loves to run...

Bio: Gaertner is an athletic tall with pace and an outstanding aerobic capacity. He is at home playing at centre half-back, with an ability to go forward or use his outstanding leap in the ruck. Gaertner was an AIS/AFL Academy graduate in 2007.

Interesting Fid. We really need a CHB. Goose may not come up and someone of pace and height in that key position would be something invaluable in our backline.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
jays
Club Player

doesnt look to bad could be ok

vacuous space
SS Life Member

I don't want to spam on Blease, but I just don't see why he's rated above Ash Smith and Nick Heyne. I also don't get why we'd consider Lynch or Roughead ahead of McKernan. If we get Blease, it's hardly a disaster, because he's exciting and creative. My problem is I think there are better players who bring the same to the table and more.

I'd be surprised if we used picks 47 and 48 on older players with disposal issues. I wouldn't be at all against adding Gaertner. He's enormous and athletic. If he plays as a key defender his disposal won't be that much of a worry. I don't think DeBoer is a great match for us, but I'm not sure he'll last to our second pick anyway. We could do a lot worse than him though. He should be an AFL midfielder.

The Hunt and Lowden picks don't bother me either. Lowden is exactly the sort of player I think we'll go after with our later picks. Bottom age, raw, and high-end piotential if he comes good. I don't see the need for Carroll, but if we're going to take him, using pick 83 on him is hardly a disaster. It's not a bad draft, it's just not an exciting one.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Just remember vacuous space, this is not what the Club thinks, they may have a totally different perspective...

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:

Interesting Fid. We really need a CHB. Goose may not come up and someone of pace and height in that key position would be something invaluable in our backline.
Yeah, at 199cm he is a good size, and bear in mind that not too many talls are that good by foot, but at 19 next Jan, I feel he will improve a little...

Yes, it is pure speculation and at our second pick (bearing in mind the third round) I would be happy with that selection.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

St Fidelius wrote:Just remember vacuous space, this is not what the Club thinks, they may have a totally different perspective...
It will be interesting to see which of the six guys (if any) are on that list of players he linked us to. He doesn't have a great record of getting the Saints picks right.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

As far as potential CHB's go, we were one of two clubs that had Hamish Shepherd put up for the W.A. SS. We must be interested in him. At 195cm he is a CHB.

Art Vandelay
Club Player

For a bloke who stands almost 2 metres tall, he doesn't seem to take many pack marks. If he is so good, why was he overlooked in last years draft? Even as a rookie selection?

saintDal
Club Player

Does anyone know what time the draft starts?

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

saintDal wrote:Does anyone know what time the draft starts?
10 am i think

sainterjo
Club Player

Art Vandelay wrote:For a bloke who stands almost 2 metres tall, he doesn't seem to take many pack marks. If he is so good, why was he overlooked in last years draft? Even as a rookie selection?

Too young to be rookied last year.

YarranYarranYarranYarranYarranYarranYarranYarran....fingers, legs and eyes crossed!

They will not grow old, as those from more northern States grow old.
For them it will always be three-quarter-time, with the scores level
and the wind advantage in the final term.
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Yarran, Swift or Sidebottom please!

Gaertner has improved considerably this season footy skill wise (I'm not sure if he took up footy late & he's still learning the caper). Last year he was a great athlete who struggled to get to the right spots & then do something with it when he got it.

He really is an interesting one as he can play on a wing, CHB, in the ruck or even as a 3rd option. His marking has improved but he isn't a huge pack mark (not that there's too many packs these days anyway). He could be an athletic match up for Buddy but whether he'd get done in in footy smarts is the query).

Definitely worth a 3rd-4th rounder IMO.