rod's "betrayal" shattered me for months, says GT

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

rod's "betrayal" shattered me for months, says GT

interesting story in today's herald sun. can't find the link, but here is some of it.

by liam houlihan

grand thomas has broken his silence on his sacking as coach of st kilda, telling how rod butterss "betrayal" left him shattered for months.

in a frank and wide-ranging intreview, thomas detailed his infamous feud with butterss and told of his corporate rebirth.

thomas is running an online seller's marketplace for the nation's $6 billion grain industry. his passion, intensity and energy returned after a period of deep hurt and isolation after his shock dismissal in 2006.

"my family was shattered as i was - but i couldn't show them that," thomas, a father of eight, said.

"i was working from home and very busily doing nothing and locking myself in my office at home after the kids had gone to school and coming out at tea time. it probasbly took three or four weeks.

"i found it very difficult to concentrate, to focus on anything. my attention span was zero.

"I was trying to be big and tough, a little bit like the grieving process.

"it probably hit me a couple of months afterwards and it hit me hard.

thomas said the breakdown of his relationship with butterss after an incident in 2003 - which he would not explain - changed his opinion of the youthful club president.

"there's no doubt that if i wanted to keep my job and encourage the behaviour i could have done that but i wasn't prepared to compromise what i thought was right for st kilda football club," he said.

"i'm not here to be the moral police for anyone else, save to say rod and i had a falling out and were not able to save it.

he said that after fraser gehrig was caught urinating in a bar he was saved from being fired only by a reminder to butterss that everyone makes mistakes.

"i reminded him of some of his own behaviour and some of my own behaviour - because i'm no saint - and after that i think he understood it was probably not the best way to deal with it.

thomas is not completely cured of his football obsession. he's sometimes in his office at 6am blogging madly about football.

and there are still two hours a week when thomas channels his rage and passion as an armchair coach, screaming at his team.

"i'm worse now. in the coach's box you've got to hold a degree of decorum because there are cameras around and you need to show your group that you're in control," he said.

"sitting at home in front of an open fire with a glass of red watching the saints, i go 'bunta'. i find it very difficult to watch."

talks a lot about how he is a strong family man and how important his wife is to him.

he is unimpressed by the afl, which he says is vengeful and petulant, unable to take feedback and which treats club money as its own.

"it's common knowledge that if you upset them they get you back. they'll deny it, but that's the sentiment," he said.

"I wasn't on their christmas card list, but i was sick and tired of st kilda having the crap kicked out of it and i felt i had to insist on respectful treatment.

one issue remains unresolved.

would thomas ever genuinely smoke the peace pipe with butterss?

after a long and awkward pause he says "there's a lot of pain. a lot of pain."

after another pause he admits "if st kilda wins a premiership with its current list i will."
Last edited by bigcarl on Sun 10 Aug 2008 4:13pm, edited 1 time in total.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

thomas is not completely cured of his football obsession. he's sometimes in his office at 6am blogging madly about football.
:shock: :shock: :shock:

Now I wonder where his writings are ending up???????????

:shock: :shock: :!:

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:

he might be plugger66 :P

actually, it's an interesting thought. which poster is GT? wish he'd come out.
Last edited by bigcarl on Sun 10 Aug 2008 3:39pm, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
saint66au wrote:

he might be plugger66.
No hates umpires and isnt a wrap for the AFL but then again I may be hiding who I really am.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
he might be plugger66 :P
and he's become deliberately blindly supportive of all umpiring as part of his 'self-actualisation' therapy

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

By blogging I'm sure they mean his ninemsn blog space for wide world of sports.

Interesting article. GT is one man I'd love to meet in person and have a proper sit down and chat with. His general reputation among people involved with football isn't very good and he certainly divides many supporters, on here at least.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

SaintBot wrote:By blogging I'm sure they mean his ninemsn blog space for wide world of sports.

Interesting article. GT is one man I'd love to meet in person and have a proper sit down and chat with. His general reputation among people involved with football isn't very good and he certainly divides many supporters, on here at least.
I have met him a couple of times and you couldnt get a nicer person. His wife is also very nice. He is very interesting to chat to and certainly has strong opinions about footy.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: rod's "betrayal" shattered me for months, says

bigcarl wrote:would thomas ever genuinely smoke the peace pipe with butterss? after another pause he admits "if st kilda wins a premiership with its current list i will."
that i would like to see

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: rod's "betrayal" shattered me for months, says

bigcarl wrote:thomas said the breakdown of his relationship with butterss after an incident in 2003 - which he would not explain - changed his opinion of the youthful club president.
wonder what the incident was?

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Still waiting for a similar response from those who thought RB was wrong to be interviewed and raise old issues?

For those who've forgotten, here is a sample of the posts made when RB did an interview with Sheahan a few weeks ago.
Rod Butterss needs to keep his f***ing mouth shut.

He is the one responsible for digging up this s*** and I don't blame Blight for lobbing one back. The teams on the up, the club's trying to put the whole coaching sacking dramas behind us, and this dickwad has to drag this up?

To think he had the nerve to criticise others for doing the same.

Take your advice Rod and STFU and let those now in charge get on with running the football club you self-serving f***wit!!!

I've waited, and waited but it seems like none of those who felt so strongly on this issue is prepared to be critical of GT under similar circumstances?

Personally I thought GT's interview was quite interesting but then I didn't have a problem with RB's either.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:Still waiting for a similar response from those who thought RB was wrong to be interviewed and raise old issues?

For those who've forgotten, here is a sample of the posts made when RB did an interview with Sheahan a few weeks ago.

He is the one responsible for digging up this s*** and I don't blame Blight for lobbing one back. The teams on the up, the club's trying to put the whole coaching sacking dramas behind us, and this dickwad has to drag this up?

Take your advice Rod and STFU and let those now in charge get on with running the football club you self-serving f***wit!!!

I've waited, and waited but it seems like none of those who felt so strongly on this issue is prepared to be critical of GT under similar circumstances?

Personally I thought GT's interview was quite interesting but then I didn't have a problem with RB's either.

can't see a problem with GT's comments to be honest.

the sacking obviously hurt him deeply and i think it is safe to say that it hurt the club as well.

all water under the bridge now, of course.

the best you could hope for is that one day rb and gt do "smoke the peace pipe" .

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:Still waiting for a similar response from those who thought RB was wrong to be interviewed and raise old issues?

the sacking obviously hurt him deeply and i think it is safe to say that it hurt the club as well.

the best you could hope for is that one day rb and gt do "smoke the peace pipe" .
I wasn't having a go at GT, bigcarl.
I cannot see much wrong with this interview at all, but there appears to be some who find it acceptable for GT to be interviewed on 'old issues' whilst at the same time feel it necessary to attack and denigrate others for doing a similar thing.

Some might reasonably think this stance was a tad 'hypocritical'?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

I wasn't having a go at GT, bigcarl.
I cannot see much wrong with this interview at all, but there appears to be some who find it acceptable for GT to be interviewed on 'old issues' whilst at the same time feel it necessary to attack and denigrate others for doing a similar thing.

Some might reasonably think this stance was a tad 'hypocritical'?
Why are you surprised. The RB haters will always have a go at anything he says. Wait a little while and the GT haters will jump on board dont worry.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Actually I see a difference between the 2 'groups' Plugger.

It seems the 'GT hater group' seem to jump on GT when he either:-
says something uncomplimentary of the Club and/or its players,
does something perceived to be against the Club,
or in a general defense of perceived unwarranted criticism of RL.

On the other hand the RB hater group' seem to jump on RB if he is caught
talking,
seen anywhere,
or generally breathing in public.

It's quite amazing that both guys gave and did so much for our Club over the past 6-7 years and yet seemingly going to be remembered on Saintsational (at least) for thei mistakes rather than their positive contributions.

But then again who really knows what motivates 'agenda driven' posters?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Ahh...Grant....hes got just enough cr@p in his bag about our club to get some media headlines for years hasnt he?

I mean...carefully dropped in there that "Im not moral Police" - just enoug inference to have people in the media say....."what did Butters do back then"?

And keep fanning the flames of the whole sorry mess. F@rk this guys a creep of the highest.

HAD to lock himself in his study cause Im telling you NO CORPORATE business or other AFL club was interested in this creep - and why?

Read between the lines at the way he plays the game......he IS the utlimate Corporate Monster.

“Yeah….nah””
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Knew it wouldnt take long.

JeffDunne

Mr Magic wrote:I've waited, and waited but it seems like none of those who felt so strongly on this issue is prepared to be critical of GT under similar circumstances?
You really do need to get out more.

FWIW I've only just read the interview now thanks to bigcarl, so I apologise if I've wrecked your day while you wait around for my opinion on it. :roll:

If you really must know, ditto my comments with Rod, they both should STFU. I doubt this is the last of it too, and if what I hear is true, then brace yourself for a Saintsational meltdown.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Knew it wouldnt take long.
Its taken him a good six months Plugger but your right - he got there eventually I also knew hed have another crack at media fame...and he'll be back again.. and again...and again...

Stick fat and we'll eventually put this disease behind us. :wink:

“Yeah….nah””
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Ahoy there me harties!

Admiral G.T Hater climbing aboard and ready for duty, SIR! :lol:

Another distraction we don't need.

Why feed the flames. Especially now, getting nearer the finals?

Not the "moral Police"? I should hope not, given he has no morals FFS.
Get's apponted thru a sham process. Takes the money, then sues us. :evil:

Once again, the master of spin. Oh poor old GT the victim. No mention of his autocratic style and refusal to allow the board to structure the club in a sustainable way... No mention of his shortcomings. At least RB admitted that he farked up with Blight.

No mention of his stupid comments about umpires (right or wrong).

But no, GT was a victim, and the board was on a vendetta coz his coaching success would outshadow RB's effotrs as the prez. :roll:

Seriously, all we've now seen is they are both as bad as the other. Can't keep away from the spotlight.

More innuendo and hand-grenades IMO.

Does anyone really care? :roll:

Poor sod has no other option but to stoke up some publicity coz a media career is all he has ATM.

Maybe he should pull out his peace of pipe and let RB smoke it. A fitting end AFAIAC.

There was nothing wrong with RB's story either, but he should have refrained IMO. Same for GT.

They have BOTH done enough damage. Sad... very sad.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Knew it wouldnt take long.
:lol:

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

JeffDunne wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:I've waited, and waited but it seems like none of those who felt so strongly on this issue is prepared to be critical of GT under similar circumstances?
You really do need to get out more.

FWIW I've only just read the interview now thanks to bigcarl, so I apologise if I've wrecked your day while you wait around for my opinion on it. :roll:

If you really must know, ditto my comments with Rod, they both should STFU. I doubt this is the last of it too, and if what I hear is true, then brace yourself for a Saintsational meltdown.
Do tell... do tell :twisted:

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:I doubt this is the last of it too, and if what I hear is true, then brace yourself for a Saintsational meltdown.
tell me more :o

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

What I will say is that if these to farkwits carry on and embarrass the club, I'll be furious!

FFS, have your differences, but I URGE them both not to air their dirty linen in public and spare the club they supposedly "bleed" for any further distractions and embarrasing moments... not to metion giving the media more excuses to talk us down.

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:Ahh...Grant....hes got just enough cr@p in his bag about our club to get some media headlines for years hasnt he?

I mean...carefully dropped in there that "Im not moral Police" - just enoug inference to have people in the media say....."what did Butters do back then"?

And keep fanning the flames of the whole sorry mess. F@rk this guys a creep of the highest.

HAD to lock himself in his study cause Im telling you NO CORPORATE business or other AFL club was interested in this creep - and why?

Read between the lines at the way he plays the game......he IS the utlimate Corporate Monster.
you sound almost as if you've got a personal stake in this teffers.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote:
Teflon wrote:Ahh...Grant....hes got just enough cr@p in his bag about our club to get some media headlines for years hasnt he?

you sound almost as if you've got a personal stake in this teffers.
Well, GT did say he's a blogger... or was that flogger?

I reckon Teffers is really RB, and Babbelot is really GT. :lol:

Maybe GT is trying to do a Didak and galvanize the club so we win next week.... not :wink: