Benny Back To West Coast?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

sax
Club Player

Benny Back To West Coast?

JeffDunne

Personally I would prefer to see him to return to West Coast if that option is open for him.

It's not that I don't want him with us but it would seem more fitting for him to return and repay the debt he owes that club.

casey scorp
Club Player

Interesting proposal for the WC to "reverse the dismissal" and for the AFL to specifically allow "in retrospect on a triparty agreement" BC to go back to the Eagles.

Would require a change to the draft rules, or at least some special arrangement. MFC was granted special dispensation by the AFL to pick up Shannon Motlop via a Special Compensatory Selection in March 2005 following tghe death of Troy Broadbridge. I think everyone agreed that the circumstances warranted some special consideration at that time.

I doubt that very many would consider that the current circumstances warrant any special dispensation to allow BC to avoid the normal draft prcess.

But, then again, special interpretations have been used before by the AFL to shaft the Saints (sirengate, inconsistent Tribunal decisions).

I doubt that we will get him though. Why would a club with an earlier pick than us just let him slide through to the Saints. It's a bit different to the Plugger comeback where Plugger made it known that if any club selected him prior to Sydney he just wouldn't go. BC is a player not too far past his prime to make a real difference to any club. By draft day, they'll be lining up for him (if he hasn't already got to WC with a Special Compensatory Selection).

vacuous space
SS Life Member

Didn't WC come out with a press release a couple of months ago to quell speculation he was on his way back there? Obviously things can change, but this point it seems like little more than speculation, and the WA papers are quite good at that.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
casey scorp
Club Player

Come Tuesday, there'll be a number of clubs frothing at the mouth about, or if they're smarter quietly assessing, whether they can get BC.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Worst puff piece on the front pages of the sport section of the Age this year.

Really a terrible "exclusive".

Some former WCE official on a solo quest. Nothing at all official from the club.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
jays
Club Player

have to agree worst article ever

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Ben Cousins would already have made his decision where he wants to go and that will be it. If that should be St Kilda, nobody else will bother to pick him up. Similar to Richmond passing on Judd last year as Judd had made it perfectly clear he was going to Carlton and Carlton ony.

IMO, there is NO WAY the AFL would allow Ben to go back to West Coast. You don't go back once you have moved on, you have to move forward. Ben going back to WC would be a disaster for him and the club.

markp
Saintsational Legend

saint75 wrote:Ben Cousins would already have made his decision where he wants to go and that will be it. If that should be St Kilda, nobody else will bother to pick him up. Similar to Richmond passing on Judd last year as Judd had made it perfectly clear he was going to Carlton and Carlton ony.

IMO, there is NO WAY the AFL would allow Ben to go back to West Coast. You don't go back once you have moved on, you have to move forward. Ben going back to WC would be a disaster for him and the club.
Sanity.... at last.

casey scorp
Club Player

saint75 wrote:Ben Cousins would already have made his decision where he wants to go and that will be it. If that should be St Kilda, nobody else will bother to pick him up. Similar to Richmond passing on Judd last year as Judd had made it perfectly clear he was going to Carlton and Carlton ony.
That's certainly an interesting take on things.

In fact Judd evaluated 4 clubs before settling on Carlton (cough, cough). That happened in September/October 2007.

Carlton then traded picks 3 & 20 and Josh Kennedy for Judd and pick 46. This happened during trade week.

Richmond never had the chance to overlook Judd in the draft, but I bet they wish they could have had.

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

markp wrote:

Sanity.... at last.
sounds good in theory doesn't it?

its just not that simple

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Biggest fluff article in a long time. Just heard the joker of a journalist on SEN. It makes me sick how they write this purely speclative largely full of s*** articles and get lauded for it. There are alot of lazy "journalists" around.

This aside, it sadly looks as though we have gone from the box seat to running mid pack or worse in the attempt to get BC. Cant help draft selections :roll:

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

casey scorp wrote:
That's certainly an interesting take on things.

In fact Judd evaluated 4 clubs before settling on Carlton (cough, cough). That happened in September/October 2007.

Carlton then traded picks 3 & 20 and Josh Kennedy for Judd and pick 46. This happened during trade week.

Richmond never had the chance to overlook Judd in the draft, but I bet they wish they could have had.
Had Judd chose Richmond to play for, they could have actively traded to get him to their club as well. The facts remain that Judd chose Carlton and Carlton only and WAS NOT going to play for anyone else, regardless of what terms WC & Richmond may have come to so let's not kid ourselves and believe other wise.

Very similar situation with Warnock. Melbourne desperately wanted him, but Warnock made it clear that it would be a cold day in hell before he would play for them.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

fonz_#15 wrote:
markp wrote:

Sanity.... at last.

its just not that simple
Bottom line, yes it is. As any club that goes after him does not have to worry about making deals with his previous club, the decision will lie almost completely in Ben's lap. He will decide where he wants to go and that will be that.

There is not supposed to be any 'draft tampering', but there is. Judd and Warnock are perfect examples of this and there are numerous others. Bottom line is, most clubs will not go after a player who has made if perfectly clear whom he wishes to play for. There have been exceptions, but that is the general outcome in these types of situations.

In regards to the reporter who wrote this article, I also heard his interview on SEN. It differed greatly to the the impression he was trying to create in his written article. After reading his article this morning, he made it sound like it was almost a done deal that Ben was going back to West Coast if he was cleared to play by the AFL commission. However, his radio interview was vastly different to this. Definitely a fluff piece as they have not much else to write about at the moment. :lol:

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

saint75 wrote:
fonz_#15 wrote:
markp wrote:

Sanity.... at last.

its just not that simple
Bottom line, yes it is. As any club that goes after him does not have to worry about making deals with his previous club, the decision will lie almost completely in Ben's lap. He will decide where he wants to go and that will be that.

There is not supposed to be any 'draft tampering', but there is. Judd and Warnock are perfect examples of this and there are numerous others. Bottom line is, most clubs will not go after a player who has made if perfectly clear whom he wishes to play for. There have been exceptions, but that is the general outcome in these types of situations.

In regards to the reporter who wrote this article, I also heard his interview on SEN. It differed greatly to the the impression he was trying to create in his written article. After reading his article this morning, he made it sound like it was almost a done deal that Ben was going back to West Coast if he was cleared to play by the AFL commission. However, his radio interview was vastly different to this. Definitely a fluff piece as they have not much else to write about at the moment. :lol:
I actually was quite angry at the reporter after listening to the interview.

A self-professed 'friend' of Ben's as he waffled on and on about how Perth could/would 'maybe' be better for 'Ben's rehabilitiation' I couldn't help but wonder where this professional journalist and 'friend' of Ben's was when Benny-boy was running off the rails. Aparently it was common knowledge for years of the drug problem and yet from him - nothing, nada, zilch, zero.
It was never a 'problem' when WCE were playing in Grand Finals and winning a Premiership.

Where was his responsibility as a 'professional journalist' to blow the cover off this story at WCE?

Now he feels a professional responsibility to write a 'fluff piece' suggesting that WCE would be the best place for him?

I don't care which Club he goes to but, IMO, he should be banned from going back to WCE.

They never paid any price for allowing the situation to occur and worse, for covering it up. To be the beneficiary of Ben's rehabilitation back to being an AFL footballer is adding insult to injury.

happy feet
Club Player

Have we been set up?

I just wonder if the WCE have set us all up. Think about this. Ben Cousin's touts himself around to other clubs, interest is showed, drafting is talked about, then he returns to the WCE.

What better way for the WCE to defray any criticism! St Kilda and Brisbane were prepared to take him. So was Collingwood. Well if what is good for you is good for us. We will take Ben back and don't you dare criticise us as you were prepared to draft him.

Brilliant PR manouvering. Perhaps he will stay at the WCE and we have all been suckered.

RoseInOz
Club Player

Most people achieved their greatest success one step beyond what looked like their greatest failure.
Our time is now! Please let it be 2012!
ace
Saintsational Legend

If Ben doesn't say NO to West Coast, then St Kilda should not want him anyway.
The city of Perth and West Coast Eagles is where Ben's life went down the toilet.
If he were to go back there he would be returning to the very same conditions that brought on his demise.
The only thing that has changed is that his "mentor" Chris Mainwaring overdosed himself to death.
He would no longer be there to offer and to share an afternoon on the drugs.

West Coast should have banned players from contact with Mainwareing and then got Mainwaring help.
They just did not care.
All Worsfold and his mates were interested in was the scoreboard.

Ben needs a totally clean change of scene and a club that cares enough about him to provide supervision.

If Ben can't see that and allows West Coast to take him back then he is not ready to play for St Kilda anyway.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
ace
Saintsational Legend

[quote="casey scorp"]Interesting proposal for the WC to "reverse the dismissal" and for the AFL to specifically allow "in retrospect on a triparty agreement" BC to go back to the Eagles.

Would require a change to the draft rules, or at least some special arrangement. MFC was granted special dispensation by the AFL to pick up Shannon Motlop via a Special Compensatory Selection in March 2005 following tghe death of Troy Broadbridge. I think everyone agreed that the circumstances warranted some special consideration at that time.

I doubt that very many would consider that the current circumstances warrant any special dispensation to allow BC to avoid the normal draft prcess.

But, then again, special interpretations have been used before by the AFL to shaft the Saints (sirengate, inconsistent Tribunal decisions).[/quote]

I still don't know how the AFL justified the special compensatory selection for Melbourne because they lost Troy Broadbridge to a tsunami.
He certainly is not the only player to die whilst on a club list.
Collingwood did not get a compensatory pick when Didak's really daddy Darren Milane killed himself whilst trying to break the record for the most intoxicated driver.

North Melbourne didn't get anything when Jason McCartney had to quit because he had been toasted in Bali.
Clubs lose players to career ending injuries every year but don't get anything.

The AFL got carried away with the sympathy for the horror of the tsunami and broke its' own rules just like it did over sirengate.

The name of the game should definitely be Australian Football because to be called Australian Rules Football the AFL would need to stick to the rules.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
saintly_safes
Club Player

Aint gunna happen , if he plays it wont be with West Coast

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Sorry if this has already been posted....

Trevor Nisbett says no to a Ben Cousins comeback at West Coast

AAP | November 15, 2008 03:00pm

WEST Coast chief executive Trevor Nisbett has again confirmed the Eagles will not take Ben Cousins back.

Nisbett today said Cousins was not welcome back at the club, despite the pleas of former club chairman Murray McHenry.

McHenry wrote an impassioned letter to AFL chairman Mike Fitzpatrick and chief executive Andrew Demetriou asking for the former Eagle to be allowed to resume at West Coast - without re-entering the draft.

But Nisbett categorically ruled that option out.

"The door is shut. We made that decision 12 months ago," Nisbett said.

"As much as emotions swell from time to time and people have their different opinions the decision's been made by the club in what we believe is the best interests of the club and that decision will stand.

"We rate Murray very highly. He's a former chairman and friend of ours but in the end the board has made its decision, the club's standing firm on the decision we've made regarding Ben.

"We wish him well and we want to support him in everything he does and we are very hopeful he gets a positive reaction from the commission in the coming days."

Cousins, 30, was axed from the club last year and de-registered by the AFL after WA police arrested and charged him with possessing a prohibited drug and failing to comply with a requirement to undergo a driver assessment.

Those charges were later dropped.

AFL commissioners will decide Cousins' fate when they meet in Sydney next week.

The nine-member commission is expected to re-register Cousins after the 238-game veteran reportedly passed a recent drug test.

Launcestonsaint
SS Life Member
Location: Watching our games on tele or listening to the radio :(

Trevor Nisbett says no to a Ben Cousins comeback at West Coast

St Kilda's 2 premiership captains are Tassie born. The Doc & Roo.