Saints fans win (from herald sun)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saint Mik
Club Player

Saints fans win (from herald sun)

If this has already been posted please remove :wink:

ST KILDA says it will give Telstra Dome "back to our fans" next season in a novel initiative designed to combat the expected financial downturn. The Saints have been given permission by stadium management to sell to members level-two seats normally assigned to corporates who have paid to attend match-day functions.

The plan all but kills off the traditional club president's pre-match function.

St Kilda chief executive Archie Fraser said the anticipated revenue struggle, combined with the club's 2009 home fixtures - six Sunday and four Saturday games at Telstra Dome - forced a commercial re-think.

"Our members have always wanted greater access to that level and they've been saying they just want to go to the footy in their jeans, take the kids, have a can of Coke," he said.

"They can still go in to the function rooms if they want to have a sit-down meal, but they won't be locked in to it.

"We'll hopefully be able to get 4000 St Kilda members on to that level, make it a fortress."

Fraser said the club would retain a pre-match president's function, but for an invitation-only 30-50 people.

The running of St Kilda's corporate functions this year cost the club $900,000. It recorded a loss of $15,000.

Executives factored in the economic downturn and feared the possible loss in 2009 could reach $300,000.

Pre-match functions hosted by the Saints' coterie group Haloes will continue, for about 150 people.

THE teenager voted Ireland's best young Gaelic footballer will train with St Kilda this month as he weighs up a possible move to the AFL.

Forward Tommy Walsh, 19, was last month named the Gaelic Athletic Association's young footballer of the year.

Forget the past, Saints footy, One better in 2010
Friedrich Nakata

How much will this cost? How much extra is it for the meal as well?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

fantastic!

We can't make a profit in 2008 during relatively OK times (ie pre the mega October crash!) corporate hospitality wise.

Sounds like Archie is just saving his pants for next year.....wise move to bite the bullet now. Ugly times ahead!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Suits me- I have often wanted a nice lunch but prefer to stay in my current reserved seat-
now that can be done- without being locked into the level 2 seat,

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
The Saintsational Man
Club Player

Re: Saints fans win (from herald sun)

Saint Mik wrote:The running of St Kilda's corporate functions this year cost the club $900,000. It recorded a loss of $15,000.
And that's the exact reason that the suits can go an get fu*ked.

If they bring the money in , then fine, but if there thinking that there just going to get a free ride, then they can fu*k off.

Sure many of them work for our sponsors I guess and maybe that income wasn't factored in? But for corporate functions to run at a loss?!?!

Shows how tight some people really are.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

The Saintsational Man wrote:
Saint Mik wrote:The running of St Kilda's corporate functions this year cost the club $900,000. It recorded a loss of $15,000.

If they bring the money in , then fine, but if there thinking that there just going to get a free ride, then they can fu*k off.

Sure many of them work for our sponsors I guess and maybe that income wasn't factored in? But for corporate functions to run at a loss?!?!

Shows you how much the stadium CHARGE!!!!
Last edited by chook23 on Wed 12 Nov 2008 9:56am, edited 1 time in total.

saint4life
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Interesting issue this one.

How can these functions be profitable?

Is there a base minimum cost, regardless of numbers?

Were we not charging enough to those who had to pay, too many freebees perhaps as you stated??

Should've they charged less and got more people in?

I wonder how much revenue is generated through raffles/donations etc during these types of functions?

Can anyone shed any light???

We need to make sure Footy First is 100% accountable for what happend in 2008......I'm just asking questions, not playing the blame game until some more facts come out.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

good, finally we show initiative and are the first to think of something thus gaining maximum potential and exposure

very impressive and keep the original ideas coming corporates!

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Stjohn
Club Player

I am assuming...

This does not affect current level 2 seatholders?? :?:

" I am a loyal person and at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know I am a St Kilda person for life. That was something that has heavily influenced my decision.â€
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:

Interesting issue this one.

How can these functions be profitable?

Is there a base minimum cost, regardless of numbers?

Were we not charging enough to those who had to pay, too many freebees perhaps as you stated??

Should've they charged less and got more people in?

I wonder how much revenue is generated through raffles/donations etc during these types of functions?

Can anyone shed any light???

We need to make sure Footy First is 100% accountable for what happend in 2008......I'm just asking questions, not playing the blame game until some more facts come out.
My understanding is that Westaway and his team actually cut the 'freebies' off this past season so that there were very few in comparison to previous years under RB's administration. \Joffa Burns may be able to shed more light on this , as I believe he was an attendee?

As regards to the actual figures, $15,000 loss, it depends how they are accounting for various parts of teh 'packages' they sell.
Since these 'packages' also include membership tickets, reserved seats etc. do they take the total cost of the 'package' and set it off against the costs involoved in running the 'lunches' or do they break the cost up into individual 'income components' like
membership
reserved seating
car parking
etc?

Given that the public comments re finances over the last 12 months have tended, IMO, to 'play down' our financial results I would be most surprized if $15,000 loss wasn't just a figure created to substantiate some other decisions, like selling off the level 2 seating?

FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

Great idea... return the game to the REAL footy fans!

sainter35
Club Player

Re: I am assuming...

Stjohn wrote:This does not affect current level 2 seatholders?? :?:
I doubt it. Your seats are more towards the flank and pocket on the city side of the ground aren't they?

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

There's a whole group of us with seats on the wing on L2, in front of the President's dining room. I think they are Social Club members' seatr?

sainter35
Club Player

Is that the same area where the corporates sit?

I'm on level 1 so I'm not sure how the seating works up there but it appears these are the seats directly in front of the Saints match day corporate boxes.

Anyway I'd presume nobody would lose their seat, you'll just have more fellow supporters.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

All well and good..but now we actually have to sell those extra seats

I know in 2007 the allocation of Level 2 seats were fully sold, not sure about 2008. However, with the current world-wide purse string tightening, you'd wonder if the existing seats would be 100% subscribed in 2009?

ANd..if we dont sell them as yearly seats they go back into the pool to be sold on match day, thus ensuring that at least part of them will be used by opposition fans. Hardly a "fortress" on L2

I wonder if Archie can assure the fans that they'll only be sold to SAints members, be it for a full year or on match day game by game. I woner if Ticketmasters system can cope with having them flagged as "Saints members only"

Costs top dollar to sit on L2 for the season. the last thing Id want is oppo fans behind me all season.

I feel an "Ask Archie" question coming on :-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Saints Media
Club Player

saint66au wrote:I feel an "Ask Archie" question coming on :-)
Archie has beaten you to the punch guys ;)

http://www.saintscentral.com.au/Detail.aspx?id=607

In a nutshell...

- Premium Level 2 seats now available to all members with optional corporate dining should you wish
- President's function to be operated on a much smaller scale with 30-50 people
- Ever popular Halo Coterie group to continue operating as is
- The $900k loss quoted in today's Herald Sun was not correct
- Level 2 expected to become a St Kilda fortress with 4000+ St Kilda fans sitting together
- Etihad Stadium won't sell those seats against us and allow other fans to sit there
- Initial projections expect it to add $300k-$500k to Club's bottom line
- 2009 membership brochures will be in the mail early next week!

WE NEED YOU SIGNED UP!

"The membership number is a very important part of the psyche of the playing group. If they see members coming in early and strong, I think the boys go a lot harder."

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Saints Media wrote:
saint66au wrote:I feel an "Ask Archie" question coming on :-)
Archie has beaten you to the punch guys ;)

http://www.saintscentral.com.au/Detail.aspx?id=607

In a nutshell...

- Premium Level 2 seats now available to all members with optional corporate dining should you wish
- President's function to be operated on a much smaller scale with 30-50 people
- Ever popular Halo Coterie group to continue operating as is
- The $900k loss quoted in today's Herald Sun was not correct
- Level 2 expected to become a St Kilda fortress with 4000+ St Kilda fans sitting together
- Etihad Stadium won't sell those seats against us and allow other fans to sit there
- Initial projections expect it to add $300k-$500k to Club's bottom line
- 2009 membership brochures will be in the mail early next week!

WE NEED YOU SIGNED UP!

"The membership number is a very important part of the psyche of the playing group. If they see members coming in early and strong, I think the boys go a lot harder."[/
quote]

Good to hear- I've been saving :)

ps has Archie been reading our minds- ( or just the forum) again :P

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Would be great if that could be extended to the Yearly seats on Levels 1 and 3 :-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

[quote
"The membership number is a very important part of the psyche of the playing group. If they see members coming in early and strong, I think the boys go a lot harder."[/quote]

WTF, I mean WTF!!??? What a moronic statement! Id be horrified if the players were carefully checking membership figures every other day to go a bit "harder"! F Of course, they dont. Archie, THINK before you speak, this just embarasses you and the club, even given how important membership is. May I say.... FAIR DINKUM! :twisted:

RedWhiteBlack
Club Player

iwantmeseats wrote:[quote
"The membership number is a very important part of the psyche of the playing group. If they see members coming in early and strong, I think the boys go a lot harder."
WTF, I mean WTF!!??? What a moronic statement! Id be horrified if the players were carefully checking membership figures every other day to go a bit "harder"! F Of course, they dont. Archie, THINK before you speak, this just embarasses you and the club, even given how important membership is. May I say.... FAIR DINKUM! :twisted:
Are you serious?? What a myopic thing for you to say.

Archie never said the players were 'carefully' counting members. He made a general statement that implied the more members we sign up, the more it encouraged the team and I'd say he's spot on.

Who wouldn't respond positively if you had tens of thousands of people pledging their support for the club? It's not to say they won't train hard nonetheless, but it's GOT to be a boost for them to see people getting in early, optimistic for another

Before shooting your mouth off, at least try to use some grammar and spell correctly - particuarly if you're claiming someone is 'embarrassing' themselves :roll:

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Saints Media wrote: - The $900k loss quoted in today's Herald Sun was not correct
Get your facts right Archie, the Hun quoted a $15K loss on 900K costs

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Saint Mik wrote:
, have a can of Coke," he said.

".
Well Arch has obviously been with the Corporates too long:

1/ Can??

2/ I want a frothie :wink:

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
GreatNo9s
Club Player

Saintspremiers - wow I can't wait to see how you react if Arch really gets something wrong :roll:

If you watch the interview you will see he sets it straight - $900k in revenue for a breakeven result

Given the corporates aren't working, I think it is a bloody good effort to get more members into these seats.

Did you know the Bombers have nearly 20,000 reserve seat members for the Telstra Dome games ?
We have 9,500 - so the extra 1,000 seats for members on L2 is a great result...
Last edited by GreatNo9s on Wed 12 Nov 2008 10:54pm, edited 1 time in total.

Who is the best number 9 for the Saints ?
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

I'm on Level 2 anyway so it makes no difference to me personally.

Whatever they end up doing i hope it's a Saints only area,it's f**cking annoying when opposition supporters manage to find their way into Saints Members areas....

Will the Saints ever be classed as a good club ?
ace
Saintsational Legend

Level 2 East gold seats have been available for $48 plus tickmaster fee, on an individual match basis.
Level 2 East also houses Telstra Dome's Accees One which has a reciprocal arrangement with the Melbourne cricket club whose members can purchase an Access One seat for $28.80.
Level 2 East also has had club reserved seats.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.