Caro article says it all on cousins decision

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kaos theory
Club Player

Caro article says it all on cousins decision

Pretty much a good summary, and some of the points I raised last night...

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/s ... 48054.html

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Re: Caro article says it all on cousins decision

kaos theory wrote:Pretty much a good summary, and some of the points I raised last night...

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/s ... 48054.html
Why would the board tell her ALL THE SO CALLED REASONS/FACTS

saint4life
kaos theory
Club Player

I doubt the club told her everything explicitly, but there would have been many 'off the record' snippets of information form different sources, and she would have been snooping around & joining the dots, etc....

Also, it’s a way for club to get its reasons for a decision out into the public, without been directly accused of doing so.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

kaos theory wrote:
I doubt the club told her everything explicitly, but there would have been many 'off the record' snippets of information form different sources, and she would have been snooping around & joining the dots, etc....

Also, it’s a way for club to get its reasons for a decision out into the public, without been directly accused of doing so.
like a lot of journos

a lot of guessing

just like those that had him a certain pick up

papers/media....................... :roll:

saint4life
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:
kaos theory wrote:

like a lot of journos

a lot of guessing

papers....................... :roll:
I agree

A lot of speculation & hope

not much substance !!

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Obviously she is not going to reveal her sources however she could be easily second guessing some of these so called reasons as to why we rejected Cousins

The fact that he is still associating with known crims and that he didn't or made it impossible to submit to a hair test rings alarm bells

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
St Igmata
Club Player

chook23 wrote:
kaos theory wrote:

like a lot of journos

a lot of guessing

papers/media....................... :roll:
Their source is Pilgram

chook23
Saintsational Legend

even if a little was passed on to Caro

why go then with spin to the members

saint4life
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

kaos theory wrote:

Geez - Rod Butterss was hung drawn and quartered for allegedly leaking infor to Caro. Wonder if Westaway will get the same scrutiny????

Caro has journalistic craft. As quoted above she would have got a snippett here and there and joined the dots.

If the bit about Rossy having serious misgivings is a fact....well there is not much else to say is there?

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:even if a little was passed on to Caro

why go then with spin to the members
Why not? It is the clubs "official" position. The story from Caro is just that, a story.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
chook23
Saintsational Legend

Who is Westaway

saint4life
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

chook23 wrote:Who is Westaway
Good question. Too bad more didn't ask that this time last year when Footy First was the new messiah and Westaway was the white knight :roll:

Lance or James??

repta
Club Player

Not to mention the GREED factor. Why should the Saints have to reorganise players contracts for Cousins. Best possible deal should be 2 years, minimum plus reasonable (to good) game payments. Nothing more.
Still cant believe the Saints considered betting their future (premiership points, sponsors, draft picks etc etc) on a drug addict with a dodgy hamstring (because the Saints dont have enough problems with hamstrings).

chook23
Saintsational Legend

repta wrote:Not to mention the GREED factor. Why should the Saints have to reorganise players contracts for Cousins. Best possible deal should be 2 years, minimum plus reasonable (to good) game payments. Nothing more.
Still cant believe the Saints considered betting their future (premiership points, sponsors, draft picks etc etc) on a drug addict with a dodgy hamstring (because the Saints dont have enough problems with hamstrings).
where did you get your facts from on contracts!!!!
:roll:

saint4life
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

st kilda rejected him because its major sponsor, Jeld-Wen, had notified the club early yesterday that it had major — read major — concerns at the prospect of recruiting the risky drug addict.

It rejected him because the club's coach, Ross Lyon, despite protestations from Cousins' manager, Ricky Nixon, harboured serious misgivings about the player, his potential and his effect on the team.
so the coach didn't want him and the major sponsor didn't want him.

caro's mail is usually pretty accurate, which is why she's been regarded for many years as the best "boardroom" football journalist in town.
Last edited by bigcarl on Wed 26 Nov 2008 11:27pm, edited 1 time in total.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
st kilda rejected him because its major sponsor, Jeld-Wen, had notified the club early yesterday that it had major — read major — concerns at the prospect of recruiting the risky drug addict.

It rejected him because the club's coach, Ross Lyon, despite protestations from Cousins' manager, Ricky Nixon, harboured serious misgivings about the player, his potential and his effect on the team.

caro's mail is usually pretty accurate, which is why she's been regarded for many years as the best "boardroom" football journalists in town.
so why the rubbish press release last night then.........

and the spin from Archie

treating members with contempt

saint4life
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

chook23 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

caro's mail is usually pretty accurate, which is why she's been regarded for many years as the best "boardroom" football journalists in town.

and the spin from Archie

Why the constant harrassment of AF?

The club chose an "official" line in that it decided that BC wouldn't be right for the club.

Was this incorrect? Most likely. If CAro was right, then we made the right call.. which is all that matters.

If AF came out and stated the same reasons, I suspect it would leave the club vulnerable to legal action because it would put any other club "off" recruiting BC.

Sometimes, less is more. :wink:

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
Joey
Club Player

chook23 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

and the spin from Archie

But lets imagine the club has other info on Ben thats no so positive, isn't the right thing to do is keep it private and not damage the guys reputation even more. Let alone the possiblity of being sued for damaging his name.

The club made their decision on all the information they had and now we have to trust them and move on.

A champion is not defined by a number of wins, but by the courage shown to get up when your down
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
chook23 wrote:
kaos theory wrote:

like a lot of journos

a lot of guessing

papers....................... :roll:
I agree

A lot of speculation & hope

not much substance !!
well it's a lot better than the crappolla the Scottish Git spun last night.

Well done Caro, even if only half of it is the actual facts, at least it gives some insight...

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Legendary
Club Player

Ok so the actual reasons for the decisions are as follows:
  • Jeld-Wen had serious reservations and concerns about Cousins being drafted; in the current economic climate their sponsorship is extremely valuable
  • Ross Lyon had serious misgivings about Cousins, his football ability and the impact he would have on the other players
  • Cousins failed to submit a hair test to the AFL, and this raised some doubts in the minds of some board members
  • Cousins had been hiding behind his manager and not speaking out himself, and this also raised some doubts in the minds of some board members
  • Cousins was still associating with several people considered unsavoury by the club
  • The club is serious about drafting young players and does not see a place for a 30-year old on the list

GrumpyOne

Legendary wrote:Ok so the actual reasons for the decisions are as follows:
  • Jeld-Wen had serious reservations and concerns about Cousins being drafted; in the current economic climate their sponsorship is extremely valuable
  • Ross Lyon had serious misgivings about Cousins, his football ability and the impact he would have on the other players
  • Cousins failed to submit a hair test to the AFL, and this raised some doubts in the minds of some board members
  • Cousins had been hiding behind his manager and not speaking out himself, and this also raised some doubts in the minds of some board members
  • Cousins was still associating with several people considered unsavoury by the club
  • The club is serious about drafting young players and does not see a place for a 30-year old on the list
Sounds like a sound combination of reasons IMHO.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:
Legendary wrote:Ok so the actual reasons for the decisions are as follows:
Sounds like a sound combination of reasons IMHO.
The one point that kind of annoys me, is the hiding behind his manager. Because when he fronts the camera's and puts on a brave face, we are all so understanding... :roll:

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote: [*] The club is serious about drafting young players and does not see a place for a 30-year old on the list[/list]
When did this strategy come in??

Has anyone told Ross Lyon about this yet?

Quixote
SS Life Member

Poster JOEY above is correct - Club should not come out and say these things.

Of all the reasons why we didn't get him, I reckon these three are the biggest:

* RL didn't want him

* Cousins wanted more money than we could afford (possibly as a result of Michael Voss's hand in the equation)

* Sponsorship misgivings

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Joey wrote:
chook23 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

and the spin from Archie

But lets imagine the club has other info on Ben thats no so positive, isn't the right thing to do is keep it private and not damage the guys reputation even more. Let alone the possiblity of being sued for damaging his name.

The club made their decision on all the information they had and now we have to trust them and move on.
What absolute twaddle Joey.

We posters, who know none of the facts, know better than the Board.
Afterall, BC was a champion footballer 12 months ago and he's 'omg hot'.

That should be sufficient for the idiots on the Board to approve us going for him.

We should ignore anything else that we've discovered/uncovered as its not relevant compared to
he was a champion player 12 months ago
he's omg hot.
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: