Brad Howard...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Brad Howard...

Just what is the go with this kid???

I have only seen him play the one game out of the two he has played, but was not impressed.

Yes that maybe harsh but that is the only game I saw the kid...

No one has ever mentioned a potential delisting and many have offered over names...

He will be 22 next year and from what I hear he has signed a two year contract, when Eddy was only offered 1...

So, if that's correct, Howard's contract will expire when he turns 24...

The club must have big wraps on this kid IMO, but seeing just one of his two games, I would have thought that Eddy offered more...

What are your thoughts on Howard?

and is the two year contract right compared to Eddy?

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Re: Brad Howard...

St Fidelius wrote: He will be 22 next year and from what I hear he has signed a two year contract, when Eddy was only offered 1...

So, if that's correct, Howard's contract will expire when he turns 24...
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

What are your thoughts on Howard?

and is the two year contract right compared to Eddy?
from what I read the club did NOT disclose the number of years for MG, Eddy or Milne- But I also heard that Milne had in fact been offered 2 - so the smae could be so for Rob

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Must be paying him peanutes, occasionally shown something at VFL, but IMO he wont cut it...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

I,m not knocking the kid, but I just wondered why he was offered 2 years and Eddy 1 year...

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
iceman
Club Player

seems to have pace but always arrives at the contest half a step late, skills ok when out in the open, started to have shots for goal from 50m later in the year when confidence grew... trialled as a tagger and either did his job or got smashed, doesn't have the smarts to play as his own midfielder, and gets lost and loses his player when on the HBF/BP.... having said that, good luck to the kid. But doubt he will be tearing down the house or in our 22 for any decent slice of next season.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Brad Howard...

St Fidelius wrote:Just what is the go with this kid???

I have only seen him play the one game out of the two he has played, but was not impressed.
Howard was at around VFL reserves level when he played those games. He's come on since then but struggled in the latter half of this year.

He was picked as an athlete who could play football okay, but perhaps didn't have the opportunities to learn the game as well as some of the TAC cup kids.

Was always going to be a longer term prospect. He's quick and disposal is good, not a huge kick of the ball but his pace makes up for that.

His improvement will be mostly confidence based, from all reports.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Although on the surface it looks a little odd, we need to trust the club. They know a whole lot more than us !!

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:Although on the surface it looks a little odd, we need to trust the club. They know a whole lot more than us !!

Yep Eastern, a little odd in offering a project player a longer term than Eddy..

The club must have huge hopes in this kid to secure him until 24 years of age IMO...

I hope they have got this one right, because they is going to be a few chopped off the list for next year

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

I remember seeing him in the intra club practice match this year and commenting that I don't think he will make it.

Nothing has happened to change my mind and I've seen him at least 6 times this year with Scorps.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:I remember seeing him in the intra club practice match this year and commenting that I don't think he will make it.

Nothing has happened to change my mind and I've seen him at least 6 times this year with Scorps.
well it has me beat that he was rumoured to sign a two year deal and Eddy just the 1...

I was just wondering why Howard was never considered as a delisting..

and if truth be known his contract sees him to 24 years of age

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Im still not wrapt on the whole Howard trade and consider it one of Beveridges worst - there were other "footballers" wecould have landed - from memory Bachar Houli/Hislop went later......but we caught the "lets get ourselves an athlete first and footballer second" bug at 2nd round in a strong draft. Dumb.

Time is a precious commodity - we seem better than most to spend 4 - 5 years trying players out before we ultimately wise up and move on. Its to long. I know not every player drafted is a Judd but in the scheme of developing and bringing on footballers we have to get smarter at:

1. Identifying the will make it and developing them.
2. Recognising they havent got it moving them on.

How long on Brooks?
Murray?
Raymond (geezus EVERYONE knew this guy was built like a prey mantis and wasnt gonna cut it FFS)
Ferguson?

I reckon we are heading down this path with Howard and maybe MQualter...

“Yeah….nah””
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

The only game I saw him play was running down the Moorabbin wing with the ball held, by his own hands, to the back of his neck....

Yes unique, but hardly worthy of a two year deal, compared to Eddy's one..

They must have huge rapts on this guy, or at least I hope so...

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

I think the 2006 draft will be seen as the end of the "athlete as a footballer" phase.

Tom Hogan ripped the draft camp apart, reports are that Howard would have been up there too if he had attended.

Where are they now?

The idea is that anyone that possesses the athleticism as well as the drive and motivation can become an AFL footballer.

I think it's fast becoming a fallacy. Either that or that they will become longer term prospects, and thus become later and later picks in the draft.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Wasn't Raymond on the list for just two years? The minimum if taken in the national draft?

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

I was on here when he was selected in the draft

The moaning and groaning from a couple of the "I know better than the recruiting Dept" types was shocking

For that reason alone I hope he kicks ass in 2009 :-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
spiral2
Club Player

must admit I haven't seen much to convince me he will be better than a GOP, if at all. and I don't really believe the athletic hype either, doesn't look that quick to me in games and he didn't stand out in the endurance stuff I saw last summer.

I hope he does come good and from reports he did improve with Casey which is a good sign but, as pointed out, it's a slow build and maybe one that isn't worth the wait.

His skills and running ability seem fine but he appears to lack in two key areas, footy smarts and intensity/competitiveness. I'm not sure you can lack in both those areas and make it at afl.

what would his role be anyway - HBF, BP, wing?

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:I was on here when he was selected in the draft

The moaning and groaning from a couple of the "I know better than the recruiting Dept" types was shocking
From memory 'they' were talking about picking up Clayton Collard with that pick.

Where is he again? Oh, delisted from Freo and picked up by Richmond in the PSD.

Saints94
SS Life Member

Just give him time, maybe we need to give him alot more time to star :?

Solar
Saintsational Legend

turns 22 in december so will be 23 in the final year of his contract. Is being given the 4 years to develop. They are still teaching the kid to play, showed some form half way through the year but drifted by the end. Has the atributes to play off half back but will need a lot of work on his reading of the ball.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Red
Club Player

Other than Sam Fisher he would be the most improved player at the club in

the last 12 months. Watching him hardly get a kick in the reserves for the

scorps to playing some reasonable games in the seniors especially mid-

season. I can only imagine that the coaching staff wish every player would

develop at that rate. He is a good size, has good skills, is quick and can

run. Hopefully he can continue to improve at that rate and put on some

weight and gain some strength over the pre-season.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

I hope you guys are right.

Because if he shows nada in 2009, he'll be given the treatment Fiora is getting now.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Red wrote:Other than Sam Fisher he would be the most improved player at the club in

the last 12 months. Watching him hardly get a kick in the reserves for the

scorps to playing some reasonable games in the seniors especially mid-

season. I can only imagine that the coaching staff wish every player would

develop at that rate. He is a good size, has good skills, is quick and can

run. Hopefully he can continue to improve at that rate and put on some

weight and gain some strength over the pre-season.
Well he is the most improved we are in real trouble or he was coming off a very low base. Was again no better than an average seconds player and was even dropped one week when we were only able to play 12 players at Scorps. He may improve next season but will never be anything other than depth.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote: Well he is the most improved we are in real trouble or he was coming off a very low base. Was again no better than an average seconds player and was even dropped one week when we were only able to play 12 players at Scorps. He may improve next season but will never be anything other than depth.
Why then has he been given a two year deal and Eddy just the 1 year???

I am really at a loss on this one

Saints94
SS Life Member

St Fidelius wrote:
plugger66 wrote: Well he is the most improved we are in real trouble or he was coming off a very low base. Was again no better than an average seconds player and was even dropped one week when we were only able to play 12 players at Scorps. He may improve next season but will never be anything other than depth.
Why then has he been offered a two year deal and Eddy just the 1 year???

They must see Howard as a real long-term prospect then?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
Why then has he been offered a two year deal and Eddy just the 1 year???

Because that is my opinion only and the club obviously see more than me and have a better idea about players than me or others who think Howard is just a footballer.