Brad Howard gone?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Moccha wrote:
Armoooo wrote:I would normally be cynically dismissive, but the way things have been going recently I wouldn't be surprised.

TBH I have never seen him getting a game in any sort of consistent manner, I really don't see what anybody saw in him.

We really are cutting the deadwood aren't we...

We had better draft bloody well this year!!
What does this line mean?

Ever heard of a tautology?

At least he was pretty consistent in not getting a game
Call me crazy but I believe that being cynical and being dismissive have two different meanings....

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
ctqs
Club Player

Armoooo wrote:
Moccha wrote:
Armoooo wrote:I would normally be cynically dismissive, but the way things have been going recently I wouldn't be surprised.

TBH I have never seen him getting a game in any sort of consistent manner, I really don't see what anybody saw in him.

We really are cutting the deadwood aren't we...

We had better draft bloody well this year!!
What does this line mean?

Ever heard of a tautology?

At least he was pretty consistent in not getting a game
Call me crazy but I believe that being cynical and being dismissive have two different meanings....
Fair point. One is questioning the veracity, the other is disregarding, or to put it another way, one is "hmmm...", while the other is "pffft".

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
Legendary
Club Player

Mmm heard the same thing yesterday from someone friendly with a person at the club but thought it was crap because they had signed him for 2 years.

Then bam I open this thread ... and look what's reported.

Would be a costly error ... money down the "drain" indeed ...

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Delisted today.

Right move - maybe worth a rookie spot - so...how did he get a two-year deal?

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

SB10
Club Player

Definitely delisted. See below.

---------------

All AFL clubs were required to submit final club lists to the AFL today by 2pm, in preparation for the 2008 NAB AFL Draft, to be held on Saturday November 29.

The final selection order for the 2008 Draft has been confirmed after the list lodgement today. A further four players were delisted today -- Shane Crawford (Hawthorn), Nathan Carroll (Melbourne), Leigh Brown (North Melbourne) and Brad Howard (St Kilda).

The official selection order for the 2008 NAB AFL Draft is attached and is broken down as follows:

CLUB NUMBER OF SELECTIONS SELECTION NUMBER
Adelaide 5 selections 10, 28, 44, 60, 72
Brisbane Lions 7 selections 7, 25, 41, 57, 69, 81, 82
Carlton 5 selections 6, 40, 65, 80, 85
Collingwood 5 selections 11, 29, 45, 46, 73
Essendon 5 selections 5, 23, 55, 67, 79
Fremantle 8 selections 3, 21, 24, 37, 53, 56, 68, 77
Geelong 4 selections 15, 33, 39, 49
Hawthorn 5 selections 16, 34, 50, 63, 75
Melbourne 7 selections 1, 17, 19, 35, 51, 64, 76
North Melbourne 5 selections 9, 27, 43, 59, 71
Port Adelaide 8 selections 4, 22, 38, 42, 54, 66, 78, 84
Richmond 4 selections 8, 26, 58, 70
St Kilda 6 selections 13, 47, 48, 62, 74, 83
Sydney 3 selections 12, 30, 61
West Coast 5 selections 2, 18, 20, 36, 52
W/Bulldogs 3 selections 14 (F/S Ayce Cordy), 31, 32
…ends

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

I thought it was madness to offer him a two year deal to begin with.

So what is it when you give him a two year contract and then delist him a few weeks later?

What a joke!

Meanwhile Hawthorn make a 4 million dollar profit!

This club is being run by idiots, so know the football department have obviously decided to follow suit.

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
Quixote
SS Life Member

I'm just confused.

Will he get rookie-listed? Will the original contract have to paid out in full now? There's gotta be a clause somewhere.

And what about when he's rookie-listed - will he have been paid out in full then be receiveing ANOTHER salary?

W - T - F ?

....#6 should buy a lotto ticket.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

As I suggested in another thread...

Archie was having a play with words...
St Fidelius wrote:
saintbrat wrote: I took this comment;
For now we have settled on our list and delisted players.
to mean that there wil be no more changes with the list as is..........
maybe the key to his comment is
For now we have settled on our list and delisted players.
That is maybe until the second list lodgement is conducted on the 14th of this month

Just a thought???
I am the one that suggested that Howard was on a two year contract in the other Brad Howard thread, it was a suggestion and I don't know if anyone really confirm it.

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
the shadow
Club Player

Well ralphysaints35, it gives me no pleasure to say I told you so. My source was very close to the decision. The reason I put the post up in the first place was that I felt sorry for Brad Howard being the victim of incompetence.

Before you mindlessly slag off at others, perhaps you should check your own sources, or wait to see if the information is accurate. As for "not being a very good member", perhaps you should have a good long hard look at yourself. Your contributions are generally pathetic and illiterate.

Run like Ditterich, arms flailing, cause fear in the enemy, make fellow saints walk tall!
noob
Club Player

maybe his contract was one like ackland's were if he plays a certain amount of games he gets paid.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:I thought it was madness to offer him a two year deal to begin with.

So what is it when you give him a two year contract and then delist him a few weeks later?

What a joke!

Meanwhile Hawthorn make a 4 million dollar profit!

This club is being run by idiots, so know the football department have obviously decided to follow suit.
Again, I am not too sure it was a two year contract

Not a complete waste of money if we take him back as a rookie :idea:

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Quixote
SS Life Member

the shadow wrote:Well ralphysaints35, it gives me no pleasure to say I told you so. My source was very close to the decision. The reason I put the post up in the first place was that I felt sorry for Brad Howard being the victim of incompetence.

Shadow there are plenty here that appreciate good info.

Disappointed for Brad - still had hopes he'd come on as a player. Ah, well... might still be rookied. Could serve as a bit of a wake-up for Armitage too.

The Bolded section of your quote - what do you mean there?

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

The club has never said Howard was signed to any contract at all.

Archie even stated that contracts were between the player and the club and that they will not be telling all and sundry what is going on at our club.

So who says Brad Howard is a contracted player?

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
ace
Saintsational Legend

Maybe he can be drafted back as a rookie BUT paid more because he has an unexpired but cancelled senior player contract.
A neat way to hang on to a senior player, pay him as a senior player, to see how he develops without him clogging a formal space on the senior list. :wink:

If another club were to grab him as a rookie, they would probably be obliged to pay him the senior contract amount too. :lol:

I would like to hear an expert oinion on this.

LET'S HEAR IT EXPERTS

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
I would like to hear an expert oinion on this.

LET'S HEAR IT EXPERTS
Not too sure if this is what you mean...

ace
Saintsational Legend

Another possiblity - contracts don't become AFL contracts and get counted under the total player payments until they are signed and LODGED with the AFL.
If the player is delisted without his new contract being lodged, would it
merely be private contract between a club an a former player.
The club pays but no penalty against the salary cap.

LET'S HEAR IT EXPERTS

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
starsign
Club Player

Good one that onion head St Fid
LOL!
(no offence for the typo though ace , we all make em )

but i agree there's a bit of confusion/conjecture here and it would be good to hear an expert opinion on whats actually transpired

Bowey Boy
Club Player

Howard's End

http://afl.com.au/News/NEWSARTICLE/tabi ... wsId=69795

Saint, Demon go as draft order finalised
RSSFont downFont largerPrintBy Jason Phelan
5:13 PM Fri 14 November, 2008

THE NAB AFL Draft order has been finalised and a further four players have been delisted after the AFL's second list lodgment deadline passed at 2 pm on Friday.

As expected Shane Crawford's name does not appear on the updated Hawthorn playing list after he announced his surprise retirement last week, but also delisted were Leigh Brown of the Kangaroos, Demon Nathan Carroll and young Saint Brad Howard.

Brown was told his services were no longer required shortly after the first list deadline, and it had been widely thought Carroll would be jettisoned by the Dees after one off-field indiscretion too many.

Howard's demise was something of a surprise given he had been at the club for just two years after being taken in the second round (27th overall) of the 2006 NAB AFL Draft. The 20-year-old midfielder played just two games during his stint at Moorabbin.

There will now be 85 'live' selections at the national draft starting with Melbourne at No.1 and ending with Carlton at pick 85.

The Hawks will not get an extra pick at the national draft due to Crawford's retirement as he was a veteran outside the primary playing list with the club having to make do with an extra pick at the rookie draft instead.

The first list lodgment took place on Friday October 31 giving clubs three weeks to ponder the make-up of their playing groups following the conclusion of a quiet trade week that saw only six trades completed.

All 16 clubs were required to trim their lists to a maximum of 35 players by that first deadline including rookie, New South Wales and international scholarship player transactions.

All delisted players have until 2 pm on Wednesday, November 19, to nominate for the national draft which takes place at Telstra Dome on Saturday, November 29.

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
Beekay
SS Life Member

What a waste.

But good to see the average players getting the chop.

I hope JB has nothing to do with recruiting anymore. Has more than ran his race.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Beekay wrote:What a waste.

But good to see the average players getting the chop.

I hope JB has nothing to do with recruiting anymore. Has more than ran his race.
It was a waste when you consider some players picked after him..

Kurt Tippett and Josh Hill, just to name two

RedWhiteBlack
Club Player

St Fidelius wrote:
barks4eva wrote:Not a complete waste of money if we take him back as a rookie :idea:
You could be on to something there IMO. I wouldn't be so quick to judge.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

RedWhiteBlack wrote:You could be on to something there IMO. I wouldn't be so quick to judge.
So, basically the club stuffed up by re-signing him to the wages of a senior player, and now wants to rookie-list him?

The way this club goes about its business reguarly borders on the absurd. I love it to bits, but the frequent offers of serial incompetence and brief flashes of rationality makes for an unusual mix.

Indeed, Howard should have been delisted (rational), but to re-sign him to a two-year deal a few weeks before (bizarre)...go figure.

Same people who gave Fiora an extra year, right?

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

the shadow wrote:Well ralphysaints35, it gives me no pleasure to say I told you so. My source was very close to the decision. The reason I put the post up in the first place was that I felt sorry for Brad Howard being the victim of incompetence.

Before you mindlessly slag off at others, perhaps you should check your own sources, or wait to see if the information is accurate. As for "not being a very good member", perhaps you should have a good long hard look at yourself. Your contributions are generally pathetic and illiterate.
expect pm's about getting stuck into ralphy...we even on this forum appreciate mediocrity and its pathetic that the football club follows suit

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

RedWhiteBlack wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:Not a complete waste of money if we take him back as a rookie :idea:
You could be on to something there IMO. I wouldn't be so quick to judge.
Yeah mate, but please don't quote b4e in making that post ....

one posts sense whilst the other posts nonsense lol :wink:

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Like I said in the other thread I am shocked after he resigned it is a stuff up. but then they may have resigned him as a rookie back then if possible??