Ben to nominate - National Draft

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Ben to nominate - National Draft

Good luck to him
AFL website:

BEN COUSINS has nominated for both Saturday's NAB AFL Draft and December's NAB AFL Pre-season Draft.

Cousins' status was in doubt after St Kilda announced on Tuesday night that it would not pursue drafting the former West Coast captain and Brownlow medallist, leaving only the Brisbane Lions in contention.

But on Wednesday his management company, Flying Start, issued a statement from Cousins confirming he had nominated for both drafts.

"As part of my ongoing rehabilitation it was my goal to nominate for the 2008 AFL National and Pre-Season Drafts.

"I wish to clarify that at no stage did I say that I would not play football again following the conditions set down by the AFL Commission; while they are onerous they are understandable and achievable.

"I hope to get the opportunity to return to the game that I love. Playing football at the highest level again is an important part of my ongoing rehabilitation and I believe that I can be a valuable contributor at an AFL club."

Cousins was de-registered by the AFL last year after admitting to substance abuse and drug addiction, but was earlier this month cleared to play again.

There is now speculation that the Lions will not select Cousins at Saturday's draft meeting, but will continue to monitor his progress with a view to selecting him in the Pre-Season Draft.

saint4life
Batnoe

Could it be that we say we're not interested so we dont have to use a top pick an dLions assume they are the only ones that want him and wait until pick 70, then we pick him up with pick 62?

PLUGGER14
Club Player

Batnoe wrote:Could it be that we say we're not interested so we dont have to use a top pick an dLions assume they are the only ones that want him and wait until pick 70, then we pick him up with pick 62?
Straw clutching?? :wink:

plumtire
Club Player

Ben to nominate

To recruit him in this way would make us more of a laughing stock than ever!

james rose
Club Player

I don't think it would make us a laughing stock, but I don't think it's likely either

plumtire
Club Player

Ben to nominate

You ARE joking? if we were to go via the national draft after coming out with the "No further interest" bit how else would we appear???

Joey
Club Player

if these were our intentions then we wouldn't have made a statement saying that we wouldn't persue him.

it just makes the club look a bit stupid if we go and draft him now.

A champion is not defined by a number of wins, but by the courage shown to get up when your down
matrix
Saintsational Legend

..and that he waxed up as a red herring to throw Brisbane off the scent and we snap him up.... and the story comes out in his docco which the saints get a percentage of, and spend the money in developing youth for when he has retired.
The docco is about leaving one life behind to start afresh, beating an addiction and getting the ultimate prize in afl footy, totally clean and respectfully and delivering the saints there first premiership since '66.

we go onto the future being a powerhouse side, knowing we have members support, while constantly applying Total Quality Management Practice to the st kilda fc.....ever improving.

then i woke up and my pillow was gone :?

Joey
Club Player

On SEN they're saying he's nominated for the Pre-Season draft

A champion is not defined by a number of wins, but by the courage shown to get up when your down
Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

Good luck with that Benny boy. I reckon ive got more chance of being drafted than him

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
undecided
Club Player

i don't think he would have nominated for the ND after yesterday unless he was certain of being picked up and i don't think Brisbane are at the stage of making that decision so i think he would have nominated for the PSD
Last edited by undecided on Wed 26 Nov 2008 2:39pm, edited 1 time in total.

FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

undecided wrote:i don't think he would of nominated for the ND after yesterday unless he was certain of being picked up and i don't think Brisbane are at the stage of making that decision so i think he would of nominated for the PSD
Is this a Collingwood forum?

Would HAVE... :) :)

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

if anyone has the ego to draft him it is voss. i would not be even slightly surprised to see him up there.

he could live on the gold coast and go surfing. ham it up in the sun with GC Titans and the new a league team. hang out with the broncos and andy symonds. getting a guest spot on "the strip". im telling ya. BC has queensland written all over him. i can see it. i really can.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Wed 26 Nov 2008 4:11pm, edited 1 time in total.

undecided
Club Player

if he had nominated for the ND u would think it would be on the AFL site by now so im ashuming hes going to nominate for the PSD

chook23
Saintsational Legend

confirmed

Nominated for National

if not selected Sat

also nominated PSD

saint4life
undecided
Club Player

confirmed from where

i found this article
THE Brisbane Lions won't recruit fallen Eagle Ben Cousins via Saturday's national draft but could still sign the former Brownlow Medallist.

Cousins has until 2pm to inform the AFL whether he intends to nominate for Saturday's national draft.

Regardless of Cousins' decision, the Lions are expected to announce this afternoon they have no interest in using a national draft selection to bring him to Brisbane.

But the club will continue to monitor the situation in the coming weeks in case Cousins, whose whose career stalled following his battle with a drug addiction, is still available in December's pre-season draft.

The Lions are the only remaining club to disclose interest in reviving the career of the ex-West Coast premiership star, after front-runner St Kilda last night pulled out of the race to
maybe our master plan to draft cousins with our last pick is working, lol

Richter
SS Life Member

Go on Ross, pick him with pick 80! Or even better pick 96! I dare you!

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
undecided
Club Player

go with pick 127, lol

Richter
SS Life Member

What are our picks btw, anyone know?

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
undecided
Club Player

i got no idea but i read it somewhere on the AFL website.

Gilbert=Legend

Batnoe wrote:Could it be that we say we're not interested so we dont have to use a top pick an dLions assume they are the only ones that want him and wait until pick 70, then we pick him up with pick 62?
My thoughts as well,

but what i thought was that brisbane will wait to the pre season draft as they think no one will pick him up in the national draft. giving us no competition in the national draft

Seems very unlikely

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

May a club with a culture stronger than ours pick you up, Benny.

Clearly, ours wasn't strong enough.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

undecided
Club Player

evertonfc wrote:May a club with a culture stronger than ours pick you up, Benny.

Clearly, ours wasn't strong enough.
ours is as strong as any, jeld wen probaly had a fair say in not getting benny