Brad Howard gone?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

Have they said we are going to pick him up as a rookie?

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

ralphysaints35 wrote:Have they said we are going to pick him up as a rookie?
no mate, it's just supposition....

no real idea, but one would think or at least hope they do, if he is already contracted...

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
vacuous space
SS Life Member

This move is nothing short of embarrassing. The club went right off the board to take Howard in 06. They re-signed him to a multi-year deal only a short time ago. We're going to be paying Brad Howard senior money for one or two years on the rookie list. That clears a spot for Nathan Carroll, who will probably spend most of the season playing for Sandy (again). How much cap space have we lost in paying for this blunder? And how many memberships do we have to sell just to cover it?

IMO, It would have made much more sense to drop Connors, who's hardly played any level of football in two years, onto the rookie list. At least he only has one year remaining on his contract. Then there's always Leigh Fisher. I think a whole lot of Leigh, but if our coach doesn't and he isn't going to play a game, then why is he still here?

It would be nice if this club could go ten minutes without pantsing itself.

Edit: Melbourne has the first pre-season pick. Nobody has been linked to them for the PSD. I wouldn't be shocked at all to find Howard wind up at Melbourne next year in a 'trade'.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

vacuous space wrote: It would be nice if this club could go ten minutes without pantsing itself.
Yeah dream on, the current board actually believe basing an AFL club in Seaford is a wonderful idea and location, so don't expect the penny to drop, the light switch to flick on, or anyone on the current board to get a fair dinkum clue anytime soon.

Just one fiasco after another!

The list is endless, even the last admin lost the data base and didn't keep records of employee entitlements resulting in a court case, which was then fought and lost.

Now the football department are signing two year contracts and then delisting the player two months later

:roll:

or did they think they were signing him for two months and someone worded the contract incorrectly, FAIR DINKUM, the whole place is a joke.

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
Solar
Saintsational Legend

couple of thoughts

suprised

Perhaps they offered him the choice between re-negoiating his contrac into a rookie list or get delisted and not relisted. If you knew you would not be picked up by anyone else then perhaps they might take this offer. Better then getting paid out and never see AFL football again (better to be on the list then off it).

Also suggests that they are very confident benny boy will announce st kilda as the club he wants to be picked up by. Also might suggest that they are confident with their rookies for 2009. They might want a senior spot open to upgrade one during the season......
Last edited by Solar on Fri 14 Nov 2008 10:00pm, edited 1 time in total.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote: Yeah dream on, the current board actually believe basing an AFL club in Seaford is a wonderful idea and location, so don't expect the penny to drop, the light switch to flick on, or anyone on the current board to get a fair dinkum clue anytime soon.

Just one fiasco after another!

The list is endless, even the last admin lost the data base and didn't keep records of employee entitlements resulting in a court case, which was then fought and lost.

Now the football department are signing two year contracts and then delisting the player two months later

:roll:

or did they think they were signing him for two months and someone worded the contract incorrectly, FAIR DINKUM, the whole place is a joke.
For starters, how about you get your facts straight...

You have a history of shooting off at the mouth and then get shot in the foot :idea:

It was David Friend that discovered that the data base was corrupt back in about 2002 or 2003... so maybe it was the result of the admin prior to the previous one :idea:

I gather it's that time of the month again...

Why not give Rix an extra kiss tonight :idea:

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Well they've taken the broom thru the club. How many were delisted?

Expect the same number next year

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

St Fidelius wrote:
Beekay wrote:What a waste.

But good to see the average players getting the chop.

I hope JB has nothing to do with recruiting anymore. Has more than ran his race.
It was a waste when you consider some players picked after him..

Kurt Tippett and Josh Hill, just to name two
Oh well JB "you've done it again"... :roll:

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Ok..Bottom Line is that Howard should never of been taken as high as he was...for a pick 27...he simply has not shown enough.

All involved in his recruiting whether it be JB...or the ex-Saints in Odgers for recommending him got their call wrong...

Another Bottom line is that the Saints blundered badly in not giving JB the heave ho long ago.

Now in his day JB was wonderful.... Back in the days where every club had his ilk he was one of the best.

However recruiting became a science......and the Saints BLUNDERED badly by staying in the days of "gut feel" recruiting....rather than moving on to more modern and systematic recruiting methods.

One only has to read about the method behind the Hawks recruiting to feel nauseous about the past Saints recruitng which was clearly haphazard and laden with far to many "smokeys".

That we recruiting so many poorly skilled players is another black mark.

We have moved on now....and I for one am much happier (though not 100%) that our list is being managed alot more effectively.

Last years recruiting was good...and I will watch this years picks with great interest.

How good last years was will in a fair part be judged by what Steven and McEvoy show in 2009.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Ok..Bottom Line is that Howard should never of been taken as high as he was...for a pick 27...he simply has not shown enough.

All involved in his recruiting whether it be JB...or the ex-Saints in Odgers for recommending him got their call wrong...

Another Bottom line is that the Saints blundered badly in not giving JB the heave ho long ago.

Now in his day JB was wonderful.... Back in the days where every club had his ilk he was one of the best.

However recruiting became a science......and the Saints BLUNDERED badly by staying in the days of "gut feel" recruiting....rather than moving on to more modern and systematic recruiting methods.

One only has to read about the method behind the Hawks recruiting to feel nauseous about the past Saints recruitng which was clearly haphazard and laden with far to many "smokeys".

That we recruiting so many poorly skilled players is another black mark.

We have moved on now....and I for one am much happier (though not 100%) that our list is being managed alot more effectively.

Last years recruiting was good...and I will watch this years picks with great interest.

How good last years was will in a fair part be judged by what Steven and McEvoy show in 2009.
JB was great in his day and I have known him 40 years....

back then he had an eye for real talent and established an elite under age football side that was the best in the district ...

Yep, under a couple of years of his coaching I made it to the final game (try out) .......

He gave me the last 3 minutes of the match and I ended up kicking a goal with a running torpedo from about 40....

sadly my name was on the other list and I feel no mater how much I did in the few minutes, it meant nothing.....

Again JB was great in picking up the best, but of late it seems he has taken gambles that have not really paid off...

Just the opposite of what he was as a coach in junior footy IMO

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

f*** - What the hell is going on down there....

pick 13 is good.....but what are they hoping with picks 47 onwards????

Meanwhile players like gwilt and fisher get years to establish little.

ALl the best there Howard!!!

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:It was a waste when you consider some players picked after him..

It was an absolutely moronic selection at the time and nothing has changed. A few others who went after him include Chirs Dawes, Ricky Petterd, Alwyn Davey, Mark Austin, Jarryd Morton, Nathan Krakouer, Bachar Houli, Colin Gardland, Kyle Reimers, David McKay, Will Schofield, Lindsay Thomas, Robert Gray and Justin Westhoff. It was supposed to be the draft where you couldn't possibly get less than 3 good players from it, and we decided to use our second round pick on a guy who couldn't kick or get the ball and use another to redraft Matthew Ferguson.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

I reckon Howard's delisting had a lot to do with Greg Hutchison being the new football manager. After all he was the Scorpions coach and would have had a say in whether he thought he could cut it or not. I'm sure he would have had a fair amount of input into the decision

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:It was a waste when you consider some players picked after him..

It was an absolutely moronic selection at the time and nothing has changed. A few others who went after him include Chirs Dawes, Ricky Petterd, Alwyn Davey, Mark Austin, Jarryd Morton, Nathan Krakouer, Bachar Houli, Colin Gardland, Kyle Reimers, David McKay, Will Schofield, Lindsay Thomas, Robert Gray and Justin Westhoff. It was supposed to be the draft where you couldn't possibly get less than 3 good players from it, and we decided to use our second round pick on a guy who couldn't kick or get the ball and use another to redraft Matthew Ferguson.
Oh my god, I can't believe we let some of those players slip, IMO Gray and Thomas are going to be absolute guns, and boy could we use a couple of players like them...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
saintly_safes
Club Player

I feel a bit sorry for Brad he was picked up as a wildcard but never seemed to have what it took to be a afl standard player. Thanks Brad for your efforts I hope you continue to plug away & who knows it might all fall into place for you , best of luck in what ever you do in the future