St Kilda & The Media !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Not a bad reply from Archie.

The club certainly needs to be less paranoid about the media, but at least Archie acknowledges it has been neglected over recent years.

There's really no excuse for poor media relations, particuarly for a club like ours which be should be clawing for space.

Because remember, good media relations = more publicity = more attractive for sponsors = more money to buy better recruting staff = better list = premiership.

Sort of.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

http://www.saintsational.com/forum/view ... 42&start=0
Ken :
You spoke of being under the radar, but one journalist described us as the equal worst club in terms of media access.
Archie :
Hawthorn was equal worst and Geelong the year before so it is not all bad.
Seriously - Ross has spoken with us after the season and recognised we need to do more to market the club.
We met with Ch 7 and Ch 10 and newspapers.
Some journos can now call Ross direct.
Other examples are the recent double page spreads on Ross and the Nick tattoo piece.

edit; impression was the club realised they had exerted extreme control of the media coming out of the club and along with Ross ( as above) are working out a way to garner more relaxed access by the media- including the selection BY Ross of a number of journalists who can ring him directly.

in light of this this article by Caro is quite poitned to a couple of clubs,- ie Hawthorn
http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/c ... 92253.html
Footballers at some clubs are in danger of becoming so boxed in to their rarefied environments that they will have no hope of functioning in society once they are retired. Not every journalist resorts to a hidden tape recorder or visits disoriented footballers at home unannounced and not all media purchase stolen medical documents.
Last edited by saintbrat on Sun 01 Mar 2009 4:58pm, edited 1 time in total.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Geelong and the Hawks won the last 2 flags....give me that over being nice to the media anyday.

Problem is, our club can't do either right at the moment, and if anything, we need more media to help build our membership numbers!

RBnW
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:Geelong and the Hawks won the last 2 flags....give me that over being nice to the media anyday.

Problem is, our club can't do either right at the moment, and if anything, we need more media to help build our membership numbers!
That was the point that Archie made at the AGM, if the trend was Geelong and then Hawks were the worst perormers in the media and now its us, the maybe there is a trend....... :!: :?: this is what he said at the AGM....... :? last year at this time we could have said the same about the Hawks..... :? no one had them for a Flag..... :roll: :roll: maybe history can repeat itself...... :?: no resaon why not..... :wink: :wink:

Our best is yet
to come......
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

RBnW wrote:That was the point that Archie made at the AGM, if the trend was Geelong and then Hawks were the worst perormers in the media and now its us, the maybe there is a trend...
There's no excuse for the club to continue as they have with the media. It's unacceptable and must change.

But there's no question that the club realises they've f****d up. Archie admitted it. Ross admitted it.

The question needs to be asked why we went schizo in the first place, but look...better late than never, and if we never find out, then so be it.
Hopefully the club can make good on its promise to be a strong media performer.

The fans will be happy; the sponsors will be happy and who knows, we might finally get the hang of things.

Of course, top of our priorities should be winning a premiership, but there's no harm in acting as a professional club should act.

Richter
SS Life Member

evertonfc wrote: There's no excuse for the club to continue as they have with the media. It's unacceptable and must change.

But there's no question that the club realises they've f****d up. Archie admitted it. Ross admitted it.

The question needs to be asked why
I would imagine a combination of a few factors.....

1. The fall out from the RB/GT falling out. I remember a couple of Saints media outings - RB on SEN breakfast show - and a piece on the Footy show. Both showed the club in a really bad light. Perhaps there was a conscious decision to ensure no similar "bad publicity".

2. The inexperience of GW and RL. Neither used to being in the media eye. Probably worried they would make a mistake and would therefore rather say nothing. In RL's case, I do think that he showed last season that he is lightening up. Hopefully, it seems that he is growing into his job and that includes the media relations.

I doubt that GW will change - realistically I suppose he doesn't really need to - from what one hears he'll likely step down from the presidency sooner rather than later.

Vital that there is a front man on the admin side f things though - the new CEO will nedd to be a good (though mot neccessarily experienced IMO) media performer.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Fair call Richter. The amount of public damage RB did by airing his laundry in public scared the hell outta all of us. But there's a difference about being low-key and downright unprofessional/naive.

That being said, the club looked in the mirror and said as much - a great first step in my book.

Look at how Collingwood handled the Didak/Shaw incident. With absolute precision class...just how we handed the early days of 2004 (before RB hadn't lost the plot). If either thing happened right now, I shudder to think how we'd handle it.

Agree about the new CEO. A great chance for him to have a real impact for the better.

Richter
SS Life Member

evertonfc wrote:Look at how Collingwood handled the Didak/Shaw incident. With absolute precision class...just how we handed the early days of 2004 (before RB hadn't lost the plot). If either thing happened right now, I shudder to think how we'd handle it.
Again, I agree with you. Unfortunately we had only one major call and media exposure with it - the BC decision. And I think we probably stuffed up with both the decision and the media presentation of it. THough in retrospect I was a bit emotional about that so I may fairly be said to be biased.

Shame that just when Archie Fraser was really beginning to get some respect from us fans..... he gets poached!

Oh well, his move leads to an opportunity for someone else!

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote: Look at how Collingwood handled the Didak/Shaw incident. With absolute precision class...just how we handed the early days of 2004 (before RB hadn't lost the plot). If either thing happened right now, I shudder to think how we'd handle it.

query evertonfc- what part was class- came out and said they did nothing and then it blew up in their faces?

the resultant handling was better but they jumped too soon...

or was there some section that you felt worked?

not judging your statement just querying it

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Tue 23 Jun 2009 2:36am, edited 1 time in total.

5 prelims in 7 years. 40 wins from 49 games.
2009 and 2010 were 2 of the 5 best years ever by the St.Kilda FC.
Thanks for all your efforts Saints.
Richter
SS Life Member

LOL at the picture on the site you mentioned aok.....

Is that Grumpyone and Caseyscorp wistfully pointing out to Greg Westaway that the route back to Cranbourne is still viable...? :D :wink:

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:query evertonfc- what part was class- came out and said they did nothing and then it blew up in their faces?
Collingwood got straight on the front foot and acted with intent on the information they - and the police - had at the time.

Then more came out, and they quickly and openly rectified the situation.

It was handled with brilliant professionalism. The perception in footy circles was that Collingwood had the balls to announce it, go public, and then when more came out - as was unexpected, the players had sworn statements - they didn't pull punches.

It was honest and open.

And Collingwood went on to beat us that week, for the record.

aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Tue 23 Jun 2009 2:35am, edited 1 time in total.

5 prelims in 7 years. 40 wins from 49 games.
2009 and 2010 were 2 of the 5 best years ever by the St.Kilda FC.
Thanks for all your efforts Saints.
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
saintbrat wrote:query evertonfc- what part was class- came out and said they did nothing and then it blew up in their faces?
Collingwood got straight on the front foot and acted with intent on the information they - and the police - had at the time.

It was handled with brilliant professionalism. The perception in footy circles was that Collingwood had the balls to announce it, go public, and then when more came out - as was unexpected, the players had sworn statements - they didn't pull punches.

It was honest and open.

Eddie McGuire at the Press Conference called to exonerate his player Heath Shaw and his 'innocent bystander passenger Didak':-

'Next you'll be blaming Didak for the Kennedy Assasination!'

Initially Collingwood acted on the information they wanted to know.
As per always they 'reacted' as peapole easily found out more and more information. All Collingwood needed to do was ask any of the many witnesses who saw the players drinking, then drive away, then crash into parked cars.

Once again they acted precipitously to try and 'manage the story'.
It was a typical blatant attempt to manipulate the story/media.
No different to what they've done in the past.
No different to what they'll probably do in the future.
No different to waht most other Clubs do.
No different to what you accuse the Saints of having done.

The only difference appaears to be is that you applaud Collingfilth for doing what the Saints have attempted to do - handle/manage/manipulate the stories.

As for the 'perception in footy circles' - you've got a short memory. My memory is that the 'severe penalties' handed out to Shaw, Didak and Shaw were for 'emabarassing' Eddie and Malthouse, not for their disgraceful behaviour. And for once the Media took Collingwood to task for it.

As for the win over us - may I humbly suggest it had more to do with Malthouse's ability to lift his team in a time of adversity than anything to do with Collingwood being 'honest, open and professional'.

I am absolutely astonished that you could possibly think that this sorry episode was handled with 'brilliant professionalism' and use it as a prime example of how the Saints should deal with the media?

I would be embarassed by our Club if they were to follow this example. I would much prefer they follow the Geelong model re Steve Johnson.
Tell the truth and cop the consequences, instead of obfuscate, sweep it under the carpet, lie, deflect, and generally treat us all with contempt.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I seem to remember the media going crook about access to WCE when Malthouse was coach..didn't stop them winning a flag or two.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
evertonfc wrote:

It was honest and open.

Eddie McGuire at the Press Conference called to exonerate his player Heath Shaw and his 'innocent bystander passenger Didak':-

'Next you'll be blaming Didak for the Kennedy Assasination!'

Initially Collingwood acted on the information they wanted to know.
As per always they 'reacted' as peapole easily found out more and more information. All Collingwood needed to do was ask any of the many witnesses who saw the players drinking, then drive away, then crash into parked cars.

Once again they acted precipitously to try and 'manage the story'.
It was a typical blatant attempt to manipulate the story/media.
No different to what they've done in the past.
No different to what they'll probably do in the future.
No different to waht most other Clubs do.
No different to what you accuse the Saints of having done.

The only difference appaears to be is that you applaud Collingfilth for doing what the Saints have attempted to do - handle/manage/manipulate the stories.

As for the 'perception in footy circles' - you've got a short memory. My memory is that the 'severe penalties' handed out to Shaw, Didak and Shaw were for 'emabarassing' Eddie and Malthouse, not for their disgraceful behaviour. And for once the Media took Collingwood to task for it.

As for the win over us - may I humbly suggest it had more to do with Malthouse's ability to lift his team in a time of adversity than anything to do with Collingwood being 'honest, open and professional'.

I am absolutely astonished that you could possibly think that this sorry episode was handled with 'brilliant professionalism' and use it as a prime example of how the Saints should deal with the media?

I would be embarassed by our Club if they were to follow this example. I would much prefer they follow the Geelong model re Steve Johnson.
Tell the truth and cop the consequences, instead of obfuscate, sweep it under the carpet, lie, deflect, and generally treat us all with contempt.
Good reply MM,that's exactly how it happened,McGuire is a media spin doctor and he was in his element when that story first broke but once the truth came out he was left covered in egg.

I remember Collingwood people saying Eddie should leave the media spin to paid club employees ,to keep it balanced and realistic because he shoots from the hip or more to the point,he talks out of his arse....

Will the Saints ever be classed as a good club ?
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Wow, fair amount of interpretation being applied to Shaw/Didak... wouldn't have anything to do with the colours they wear would it? Collingwood bothers me as much as the next guy, but I can give them credit for what they do well.

I agree with Everton, C'wood applied a degree of professionalism in the handling of the situation from a media perspective (call it spin if you want, but out of a tough situation, they ended up looking very savvy)...

They got out on the front foot ("be blaming Didak for the Kennedy assassination..."), and when they then got hung out to dry as more facts came out, they anticipated the public backlash, and handed out a MUCH tougher punishment than they needed to.

It ended up with many believing Shaw and Didak would be traded initially, though by the time that trade week actually rolled round, the initial furor had died down, and list management was able to be properly prioritised.

Similarly with the Cousins situation, they came straight out and said no early. Compared to the Saints, who effectively courted speculation on how Cousins was going to go at St K, only to leave everyone scratching their heads at the 11th hour.

If you're a journo, who do you find easier to cover? Who do you trust more? Where are you going to spend your time to get your story?I'd suggest that in difficult circumstance (the media as moral leader), Collingwood managed not to lose any fans, and possibly even win some respect, where the Cousins decision had Saints fans threatening to tear up their memberships.

Of course it helps them to have deep ties into the media, but we need to learn to play the media game better.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:Wow, fair amount of interpretation being applied to Shaw/Didak... wouldn't have anything to do with the colours they wear would it? Collingwood bothers me as much as the next guy, but I can give them credit for what they do well.

I agree with Everton, C'wood applied a degree of professionalism in the handling of the situation from a media perspective (call it spin if you want, but out of a tough situation, they ended up looking very savvy)...

They got out on the front foot ("be blaming Didak for the Kennedy assassination..."), and when they then got hung out to dry as more facts came out, they anticipated the public backlash, and handed out a MUCH tougher punishment than they needed to.

It ended up with many believing Shaw and Didak would be traded initially, though by the time that trade week actually rolled round, the initial furor had died down, and list management was able to be properly prioritised.

Similarly with the Cousins situation, they came straight out and said no early. Compared to the Saints, who effectively courted speculation on how Cousins was going to go at St K, only to leave everyone scratching their heads at the 11th hour.

If you're a journo, who do you find easier to cover? Who do you trust more? Where are you going to spend your time to get your story?I'd suggest that in difficult circumstance (the media as moral leader), Collingwood managed not to lose any fans, and possibly even win some respect, where the Cousins decision had Saints fans threatening to tear up their memberships.

Of course it helps them to have deep ties into the media, but we need to learn to play the media game better.
Couldn't have replied any better than that, so I won't add to what you said.

Some pretty interesting logic being applied, such as this pearl:
All Collingwood needed to do was ask any of the many witnesses who saw the players drinking, then drive away, then crash into parked cars.
...but your response was spot on the money. Football clubs are not episodes of Law & Order.

All they can do is deal with the information they recieve. They act on it. If they're open and honest about that, we should applaud them. Collingwood had no reason to believe there was more to the story - and remember, of all these 'witnesses', why did it take so long to come out? And why didn't the police know? I mean, seriously. Come on. Footy clubs have to make judgements quickly and to the best of their ability; but they are not full of private investigators.

It's pretty simple.

Collingwood had the tables turned on them the next day. But what struck me was that they went out and fronted the media again.

It must have made the likes of McGuire and Pert feel about *this* tall. But they did it. And while others were spouting rubbish about Didak, Shaw, the club, etc - it was good to see a sporting organisation confront reality, swallow a bitter pill twice over and show they would not crawl into the shadows with the rock spiders.

If that's called 'spin', god help us. Pro-active media management? Sure. But there's nothing wrong with engaging the media, because, let's face it, it's still the primary way most clubs engage with fans.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
BAM! (shhhh) wrote:Wow, fair amount of interpretation being applied to Shaw/Didak... wouldn't have anything to do with the colours they wear would it? Collingwood bothers me as much as the next guy, but I can give them credit for what they do well.

Couldn't have replied any better than that, so I won't add to what you said.

Some pretty interesting logic being applied, such as this pearl:
All Collingwood needed to do was ask any of the many witnesses who saw the players drinking, then drive away, then crash into parked cars.
...but your response was spot on the money. Football clubs are not episodes of Law & Order.

All they can do is deal with the information they recieve. They act on it. If they're open and honest about that, we should applaud them. Collingwood had no reason to believe there was more to the story - and remember, of all these 'witnesses', why did it take so long to come out? And why didn't the police know? I mean, seriously. Come on. Footy clubs have to make judgements quickly and to the best of their ability; but they are not full of private investigators.

It's pretty simple.

Collingwood had the tables turned on them the next day. But what struck me was that they went out and fronted the media again.

It must have made the likes of McGuire and Pert feel about *this* tall. But they did it. And while others were spouting rubbish about Didak, Shaw, the club, etc - it was good to see a sporting organisation confront reality, swallow a bitter pill twice over and show they would not crawl into the shadows with the rock spiders.

If that's called 'spin', god help us. Pro-active media management? Sure. But there's nothing wrong with engaging the media, because, let's face it, it's still the primary way most clubs engage with fans.
Talk about 'spin'.

It took less than 24 hours for the various news outlets to 'smell a rat' with what Eddie and Collingwood were doing. There were rumours being reported on SEN within hours of the Collingwood 'presser'.
I don't believe the police were ever asked by Collingwood prior to the Collingwood 'presser' if there was more to the story or not.

Collingwood (eddie?) decided to 'head off' any criticism that was coming their way by holding the 'presser' and telling the world that Shaw, and more importantly Didak, had done 'a little wrong'.

Yes they learned the lesson from Didak's previous escapade where they tried to 'hide' his involvement with Hudson. So what did they learn? Jump in first with your own version of what happened - don't check the facts just get the 'first punch in' (to use an Eddieism).

And the assembled media took it hook, line and sinker until their mobile phones started ringing. Witnesses who were still waiting to be interviewed by the police over the matter were rushing to tell the truth.

But you feel they covered themselves with glory?

I wonder how you'd have felt if it was Butters or Westaway who'd done what Eddie did that day?
I'm willing to bet you'd have been 'baying for their blood' for not checking their facts before they made absolute and utter fools of themselves in front of the media.

Unfortunatley because you think it supports your contention of 'the Saints and the Media' you use this sorry excuse of a Collingwood attempt to manipulate the media and public opinion as a 'beacon' of how it should be done by us?

If that's the case then thank goodness you're not in charge of media management at the Club

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Ooooh - how saucy! You have to love it when it gets all personal and angry on here. Thank God indeed. And of course, it's Collingwood and thus must be evil. Presser! Eddie! Lexus! I must be a closet Magpie to even consider sympathising with the dark side?

Brilliant.

Anyway, I've made my point.

It all boils down to this in my eyes. Be open. Be honest. And yes, get on the front foot. Clubs aren't detectives. They're football clubs. They do the best they can.

How Rod Buttress and Brian Waldron handled the matter of Milne and Montagna in 2004 is a case study in exactly how to deal with the matter.

I believe in professionalism, but that's just me.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Ooooh - how saucy! You have to love it when it gets all personal and angry on here. Thank God indeed. And of course, it's Collingwood and thus must be evil. Presser! Eddie! Lexus! I must be a closet Magpie to even consider sympathising with the dark side?

Brilliant.

Anyway, I've made my point.

It all boils down to this in my eyes. Be open. Be honest. And yes, get on the front foot. Clubs aren't detectives. They're football clubs. They do the best they can.

How Rod Buttress and Brian Waldron handled the matter of Milne and Montagna in 2004 is a case study in exactly how to deal with the matter.

I believe in professionalism, but that's just me.
WTF!
You made a post - I and others disagreed. That turns it into 'all personal and angry on here'?
You can try and 'spin' it any way you want to - it doesn't change the facts. Others disagree with your pov and that doesn't make them wrong and you right. It's their opinions and they're just as valid as yours.

Get over yourself - AFAIK nobody appointed you the final arbiter of sense, logic and intelligence on here did they?

As for your condescending 'I believe in professionalism' - the truth is you left out 1 word from your statement - 'sometimes'.

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

I'm not sure there's even an interim arbiter, let alone a final arbiter of sense, logic and intelligence on this site. :wink:

Saints94
SS Life Member

I don't see what the big deal is ross is so calm with the media

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Eddie is a spin doctor..

I wouldn't give much credit to anything that he said or did..

Not many do now anyway...that's why his shows don't rate......

He bagged Kevin Rose when he took over asnd then went and lost Collingwood $9 million.....some professional....

I personally wouldn't be holding McGuire and or Collingwood up as role models.....

Anyone else is free to do as they choose.......

Will the Saints ever be classed as a good club ?
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Chasing flags in contempt of the fans
Greg Baum | March 7, 2009

AT THIS time of year, some AFL clubs raise the drawbridge and begin to wall themselves in, fortifying against the unclean of the media and football public, communicating only by dispatch, encyclical or middle finger raised over the parapet. They make no excuses. Their business is to win premierships, they say, and all else must be subordinated to that cause. No one — player, official, boot-studder — must be distracted, not even for a moment.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>...........
http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/c ... 61808.html

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY