St Kilda has faith in Ben Cousins - Herald Sun (news)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

St Kilda has faith in Ben Cousins - Herald Sun (news)

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/ ... 42,00.html

OFFICIALLY, St Kilda is yet to decide if it wants Ben Cousins on its playing list next year. Unofficially, the club is of the view he will be there. The Saints won't formalise their position until the AFL commission determines Cousins' eligibility at a meeting in Sydney next Tuesday.

If the AFL says he's right to resume, St Kilda directors will put the matter to a vote at a board meeting two days later.

St Kilda has invested dozens, maybe hundreds, of hours into the Cousins' conundrum.

The club is the clear front-runner for him and feels it has done, to use a phrase football clubs love using these days, thorough due diligence.

The Herald Sun has learnt coach Ross Lyon met the 2006 Brownlow medallist at least three times in October.

The last of those known gatherings was at an upmarket seafood cafe in Point Lonsdale

Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

The article goes on to state that he did not nominate for the national draft and that Brisbane is the only other club interested in him. Why didn't he nominate for the national draft? The Bears could cut our lunch and pick him before we get a chance in the pre-season draft now.

S.A Saint
Club Player

All this stuff is speculation until he gets the all clear... if and when he gets the all clear i would think that he will most likely choose a club of his choice that he would want to go to. either us, lions or maybe even the filth...all we can do right now is just wait for the decision from the afl....

sax
Club Player

Little Dozer wrote:The article goes on to state that he did not nominate for the national draft and that Brisbane is the only other club interested in him. Why didn't he nominate for the national draft? The Bears could cut our lunch and pick him before we get a chance in the pre-season draft now.
RUBBISH! Not once does it say he hasn't nominated for the National Draft!
Read the article properly!

markp
Saintsational Legend

I cant see a club picking him before us once he announces his intentions.

Saints94
SS Life Member

We should just pick him with one of our picks 47 or 48 in the national draft :P

kickittokosi!!!!
Club Player

From another Herald Sun article (re: Ben drug free)...

"Nixon's submission will stress a return to football at either St Kilda or the Brisbane Lions - and through the pre-season draft on December 16, according to the AFL yesterday - was an integral part of the rehabilitation.

Cousins did not nominate for the November 29 national draft by yesterday's deadline"

go saints!
yipper
SS Life Member

kickittokosi!!!! wrote:From another Herald Sun article (re: Ben drug free)...

"Nixon's submission will stress a return to football at either St Kilda or the Brisbane Lions - and through the pre-season draft on December 16, according to the AFL yesterday - was an integral part of the rehabilitation.

Cousins did not nominate for the November 29 national draft by yesterday's deadline"
Correct me if I'm wrong - but as a de-registered player, he cannot nominate for any draft. He must wait for the AFL to lift his banned status before he can nominate.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
markp
Saintsational Legend

yipper wrote:
kickittokosi!!!! wrote:From another Herald Sun article (re: Ben drug free)...

Correct me if I'm wrong - but as a de-registered player, he cannot nominate for any draft. He must wait for the AFL to lift his banned status before he can nominate.
That makes sense to me.... I really don't see how the Lions will have time to 'woo' him in any event.

I calculate a 95% chance he'll be playing for us next year... (with a 5% margin of error). :wink:

kickittokosi!!!!
Club Player

might be right Markp.
I don't have a clue about the technicalities.

Just posted what the Herald Sun said re: the national draft, in reponse to an above 'poster' being crucified for what may appear to be an accurate statement.

go saints!
Batnoe

Lions have said they are after Nick Davis, i cannot see them using a pick in the draft so they might get him in pre season draft, or at least im hoping

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

the ball still really in Ben's court, if he wants st.kilda and we want him, Brisbane are a non factor.

if Brisbane say they are going to pick him up and cousins doesn't want to go there, he can say fine pick me, but i will just retire (or party).

the guy has an ego so he will do what he wants to do

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I dreamt last night, that Cousins was playing for us :o

Little Dozer
Club Player
Location: Forward Pocket, Outer side, Linton Street end or bay 38 Waverley

sax wrote:
Little Dozer wrote:The article goes on to state that he did not nominate for the national draft and that Brisbane is the only other club interested in him. Why didn't he nominate for the national draft? The Bears could cut our lunch and pick him before we get a chance in the pre-season draft now.
You're right. I read the other article before this one, "Ben Cousins officially drug free" which claims he didn't nominate for the national draft.

undecided
Club Player

i would love ben to play for st kilda next year but i think its becoming more likely he'll goto brisbane because voss obviously wants him and they have an earlier pick

BelfastSaint
Club Player

undecided wrote:i would love ben to play for st kilda next year but i think its becoming more likely he'll goto brisbane because voss obviously wants him and they have an earlier pick
Hey undecided ... Get some positivity into your life ... :D

sax
Club Player

Little Dozer wrote:
sax wrote:
You're right. I read the other article before this one, "Ben Cousins officially drug free" which claims he didn't nominate for the national draft.
Yeh, sorry mate. I've only just read that article and in there it does say he missed the deadline to nominate for the ND. :)

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

a positive about this is even if we don't end up getting him somehow we are showing a new professionalism within he football club

sadly its something that should have happened long, long ago

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.