Your all time favourite "GOP" for the Saints?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

happy feet
Club Player

another one

I would also like to nominate Paul Harding. Did a good job in the ruck against much taller opponents.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

He had his fair share of critics but I really liked Justin Plapp after he switched and became a backman.
Was a bit of a poor man's Brett Voss. Marked very well backing into the pack.

I'll never forget a game against Port just after GT started coaching. We were getting thumped in the midfield and Plapp just kept taking pack mark after pack mark in the back half.

We went into 1/2 down by about 7 goals and Plapp was swung forward after the break, kicked a few goals and got back into the match.

Ended up losing by just under 2 goals but it was a good effort for a struggling team.

I think a year later Plapp forced/demanded his way into the team late in the year in a bid to save his career
Came on in a game against the Bombers. Was looking in fine touch early and about 5min after he came on, backed into a pack and was crunched in the back... cracked a disc i think

ended the guys career.

Finished out his career playing very good footy with Tassie in the VFL

always liked the guy

Saints94
SS Life Member

Jason Blake for me he is a " Jack of all trades"

onlooker
Club Player

Re: another one

happy feet wrote:I would also like to nominate Paul Harding. Did a good job in the ruck against much taller opponents.
A polished player with good big man skills. Unfortunately the Saints couldn't hold him in Melb and went on to be the main follower in an Eagles Premiership side. A lot better than a GOP.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Andrew Thompson for mine.

GOP that plugs away for 200 consistent games, and sneaks in a B&F, that's what you want to see.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

SteveStevens66 wrote:He kicked 5 in '66 How many players in the history of the game have kicked half the total number of their team's goals in a GF? There can't be too many. And George Topping's 2 goals out of Carlton's 4 in the 1909 GF doesn't count for two reasons: (1) the overall score is ridiculously low and (2) it's Carlton

cough cough Ellen 97 and no one would call him a champion...

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

I'd go Jason Blake... mainly out of pure bloody mindedness. He won me over from detractor to admirer with effort and all round roleplaying.

I became a fan largely because of the degree of over the top, unfounded garbage gets directed his way on here. I enjoyed his '08 immensely.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Robert Ellphingstone...Now that man knew how to wear a mo.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

mark jackson - little skill but that ugly mug and some crazy antics on field and he became a celebrity - made the most out of his little ability!! (good fun to watch too - even if he was one player i preferred watching playing in a different guernsey) ...
Actually, looking back on his record i'm probably wrong about his ability - if he hadn't been such a wanking clown he may have been one of the greats!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Re: my nomination for gop

happy feet wrote:David Sierakowski was a GOP. My memory may be fading but I would also nominate Mordi Bromberg and Glen Elliott.
One of Seira's main claims to fame was when he was showing the boys how to do handbrake turns in his 4WD in the Waverley Carpark. His last effort resulting in his 4WD sliding sideways into a BMW that was approx 3 hours old and belonging to one Neil Elvis Winmar !!

JABBER
Club Player

your all time favouitte gop saint

Gilbert McAdam in the early 1990s
Wow Jones in the 1980s
the midget No.35 in the 1970s
and Aussie Jones in the last ten years

All time favouitte was Trevor Barker never seen anyone takes great marks like Trevor did week after week

trevor barker
groupie1
Club Player

WOW Jones... Scratcher Neil... Dale Kickett... Tim Pekin... Geoffa Cunningham... Kain Taylor was a good one mentioned above... Matthew Young... Steven Sziller... Georgiou

And above someone mentioned David Grant. He was all-Australian, represented his state, was one of the '7 untouchables' when we tried to get Greg Williams, a brilliant footballer.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

groupie1 wrote:WOW Jones... Scratcher Neil... Dale Kickett... Tim Pekin... Geoffa Cunningham... Kain Taylor was a good one mentioned above... Matthew Young... Steven Sziller... Georgiou

And above someone mentioned David Grant. He was all-Australian, represented his state, was one of the '7 untouchables' when we tried to get Greg Williams, a brilliant footballer.
Well you mentioned Joffa. I dont see much difference to be honest.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Lazar Vidovic

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

I forgot to mention Rod Keogh with my nominations

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."