Blakes goal

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Blakes goal

How good was the gut running by our CHB last night!! Took the ball on half back. was involved with it on the wing and took a pass from rooey 45 out and sloted the goal.....

AWESOME goal blake, great game again

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
snoopygirl
SS Life Member

Was a great effort. Thought he would have been too stuffed after the hard running, but he took his time & made the distance.

Has really worked hard on his goal kicking accuracy of late & seems to have bulked up more this season too without having lost his aerobic capacity.

It's things like this that the coaches see & like, but unfortunately supporters don't always remember. Glad you highlighted it Solar.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Did not see any of the game, but good to hear this as I think Blake is underatted

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

He decided to come down and show the forwards how to kick for goal - well - that's the line he'll be taking at training this week.

His intensity seems to have increased in recent times as has his fitness, which was already good. I suppose not doing any ruck work means less knees in the body.

Raven
Club Player

Blake really seems to have found some form as of late, good on him. As many of us have said already, he puts in 100% effort every week and it's great to see him get some results like that great goal.

RBnW
Club Player

Blake just delivers every week last nights effort was as Bruce would say on 7 Speecchhiiallll....his contest in the back line and then running to take the mark and kick that goal was Speeeeecchhiiiaallllll at a tiem when we needed a goal.....not sure that TV would show just how hard he worked for that goal.......well done Blakie.....you are our BP (the quiet achiever)

Our best is yet
to come......
HarveysDeciple

Is stepping up for the Goose absence.

He's no goose circa 2005, but he is doing a handy job for the club.

Well done by an underrated player.

strauchanie
Club Player

Blake is a muchh better kick for goal than people think.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Blake has steadily improved over the last 2 years.

Asa key defender he now earns his place.

Importantly he has improved his game in 3 areas:

*Brain fades.
He used to make some bad costly mistakes virtually ever game. He has basically eliminated this trait and is now just at a normal player error rate.

*Disposal/use of the ball. Was often shocking at times in the past. Is now a 'steady' user of the ball

((I used to be quite critical of Blake for the above two reasons and am greatly pleased that he has improved in both areas))

*Spoiling. was always a useful spoiling, but now has stepped up to be a very good spoiler , second only to Max in this regard in our team. This is a very useful and desired skill in a key defender.

Now Blake was always an exceptional runner....and has always had a knack of being able to time when to find space (like Banger or Peckett)....but by improving his weaknesses he is now a reliable member of our team.

Importantly Blake stepping up as a defender is allowing Sam to be used in free running damaging roles including as a midfielder.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
taz
Club Player

big tank big heart

great effort

Zippy
Club Player

Go the mighty Blake!!!

Blindly delusional optimist. Fan of the Blake.

"If anyone disagrees with anything I say, I am quite prepared not only to retract it, but also to deny under oath that I ever said itâ€
bigred
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Blake has steadily improved over the last 2 years.

Asa key defender he now earns his place.

Importantly he has improved his game in 3 areas:

*Brain fades.
He used to make some bad costly mistakes virtually ever game. He has basically eliminated this trait and is now just at a normal player error rate.

*Disposal/use of the ball. Was often shocking at times in the past. Is now a 'steady' user of the ball

((I used to be quite critical of Blake for the above two reasons and am greatly pleased that he has improved in both areas))

*Spoiling. was always a useful spoiling, but now has stepped up to be a very good spoiler , second only to Max in this regard in our team. This is a very useful and desired skill in a key defender.

Now Blake was always an exceptional runner....and has always had a knack of being able to time when to find space (like Banger or Peckett)....but by improving his weaknesses he is now a reliable member of our team.

Importantly Blake stepping up as a defender is allowing Sam to be used in free running damaging roles including as a midfielder.
Agree with pretty much all of that post.

He can at least play in a position that is more suited to his size/weight.

Has a massive tank though. One of the fittest on our list.

Shows what hard work can do. He has copped an absolute hiding from when he was our #1 ruck (FFS). Good on him.

Anyone else notice how our half back line run like mofo's....Really, really makes opposion forwards fall over with a lack of accountability.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
esaint66
SS Life Member

strauchanie wrote:Blake is a muchh better kick for goal than people think.

Exactly i was sitting with a mate last night and he was continuously saying he was going to miss the kick and i was telling him no he will kick it and he split the middle. :wink: :lol:

Red
Club Player

I think the biggest thing he has being allowed to settle into a position.

Over the last 4 years he's being a Mr Fixit and was never really allowed to

settle. He has being excellent this year.

ozrulestrace
SS Hall of Fame

I had a "doubting Thomas" sitting in front of he said he wouldn't make the distance, but as stated in the other comments, I kept telling this gentlemen that Blake could kick the goal and then he did. Good work again Blake, may not be bleesed with the god-given talents of other players, but he is proof to other players someone can go from ordinary to a valued player in a team-any team.
Go you good thing Blakey

krabb
Club Player

The most bagged player ever in this forum...an easy target for the deranged and the mentally deficient..

It must make them enraged that he just keeps proving em wrong... :lol:

Go Blakey :wink:

maverick
Saintsational Legend

strauchanie wrote:Blake is a muchh better kick for goal than people think.
He has improved, I will give you that, off a very low base.

I think his kicking for goal looks like it has improved because the rest of the team has dropped away

Was a good goal none the less....

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Blakey is in career best form ATM !!

mischa
Club Player

Will never understand the hatred directed towards JB. Always be counted on to give his best. Just shameful the way he's treated. Thankfully, I suspect, the majority of Saints supporters (most of whom wouldn't even know this forum existed) are in his corner!

"Thanks korters. If Richmond kick more goals they'll win"-R.Scumbag (nee Walls)

The All Spin Zone-Saintsational.com
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

mischa wrote:Will never understand the hatred directed towards JB. Always be counted on to give his best. Just shameful the way he's treated. Thankfully, I suspect, the majority of Saints supporters (most of whom wouldn't even know this forum existed) are in his corner!
Let's hope that those same people (I refuse to call them fans) remember this when they are next looking for one of our players to bag !!

Johnny Favier
Club Player

Red wrote:I think the biggest thing he has being allowed to settle into a position.

Over the last 4 years he's being a Mr Fixit and was never really allowed to

settle. He has being excellent this year.
Top observation Red.

That's exactly it - tended to be a jack of all trades and master of none in days gone by - now he's had time to focus on what it takes to fill one role, he's really started to shine.

The guy is a coach's dream - does exactly what is asked of him and gives it 100% while doing so.

Every team needs their "bread and butter" players and Blakey can hold his head high as the consummate example of this.

Top stuff JB - go me old son!

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

mischa wrote:Will never understand the hatred directed towards JB. Always be counted on to give his best. Just shameful the way he's treated. Thankfully, I suspect, the majority of Saints supporters (most of whom wouldn't even know this forum existed) are in his corner!
I havent heard many attack Blake on here for some time cause facts are he has improved.

We need to "refresh" the thoughts every now and again...

“Yeah….nah””
stinger
Saintsational Legend

have always supported him...... :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

I thought he was done for when kicking for that goal. He had just run from defensive 50 and been involved with the play there.

Combine with it being Blake, who has never been a reliable shot at goal, with a distance probably on his range, and I had it pencilled in as a point.

Needless to say I was very pleased with the result :D

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

Next week's game lines up as Blake's toughest assignment yet. He will most likely go to Roughead to free up SFisher. Has been very very solid for the past few weeks and if he is able to work with Max, the Sams, etc to nullify Franklin and Roughead's impact on the match then we are very much have the %ages on our side.