Cousins Salary Cap Issue

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ace
Saintsational Legend

Cousins Salary Cap Issue

Salary Cap problems again.
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/ ... 42,00.html
St Kilda risks being excluded from the pre-season draft because of salary cap constraint yet again. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Shortly after the main draft on Saturday 29 November all clubs must submit an update of their playing list and and details of their projected total player payments (Wednesday 3 December).
Based on these clubs which can not afford any more players can be excluded from the pre-season draft and rookie draft.

Year after year St Kilda is among only a few clubs that are excluded from the pre-season draft not because of lack of list vacancies but because of salary cap constraint.
It would be understandable if the club had won a couple of premierships but this playing group has won none.

St Kilda has 6 rookie positions to fill.
As each rookie is paid $33,200 under the AFL Collective Bargaining Agreement and each rookie counts at 50% against the total player payments, St Kilda needs to have a clear $99,600 to be able to fill all rookie positions.

It is amazing that the club is yet again in this difficult predicament given that the cap has been increased from $7,431,250 to $7,693,750 ($262,500 increase) and Aaron Hamill's massive rear ended contract was paid out this year.

It may be understandable if some young recruit had become a star but sadly recent drafts have produced nothing more than fringe players.
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Last edited by ace on Tue 25 Nov 2008 8:37am, edited 2 times in total.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
JeffDunne

Damian Barrett knows SFA about our cap situation.

ace
Saintsational Legend

If Brisbane seriously wants Cousins and Cousins wants to play for Brisbane all Cousins has to do is pass on the main draft.
He then nominates for the pre-season draft nominating a salary that St Kilda can't afford under its total player payments.
Last edited by ace on Tue 25 Nov 2008 9:14am, edited 1 time in total.

Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
chook23
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:Damian Barrett knows SFA about our cap situation.
agree

saint4life
B W and R all over
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Cousins Salary Cap Issue

Year after year St Kilda is among only a few clubs that are excluded from the pre-season draft not because of lack of list vacancies but because of salary cap constraint.
It would be understandable if the club had won a couple of premierships but this playing group has won none.
In the last 14 months Aaron Hamill, Robert Harvey and Fraser Gehrig have all retired. Wouldn't you think this might free up a bit of salary cap space?

25 minutes to make a name for yourself like you've never made before.
JeffDunne

Re: Cousins Salary Cap Issue

B W and R all over wrote:In the last 14 months Aaron Hamill, Robert Harvey and Fraser Gehrig have all retired. Wouldn't you think this might free up a bit of salary cap space?
Depends on their contract & any forward obligations but Harv's was on the veterans list & Fraser last year would have been on SFA so I would expect their retirements to have minimal effect.

Usually cap problems are a result of players earning/damanding payment increases.

I can't see how we'd have a problem.

Go Sainters Go
Club Player

You can be assured that the Club, in it's discussions/dealings with Cousins, would have reached agreement on salary level with him. If not, that would be the end of it - no deal and wouldn't even get to Board level.

I agree with JD in that Barret, a Collingwood nuff nuff, would have no idea what our current salary cap position is - I have greater confidence in the Club's knowledge of our cap position than anyone elses.

Once a "Saint" always a trueblooded "Saint"
undecided
Club Player

so do we have salary cap issues or not??? if we do we are really over paying some players

ace
Saintsational Legend

[quote="undecided"]so do we have salary cap issues or not??? if we do we are really over paying some players[/quote]

If we do have a salary cap problem then we are definitely definitely definitely over paying some players.

This group of players has not earned the right to max out against the salary cap.
They only earn that right by winning a premiership.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Harvey and Gehrig were both veterans so only half their player payments counted against the salary cap.

Also note that the cap has been increased by $262,500 for next year.
Which pansies earnt a pay rise. :roll: :roll: :roll:
As Riewoldt pointed out they were only 3 wins ahead of 11th place.
Last edited by ace on Tue 25 Nov 2008 9:24am, edited 1 time in total.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

undecided wrote:so do we have salary cap issues or not??? if we do we are really over paying some players
don't stress too much.....the Journos are having trouble finding another footy story at the moment remember....

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
older saint
SS Life Member

ace wrote:Harvey and Gehrig were both veterans so only half their player payments counted against the salary cap.

Also note that the cap has been increased by $262,500 for next year.
Which pansies earnt a pay rise. :roll: :roll: :roll:
As Riewoldt pointed out they were only 3 wins ahead of 11th place.
Gehrig wouldn't have been on verteran's list as have to play 10 years at the same club. I think Max was the other on veterans list. Fraser would ot have been on much anyways coming back how he did.

If theywant Cousins and Counsins wants to come they will juggle the numbers to make sure it happens ( and may have already started - Howard situation, Fiora delisted etc)

ace
Saintsational Legend

[quote="older saint"][Gehrig wouldn't have been on verteran's list as have to play 10 years at the same club. I think Max was the other on veterans list. Fraser would ot have been on much anyways coming back how he did.[/quote]

Yes you are right.
Harvey and Hudghton were our only veterans this year.
Gehrig's payments would have counted in full against the total player payments cap.

undecided
Club Player

ace wrote: Yes you are right.
Harvey and Hudghton were our only veterans this year.
Gehrig's payments would have counted in full against the total player payments cap.
wasnt he like getting paid the minimum tho

GrumpyOne

From another thread:

Nobody should take a pay cut to get Cousins to the club..

If the guy wants to get back into football that badly he should play the first season at base payments.

After he has proven himself in that first year then we'll negotiate a pay rate for future years.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

How can this Barrett rabbit have any idea about St.Kilda's salary cap and player payment situation when there are currently only 33 players on the senior list and 3 rookies??!!

If St.Kilda couldn't afford Ben Cousins, they wouldn't go after him. Simple as that.

FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

Beno88 wrote:How can this Barrett rabbit have any idea about St.Kilda's salary cap and player payment situation when there are currently only 33 players on the senior list and 3 rookies??!!

If St.Kilda couldn't afford Ben Cousins, they wouldn't go after him. Simple as that.
Whilst I agree that Damien Barrett probably knows SFA about our salary cap position, does anyone really believe that posters to this forum know any more?

Honestly guys... get a grip!!

SAINT JUMP
Club Player

bc should take whatever the saints offer him. without them he earns nothing. is it about money or playing with him.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

SAINT JUMP wrote:bc should take whatever the saints offer him. without them he earns nothing. is it about money or playing with him.
I think it would be about both, the guys loves footy....but we all need to worry about the financial side of things, that's just reality.

undecided
Club Player

hmmm, i could believe that we wwere close to the max b4 we delested some players but i cant see how we can be after the draft

SAINT JUMP
Club Player

well he should not of wasted so much of it. start paying bc, more than some other players worthy of it, will cause friction in the team.

markp
Saintsational Legend

As with the sponsor issue, if they didn't tick this box weeks or months ago as part of their 'due diligence' I'd be staggered... and those responsible should be taken out and shot.

SAINT JUMP
Club Player

wont it be nice, to go back to taking about the saints. sick of the bc threads. its been over done. wonder what all the other saints player are feeling, about all the bc shyte.

undecided
Club Player

markp wrote:As with the sponsor issue, if they didn't tick this box weeks or months ago as part of their 'due diligence' I'd be staggered... and those responsible should be taken out and shot.
there probably having second thoughts

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

I still don't trust Voss or the Lions camp over this. It'd be typical if they came in at the last minute and started a bidding war on him.

I thought I heard this morning that one of the Lions major sponsors had a real issue about Cousins and said they'd pull the pin if any advances were made on BC (I thought they confirmed a week or so ago that Cousins was out of the picture anyway???? Again, that's Voss for you- he'd be pushing for it like crazy!)

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!