HELP SAINTSATIONAL - Donations for running costs!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

GrumpyOne

Top effort Guys.

It looked touch and go for a while there, but a bit of whip work from Bakesfan got us over the line.

Bring on the sponsorship..... On the back of this I reckon we could go for half the team.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Love it, especially the $3.

Shows the smallest donation still counts.

Good work to those who organised this.

:D

VietNam_Saint
Club Player

Thank you to those who could and did.

Thanks Mr Magic.

What will be next from this club ?
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Well done to everyone who contributed. Again Mr Magic, it would be interesting to see in the end how many people did chip in.

Well done, we're safe for another year now, onto the sponsorship!

matrix
Saintsational Legend

well done peeps.

now just to add.
i got a rather touchy PM asking me pretty much who the hell i was to say people should be donating whatever they can afford.

well im sorry to the pm'er, but we just got enough to host this site for a year.

we never asked EVERYONE to chip in....maybe u should read what Bakes said in the posts he made.
it was to all those that could afford a tenner a buck or even a fifty to help out, that werent actually donating when they COULD afford it

and like iceman said...that small donation of $3 helped towards the cause because its 3 bucks more than what the kitty had before u donated.
and who cares what u can afford quite frankly.....every cent counts

i reckon a lot of posters would have missed the sticky, as they do, (i actually always read them, when there is a new post as i notice the red tags next to the sticky)...but the thread got bumped by a few, the site is safe for another year and we can now go ahead and let the peeps that put a lot of time and effort into the admin side behind the scenes do their thing

good work people.

battye
Saintsational Legend

Thanks to everyone that donated, we really appreciate it.

Nowhere has anyone made any demands that you must donate, which is why we didn't go to such extremes as paying a "registration fee" or a "membership fee" - because we certainly appreciate that not everyone is able to contribute due to various reasons. :)

We'll keep this open for a little while longer as it would be nice to create a bit of a buffer seeing as the Aussie dollar is losing so much ground against the US dollar. We need about USD $700, so anything over around $1150 AUD should cover us.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

battye wrote:Thanks to everyone that donated, we really appreciate it.

Nowhere has anyone made any demands that you must donate, which is why we didn't go to such extremes as paying a "registration fee" or a "membership fee" - because we certainly appreciate that not everyone is able to contribute due to various reasons. :)

We'll keep this open for a little while longer as it would be nice to create a bit of a buffer seeing as the Aussie dollar is losing so much ground against the US dollar. We need about USD $700, so anything over around $1150 AUD should cover us.
yeah I appreciate that...

I really can't see why this cannot continue as an on going thing...

I haven't made a contribution to date as I have amassed some huge debts due to the stock market situation.

but really, there should be a "buffer" plus on going enhancements and updating to the site, and I see no reason for the contributions to cease.

I will make a contribution, but it may take a month or two.

Again, this should be ongoing and anything left over should be carried over for the next season.

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

GrumpyOne wrote:Top effort Guys.

It looked touch and go for a while there, but a bit of whip work from Bakesfan got us over the line.
Some might argue that it was our grumpy political lobbyist that got us over the line !!

BakesFan
SS Life Member

GrumpyOne wrote:Top effort Guys.

Bring on the sponsorship..... On the back of this I reckon we could go for half the team.
LOL!! You were the one cracking the whip, G.O... I was just trying to lend some moral support.
Terrific effort from everyone involved, and no donation was too small.
I LOVE the fact that $2 or $3 contributions came in..they were as important as any.
If every registered member did that ($2) we could probably get by with tri-annual funding drives.

How does the sliding exchange rate effect the site-hosting costs, Mr Magic?
Do we need to raise more?

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
BakesFan
SS Life Member

Eastern wrote: Some might argue that it was our grumpy political lobbyist that got us over the line !!
Exactly right, Eastern.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

Iceman234 wrote:Love it, especially the $3.

Nice to think the extra $3 came from some little kid or poor student raiding their piggy bank but I think it is more likely that it came from some freak who donated $23 in honour of Kosi. :oops:

BakesFan
SS Life Member

kosifantutti23 wrote:Nice to think the extra $3 came from some little kid or poor student raiding their piggy bank but I think it is more likely that it came from some freak who donated $23 in honour of Kosi. :oops:
Well done. :D :D

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

kosifantutti23 wrote:

Nice to think the extra $3 came from some little kid or poor student raiding their piggy bank but I think it is more likely that it came from some freak who donated $23 in honour of Kosi. :oops:
that's fine maybe more could donate to the value of their favourite Player's jumper number

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
PLUGGER14
Club Player

saintbrat wrote:
kosifantutti23 wrote:

that's fine maybe more could donate to the value of their favourite Player's jumper number
Go Grammy :wink: :wink:

BakesFan
SS Life Member

PLUGGER14 wrote: Go Grammy :wink: :wink:
Go Bakes!!! hahahaha

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

If people are still donating or are about to donate, I ask that you let Mr Magic know via PM when it has been done with a name or referral number.

Thanks!

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

This fundraising effort posed some interesting points/questions.
As usual with anything ran on a voluntary basis, the work is left to the few. AND that extends to running costs.
Stickies are generally not read by most.
Personal attacks dont help the cause.
Keeping SS up and running is going to be an ongoing concern, and many thanks to, I think I got this right, Battye, for the hard work and hard earnt in the past!

My take on running costs:
# I would love to see a major sponsor, not the club, pitch in for hosting fees, in exchange for a single banner across the top. I was pretty miffed this year when the club censored posts when they dont have any financial input.
# I maintain that if it could be negotiated WOM and SS should merge. The costs would be halved and the combined sites would warrrant a VPN.
# Although the current size avatars dont increase bandwidth hugely, I would like to see another reduction in size. Definitely no animations. Every little bit helps.

My take on the poor contribution rate.
# I participate in the robust world of on-line forums. I understand that any man and fool can post what they like. But in the early days what i wasnt prepared for was being absolutely flamed by "seasoned" posters here.
And not just content to flame in the open but to go to the effort to start filling your PM box as well.
SS is not an overly welcoming place for newbies, which surprises me given we all come here for the same purpose, ok not purpose, the same reason, nope not reason either, maybe just because we happen to follow the same footy team.
There is definitely clubs and factions, and if a newbie gets caught in the middle, lookout. Why should they suddenly dig deep, besides in the off season only the desperate are here anyway.

# stickies are fine for SS veterans, but it took me a while to catch on what the player sponsorship was all about. In the early days I could not believe the number of obviously wealthy private player sponsors that spent their days here. I have no doubt that most people did not even read the stickie/post.

# Hate the idea of ranks, not even fussed with the idea of adding it to my footer. I know I contribute and thats enough. Some of you guys are lucky I'm not running the place, if it were up to me, I would divvy up the running costs by the number of posts then charge you at the end of the financial.
A true user pays system... Mods excepted of course. 8-)

Seeya
PLUGGER14
Club Player

sunsaint wrote:This fundraising effort posed some interesting points/questions.
As usual with anything ran on a voluntary basis, the work is left to the few. AND that extends to running costs.
Keeping SS up and running is going to be an ongoing concern, and many thanks to, I think I got this right, Battye, for the hard work and hard earnt in the past!

# I would love to see a major sponsor, not the club, pitch in for hosting fees, in exchange for a single banner across the top. I was pretty miffed this year when the club censored posts when they dont have any financial input.
# I maintain that if it could be negotiated WOM and SS should merge. The costs would be halved and the combined sites would warrrant a VPN.
# Although the current size avatars dont increase bandwidth hugely, I would like to see another reduction in size. Definitely no animations. Every little bit helps.

# I participate in the robust world of on-line forums. I understand that any man and fool can post what they like. But in the early days what i wasnt prepared for was being absolutely flamed by "seasoned" posters here.
And not just content to flame in the open but to go to the effort to start filling your PM box as well.
SS is not an overly welcoming place for newbies, which surprises me given we all come here for the same purpose, ok not purpose, the same reason, nope not reason either, maybe just because we happen to follow the same footy team.
There is definitely clubs and factions, and if a newbie gets caught in the middle, lookout. Why should they suddenly dig deep, besides in the off season only the desperate are here anyway.

# stickies are fine for SS veterans, but it took me a while to catch on what the player sponsorship was all about. In the early days I could not believe the number of obviously wealthy private player sponsors that spent their days here. I have no doubt that most people did not even read the stickie/post.

# Hate the idea of ranks, not even fussed with the idea of adding it to my footer. I know I contribute and thats enough. Some of you guys are lucky I'm not running the place, if it were up to me, I would divvy up the running costs by the number of posts then charge you at the end of the financial.
Put me down as a mod when you take over :wink:

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:

I agree with this, and also there seems to be no limit on a players sig, with respect to pics and size of them.

I just can't understand this...

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
GrumpyOne

sunsaint wrote:This fundraising effort posed some interesting points/questions.

Several reasons there to reinforce my happiness that you are not running the place.

:roll:

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Am more than happy to have a payment of 2 or 4 dollars per fortnight to come out my account ....

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Hope it's not too late - donation just made via bank transfer ;)

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Iceman234 wrote:Am more than happy to have a payment of 2 or 4 dollars per fortnight to come out my account ....
Yeah same, I like the BigFooty system, you pay to become a VIP member, if you aren't a VIP member you can't have Sigs, Avatars etc.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

fingers wrote:Hope it's not too late - donation just made via bank transfer ;)
never too late the exchange rate keeps dropping
annual price had risen by alteast 100 last battye mentioned.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
fingers
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:
fingers wrote:Hope it's not too late - donation just made via bank transfer ;)
never too late the exchange rate keeps dropping
annual price had risen by alteast 100 last battye mentioned.
Well I threw in 50- hope that helps