Found this article a good read!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Jody Arnol
Club Player

Found this article a good read!

http://www.theroar.com.au/2008/10/14/to ... n-cousins/

When news filtered out the other day that former Eagles Ben Cousins and Michael Gardiner would be at the same club again next year, the obvious and slightly funny quip to make was whether the club in question would be Eve, Boutique, Prince Of Wales, Robata or any of the other Melbourne nightspots commonly frequented by the AFL’s glitterati.

Evidently, the report in question was in reference to news that St. Kilda are deciding whether to make a play for Cousins in this year’s pre-season draft under the naive assumptions that pairing him with his former partner in crime wouldn’t be detrimental to Cousins’ prospects of successful rehabilitation, as well as the even more ridiculous notion that the Saints are just one player away from a premiership.

The St. Kilda football department, led by a delegation of coach Ross Lyon and football manager Matthew Drain, will meet Cousins again next week to inspect the former star centreman for train tracks on his arms.

If they like what they see, Lyon and Drain will then front the St. Kilda board to ask whether they can draft Cousins.

The board will also be asked to try and stay awake for more than three minutes when Lyon is talking; a feat beyond most journalists who have attended one of his press conferences this year and/or been forced to watch the patented cure for insomnia that is Lyon’s game plan.

Lyon has already met Cousins personally to canvas the prospect of him returning to the game via the Saints. Presumably Lyon’s key selling point was the fact that he can guarantee Cousins career highs in short kicks and uncontested marks based on a game plan that involves kicking the ball backwards and sideways repeatedly until Nick Riewoldt has made a lead that has left him no less than 25 metres in the clear.

According to Lyon, “we’re all interested in Ben Cousins, but what I’d like to say is that’s clearly in the hands of the AFL Commission (to allow him to play). Ben’s health is a priority, but everyone deserves a second chance.â€

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

The c**k head who wrote that can't even spell Moorabbin :roll:

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Solar
Saintsational Legend

that goes down as the stupidist ill informed piece of drival I have read in a long long time. was it really worth posting....????

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:that goes down as the stupidist ill informed piece of drival I have read in a long long time. was it really worth posting....????
also, I find it strange that the OP considered it a "Good Read" :?

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Actually, it was a little amusing... my, we are precious lot.

Considering that some on this forum actually reflect some of the views... why all the fuss? :lol:

Judging by some of the threads and comments, recruiting BC is like the 2nd coming.

He'll be recruited as a depth player, and our expectations should be the same. Anything extra will be a bonus.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
Solar
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
Solar wrote:that goes down as the stupidist ill informed piece of drival I have read in a long long time. was it really worth posting....????
bizzarre

no concept of research, if he had he would have known that the saints were destined to lose heath black to freo. Unable to secure symonds (was offered a very big long term contract by richmond) they looked for something out of the trade. We did not SEEK to trade for fiora, he was what was left on the table. Had a reasonable 2007, especially near the end. The only problem we as a club did was sign him to a two year contract at his age.

Despite what rumours have circulated no reports have shown gardiner to have been anyting but a good clubman in his two years with the club.

Then finally the personal attack on the demenour of the coach was childish! It was a waste of 5 minutes of my afternoon, shame because most people on here only post something if it has some benefit for reading.

FQF
In richo I trust

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

some slither of truth in it. but the obvious flaw in the argument is that of course ross lyon did not recruit fizzer.

and cuz is one of the best players of all time. not to mention the saints improved socring record (2nd half against the hawks in round 18)

Solar
Saintsational Legend

and in a suprising move, the saints have continued their obsession with rising stars by recruiting buckley as an assistant coach.....

it's a flawed argument and similar to the crap written on bigfooty.....

FQF
In richo I trust

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:and in a suprising move, the saints have continued their obsession with rising stars by recruiting buckley as an assistant coach.....

it's a flawed argument and similar to the crap written on bigfooty.....
ooh i got excited for a minute. would be awesome if we gave a bucks an assistants job. even it was 3 days a week so he could do his media.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

this is what the site says about the flogs that write this crap......i have my own views about the troll turd who reposted this crap here....

"AFL Blog - Best Clubman

Best Clubman – what happens when you get a group of disgruntled AFL-accredited journalists too cowardly to publish anything hard hitting under their own names. Why not waste 5 minutes of work time reading our posts. What, like you have something better to do?

Get Best Clubman posts delivered straight into your inbox for FREE - subscribe by sending an email to bestclubman.subscribe@gmail.com.

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Shesssh..lighten up a few of you

It was a mildly amusing satirical article about St Kilda and Ben Cousins..so what? It wasnt meant to be accurate!

If the same person had played a bit fast and loose with the facts and written a article about Chris Judd joining Carlton last year, you'd all be rolling on the floor calling it comedy genius..but because he had the temerity to have a (gentle) dig at St Kilda all of a sudden he's the antichrist?

He had a crack at our gameplan..as plenty on here have done

He had a dig at recruiting Cousins..as plenty on ehre have done

He's joked about RL's speeches..as plenty on here have done

Every so often it becomes very clear that the only people permitted to criticise St Kilda (even in humour) are SS posters..well Newsflash folks..that aint true.

If it was a nasty cheap shot attack, fair enough..but..no...

IT WAS A JOKE!!!

If I had those Carlton wristbands (oops I mentioned Carlton, stone me to death now) Id be handing a few of the em out..as some people here need to harden the %$#@ up :roll:

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
stinger
Saintsational Legend

it's a bit like ..you can criticise your own children but the fawker from across the road better keep his mouth shut about them.......
Last edited by stinger on Sat 08 Nov 2008 8:12pm, edited 1 time in total.

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

What saint66au said

Bring back the Lockett era
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:What saint66au said
:)

im glad i dont live opposite stinger! not that id criticise his kids. but id be just plain scared :D

Solar
Saintsational Legend

what stinger wrote

btw I would roll my eyes if a comedian tried to trot out those lines

FQF
In richo I trust

The Saintsational Man
Club Player

Train tracks on his arms?

BC was hard at it, but a junkie?

If he was injecting the junk, it would've been more evident in his play.

bozza1980
Club Player

I thought it was funny.

uncle joe
Club Player

C'mon ! . . If we can't laugh at ourselves we may as well give up .
Get a sense of humour some of you blokes !
It was meant to have a bit of a dig at the club and get a reaction . Well it has certainly done that !
And , lets face it . . . . . some of it was pretty close to the bone !
The same sort of article could be written about any of the 15 other AFL clubs .

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

What else do you expect from somebody writing as a fan?

He's not a journalist - well, I assume not, given he isn't using his real name - so it's just like a message-board post to me.

Why are you getting so worked up? It's just like BigFooty. Relax.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

ctqs
Club Player

Who cares what somebody else thinks, whether it be a good or bad point of view? If you don't know who they are, or you don't value their opinion as a general principal, what does it count?
It's like when you see people queue up for ages to get into a place, only to be knocked back at the door. All of a sudden those who are rejected feel the need to prove their value to the gumby who's on a power trip. All of a sudden, it becomes so important to get inside because if we don't, the universe as we know it will come to an end.
Why? Because it's not much fun to be told you're not good enough.
That'd be fair enough if it came from someone you respected.
Anyone outside of that? Pffft.
As for journalists - not that I think the person who wrote this was - to paraphrase the great American journalist Edward R Murrow, just because your voice reaches half-way around the world, it doesn't give it any more weight than when it only reached the end of the bar.
Last edited by ctqs on Mon 10 Nov 2008 3:15pm, edited 1 time in total.

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

ctqs wrote:Who cares what somebody else thinks, whether it be a good or bad point of view? If you don't know who they are, or you don't value their opinion as a general principal, what does it count?
It's like when you see people queue up for ages to get into a place, only to be knocked back at the door. All of a sudden those who are rejected feel the need to prove their value to the gumby who's on a power trip. All of a sudden, it becomes so important to get inside because if we don't, the universe as we know it will come to an end.
As for journalists - not that I think the person who wrote this was - to paraphrase the great American journalist Edward R Murrow, just because you're voice reaches half-way around the world, it doesn't give it any more weight than when it only reached the end of the bar.
Amen to all that, especially the last part. Great sentence.

...even though ERM wouldn't appreciate the mixing of you're and your.

:wink:

ctqs
Club Player

evertonfc wrote:
ctqs wrote:Who cares what somebody else thinks, whether it be a good or bad point of view? If you don't know who they are, or you don't value their opinion as a general principal, what does it count?
As for journalists - not that I think the person who wrote this was - to paraphrase the great American journalist Edward R Murrow, just because you're voice reaches half-way around the world, it doesn't give it any more weight than when it only reached the end of the bar.
Amen to all that, especially the last part. Great sentence.

...even though ERM wouldn't appreciate the mixing of you're and your.

How embarrassing! I'm a stickler for that sort of thing, too! You can read and re-read things a number of times and still miss basic things! Sorry! I'll go back and correct it. :oops:

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

ctqs wrote:How embarrassing! I'm a stickler for that sort of thing, too! You can read and re-read things a number of times and still miss basic things! Sorry! I'll go back and correct it. :oops:
Compared to the posting habits of others, I wouldn't worry...

And you're right about the re-reading side of things; no matter how mnay tmies I reed over soemthing I invirably get it wrong.

ctqs
Club Player

evertonfc wrote:
ctqs wrote:How embarrassing! I'm a stickler for that sort of thing, too! You can read and re-read things a number of times and still miss basic things! Sorry! I'll go back and correct it. :oops:
Compared to the posting habits of others, I wouldn't worry...

And you're right about the re-reading side of things; no matter how mnay tmies I reed over soemthing I invirably get it wrong.

Ha! :lol:

Forums are a little different I suppose but there are some the shocking, basic spelling errors in the media. I'm a little old fashioned in that if I'm presenting something to a number of people, I dot the Is and cross the Ts. It looks sloppy otherwise. It's a habit that was trained into me so I'll do it even if people DON'T actually see what I'm writing. It's hard enough to earn people's respect and maintain any credibility as it is, without making things harder for myself.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
my my you are precious of your unsuccessful club

you would laugh if it was carlton directed and they wrote of kicking it to fev??

or brown at the lions???

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.