2009 Probable Draft Selections

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saintersss
Club Player

I've been thinking we need another player up forward, since our midfield kick very little goals we really need some guys up front. And i don't really think Allen is going to make it, from what i saw this year (not much) he didn't look that great and he was a pick in the 50's so i guess that does not mean much potential.

Someone like Aaron Cornelious (probably not good enough for a pick 13) but word is he is one of the best forwards in this draft and already developed.

Or maybe Lewis Johnstone (if he gets to us) or Shaun Mckernan (could also get time in the ruck)

And for a KPD maybe someone like Alex Silvangi with pick 63... Good thing about this guy is that he is already a developed player at 22 years old.

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

I've been tossing around just what we will be targeting with our first selection.

As saintersss suggested if a good forward slipped to our selection they must be seen as a high priority as we have cleared out several backup key/3rd tall forwards in Gardiner, Ferguson and the retirement of Gehrig.

However there is still the need for a key defender also. People can sit here and list Hudghton, Maguire, S.Fisher, Blake and Gilbert as key defenders as well as Gwilt and Allen. However Hudghton is quite likely into his last season next year, Maguire still has question marks over his fitness, Sam is ever needing to be released as a prime rebounder and the coaching staff have even expressed their desire for Gilbert to be released into a more attacking role.

I'd say that leaves a spot for a primary key defender in which we have several options available to us in this draft pool.

Looking at our midfield stocks we are currently doing well enough to not focus on a midfielder with our first selection. The inclusion of Ray and potential addition of Cousins further lower the need for a midfielder with our first selection. However Tom Swift could be a major exception. I'll talk more on him later. Other midfielders such as Stephen Hill, Sam Blease and Mitch Robinson just don't have that real specialness about them worthy of making them an exception to the "no need for a midfielder with pick 13" rule.

Small defenders shouldn't be worth a look with an early selection however this does need to be addressed later in the draft.

A small forward? The prospect of Chris Yarran just maybe sliding to selection 13 is very, very exciting. Nic Heyne would have been worth a look had we kept our second round selection but not as early as pick 13.

A ruckman with our first rounder for a second year running doesn't appeal to me.

Without even picking and choosing players for positions I made myself a shortlist of players I'd be exceptionally happy with selecting with pick 13. Look I'd be happy with a number of players with our first selection and once they are selected they will have my full support however there are always a few that you really dig for. It just so happens to be that my list compiles of four very different players.

My Selection 13 Shortlist

Lewis Johnston - 192cm - 87kg - Key/Third Tall Forward:
Was the focal point of South Australia's forward line during the championships. Easily one of the better tall forwards in the draft and he would slot into the side as a third tall as early as round one next year. He is a booming kick and has constantly shown he can kick goals from 50m. He has got a very good goal sense and he is a strong contested mark but its his ability to present on a lead which makes him stand out. Skills are, simply put, brilliant both in general play and in going for goal. Would compliment Riewoldt beautifully in the forward line.

Chris Yarran - 180cm - 84kg - Small/Medium Forward:
Come draft day and Yarran's name isn't read out before our pick I will literally be jumping up and down with excitement. Until fairly recently I'd only seen a few highlights from Yarran's championships, while impressive, his stats suggested he went missing for a large majority of the games. However I managed to watch a few quarters of some Swan Districts matches and I'm super impressed. This guy will leave you absolutely stunned with some of his plays once he makes the big league. Watching him I believe he will be the sort of player who steps up when on a field amongst higher quality players. He would be able to fit straight into the side as a small goalkicker. He is quite good overhead also so he could certainly get away with being the third lead up forward.

Tom Swift - 192cm - 84kg - Midfielder:
The skills of this guy should really make him the number one selction. However fate has had it that he should suffer a serious injury on each of his knees. This means that most likely Swift will be falling down the draft list but so did Chris Judd with his shoulder and Joel Selwood with his knee. The risk is certainly there but with a clear cut standout player it can be more than worthwhile.

Jackson Trengove - 197cm - 79kg - Key Defender/Forward/Ruckman:
Highly mobile utility who I see forging an AFL career as a key defender. He is one of the best contested markers coming through the junior ranks and he reads the play very well. To be honest think of a young Koschitzke but add more mobility and probably a better ability to read the play. As a key defender he could be used as a part timer as early as soon as 2009 however I see him being able to take a key defensive post come the day Hudghton retires.

Pick any one of those four and I'll be a very happy fan!

adobe
Club Player

Saintersss wrote:I've been thinking we need another player up forward, since our midfield kick very little goals we really need some guys up front. And i don't really think Allen is going to make it, from what i saw this year (not much) he didn't look that great and he was a pick in the 50's so i guess that does not mean much potential.

Someone like Aaron Cornelious (probably not good enough for a pick 13) but word is he is one of the best forwards in this draft and already developed.

Or maybe Lewis Johnstone (if he gets to us) or Shaun Mckernan (could also get time in the ruck)

And for a KPD maybe someone like Alex Silvangi with pick 63... Good thing about this guy is that he is already a developed player at 22 years old.
Agree about Silvagni just turned 21 .Possible replacement for MAx in the future

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

An outstanding summation SaintBot.

Swift & Yarran are my top priorities. I really like Shoenmakers too.

The game at the nats that I saw Johnstone play was anything but impressive. He beat up a very average NSW side & couldn't hit the side of a barn when kicking at goal. I won't hang him on one game as he's obviously very highly rated.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

We must now take into consideration other players we may get our hands on in other ways than the draft. I mean, Ben Cousins, Tommy Walsh (if he is as good as they say), Neale McKeever. If we should get Walsh, we would not need to select a KPFwd with our first pick. Yarran or Swift for mine.