The Seaford Thread

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I agree, it's a good idea...

Though there would be costs involved, a lot of companies would be willing to donate if there was an opportunity given for brand exposure.

I used to work for an importer of electronics, the marketing department would work with the local council to arrange donations like new TV's and electrical goods to places like the local nursing homes. It would just so happen that the local paper was their to report on the story :wink:

I think this could work on a bigger scale...

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:For what it's worth, I am excited of the prospect of a new facility in Seaford. I support the fact the boys will have a decent training centre, but for purely selfish reasons I will also be relieved not to watch another training session at that cold, depressing, rundown and generally sad place.

I wonder, will people who are not supportive of the decision be willing to admit the club got it right should the move be successful?
What is generally sad about Moorabbin?

You obviously were not there in the sixties and seventies when we played there in grand finals and won our premiership.

Were you that the Thursday before the '97 grand final? Nothing sad about thousands of Saints supporters egging on their heros.

Many great memories of Moorabbin Oval and no sad depressing ones.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
ohwhenthesaints! wrote:For what it's worth, I am excited of the prospect of a new facility in Seaford. I support the fact the boys will have a decent training centre, but for purely selfish reasons I will also be relieved not to watch another training session at that cold, depressing, rundown and generally sad place.

I wonder, will people who are not supportive of the decision be willing to admit the club got it right should the move be successful?
What is generally sad about Moorabbin?

You obviously were not there in the sixties and seventies when we played there in grand finals and won our premiership.

Were you that the Thursday before the '97 grand final? Nothing sad about thousands of Saints supporters egging on their heros.

No, I am one of those wipper snappers that wasn't born then.

I am not saying the memories are sad, of course I can appreciate the history of the ground. However it's just like when you visit a run-down and neglected property, and you are told it cannot be restored to it's former glory. It's sad, the place just makes me feel depressed... :cry:

I would suggest that the new premises have a museum, and we should bring as much stuff that can be unbolted and that isn't tied down.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:
It's sad, the place just makes me feel depressed... :cry:
Jeff can help you.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:What is generally sad about Moorabbin?

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:No, I am one of those wipper snappers that wasn't born then.

I am not saying the memories are sad, of course I can appreciate the history of the ground. However it's just like when you visit a run-down and neglected property, and you are told it cannot be restored to it's former glory. It's sad, the place just makes me feel depressed... :cry:

I would suggest that the new premises have a museum, and we should bring as much stuff that can be unbolted and that isn't tied down.
I think the point ohwhenthesaints is making is that it not the memories and history but the run down condition of the place...

and for what is worth we NEVER played there in a Grand Final...

Yes, I know what you mean, but the same can be said for Glenferrie Oval.. so much history in Grand Finals there, but they have moved on...

I agree that some "stuff" from Morrabbin should be bought across to the new training venue as part of our historyl

But Moorabbin is dead as much as Glenferrie is IMO

oh and if borderbarry is reading this... please read your personal messages

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

casey scorp wrote:
What I find instructive is that:

* the term "$1.43m, plus all additional costs" is repeated in precisely the same manner - even to the extent of having a comma in the same place in each of them. It has obviously been lifted directly out of an agreed set of words. The intention is thus very clear - to emphasise that the club is picking up any extra costs
* the Council media release says that the project is "$11 million plus" whereas it is simply $11 million in the football industry media releases. The Council is being very particular, and is making it clear that it expects the cost to be more than $11 million, the total cost isn't known, and that St KFC is picking up every bit of the "plus" on its own.
Very interesting indeed!

Plus additional costs, something I believe that AF has generally not chosen to include in most correspondence!

The plus additional costs seem to be the one thing that isn't always mentioned, even in the response I received in an email!

As for consultation or being upfront with the members that the club were going to relocate to Frankston, when they were wooing the members for support in the ballot, it seems to be the new administrations way of doing things.

They promised, promised that and within 5 minutes we are up and off to Frankston, a relocation location already decided on before the ballot by the current board, but something they chose not to reveal to the members, when they were in full spin mode and they were chasing the members votes!

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

The relocation is just another example of the utter contempt shown to the members by the current board.

At the time of the ballot, the current board knew full well of the location yet when asking for the members votes, chose not to reveal that they were going to locate the St.Kilda Football club to Frankston>Seaford.

This is disingenuous at best and imo, shows compete and utter contempt to the members of this club.

With such a monumental decision further locating the club away from the city centre and ignoring the oppportunity to locate the club back closer to the St.Kilda area, it has not only passed up a significant opportunity, but it is now basing an AFL club in Seaford of all places!

With the initial deal falling through, the immediate response from the board was to not canvass other possibilities, but to go hunting for any vacant lot in the Frankston area, revealing their fixed agenda and their tunnel vision for the future!

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
Pilgram
Club Player

get over it.
st. kilda is now strategically positioned as the club of the south east in a national competition ensuring a future which is more than anyone can say for north and/or melbourne.

GrumpyOne

barks4eva wrote:The relocation is just another example of the utter contempt shown to the members by the current board.

At the time of the ballot, the current board knew full well of the location yet when asking for the members votes, chose not to reveal that they were going to locate the St.Kilda Football club to Frankston>Seaford.

This is disingenuous at best and imo, shows compete and utter contempt to the members of this club.

With such a monumental decision further locating the club away from the city centre and ignoring the oppportunity to locate the club back closer to the St.Kilda area, it has not only passed up a significant opportunity, but it is now basing an AFL club in Seaford of all places!

With the initial deal falling through, the immediate response from the board was to not canvass other possibilities, but to go hunting for any vacant lot in the Frankston area, revealing their fixed agenda and their tunnel vision for the future!
Why do I continually get a sense of deja vu when I read B4's posts?

Pilgram
Club Player

barks4eva wrote:The relocation is just another example of the utter contempt shown to the members by the current board.

it aint the VFL any more.
its big business.
pre-season games are played on three seperate continents and you have the ignorance to debate growth.
grow up!

Pilgram
Club Player

GrumpyOne wrote:

Why do I continually get a sense of deja vu when I read B4's posts?
de-ja-something....................and it aint vu

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Pilgram wrote:

its big business.
pre-season games are played on three seperate continents and you have the ignorance to debate growth.
grow up!
So, are you predicting AFL is going global?

Even the NFL hasn't managed that and no way AFL ever will.

Just the AFL wasting our money by playing any games, at all, overseas.

Pilgram
Club Player

the game is a national game.
the AFL insist on playing these games overseas and in the proliferation of inner-city teams.
i agree that these games are a waste of money, however if it attracts sponsors like etihad and allows st. kilda to develop an elite facility then i'm all for it.
this is not the VFL any more .. this is big business.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Bernard Shakey wrote:
Pilgram wrote:

its big business.
grow up!
So, are you predicting AFL is going global?

Even the NFL hasn't managed that and no way AFL ever will.

Just the AFL wasting our money by playing any games, at all, overseas.
I think Pilgram's point is that the whole suburban rivalry as well as "heartland" era has long gone.

Yes the Bulldogs home is in Footscray, but even they now call themselves the Western Bulldogs... and given the demographics, I dare say that the majority of the Footscray population do not follow The Bullies... as do the Tigers... as do the Kangas.

So this whole argument is null and void IMO. Sure, let's discuss the financial aspects... but sheesh, let's cut the crap about spiritual homes etc.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.