St Kilda & The Media !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

St Kilda & The Media !!

I've heard quite a number of media commentators (tv, radio & press) stating that St Kilda are the most difficult of the Melbourne based clubs to deal with. Is this fact or a beat up? If it is true, why? Would it not be better for the club and our sponsors to try to get on with the media? Why would a major media outlet (The Age) sponsor our club if we are so difficult to deal with? Are the main people at the club (GW & AF) aware of these allegations?

From where I sit, we get our fair share of media attention, both good & bad

Many questions, not so many answers. Can anyone shed some light on this issue? !!

Langi
Club Player

I think you are right Eastern, I constantly hear Adam White ( sport 927 ) always whinging about the saints media access particularly since Ross Lyon took over.

Why can't we ever get it right ?? First it was GT and our bad relationship with the umpire fraternity and now Rossy and the media.

It would be nice to go through a whole season with a relaxed open relationship with both the media and the umpires wouldn't it.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Is it just RL who the media find it difficult to deal with though?

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
JeffDunne

Provided we're easy for the AFL to deal with I'm not too fused about the gossip rags.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

if it's 927 - I have noted for some time that they have not had near as many Footballers or caoches on as they did in the past- it may be that their management no longer has the contacts they used to have- and not just less saints but less of every team..

also on SEN less by all teams- early in their radio time SEN used to have a coach once or twice per week and work their way through the teams and on another day it was a player- BUT this is no longer the case.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
santazzi
Club Player

Before we go on, on any witch hunt and blame apportioning; can some one please precisely define for me.......(and I mean preciselly and no guessing what the media may or may not mean) what "difficult to deal with club mean"......

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

santazzi wrote:Before we go on, on any witch hunt and blame apportioning; can some one please precisely define for me.......(and I mean preciselly and no guessing what the media may or may not mean) what "difficult to deal with club mean"......
Bloody good point. I have "Asked Archie" on the other forum !!

Mooksy
Club Player

The media hardly has a decent journo. I couldn't care less how much or little we are in the media. Clubs just speak drivel anyway. Yawn.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

I think it's a tag the club has been stuck with from previous administrations/media liasons...but equally, they haven't been able to shake it.

I'd rather focus on winning premierships, but poor media relations are inexcusable in this day and age.

It should be addressed sooner rather than later, but, meh - I wouldn't hold your breath.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:I think it's a tag the club has been stuck with from previous administrations/media liasons...but equally, they haven't been able to shake it.

I'd rather focus on winning premierships, but poor media relations are inexcusable in this day and age.

It should be addressed sooner rather than later, but, meh - I wouldn't hold your breath.
I'd hate to inform you that may have got this one terribly wrong there, everton !!

The previous administration were known for encouraging the media at their fav restraunt... The Flower Drum !!

derby Street
Club Player

I think it's a valid point, but the media over here say that by far the most difficult to get access to players / coaches is Geelong. Media doesn't come easy for RL , although we seem to get a bit of exposure with Roo. Of course their all over us like a cheap suit if there is a sniff of a scandal.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Ross doesn't even like members being involved, Why do you think the media would be any different?

According to Ross footy is secret boys business.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:Provided we're easy for the AFL to deal with I'm not too fused about the gossip rags.
Exactly.

GT pissed off the AFL = we got shafted in the FIXture the following year!

Under RL, the AFL have delt us a reasonably fair hand FIXture wise.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Duggie1
Club Player

Very interesting thread. I have for a long time had a notion that we have not been the "flavour of the month" with certain journos.
Would like to know what makes RL tick in this regard.
Of course there are the favourites (clubs) such as Collingwood, Carlton, Richmond, Essendon who get into press over trivial news. They seem to feature regularly also in many ads.
IMO there is only one cure for all this-- a Flag! :lol:

Always a Saint
fingers
Saintsational Legend

I think this is old news......I know that in RL's early days there were some issues. But a number of journos have said that there has been a significant and welcome shift in how we deal with the media.

Pilgram
Club Player

face it - the eddie network only give a stuff about one thing.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:The previous administration were known for encouraging the media at their fav restraunt... The Flower Drum !!
Were they?

Unlike the rest of us, you've got the inside media goss, so spill :)

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Eastern wrote:
evertonfc wrote:I think it's a tag the club has been stuck with from previous administrations/media liasons...but equally, they haven't been able to shake it.

I'd hate to inform you that may have got this one terribly wrong there, everton !!

The previous administration were known for encouraging the media at their fav restraunt... The Flower Drum !!
it's probably more to do with the fact the Saints admin cant control the media in the way they would like to control things...hey everton :wink:
Oh and would that be little Burke st Flower Drum????
Oh how I miss that restaurant, Qld'ers wouldnt know good chinese even if it spoke cantonese to them

Seeya
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:it's probably more to do with the fact the Saints admin cant control the media in the way they would like to control things...
Contrary to popular belief, they don't control this forum. Back we'll back them on certain matters when we feel it's the right thing to do.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
Eastern wrote:The previous administration were known for encouraging the media at their fav restraunt... The Flower Drum !!
Were they?

That was widely reported here and in the media. Back when RB & GT were friends they shouted many of the media hounds (Sheahan, Coro, Fatpryk etc) to a meal at the flower drum. This might be why they are down on the club. They want more "Free" feeds. I wonder if they declare it as a fringe benifit on their tax returns? !!

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
evertonfc wrote:
Were they?

That was widely reported here and in the media. Back when RB & GT were friends they shouted many of the media hounds (Sheahan, Coro, Fatpryk etc) to a meal at the flower drum. This might be why they are down on the club. They want more "Free" feeds. I wonder if they declare it as a fringe benifit on their tax returns? !!
Maybe that explains all the good PR we used to get in the good old days (early days of GT/RB)...?

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Not sure what our relationship with them is like, not sure I really care. But it does appear as if that 'leak' we had at the club as been removed. I for one am pretty happy about that, good riddance to whoever the rat was.

As for Ross, I love the way he handles the media, he's learning all the time but fortunately he learnt very early on not to trust them.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

who cares if the media find us easy to deal with simple equasion win game become media darlings !!

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Pilgram
Club Player

I've heard quite a number of media commentators (tv, radio & press) stating that St Kilda are the most difficult of the Melbourne based clubs to deal with. Is this fact or a beat up? If it is true, why? Would it not be better for the club and our sponsors to try to get on with the media? Why would a major media outlet (The Age) sponsor our club if we are so difficult to deal with? Are the main people at the club (GW & AF) aware of these allegations?

From where I sit, we get our fair share of media attention, both good & bad

Many questions, not so many answers. Can anyone shed some light on this issue? !!
i dont see it as an "issue".
the media get what they want from the club and always have.
we give them what they want.
it depends who you listen to: radio, tv, print, cyber.

radio. we have no representation really
tv. owned by carlton and collingwood
print. we get a write-up
cyber. everyone except st. kilda (thats why this website is senonymous [because it is the view of the ppl]) when ppl from other clubs want an online view from the st. kilda perspective they observe saintsational.com

RedWhiteBlack
Club Player

Super response from our fearless leader this week :lol:
Hi Archie,

I have heard (in the media) numerous times that St Kilda is the most difficult of the Victorian based clubs for the media to deal with. Is the club aware of this? What is the club doing, both internally and externally to address this perception? Does the club feel the need to address this perception?

Cheers

Tom !!
Thanks for your email Tom.

We recognise that we’re in the entertainment business and are working tirelessly with our players and the media to ensure that all objectives are met and over achieved. I think that if you reflect on the year’s media coverage then you’ll see minimised negative press and maximised positive press – combined with extensive exposure for our major sponsor JELD-WEN.

Overall I’m happy with the progress we’ve made and where we sit in the relationship stakes with the media.
In saying that, we recognise that we will keep working on strategies to communicate details transparently to our supporters through the media.

Facts are we will never keep everyone happy on this one.

Go Saints!
Archie
Last edited by RedWhiteBlack on Sat 04 Oct 2008 6:14pm, edited 1 time in total.