More Members?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

I'd say that since Lyon took over, the average Saints fan would feel less 'a part of the club' than ever before.

Whether all the 'cloke and dagger' stuff is actually Lyon's fault/initiative or not I don't know.

What I do know though, is that many, many Saints fans I know feel they are now simply a revenue source, and not a member of anything at all.

If you want people to genuinely follow an AFL footy club, you need to encourage the tribal urge in people. You need the 'us versus them' mentality. We have nothing that even remotely resembles that these days.

I don't see alot of passion amongst Saints fans these days.

Doesn't feel like 'our' club anymore.

St Marcus
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote:I'd say that since Lyon took over, the average Saints fan would feel less 'a part of the club' than ever before.

Whether all the 'cloke and dagger' stuff is actually Lyon's fault/initiative or not I don't know.

What I do know though, is that many, many Saints fans I know feel they are now simply a revenue source, and not a member of anything at all.

If you want people to genuinely follow an AFL footy club, you need to encourage the tribal urge in people. You need the 'us versus them' mentality. We have nothing that even remotely resembles that these days.

Well said, could not agree more. Saints crowds are now timid and tame, I spend half the game trying to encourage fellow Saints fans to make some noise around me on L1 Bay 39.

I remember Moorabbin was one of the most intimidating grounds to go to. We use to rock that stand, even at waverley we made a heap of noise, now we are like theatre goers. Only games this year that we made a Saints atmospheree was against Hawthorn and the final game against the bombers.

To me the club has lost a lot of its character and soul. Not sure if its boring game plan or the corporate sanitisation, but I miss the noise and buzz of the old sainters fans and I WANT IT BACK

Cheers

Mark

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Funny, I make the same amount of noise as always. Even in our golden GT era, we never had the killer instinct the other club supporters seem to have.

If people are waiting on the results to inspire them to make noise... then we're screwed. We are THE supporters, and our job is to support at all costs.

Reardless of players, coach, gameplan, or otherwise.

To blame or connect it with the arrival of Lyon is folly. Yes the crowd used to make more noise... but whoopee! It didn't win us a flag.

As far as I can see, the club is most serious about delivering a flag, and is being run as professionally as it has ever been run. So, they get 100% unequivocal support from me. I don't need token gestures or group hugs with players to keep me happy.

AS for Morrabbin. The only time the stand roared was when we were in with a sniff of victory, which wasn't too often. Funny how people remember things.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

rodgerfox wrote:I'd say that since Lyon took over, the average Saints fan would feel less 'a part of the club' than ever before.

It's fair to say that since Lyon took over... you've become a very average Saints fan. What's this got to do with Lyon. Welcome back, and good to see you bringing up the same old chestnut.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
JeffDunne

What has it got to do with Lyon? Nothing other than the boring style we've played since he's been coach.

That aside, I think what was more damaging was the method and subsequent removal of the previous coach. That's not to suggest people's support was of GT first St Kilda second, but rather the "here we go again" feeling it caused in the supporter base.

A clear message was sent to the previous admin that the members weren't happy and TBH I don't reckon the new admin have done anything of substance to change the feeling of members.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

JeffDunne wrote:What has it got to do with Lyon? Nothing other than the boring style we've played since he's been coach.

That aside, I think what was more damaging was the method and subsequent removal of the previous coach. That's not to suggest people's support was of GT first St Kilda second, but rather the "here we go again" feeling it caused in the supporter base.

A clear message was sent to the previous admin that the members weren't happy and TBH I don't reckon the new admin have done anything of substance to change the feeling of members.
Had we seen a decline in numbers, then I'd buy your argument. We have stagnated. Surprisingly, we held our numbers well, considering what happenned. This thread is about how to get more members.

The previous admin screwed up by sacking the guy in charge of memberships, and thinking that they could replicate the process and save a few quid along the way.

Want more members? It's the marketing - stupid (to paraphrase Clinton).

I have a friend in Florida who sells similar stuff to me. His is crap, but he makes over 2 times more than me. Why? His marketing is superior to mine. So if the club had some fresh ideas, I don't see it as a problem. Regardless of coach, players etc.

BTW, I agree with your incentive idea.

JeffDunne

I don't disagree Wayne other than to say stagnating memberships was going backwards over the past couple of years.

Stagnating going forward might prove to be worthy of merit but over the past couple of seasons we've fallen behind most of the competition.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

JeffDunne wrote:I don't disagree Wayne other than to say stagnating memberships was going backwards over the past couple of years.

Stagnating going forward might prove to be worthy of merit but over the past couple of seasons we've fallen behind most of the competition.
Absolutely. GT's sacking was a set back, no doubt. Hopefully we are on the right track now.

St Marcus
Club Player

WayneJudson42 wrote:Funny, I make the same amount of noise as always. Even in our golden GT era, we never had the killer instinct the other club supporters seem to have.

If people are waiting on the results to inspire them to make noise... then we're screwed. We are THE supporters, and our job is to support at all costs.

Reardless of players, coach, gameplan, or otherwise.

To blame or connect it with the arrival of Lyon is folly. Yes the crowd used to make more noise... but whoopee! It didn't win us a flag.

As far as I can see, the club is most serious about delivering a flag, and is being run as professionally as it has ever been run. So, they get 100% unequivocal support from me. I don't need token gestures or group hugs with players to keep me happy.

AS for Morrabbin. The only time the stand roared was when we were in with a sniff of victory, which wasn't too often. Funny how people remember things.
I'm not blaming the club or coach for the lack of passion with Saints fans, I don't pretend to know why the passion seems to have gone. I just miss the atmosphere that used to be generated by Saints, even in the early days at the dome.

I also dispute the fact the we don't have that killer instinct of other Fans. I think we used to match it with all but the Pies. My partner follows the Blues but over the yeats has come to many of our home games and she always thought Saints fans were some of the most feral, but this year she commented on a few occasions as to how quite we have become..

I think it also does have some impact on membership as the kids love the atmosphere of a vocal crowd, that is a part of the reason people go to the footie. My son is 10 and is now starting to lean towards Carlton as the Blues games that we went to last year had a great atmosphere. Won't change the loyalty of dedicated fans like us but the kids at a young age are easily swayed, as I can see with one of my own (luckily the other 2 are older and were converted in 2004/05). My best mate started to follow the Pies (originally a Pom) becasue he got caught up in the emotion of the crowd

Anyway thats my opinion for what its worth

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote: It's fair to say that since Lyon took over... you've become a very average Saints fan.

I think many have.

That's the problem.

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Surely it is up to the individual as to how they support the club. One thing has not changed. Two teams play each other, one is in St Kilda colours, one is the opposition. Why don't we scream our heads off, support our guys and give the other side a hard time. I went to a couple of fantastic wins in Melbourne this year and the lack of passion drove me insane. I lost my voice telling our supporters to get behind the team. Surely the love of the club should be all the incentive you need to support your team. Well it is for me.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

I think in every relationship, both parties need to be bringing something to the table.

If one party stops making an effort to make the relationship work, it goes downhill.

In some cases the relationship will cease immediately.

In other cases it will slowly deteriorate. In long term relationships, it's harder to let go. There will be bickering, squabbling, then fighting. This, if not addressed will result in resentment.

Once resentment kicks in, the relationship is doomed. Both parties can often continue the relationship, however it will be passionless, boring and miserable.

If one party feels they are making all the effort, and the other isn't making any and/or doesn't repect them, the situation becomes dire.

Your sincerely, Dr Phil.

St Marcus
Club Player

Saint Bev wrote:Surely it is up to the individual as to how they support the club. One thing has not changed. Two teams play each other, one is in St Kilda colours, one is the opposition. Why don't we scream our heads off, support our guys and give the other side a hard time. I went to a couple of fantastic wins in Melbourne this year and the lack of passion drove me insane. I lost my voice telling our supporters to get behind the team. Surely the love of the club should be all the incentive you need to support your team. Well it is for me.
St Bev
Same for me, I shout and scream my head off, I love to celebrate after a goal and always try and start a 'St Kilda' chant. Days gone by people would join in and were much more vocal. Now all I get (apart from a small group of blokes beind me) are stony faces and polite claps.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

All club supporters would "out noise" us by a long way, bar Melbourne.

Unfortunately, you cant compare it to the moorabbin days really. Back then, there were fewer kids at the footy, today there is a metric ***load of kids. End result, you show any level of loud support and you will get howled down, seen it time and time again. Pure theatre goers, and we seem to have alot of them, are ruining the crowd aspect of the game. Also, the smaller ground of moorabbin probably helped create the atmosphere.

Like I mentioned earlier in the thread, we seem to have ALOT of fickle and uncommittted supporters, the question is WHY?

When we played carlton at the dome last year, our home game, they made one hell of a racket. I remember thinking at the time, why cant we get that sort of noise going on? Similar V Collingwood and Richmond. ALL our home games, so to be so out voiced is highly embarassing and , well...its just depressing really. I agree with others, we seem to have lost all the mongrel and are about as far from a "feral" supporter base as the monday night knitting group over in Noble Park.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Let's nail it down...

People make buying decisions based on emotion, then justify it with logic.

The single biggest comodity that people buy is "hope". The hope that a product will help them achieve an end desire or result.

In the case of footy, we tend to buy a membership, in the hope that we are ultimately affiliated to a club that wins a flag. That's the emotional trigger in a nutshell.

From the clubs point of view, hope is the "hook". That's why every year we hear the same old about "ready to challenge" "looking to a big year" and all that hype.

The "offer" is they key. Hence they offer logical reasons to become a member. Such as, cheaper than paying for admittance to 11 games, the scarf etc.

This gives the member a "logical" justification for becoming a member... or higher "perceived" value.

As far as supporters go, I'd guess that the reason we become members is for the emotional aspect (notice the heated discussions on this forum).

Those who can pay will always do so.

Depending on necessity, those who are finding it tough, may or may not sacrafice a few things, so that they can afford the ticket.

Note that as a dad, having kids putting pressure on you to go to the footy... chances are you'll give up the smokes etc to make it happen.

Others simply never have, and possibly never will become members for whatever reason.

If we want more members, the answer is simple: SELL HOPE!

That's why I'd like to see a membership theme around the "The Saints Are Coming" song.

End of part 1. :D

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

All of the "no-one yells at the footy anymore" arguements was one of the main reasons the Moorabbin WIng was created back in 03

Have any of you who complain about the lack of atmosphere sat up with us? I know it sound like Im pumping up the tyres, but No-one will EVER get told off or glared at for screaming and yelling..oh unless perhaps you are sledging our own players hehehe

Yes we have our share of Negative Nellies, but Ive sat on L2 twice since TD opened, and both times Ive thought to myself that Id be frogmarched out if I carried on like we do on the Wing

From my experience and anecdotal evidence from any others, best seats for atmosphere at a Saints game without question.

Here endeth the blatant plug :-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Solar
Saintsational Legend

doesn't help when we have supporters who tut tut when others yell and scream their support.....

what can we do to get more members.... I think in the end it comes down to us fanatics.... the best way to sell a product is get people talking about it, suggesting to their friends and families.....

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Batnoe

i always walk away from a game with blood in my throat, even watching it on tv or the pub... i breathe the saints, i think thats the problem, we need supporters that breath and bleed our club

The lions are the worst barrackers, by the way many are going on here we must be on par with the lions and that sickens me

JeffDunne

There is a reason some clubs sell memberships better than others.

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/news.asp?nid=6170

We need to grow some balls as a club.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

but visit their site for membership and the first sentence is
Please note: Due to technical difficulties, the IVR renewal number 1300 888 369 is not currently operational
between that and the Pies Beautiful ' song................... :D

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

saintbrat wrote:but visit their site for membership and the first sentence is
Please note: Due to technical difficulties, the IVR renewal number 1300 888 369 is not currently operational
between that and the Pies Beautiful ' song................... :D
That's gold. Thanks JD.

Maybe we should have one that reads "11 Straight... we can't wait!"

I still think the saints are coming adds energy, and should be used.

Or even, "Our Time Is Now".

It's a tough one to nail down.

Either way, the club should pump the fact that we are back in contention, we have made major improvements off the field etc, and it's a chance to be apart of history etc. We need you there and we need you loud to help us make history. Whatever.

Or even the old "It's time".

Picture a tv ad where the faces change from Roo to Dal to Milne etc, with each of them staring down the lens stating "It's time".

Then Roo finishing up with "It's time to step up and win the premiership... and we need YOU to help us get there. Now is the time for our club to deliver. Now is the time when we need your support. It's time"

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:All of the "no-one yells at the footy anymore" arguements was one of the main reasons the Moorabbin WIng was created back in 03

Have any of you who complain about the lack of atmosphere sat up with us? I know it sound like Im pumping up the tyres, but No-one will EVER get told off or glared at for screaming and yelling..oh unless perhaps you are sledging our own players hehehe

Yes we have our share of Negative Nellies, but Ive sat on L2 twice since TD opened, and both times Ive thought to myself that Id be frogmarched out if I carried on like we do on the Wing

From my experience and anecdotal evidence from any others, best seats for atmosphere at a Saints game without question.

What an absolute lot of self serving hogwash and bollocks.

Have you ever sat on level one?

I've sat on the Moorabbin wing when we've been the away team and up on level three the atmosphere is not even worth mentioning.

If you want genuine atmosphere it is on LEVEL ONE, FAIR DINKUM it's like comparing Paris Hilton with the Virgin Mary.

The atmosphere on level one far outweighs whatever it is you call atmosphere up on level three.

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

barks4eva wrote:
saint66au wrote:All of the "no-one yells at the footy anymore" arguements was one of the main reasons the Moorabbin WIng was created back in 03

What an absolute lot of self serving hogwash and bollocks.

Have you ever sat on level one?

I've sat on the Moorabbin wing when we've been the away team and up on level three the atmosphere is not even worth mentioning.

If you want genuine atmosphere it is on LEVEL ONE, FAIR DINKUM it's like comparing Paris Hilton with the Virgin Mary.

The atmosphere on level one far outweighs whatever it is you call atmosphere up on level three.
We did the level 1 thing when Blight was appointed. Unless you're not underneath the level 2 stand, then it's a crap place to watch the footy IMO.

However, from level 3 behind the goals, I agree that level 1 does get rather loud.

another idea, and I'm not sure about the costs should be to bring back the old wing like they did at Waverly.

It would have to have a smaller allocation than actual members, or perhaps they could get a deal with Collins to get the seats at a discount?

I'd pay an extra $50 for that. :lol:

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

WEll thats goood..other parts of the ground are making oise too..I was beginning to wonder :-)

Glad to hear you are in a rowdy bunch Barks..all I was doing was offering an option for those who were bleating that they were being told off for yelling too loudly

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
JeffDunne

Whatever happened to Rod's light show idea? :lol:

As for the crowd getting loud, well there's an obvious solution to that.

Change the style of game we play.

Squeezing the life out of the opposition might result in the 4 points, but they're hardly the sort of wins that have you leaving the ground wanting more. It's more a "thank christ that's over" sort of feeling.

If you're going to be a defensive team then be physical. Have attitude.

Or better still, play an attacking brand of football that's successful.

I appreciate the low key approach of the president and coach due and if that's their style then so be it. If they do their job then they don't need to be media performers but we do need someone to rally the troops.